Humans are the most mechanically optimal race

>humans are the most mechanically optimal race
>if I ever want to play something unique or fun I'm just needlessly crippling myself
Why does this always happen?

In 5e there is the opposite problem unless the DM is enforcing the blatantly OP vhuman

Honestly, I don't think race or "builds" in general should be major considerations in the first place, which is why I don't play modern D&D anymore

>miss out on a single +1
>WAAAAH I'M SO USELESS THIS CHARACTER IS UNPLAYABLE
Maybe you should just play a character instead of a statblock.
Pro tip: "I'm good at something so I have to be the absolute best at it or else I'm betraying my character concept" is not a character. It's a statblock.

Races aren't a major factor unless you feel the constant need to metagame in a ROLEPLAYING-game.

Why do you keep playing D&D?

You know, I find the best solution to that is to find an unwilling human male and force open two new holes that you can Hatefuck your anger away with. I recommend the muscle at the back of the legs as an entry point, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CREATE AN ENTRY POINT IN THE TORSO. The human body stores too much Bacteria in the internal organs to risk it. Leg muscle or particularly doughy arms are much more optimal.
Still, wear a condom. Forcibly opening a wound into someone's leg and Fucking it without a condom on would just be insane.
>inb4 Edgelord
Don't use an edge to make the opening, a stab wound is going to do you much better. I recommend the spiral knife found on /k/ for best results.

Try burning wheel. Dwarves and elves are clearly superior and it's outright stated in the book

>THIS THING THAT CAN HAPPEN IN ANY RPG ONLY IS BAD IN ONE RPG THAT I DON'T LIKE
Fuck off.

It doesn't. You listen to Veeky Forums too much.

You're a moron.

>attached to the idea of an elvish archfey elflock (due to ties between elves and fey in Forgotten Realms)
>friend: "why don't you just go half-elf? You get +2 Charisma and you're still an elf"
>mfw when I still roll an elf because I won't switch races for a mechanical advantage

>Locks himself in a treasury forever
>Cries and sails away to the happy place

>pick races, stats, and classes for the mechanical benefits
>roleplay whatever i want regardless of what i chose
I can't even see you from up here.

Human is the best race for roleplaying

And he's still superior to you.

That's boring. Why limit your characters to archetypes were their race and culture don't matter?

>Why limit your characters to archetypes were their race and culture don't matter?
Where was this said?

/thread

>miss out on a single +1

You think that is the trade off for not being Human? In 3x it is missing on a level 1 bonus feat. This extra feat puts you 2 levels ahead on your first feat chain. It is not a +1 to hit & damage that you would get at level one anyway if are say a ranged build. It is removing a -4 to shooting into melee at level one.

>Becomes amoeba
aaaahhckkkkkk
uuuhgughhhhhhaaaa

Just play a more flexible game.

This is my main problem with 5e.

PCs play statblocks instead of characters.

Roleplay is a distant consideration to the +2DEX.

Instead of using the games with the rules as written, ask your DM to change races in your next game to be something that provides different powers or abilities instead of numerical benefits.

While obviously they won't be totally balanced, it's much easier to pick a race and immerse yourself in the world if your races all have unique powers instead of stat based trade offs. Due to old age, give every elf a 1 in 6 chance to have met another famous character in the world before. Dwarves can identify magic items or the creators of specific items. Beast races can eat rotten food, etc.

>PCs play statblocks instead of characters.
At least it tries to get you to branch out a bit with the background system and the inspiration mechanic.

humans can be as good or as bad as you want in gurps

they literally get nothing.

There's nothing a system can do to keep players from being faggots, only harsh words from a proper gatekeeping grognard can keep that in check.

The thought of some sperg trying to maintain order as an alpha while being an unwashed beta is amusing and sad to me. I mean what, you call someone a normie faggot and get your ass kicked from the group for being an idiot?

>he plays as the single experienced player in a group of normie shitters
What the fuck are you doing? You teach people to play by inviting them to your group. If they act like faggots you set them straight or kick them. Eventually they either learn their lesson or get corralled into a group of shitters that you can avoid pretty easily.

It is neither my desire nor my job to teach people anything beyond the scope of the game. If people want to behave like jackasses or show less self-preservation than a lemming then that's their prerogative to make.

Also, the people who end up being corraled into groups are the grogs who try to gatekeep without actually knowing how to do so without making themselves look like massive faggots in the process. Normies will generally fit in most groups.

>PCs play statblocks instead of characters.
This problem is not specific to 5e, or even to D&D.

I have a player in my group like this, he had some bad roles, and he essentially killed his character off by being really fucking stupid. He then attempted to make a multilclass that would be great in combat, and at a lot of out of combat skills. However every game he has a bad series of roles, he shuts down. He acts pouty, and I think he is about to kill his character off again. Personally my character is not an ideal race/class choice, but I want it anyway, and it makes me happy. It doesn't have to be the best of the best. The game is not competitive. Video game culture has warped some peoples ideas of character builds.