"I didn't have time to do that!"

>Ask players to read the rules
>Or to read a short page/document on campaign information
>Or to have their sheet finished BEFORE the game

>There's also that one fucking guy, or several, that show up without having done anything you asked
>Always give the same whiny, bullshit excuse
>"I didn't have the time!"

>Somehow they have the time to sign up for a 7 hour campaign session but not to read a 1000 word document, or whatever other minor thing
>They think it's okay if the host sacrifices time to prepare the campaign for them and the others though

Why are players like this so self entitled and whiny?

That GM detected. Learn to work with your players.

If you have that issue, people you play with are probably young people/normies who don't want to be too involved. That might be because you're playing with IRL friends you're trying to convert to your hobby (I made that mistake with 3rd edition a long time ago). If you want a serious involving game, look for appropriate people.

>Why are players like this so self entitled and whiny?
I dunno, man. Why are DMs just as self-entitled and whiny? Why should I read your fan fiction wank when we'll be going over this same exact shit during session 0?

please kill yourself selfish child

Session 0 is objectively the best way to start a campaign. You should do it, always, no exceptions.

Because you want to be prepared and a credit to the group? because less time can be expended on remedial bullshit in that session zero? Your entitled attitude when you signed up for someone else's game is disgusting. Kill yourself and take the garbage father that allowed that pitiful attitude to thrive with you.

>joining a group for "fan fiction" then complaining about it, being a lazy unhelpful cancerous bastard to everyone else who isn't

>Spend 2-4 hours before every session preparing handouts, drawing battlemaps, crafting unique NPC's
>Memorize huge chunks to make the world seem seamless
>Players fucking love every session and express their gratitude to me

And yet, whenever I ask them to prepare, or re-read rules I noticed them having trouble remembering last session, or anything that'd take more than 5 minutes of their time:

>"I didn't have time to do that, user! I had school/activity this week, sorry :/"

Fuck you asshole! I study computer science and work part time and I still find the time to fix this shit for you. You're fucking lucky that you're such a good friend otherwise!

>someone else's game
The GM does not own the game, the group as a whole does.

>Thinks campaign information is fanfiction wank

Fuck off and go play COD and smoke weed if you think that then. In the hypothetical scenario you have no business joining a campaign to begin with.

The GM is running the game. It's their game by virtue of them doing the work.

Not every GM works this hard, but the average game host still puts work in so the players can enjoy the session.
Why should a GM host for players that won't do minor preparatory things for him?
You sound like some retarded communists that thinks all people and jobs are equal.

So read to the group group like a kinder-garden teacher when the session starts.

Having pre campaign reading material and session 0 are not mutually exclusive

>all this and doesn't diss the players/find another gaming style

You are the problem.

>7 hour session

no shit you have trouble retaining players

i run 3-4 hour sessions because everyone i game with has a fucking job

>Why are players like this so self entitled and whiny?
Because they've never actually put forth effort while GMing, so they just assume that you're some video game engine that effortlessly cranks out content for them. I refuse to play with people who haven't GM'd for me in the past. If they refuse to GM or don't have any respect for the position when they do, they aren't worth my time.

Why are wagecucks always so angry

Do you have jobs that are 9-5 and give weekends off or do you have "jobs" that change your schedule from week to week?
Because 7-10 hour sessions are fucking easy to line up on Saturdays when everyone in your group works a real job.

>Doesn't work with the GM to improve the game, or read any backstory he provides, and just shows up to be entertained
>"It's our game, too!"

>Want to give running an OSR game a shot
>Give the book to interested players, ask them to roll up a character by next week
>Explain that the nature of the game is fairly lethal and to not put much thought into a character save for maybe a previous career
>Tell them just to read the pages on chargen and equipment and not to worry about game rules
>Also add in that if they need any help they can always contact me
>Fast forward a week later
>Nobody made a character
>Much less read the book
>Ask why
>"I was writing a backstory, user!"
>"It's hard figuring out what character I want to play!"
>"I was busy with work all week, and I didn't have time to read the entire book!"

I would have preferred if they just told me they weren't interested in playing, to be honest.

>The GM is running the game. It's their game by virtue of them doing the work
How about we see what kind of game he has if none of the players show up?

I am not who you think I am. I'm willing to do those things.

He'll find more. Players are a dime a dozen, which you'd know if you'd ever run a game.

