/bgg/ - Board Game General - Hype Edition

Previous: Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu (embed)

What do you think of kickstarter's effect on the hobby as a whole? Pros? Cons?

Other urls found in this thread:

dicetower.com/game-video/top-5-solitaire-war-games-hamtag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wood for sheep lol

Also, who else is excited for Monolith Arena?

I get lonely a lot. I don't spend less time with others than average, as far as I can tell. I'm just not very good at enjoying time alone.

Aside from going running a few times a week, something I was thinking about was getting into solo board games.

Any good big-ish thematic solo games I could spend time playing here and there? (I'm especially interested in games made for solo play or with special solo rules, rather than solely cooperative games where I can play all the roles if I want.)

>What do you think of kickstarter's effect on the hobby as a whole? Pros? Cons?

It's definitely contributed to the continued blurring of the line between miniature wargames and board games, which is probably a good thing.

Anything co-op is a solo game, or app assisted; what theme is your style?

COIN games if you'd be into games that are historical and rulebooks that will teach you about real history as you play.

Shit missed your last bit there; if you're looking for specifically for solo instead of co-op? Friday, but that's not long. Power Grid is soloable if you've got the robot expansion, but not thematic. The only thing coming to mind would be maybe HotAC for X-wing, but I've never gone out of my way for solo without looking at co-op/app

Mage Knight is quite solid solo.

how are the scripts in those games?

I get what you're saying. Definitely fine with coop games, though I'm also interested in games that are made specifically to be played solo.

I like kung fu movies, kaiju (though I didn't love King of Tokyo, actually), pirates, and anything where a big story can play out. Also, if there's a soloable 4x game that isn't just "play all the sides" I'd probably love that. I also like English Gothic stuff like Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, and so on.

Thought about Ghost Stories but I'm not sure I'm into how incredibly difficult it apparently is.

I could be. Are there any set in the Interwar Period?

I tried to make it clear that I was willing to play coop stuff solo but also interested in solitaire games that were intended to be such. So I appreciate these recommendations and feel free to recommend some coop stuff based on my response to your previous post.

I'll check it out. Thank you.

COIN features here like the other user mentioned. Their theme is one of counter-insurgency, terrorism and revolution rather than outright total war. Really interesting settings/periods, there are quite a lot of them now.

dicetower.com/game-video/top-5-solitaire-war-games-hamtag

>kung fu, kaiju, pirates, big story
Maybe a Descent Campaign with the app assist, but I just remembered Ricky Royal exists, he's got a full top 100 for solitaire gaming, might check that out
>boxofdelights.net/top-100-solitaire-games-2015/

Once you understand them it becomes almost second nature. They are a little dense at first because they expect you just understand their shorthand but it's not hard to figure out once you have a bit of experience. I'd play solo controlling all factions a few times before I try the scripts if I were you though.

look into Nemo's War. Designed for solo play.

This.

That looks awesome.

Right now my list of solo (and coop to play both alone and with others) games to look into further is as follows:

>Nemo's War
>Ghost Stories
>Robinson Crusoe
>Mage Knight
>the COIN system in general
>Descent (with app)

And I'm looking at these lists:
Thanks, anons.

Shitty because instead of good it's turning into a shitty mini farming crapfest with exclusives becoming the norm.

Somewhere something good has to be being squeezed out because it didn't have super duper unique mini exclusives! and the board game world is all the poorer for it.

Kickstarter has allowed a larger number of games to be made than otherwise would be, and consequently for the hobby to become more prominent in terms of visibility. Consequently, still more games are able to be made, including a larger number of Euro style cube-pushers, games that use mostly cardboard pieces, and so on.

While the most popular thing is shitloads of plastic, I doubt there are many, if any, good games that would exist without Kickstarter but don't because it exists.

More importantly, while shit games do come out as a result of Kickstarter, it's ridiculous to think that it's never been responsible for a good game getting made that otherwise wouldn't.

What game has most impressed you with amount of (good) gameplay relative to box-size?

Like if there were something the size of Love Letter with a game that's an hour plus long inside, for example.

