EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Somebody Had To Make It Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What Commander do you want to build around, but can't seem to be satisfied with?

First for Spikes need to be banned on sight so they don’t ruin another thread.

>thread question
Damia. I saw the part about filling your hand to 7 every turn and it instantly made me want to go Spellshaper tribal, just because I find Spellshapers neat.
It never really came together though.

>What Commander do you want to build around, but can't seem to be satisfied with?
Surrak faggotclaw

>What Commander do you want to build around, but can't seem to be satisfied with?
Nicol Bolas. My playgroup is very spiteful and I feel like if I play it once it would never be able to do anything again.

Titania. Even when I do pony up for that Living Plane, I'm not entirely sure what to do with her. I could go turbocompetitive, but I'd rather have a value-based lands deck than cancer I'll only play once or twice before being told to not bust it out again.

Athreos. The Shadowborn build is just so fucking bad and boring, and building it as Reanimator is just a shitty gimped Karador deck.

>Thread question
Feldon. He's super fun and leads to some mental board states, but you're so vulnerable at the start you just get hated out of the game before you can do anything.

>Thread question
Gonti. I have no idea how to make him work and even if I did, it would still be mono black. Which would be about as fun as knitting to pilot.

Bolas Specter Tribal seems like a fun and janky brew, if you're into that.

Are there any playable self-mill/discard cards in Orzhov?

Maybe an "Oops All Creatures" build with Genesis Wave and Primal Surge?

tried
its bad like really bad
so far my best luck has been with value creatures + conjurers closet and panharmonicon

>mono black
>about as fun as knitting to pilot
Dude what

Absurd mana doublers, absurd card draw and a commander that basically says "on ETB, free Impulse except you can find non-black cards"

I came here solely to steal your reaction images

>Steal
I'm sorry we pay tcg mid for ALL reaction images around here!

Boy you came to the right place.
>Altar of Dementia
>Mindwrack Demon
>Anything with Dredge
>Buried Alive
>Entomb
>Corpse Connoisseur
>Dread Return
>Null Brooch
>Charmed Pendant
>Millikin
>Mask of Memory

I'll be honest; I built mine to just be a dumb ETB spam list. It's fun enough for me, but I understand it's probably not gonna win a consistent amount of games. I posted the list in the last thread, if you're interested.

>>Dread Return
Whoops, meant Dread Summons

ok edh how do i want to build dragonlord ojutai or an azorius commander in general. My friend gifted it to me for christmas with a challenge to build an azorius deck and I still have no idea what the hell I want to do with it. Do I want hard control, voltron, enchantress, ETB, etc. If it was ephara it would've been ETB no question but I'm just not sure what to build at all.

So many that it's hard to keep track of at this point. If I had to narrow it down, artifact commanders are the bane of my existence. I love artifacts, but I lack an actual artifact deck. Every time I start to put one together I get overwhelmed with the options (and the cost, Jesus) and it ends up being a mess of neat artifacts I like, but without the synergy it needs to actually work. One of my biggest issues is that if I start building a commander with a theme, I'm caught on a weird line of wanting to make the deck stick to that theme while also wanting a good amount of backup plans and some goodstuff in the event that the theme doesn't work out. It just turns it into a deck that has less goodstuff than a goodstuff deck, but it's too general to play to theme in a satisfying way.

A little off topic, but for other artifactfags, what would you want a prospective UR artifact-based Jhoira to do if we were to get one in Dominaria?

>ok edh how do i want to build dragonlord ojutai or an azorius commander in general
counterspells
removal
draw
wincons

well yeah and the actual deck itself? What theme is it gonna take or is it just gonna be azorius good stuff?

>A little off topic, but for other artifactfags, what would you want a prospective UR artifact-based Jhoira to do if we were to get one in Dominaria?
Something like saccing X artifacts to make artifact tokens equal to the sacc'd artifact's CMC. I'd probably also give her a secondary ability, but I don't know what. Probably either something involving artifact recursion or card draw related to artifacts.

ive only ever seen stax, goodstuff or flicker

Jhoira, Izzet Artificer Commander

2UR

3UR, Tap: Tinker

3: Exile target artifact in your graveyard with four time counters on it. It gains Suspend 4.

How do I build keyword "tribal", or keyword sharing? Zepala did things to me, but to costly for a commander.