Its good players that are rare. Good players would read a document for the sake of the GM's happiness, even if they didn't think it would directly help the game.

Which it probably would, anyway.

Are you literally retarded? The point was that without players there is no game.

I'd rather have no game than one full of entitled ingrates you tremendous faggot.

Well I mean, is there any reason why you can't give them the basics? Because I've yet to play a game that didn't boil down to "roll this, add this, tell me the results, and if it's higher then you do a thing and if not, you don't do a thing."

Keep in mind, I've played 3.PF and Shadowrun.

>session 0

???

Session 0 is the latest meme fix to common player problems that never actually works because most GM's are fucking pussies.

So often I see new GM's try to run session 0, only for them to quickly discover that the problem players are still a problem and they just wasted an entire session that could've been spent actually running the game.

>they just wasted an entire session that could've been spent actually running the game.
With players who have no character, refused to read the intro material or the rules? And who also allegedly resist making characters, having a campaign overview and brief explanation of the basic rules in Session 0? Diving straight in doesn't sound like it's going to solve anything with such specimens.

>Diving straight in doesn't sound like it's going to solve anything with such specimens.
It will if you give them shit to do and reasons to give a shit about the setting to where knowledge of it becomes a boon as well as a source of information.

If you just write up trivia and dump on someone's lap, it becomes homework, and the last thing anyone wants to do is sit around studying a GM's fanfic when they haven't even had the chance to figure out whether the campaign will be interesting or not.

>So often I see new GM's try to run session 0, only for them to quickly discover that the problem players are still a problem and they just wasted an entire session that could've been spent actually running the game.

making characters and getting drunk is better than an actual session desu

>t. normiefag

There's a really simple solution to this. "then I don't have time to run a game for you. get out."

Seriously, if a player is gonna try to waste your time and everyone else's, why let them? The needs of them many outweigh some entitled little shit. Just be -1 player for a while.

Now, if ALL your players are doing this, it means your game is boring and you suck; in that case, get better at reading your players' interests and make a game they want to play in.

"That's cool. I know how hectic life can get sometimes. Tell you what, here's a book and the campaign information. There's nobody in the den right now. Why don't you read over everything and finish up your character while I get things started with everybody else? Just let me know when you're finished and I'll find a spot to drop your character in."

Got the same problem with my players not coming with a character and full backstory. So I told them I will make up or prepare some very stupid shit for everything they miss.

Don't have a character? I hope you enjoy playing a legless dwarf on a rollboard. No Backstory? How's it going Sir dickstink? Didn't read about the campaigns backstory? Better enjoy the -1 on all knowledge rolls.

My players now bring their own characters or sometimes don't if they feel like doing a not so serious game.

No.

The type of people who view campaign notes and having their sheet done as "homework" have no business in any serious campaign with a story and actual characters.

The fact that a GM has a setting and notes written up IS a reason for you to give a shit.

You can build your character with the setting in mind and have a more engaging experience.
You can know what the fuck you're getting into.

>GM's fanfic

Fuck off. People like you are why nobody wants to host anymore.
Thank god I have a group of people that'll actually read material I prepare for them.
They aren't half retarded college students too lazy to go through a 2 or 3 page document on the setting and game.

Are YOU retarded? He just said he'll just find more players if no player show up.

>The type of people who view campaign notes and having their sheet done as "homework" have no business in any serious campaign with a story and actual characters.
You trying to make a tabletop campaign more than it is ironically is what breeds this kinda mindset into people user. People play tabletop for fun and/or to hang out with their friends and treat it as a game.

Once a DM demands things of them just to get into the campaign, it makes it feel like homework that they have to do in order to play, which causes them to procrastinate and put it off until it's the start of game and they figure "eh, I'll just wing it, what's the worse that can happen?" and maybe they'll read it once the information presented actually becomes relevant to the campaign.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't reading supplementary material and using that info during play be considered metagaming?

You shouldn't, just fuck off and leave RPGs to people who actually care about playing.

This

fpbp

He gave them a short-ass one page reading and the task of filling out a character sheet. You're a braindead retard if you can't accomplish that before a game. Hell, one page is flexible enough. I wouldn't play with anyone, either as player or DM, who can't offer that minimum amount of investment.

>I am not who you think I am. I'm willing to do those things.
Then you'll have no game.

>Keep in mind, I've played 3.PF and Shadowrun.
That's your first mistake.