I've heard Japan does a good job with this, which isn't surprising, I suppose, given how small storage space apparently is in bigger cities.

Pax Renaissance

>little direct player interaction
>involves sliding wooden cubes around
Jenga is a Eurogame.

What's everyone's thought's on Libertalia?

It's for soyboy leftycucks.

I would say Hanabi, but I don't enjoy teaching it as much as when I got it. Flowerfall was surprisingly fun for something that's barely a game, but there's no depth there. Toss up between For Sale/Jaipur I guess.

>reverse mode
Least impressed with the game for the box it came in: 12 Realms or Gravwell. The former had very little game to it and the latter while the mechanics were there felt just flat, I have no idea how people say it's an exciting race game, but maybe that's just SUSD hyping.

Innovation
One Deck Dungeon
Clank in Spa... oh wait.

How the fuck do you not know what a cube is?

>unironically watching SUSD
I'm sure this isn't the first game you got memed into buying and it definitely won't be your last.

Didn't buy it, playtested at a con, I've only bought one game without sitting down and testing first, and that was a no brainer.

I realized my mistake right after clicking submit but was too lazy to delete and change it to "wood blocks" or "bits of wood" or something.

Anyway, these are called ice cubes so fuck it.

(You)

god dammit I got all excited thinking it was some new game storage and organization hack with an ice lolly tray.

also
>calling them ice cubes they're not even square fucking americens

>fucking americans

Duh, everyone knows you call them ice semicylinders.

>these are called ice cubes
ya by five year olds

here.
Just me, then?

>post fotm bullshit hype nonsense
>wants people to circle jerk with him enough to ask people to respond
just move on to plebbit, theyll suck your dick good and long there

>fotm bullshit hype nonsense
It's from the creator of Neuroshima Hex, which is great. I genuinely think it will probably be good and I'm excited to learn more.

Maybe relax a little. I'm not trying to get you to throw money at anything.

>listed as reimplementing neuroshima hex
>lol getting hurt is a good thing now though
Ya, it'll be NH with bare bones rules and all the strategic depth stripped out but plastic instead of chits so it'll retail for at least 60USD.

I want.

Quick /bgg/, I'm playing Twilight Imperium 4th Edition: do you have to pay to use the Arborec's flagship produce units ability or is it free?

You have to pay.

The argument I was given by the player was that since it isn't all capitalized it doesn't work like normal "PRODUCTION." Everything I read seemed to point towards the contrary though. Thank you

Yeah, he's full of shit.
Producing units is defined in the rules reference separately from the production ability, and specifies that when producing units they must be paid for. Entries 58 and 59 on pages 18 and 19.

I mean, he's correct that it doesn't work identically to the production ability. But not having to pay resources is not one of the ways in which it differs. He's arguing for a masturbatory fantasy in which his flagship can spawn two warsuns and three dreadnoughts at no cost.
Slap him for me.

>masturbatory fantasy in which his flagship can spawn two warsuns and three dreadnoughts at no cost
i came

I think mage knight

>I genuinely think it will probably be good and I'm excited to learn more.
If it's good then it will see a normal retail release anyways.

Kickstarter is an American thing, it hardly even exists in the big boardgame countries like Germany, France, Poland, etc.

I can't figure out why anyone would play caverna when agricola exists. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think it's having a neutra effect because :

>pros :
Games I DREAMED of (with truly decadent components, minis for everything, a million expansions right out of the gate...) are coming out, as well as a ton of quirky dice & card games. I feel that even non kickstarter games are benefiting from the component upgrades. A lot of general, non kickstarter games really upped their game over the last few years.