I've had luck with W/U Tiagam, just jam every extra turn spell in there and you have a good start

Fuck, I already like it. I'd probably need some tweaking, but this sounds great and it references her Time Spiral card. I give it an A.

Probably something involving Odric.

fuck that reminds me of a game
>new group with coworker
>guy plays a time stretch
>gg.png
>first turn draw play a land goes to next turn
>second turn draw play a land pass
>"you uh you don't want to do anything for two turns? like win the game?"
>he's completely confused
never again.

>3UR, Tap: Tinker
Would never get printed under current design philosophy, which is a shame because it works for Jhoira so well.

>well yeah and the actual deck itself?
you know what must be done

new Odric or creature Samut, both with things like Concerted Effort and Angelic Skirmisher

>Would never get printed under current design philosophy
since when?

We can't have artifact tutors in standard while Treasure tokens are a thing, user. That'd be too cool.

>We can't have artifact tutors in standard
we have a land that tutors for artifacts for shitting out loud

Is etali worth running in xenagod? Seems cool as a hasty 12/12 That will probably have trample and let's me maybe cast cards for free seems cool, but idk.

>Thread Question
What Commander do you want to build around, but can't seem to be satisfied with?
Surrak because even tho blue value is gr8, it just feels like a bad xenagod featuring some counterspells. Plus spellbreaker behemoth is a thing.
Atarka, Worldrender because again, why not just have it in the 99 of xenagod? A 12/12 with haste, double strike, trample, and flying is fucking good enough for me. Atarka voltron seems eh and Dragon tribal isn't for me

But karador is just shitty gimped ghave

fuck what is zepala

Time to start flappin'

same guy from the last thread with the voltron build?

GET TO FLAPPIN'

Neither of those are currently in Standard, and Inventor's Fair only puts it into your hand. Whir of Invention is more restricted in what it can grab. Tinker is going to grab anything and put it into play as long as you have something to sac, whereas Whir requires either a lot of mana or a lot of artifacts to grab higher CMC artifacts. The ones you listed are more balanced versions of Tinker. That being said, I could see it happening on a Jhoira legend since it would be stuck onto a creature that requires you to cast it first, and then still be able to pay for the Tinker cost.

>FLAPPIN, DOUBLE SLAPPIN, NO NAPPIN, SCRAPPIN, UNFLAPPABLE

Well there goes my sides.

Who's a fun control commander? I came to the conclusion last night that I don't have a whole lot of interactivity in my repertoire outside of like one deck, and I think that's part of why I'm in a rut

I'm not him, but I was a huge fan of his tale.

is there any neat stuff you can do with this red?

I really wanna make a spicy mono-red deck but I'm not sure what to go with. I've got the Meren precon I'm currently transforming into Jarad or Mazirek and I've got lists ready for Unesh or Azor and I'm gonna see if anyone gets Azor in the RIX draft we have planned. If I make Unesh it's wincons will be Sphinxes Rev, having lots of Sphinxes out and controlling the board or obligatory Labman, and Azor will be more of a control deck with some spicy tax effects and Approach of the Second Sun.

I was thinking about maybe an artifact deck, but i don't have a fast deck really and wouldn't mind having something that goes 2fast2furious. I'd not be adverse to burn too, but I know it's not viable.

you could build mathas if you want mardu three color group slug with shit like
>alms collector
>tainted remedy
>A. archive
>shit ton of removal
>control creatures (elesh norn, sheoldred, thalia heretic, shit like that)

>Neither of those are currently in Standard

Wait, shit, you're right. For some reason I thought Almondcat was the cutoff for current Standard.

Not a bad idea. Ironically the deck with the most removal is my Alesha deck

>Almondcat
I'm pretty sure this is the doing of some manner of autocorrect, but it's now Amonkhet's name to me.

Nah, Almondcat has always just been Almondcat. Oketra best god.

As dumb as it sounds, Veldrane. Since it's inevitably going to be a joke deck, the trick is finding cards in monoblack that are bad, but in fun ways.

>Sexiest man in magic
>Bad

>sexiest man
>not pic related
You have poor taste, user.

>Amonkhet gods had their heads gold-ified so they wouldn't really be furries
I like that they didn't pander to them, but something about it makes me mad.

I cant decide on which kind of deck to build with him.
Maybe i will just go with a side of reanimator, but it looks weird and pretty mana intensive.

