Stealing Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What IP, setting, story, or character have you shamelessly copied to use in your campaign? What do you like about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/138408104058/pugilist-class-by-coolgamertagbro
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for /poltg/

Cancel Mordenkainen's Tome of Whatever and publish a fucking campaign setting book you cowards.

>shamelessly copied to use in your campaign?
Adventure time. Guess who's the antagonist.

New thread more like new bread ahahahahahahhahaha

PB?

To be fair, campaign settings are far less flexible than in-depth books on creature culture.
I'm still trying to convince my DM to run a fully fledged campaign based around characters within a goblonoid horde

Why not play an Eberron campaign, where the goblinoids had an empire and still have a modern nation?

I have a homebrew setting and campaign based on the old Exile series. (rereleased as Avernum)

The DM doesn't like to tie the campaign down to particular settings because he enjoys making it from scratch

I rarely copy something directly. I pick bits and pieces, turn and twist them. While building the current setting that we play in I was inspired by the Tyranny computer game, in parts, the Black Company in some regard and many other sources.

Most of all I find that art boot straps my imagination though rarely remain the sole influence and source of the final representation as it gets expressed in the game.

Recently I found inspiration in Frostpunk, a computer game in the making, for a settlement in a cooled volcano (former elemental node) in a very barren and frozen landscape.

right now I'm working on a character that's basically Patrick Warburton. I've got the voice and mannerisms down pretty well but it's basically just an impression. I'm pretty sure my friends will just have fun with it and not care that its unoriginal

>cont.
If anything we've built the setting we play in around the players choices of characters and concepts, which have been great fun.

>when your character is indisputably the main character in the campaign

Anybody have entertaining fire based traps theyve seen or used?

that sounds shitty for everyone else

I told them that they should've tailored their character to the setting better

>What IP, setting, story, or character have you shamelessly copied to use in your campaign? What do you like about it?
I do it all the time in my campaign. My party first started the campaign in basically a fantasy Deadwood (like from the HBO series) and in their current arc a major villain faction are basically a suped up, dark version of the Kremling Krew (from Donkey Kong Country). I absolutely love that I can take bits and pieces from fiction that I love, smash them together and make it my own. My players have a blast, too.

Off the top of my head
>Alchemist's Fire perched on top of an ajar door
>Brazen Bull room, treat it like a Heat Metal spell, but on every surface
>Classic flamethrower jets used as area deterrents
>Room filled with methane, trap trigger creates a spark, treat it as a Fireball
>Wall of Fire
>Wall of Lava blocking way forward like in Incredibles
>Use Scorching Rays as magic laser traps, blocking areas
>Grates in floors that allow flames to spread upwards onto adventurers
>Flaming Sphere rolling on a set path throughout the dungeon
Really take any of the fire spells and you can tailor them into a trap.

>What IP, setting, story, or character have you shamelessly copied to use in your campaign? What do you like about it?

I stole everything that wasn't nailed down from Shadowrun: Hong Kong and pruned the cyberpunk elements to be more reminiscent of D&D fantasy.

depends on the players. Not everyone needs to take the lead, some people are just along for the ride.

My old DM did a thing where the party was stuck on a platform in a room that was filling with lava. There were two switches on either side of the platform that we had to turn to raise the platform. The problem came when we got attacked on the platform and had to fight off Azers while trying not to be cooked by lava. Really fiddled with the action economy

should i give a lvl 6 character a sentient item?

Hell yes, sentient items are one of the most fun NPCs you can bring to the game.

Why doesn't 5e have a viable method of playing a bare knuckle brawler? I just want to be All Might

I gave one at level 1

It's called a monk.

Bare Knuckle is a Monk. If you are cool with gauntlets or something similar Brute Fighter.

because other than through exaggerated martial arts represented by the monk figting barehanded against armed humanoids and monsters is stupid and will get you killed. this is reflected ingame by the pathetic damage and lack of bonuses to unarmed combat without investing levels or at least a feat in the right areas

Y'all just going to have to find a homebrew.
I think the Pugilist works fairly well as a Monk clone while giving them more heft.

we have a lvl 6 paladin who uses a one hander and a shield,and is the party healer. Got any cool one handed senitent items build for healing?

You can apply roleplaying to a combat-focused system like 5e and still work fine as it's malleable, but you can't guarantee that combat will be good if you apply it to a roleplaying system. Through and through, 5e is a combat simulator. Basically every single rule is related to combat in some form or another, but very, very few are related to 'roleplaying'. Saying that the name of skills or descriptions are 'roleplaying' rules is retarded, because then you'd be required to sneak for Sneak Attack.
If you're playing 5e primarily for the roleplay and not for the combat, you might as well play a different system. If you're someone who plays every game purely focused on roleplay and no combat, you're definitely not playing 5e because you're ignoring literally the entire rulebook. You could play literally any system with this mentality, so you can't claim to be playing 5e. You're just writing fanfiction and pretending to be using 5e.
If you're someone who wants to solely roleplay, there is still absolutely no excuse for not being able to play the actual game or not having a proper understanding of the system. If you're playing 5e, being able to perform in combat is a fucking necessity - and don't even get me started on people who think that you can't have a character good at combat and roleplay. People who aren't fucking retarded make their character first based on a combat-focused concept (or being a skill monkey, I guess, but even then they should be able to participate in combat without being a burden because they want to 'muh roleplay'), and then afterwards they apply their roleplaying concepts and goals on top of it. It's faggots like this who try to justify rolling for stats in campaigns expected to last for a long time because 'you need a bad stat to be able to roleplay ecks dee', even though half of these faggots never roll below a 10 on their dump stat.