>cons :
Seems a lot of kickstarter games come out unfinished or broken and have to be fixed with faqs or worse a new rulebook (or even worse : a whole fucking second edition). Exclusives are a load of shit (timed exclusives man. Those would keep everybody happy I believe).
And of course, it's a complete crapshoot whether the game is good or bad. Thankfully so far I did my research and nearly all the games I got through kickstarter align with my personal tastes (with the notable exception of Myth, which was a steaming pile of horseshit)

>What do you think of kickstarter's effect on the hobby as a whole?
Overall it has been pretty positive. There's some questionable trends popping up, but it has allowed so many great games to spawn. We often and quickly forget how many much more modest games have gotten funding from there underneath the latest million dollar breaking content fest.
>Pros?
+Plenty of great games and also reprints that wouldn't exist without it
+A much needed rise in powers breaking off from the Asmodee conglomerate before that could have done too much damage
+Lots of variety as many riskier ideas are getting pushed
+People are actually getting quite good at publishing like this with a good number of recent kickstarters having no delays and some even delivering early
>Cons?
-Questionable ethics in the department of exclusive pandering and use of "stretch goals"
-A general rise in the price of the average game as it pushes for much higher component quality
-While I do not care how you personally spend your money and don't mean to say "Oh, I can't believe you funded THAT", I do get the general sense of some people getting duped hard by some really sleezy sales tactics and it makes me sad to watch.

I think there's some crap out there getting funded for sure, but with a reasonably cautious look at a product and the ability to put hype aside I feel you can back some things pretty safely nowadays. I hope a majority of people still wait until it hits stores to get it or at least til it's on a reprint kickstarter and plenty have played it. The overall aim of any kickstarter should be a product hitting it big rather than the kickstarter hitting it big, and for that I thank anyone who waits, but if you're ok with a pre order mentality and are really interested in a project that gets posted, then why not?

Mage Knight is trash. Just get shadows of Brimstone.

Does anyone think Everdell could be good? It releases this December.

>mage knight is trash, buy generic dice chucking dungeon crawl #485290
brainlet detected

Whoa whoa mate. Shadows of Brimstone is my favorite game ever but I feel it's important to point out it's complete trash.
Game is 90 % randomness with nearly no player choice that truly matters. It's game about experience and immersion and the nearly unlimited possibilities that it proposes.
The mechanics of the game are absolute shit tier.
Also, Mage Knight is genuinely good. I'd rather play SoB anytime, but it's good.

I think the opposite.

>multiplayer puzzle that takes 5 hours to play
>solo puzzle that takes 3 hours to play

I wouldn't play any boardgame solo.

Yeah, SoB is fun trash and doesn't have any pretense to it.

Care to explain? Caverna just feels like an extremely casual version of agricola to me but I've only played caverna a handful of times. It also has an infinite combo that the designer didn't realize was there until someone pointed it out to him after release. It's always felt like a disappointing experience compared to how tight agricola is.

>id rather have dice decide for me because im not smart enough to solve problems logically
>i also have a short attention span
Ah, your opinion makes a lot of sense now.

SoB vs Gloomhaven

The kickstarter proces does not have the same level of critical scrutiny that board games used to have to endure. A kickstarted board game really only needs a good marketing campaign. An old-fashioned release kickstarter has been through a long proces where the designers has had to discuss and argue for their games in front of publishers, always finetuning with regards to cost, rules, uniqueness, lifespan, marketshare, consumerbase etc.

Sure, good games can come out of kickstarter. Bad games, however, are just as likely to be succesful as good game. The tendencies, however, are that the hugely popular, well-marketed projects wanes of in popularity quickly after the initial release, much faster than non-kickstarted games which seems more stable. The average blockbuster board game from kickstarter in general does not have the staying power despite millions in initial funding.

I don't get around the 'casual' argument so I'll just leave that to you, but Caverna to me is tighter thematically and gives you more options in how to approach the game. Also I like the way it handles pastures better than the fences thing.

Are they much faster than non kickstarted games? There's a LOT of games being made every year and with each year, a LOT of games fading into obscurity. No matter the method or production, very few will see long term success of the kind you speak.

Played Stronghold today. It was fun and pretty quick once we got the hang of it.

I'll be curious to see if the majority of the games end up coming up with the same winner. I won as the Invader but we forgot that the Defender gets two extra hourglasses after the first Invader action, which would've been 8 all up. It probably would've made a difference?

Invader siege engines seem really strong, once you cull the misses from their deck.