The point is, if I could get away with playing such complicated games by the GM going "roll this, add this, tell me the results, and if it's higher then you do a thing and if not, you don't do a thing." then why the fuck are the GM's ITT incapable of explaining the basic rules without sperging out over it?

It reeks of THAT GM entitlement who think that everyone else should feel honored to read [next great fantasy novel #78163].

Nothing in this topic suggests that anyone is INCAPABLE of explaining anything, retard. Except, perhaps, entitled pieces of shit such as yourself who can't explain why they're entitled to waste the GM's and everyone else's time.

If the GM would rather prioritize story than making sure people actually know how to play the game and how their fanfic setting works, they quite frankly don't deserve to have a good campaign.

And don't say "oh, well we only get soooooo many hours" either, I have to run 2-3 hour sessions weekly, while also having to explain how shit works in my custom setting, and while running a custom system with new players to boot, yet we've managed to get shit done in spite of how many questions they ask over the course of a session.

Just admit you have ADHD and stop projecting your problems onto other people for once.

>If the GM would rather prioritize story than making sure people actually know how to play the game and how their fanfic setting works
Are you having a stroke? That doesn't even have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Most of the people ITT are butthurt that people didn't read their fanfic and actually *le gasp* ask the GM questions on how shit works.

Because most GMs actually want to PLAY THE GAME, not babyshit entitled retards like yourself. Asking questions is fine. Needing everything explained to you because you're an entitled piece of shit and would rather waste everyone's time than play the game is NOT fine.

>Asking questions is fine
>Immediately spergs out over people asking questions.
Getting mixed signals here senpai.

There's a difference between needing something clarified to you and needing everything explained to you, retard.

>Most of the people ITT are butthurt that people didn't read their fanfic and actually *le gasp* ask the GM questions on how shit works.
No one said that that one page handout was just story. It could've been about the world at large and how the mechanics are relevant to it. It's important to know these things to make a character.

If you didn't want to have to explain everything then why did you decide to use a custom setting in the first place?

Again, getting mixed signals here senpai.

If you wanted to play the game, why did you not show up prepared to play the game? Maybe you should stop wasting everyone's time and just kill yourself?

>It could've been about the world at large
If something is really that important to know, just explain what it is using the cliff notes version with the preface "your characters know that..."
>the president controls the financial district
>the world was destroyed by a cataclysmic event
>the continent was split in two by the great swordsman named Robertson
Etc. Etc.
> how the mechanics are relevant to it.
Again, most tabletop games boil down to "roll this, add this, compare result to [number to beat], if higher then you do the thing." If it's something that falls outside of that description, like coins that have featherfall enchanted to them, then you, as the GM, should just go ahead and mention how that shit works since obviously, the characters would be more familiar with the setting than the players would.

Again, it isn't hard or time consuming to do this throughout your standard campaign, so I don't understand why so many people ITT make such a big deal out of it.

than change the fucking game you faggot

play dungeon world if your players are like that

>If you wanted to play the game, why did you not show up prepared to play the game?
I came with my character sheet, a pencil/eraser, and a set of dice. You're the one holding up game because someone didn't do their homework last night.

Just because you have running shoes doesn't mean you're prepared to run a marathon. If you insist on wasting everyone's time, just kill yourself. At least a funeral is one-time cost.

>Just because you have running shoes doesn't mean you're prepared to run a marathon.
Good thing we're playing a tabletop game instead huh?

>You're the one holding up game because someone didn't do their homework last night.
You're absolutely right, in this situation I should just tell you to fuck off and get on with the game.

And yet having the right equipment still doesn't mean you're prepared to play.

>Asking questions is fine
>"Hey, can I-"
>"FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING CUNT! I'M GETTING ON WITH THE GAME! FUCK YOU!"
Man, still getting mixed signals there senpai.

That's just because you have negative IQ.

How so? It's up to the GM to explain how shit happens in his world and if it's basic shit that anyone would know about, he should just tell us how it works during play.

I mean, if you're lazy and don't want to do it then just say so man, but then why GM in the first place if explaining things makes you so angry?

That isn't how IQ works senpai.

It's understandable that you wouldn't understand how it works.

Fuck, this is like talking to a brick wall. Yes, the GM will be able to find players. And those players will be a part of the game, so it will be their game too. A game with only a GM is no game at all.