Holy fuck you can both understand the game and roleplay, but 5e is a combat simulator at its core. Git gud.

>otherwise good group
>crutch that helps the DM get their story across
>everybody more or less understands how and why it came to be that way

Don't take it as an insult, challenge the conventions to keep things from growing stale and grow the game/group from something limited into a better place.

Or just go full Vegeta until the spaghetti flies.

This is the worst post since Shad's last post

I find this is a better pugilist. Can be more tanky.

forgot link dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/138408104058/pugilist-class-by-coolgamertagbro

Pugilist works well as does the UA Brute Fighter with Brass Knuckles (Reflavored Hand Axes)

Imo the closest thing to All Might would be to homebrew up a fist fighting paladin order. Channel divinity could be an enlarge or something and buff your unarmed damage dice.

Ahh it was updated, I'll save this new one.

Looked around for a pdf, turns out the one I posted earlier is the newer version.
Eh.

i am a idiot the first version is better and can be tankier my bad guys.

I've recently gone out of my way to make a dual-wielding Kensei Monk/3 dip into UA Ranger, as I wanted to play a viking-berserker type character that isn't a Barbarian or Fighter. Someone who runs fast as fuck and headbutts people/punches them even though he has an axe handle clenched in his fists, showing how little fucks he gives.

Here's what I've learned about Kensei after spending the past week minmaxing the shit out of gimmicky builds with it, looking at all the options available -

>Level 3: We give you all these bonuses, but in reality you're just going to use one of them in your build, the main one being 'add d2 to your weapon because we know you're only taking this for the versatile weapon or longbow' and the rest will be ignored by your build. We also let you have a paint brush.
Let me use the paint brush as a Kensei weapon at least, faggot.
Level 6: If you're dual-wielding, your off-hand weapon is not dealing garbage damage because your DM decided to not give you a second magic weapon for your offhand. If you're playing anything other than dual-wielding, this trait is useless to you. Also, you can spend 1 ki point to pretend you're not dual wielding by the dealing damage equivalent of Flurry of Blows, but without the second modifier.
>Level 11: You can guilt-trip your DM into giving you a Flametongue.
>Level 17: You get a technically shittier version of Gloom Ranger's level 11 ability.

With Xanathar, I realized that WotC have a big problem with making balanced subclasses. The classes are either far too weak (off the top of my head, every class in Xanathar has at-least one shit shitty 'flat damage' bonus as an entire milestone pickup that has to do with class level. 'Deal damage equal to your class level/half your class level'), or the classes are blatantly retarded and there is no reason not to pick them (Hexblade being the most prominent example). But despite having known that, this subclass really made me realize how little fucks Wizard actually gave.

That's Immortal Mystic, user.
Alternatively, make it a Warforged and you have a super fighting robot.

>Brute Fighter
>Duel Welding Brass Knuckles/Gauntlets
>Two Weapon Fighting Style
>Extra Brute damage (1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10)
>1d6 added to ALL saving throws
>Second Fighting Style (Defense)
>Increased Critical Hit damage
>Survivor for near-immortality

The only problem with this is the fact that you are dual wielding weapons making it so you don't have an open hand meaning you could not grapple unless you drop one of your Knuckles or ask your DM SUPER nicely to overlook that.

Play a Monk and just punch people, especially at higher level. The very first character I ever made in 5e was a Monk that used no weapons and I was still generally outdpsing any build that wasn't a half-orc Champion Fighter/Barb with GWM or an Assassin Rogue/Paladin/1 Warlock/Fighter/whatever the fuck shitter

>reflavoured handaxe
>throw knuckles at people

nigga with "brace up" and the sweet science's "cross counter" you WILL never take damage and if you do your temporaly health points will be taken only. The first version user post was the obvious tank option. Read read!

Sounds like you were playing together with babby's first character build.

>combat focused system
>combat rules take up 10 pages of the core book
6/10 got me to reply

At level 5 d6 unarmed and using FoB every turn, even babby's first character outdpses most builds. Keep in mind that when I made my first character, there was no SCAG cantrips or anything to make some of the more obnoxious builds.

Drop that bit and make it so you have an open hand while using them.

I have read that, in fact I have used that subclass. Its very tanky and exactly what you would want. I'm just giving a more offical document of what the game devs have produced.

>10 pages
Good thing the combination of all classes, all spells, all combat rules, all conditions, all feats, all races, etc, only take up 10 pages.