I still love the goblin in the corner that's questioning himself.

I'm still pissed they keep flip-flopping on the whole Naga vs Snake and Hound vs Jackal thing.
Just make them all Snake and Hound and we're good. Stop making them block specific sub-types like Naga or Jackal you fucks.

It's because there are many other furry creatures in mtg, leonins and Ajani, and also rat ninjas in kamigawa. Also, because the art direction in that was terrible, the gold heads looked terrible.

COMBO
O
M
B
O

There´s no Commander that synergises well with Energy counters(yet)

>sacrifice synergy
>can't even run Kordoza Guildmage
Shit nia

counters
kill spells
big mana

what kind of a moron would want to run that shit card in a grixis control deck?

if you're in a 4 player game + etali is legit broken (but I've only seen him as command so built around is even more so)

Stupid things your playgroup says/does

>user, you have too many board wipes in your deck.

If you don't appreciate sacrificing big boys to sacrifice another big boy I guess you're just not ready to revel in the decay.
Enjoy your Order though, I guess.

Is somebody playing Zurgo Boardwipe Tribal?

I got Ojutai at the helm.

I run the deck as a control oriented as I can. Counterspells, board wipes, single target removal, and usually win through digging for my wincon (leveler + lab man).

STOP TRYING TO MAKE ZETALPA COOL

Oh boy, I've got a few. Not my current playgroup, thank god, but the playgroup I started out with in college.

>The swords of X and Y are too overpowered and turn off certain decks so they're banned on our house list
>The mono red decks always go first in turn order despite the dice roll because they're so slow to start
>If you have more than 5 stax effects out (smokestack, tangle wire, trinisphere, thalia, etc etc) you forfeit the game
>If you're comboing off, if you can't finish the combo in a couple of minutes, you "win" but get kicked out of the game and everyone else plays for second place (i actually don't hate this one entirely)

Them's fightin words.

Rhonas is my love in actual game
but Oketra just looks so fucking cool
and hot

How is Oona?

Even better

Korlash boardwipe tribal

That last one isn't all that terrible. It's weird, but not really egregious since they acknowledge you were the victor

Even better
Eron boardwipe tribal

PUT
EM
UP

oh oops my mistake

>user, you only won because you have more money than the rest of us
>Ignore the fact that I've been playing since Nemesis and the rest only got in around Theros
>mfw

>dealt damage to you
>fight

>Stupid things your playgroup says/does
>i like my krenko deck because i can combo out at any second but like to just watch people play the game until i decide to pull the trigger lol

>being this much of a dick and not tuning down your decks

How many proxies do you guys allow in a deck? There's a guy at my LGS who literally has 75/100 cards in his deck being shitty proxies. That shit doesn't fly, Randy.

The funny thing, it is turned down and un-optimized as fuck. I have almost no tutors in it because it would make it too easy to counter anything anyone does. I intentionally left out any infinite combos. That being said, I'm not going to make the deck 100% shit because I've played longer and have a larger collection than everyone else.

Don't worry, you're both wrong. No Amonkhet god is good for edh play.

Depends. If the persons says they are testing it and don't want to commit money to cards if they don't go with the deck then that's fine. Alternatively, my playgroup allows proxies if you either A.) Own the card but it's so good that it belongs in every deck. or B.) it costs below $25.

As many as you want, but only if you have already ordered the cards and are just waiting for them all to arrive.

Bolas Dragons is a solid brew

>thread question
Reaper King, or an Assassin/Horror/Skeleton tribal

if anyone has some links for decks based on any of those please drop them

well thats just them being bad then
i started playing in m15 so they have been playing for even longer than I have
carry on

>Playgroup complains that your deck is broken despite it being completed incapacitated if anyone decides to actually destroy your artifacts and enchantments

Seriously, if you don't want em to get going then maybe don't let my Phyrexian arena sit there for 20 turns.

Yeah, he refuses to buy the actual cards, and builds these stupidly tuned decks that would cost $2000+ if they were made of real cards. Nobody else minds, though, which is fucking frying my toast and USB making me feel like an autist.

>"user why do you buy so many singles?"
>while they regularly drop 100+ bucks on packs and boxes

But Zetalpa's cold as ice user

Guys, I will probably be moving to San Antonio after April, is there a decent mtg community down there?