I dunno. I understand all the negative stuff, but on the other hand because of Kickstarter we're getting a reprint of Endeavor which I've wanted for years.

look into Agricola, Master of Britain or Charlemagne, Master of Europe for a couple of highly regarded historical-themed solo games

Nemos war

I just heard Tom Vasel mention it. Didn't even know it was a KS thing, just an upcoming game.

I haven't donated. I only throw money at Kickstarter when I'm pretty certain.

The Doom board game is technically a coop but you can still run it solo with only one marine (the rules book tells you how to do that). As for the demons, I've seen posts on bgg where people have created an AI chart for the demons so you can play solo.

Also check out the d&d board games

>Doom board game solo
Sounds like a blast. Thanks!

It has a more appealing theme and it's more comfy. I never played agricola though. In hindsight I probably wouldn't bother with either anymore, because Caverna feels a little bloated. It also should have more rounds and/or strategies allowed. It feels really limited compared to the amount of stuff you have to put on the table.

I made the same mistake my first game, and it absolutely cost me the win.
Siege engines are quite strong, but they're also probably the only real opportunity in the game for RNG to screw over either player - and sabotaging them is still quite cheap.

is this game actually good or just looks good?

>Kickstarter is an American thing, it hardly even exists in the big boardgame countries like Germany, France, Poland, etc.

Do you mean in terms of backers or creators? In terms of backersif you look at the community breakdown there isn't a huge disparity in the volume of backers when general population differences are taken into consideration.

In in creator counts there is a significant European presence. Lords of Hellas, Nemesis, This war of Mine are all Polish. Outlive, Joan of Arc are French.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Game is pretty good, I suspect it did get as far as it has mainly on its aesthetic appeal though.

Looking for a dice game. Didn't care for King of Tokyo, as much as I love Godzilla.

Anybody played that Knizia game Age of War? Is it good?

I just want more than Yahtzee with a coat of paint.

am i gonna be terribly dissapointed if i expect a mech wargame mixed with euro elements?

Can someone recommend me a light-to-medium-light resource management Euro game that's a bit less luck-y and more interesting gameplay-wise than Catan?

Bonus points for card drafting, allowing trades, and/or "machines" that generate victory points over time.

Heroes of Normandie and subsequent projects also out of france.
Exodus from Russia.

yes

we seem to play it more than anything else for the last year so it's got something. Some combos are just flat out better but it's always like some kind of fresh puzzle, especially with the airship stuff.

A bad game is bad regardless of component quality. Same goes for a good game.
A game with meh components gets a minor release and flies under the radar. Some bozo decides to rerelease it on KS with upgraded components, slashes the content in the box in half so the rest of it is sweet kickstarter exclusive content and it goes fucking ballistic.
KS is both boon and bane, it really has helped some worthwhile games to see the light but the platform and the social aspect of crowdfunding makes for manipulative campaigns based on artificial hype and peer pressure, which I don't appreciate.

so its just an eurogame?

terraforming mars. No trading though.

Basically, yes. There's some combat/area control elements, but they're relatively minor in scope and how they work towards victory conditions.

pretty much yeah. Combat's there but quite infrequent and surgical.

Are there any good examples of Kickstarter done right?

Like stretch goals just being better components, maybe extra content (for a game that is genuinely completed without it), "exclusives" either not being present, being some cool non-game aesthetic thing like a keychain or something, or being released for sale at a later date, and generally using the tools of Kickstarter to fund the creation of a good game and then add extras that are genuinely extras?

Quarriors?

scythe

bruges or burgundy, maybe not as dice-centric as you want.

Las Vegas is pretty good; a fast, light area control dicechucker,
Roll for the Galaxy is the dice version of Race, good engine builder, but the dice iconography may be a barrier for new players.

>not calling them ice cuboids

None of the d&d board games are very fun. For all that effort you might as well just play d&d instead. There's a new one I haven't played yet though so it might be good, I'm not sure.

He said less lucky than Catan.

Feudum

Are COIN games fine for 3 players? Which one would you recommend?

Mare Nostrum

Anyone played Lords of Hellas? What do you think? I got it and played a few games, but most of those we were playing a few things wrong. Got a couple 2 player games in and have enjoyed it.