If you add on the purely combat spells, the classes that have little other than raw combat etc it gets a lot more than that.

senpai he said "every single rule is related to combat in some form or another" which they are. very few rules actually have anything to do with telling you how to roleplay and the ones that do (like standard ranger's shit) are fucking awful

SCAG cantrips?

It's all about PAM and Crossbow Master senpai. Monk does get respectable low level DPR while FoBing, but PAM and CBE builds can keep going all day plus burst when applying Action Surge or Smites.

The strongest options have always been in the PHB.

SCAG cantrips are effectively extra attack on their own. Pair this with shit like a melee Sorcerer using Twin Spell/Quicken cantrips and you'll get some of the highest DPR in the game. Things like a Warcaster Rogue getting the equivalent of an entire turn's worth of damage for every reaction attack. SCAG cantrips effectively turn a level 5 character into attack + extra attack + extra attack. PAM and Crossbow Master vastly pale in comparison.
I pointed out that Monk generally outdpses most builds, which it does.

For every reaction attack or crit*

Is critical role any good? Any other 5e related media I should look into?

The new season is really fun so far.

On a scale of 0 to 10 how fun does it sound to play as or with a Kenku Paladin who conquests around seeking nothing but vengeance and crackers while only speaking in olde english insults and power metal lines?

The things you can learn from Matt are good, 80% of character you'll see from the players are tumblrshit snowflakes.
Honestly, outside of Matt, I'm watching the new campaign because I like Liam O'Brien as a whole. He's basically playing piss wizard and is the only, even remotely, relateable character in the team.
Most of the guest players are fucking trashtier, the new campaign has some obnoxious player choices. Overall it's a good learning and viewing experience, though often cringey and aggravating. I'd say half the time I'm having fun watching it, while the other half of the time I just want to hurt people.

What are some cool things you've done with Gnomes in your campaigns?

Removing them, or combining them with another race are not options, please humor the question.

I was inspired by paracelsus's gnomes and how they and their other elementals were guardians of the intelligence and knowledge in nature until time to be shared. I also was inspired by how gnomes are said to look prematurely aged, and found pictures of people afflicted with progeria. Thirdly, I looked into the Skygnomes of Mystara and how they're basically awesome tinker gnomes with biplanes and a floating nation.

Combining all these together it was obvious that Gnomes are both grey alien and men in black combined. They abduct and experiment, and seclude their experiments and discoveries in highly secure black sites, disguised by illusions and mechanical locks. Gnomish technology is decidedly anachronistic, and they keep this technology and it's secrets to themselves, as the world isn't ready for it yet.

Gnomes will adventure to discover or to censor. They are outwardly inquisitive and friendly, they want to know more about you, where you're from, what you do, what did you dream about two nights ago, have you eaten a certain kind of plant lately? They want to know if you need to be contained or not,

Kicked them. I'm xenophobic and hate all you heretics that don't play humans.

it's probably the only 5e media that can be relied on to not ignore like half the rules (though it does have homebrew content but at least it's balanced and consistent), but if you are a bit more relaxed about that kind of stuff The Adventure Zone is mostly decent even if it goes off the rails a lot, and Acquisitions Incorporated:The "C" Team is really funny and actually good

>tumblrshit snowflakes
>cringey
>I just want to hurt people
you sound butthurt

>When another PC is obviously the main character because the entire campaign is based on his backstory.
I think my DM is a closet faggot with a thing for our paladin

>complains about cringe
>Enjoys Liam "I'm playing the same edgelord that in the last campaign" O'Brien

>>Removing them, or combining them with another race are not options, please humor the question.

If you're not going to read, don't reply.

>Enjoys Liam "I'm playing the same edgelord that in the last campaign" O'Brien
This

But hey since this is a Critical Role thread now, rewatching the most recent episode (skipped all of Marisha's 1on1 again) and there was a joke I missed:
>Matt: Don't make the same mistakes as your forefathers
>Laura: (whispered) They have 4 fathers!?
>Sam: (whispered) It's progressive
Funny as fuck

I made them hoodoo swamp people

>haha xd so randum characters are good
Using the new campaign as an example
>my character has black hair that turns white, I'm also heterochromatic and an Aasimaar
>every single character bar two has tumblr haircuts or hair colours
>two Tieflings, one of them literally autism-tier (as in that's the character personality and is played as such), the other an intentionally gender ambiguous, flamboyant character wearing as much gaudy shit as possible, with a skin colour that's apparently 'rare' for Tieflings
>Grog 0.5 in Marisha form who chokes children and is a strong female character ecks dee

I know I'm butthurt, but that doesn't mean that the most commonly watched representation of DnD should be encouraging this shit left and right.

>last campaign
Last campaign his mother died halfway through and still came in every session because he didn't want to upset people. He started out as one of the lives of the group and towards the end made a comeback. 30% of the campaign was spent with him being an edgelord, and that only came as a result of real life issues at the time and he couldn't afford to not come given where they were in the story.
This time he's playing a finnicky father figure who is scared of combat and doesn't want his adoptive daughter to get hurt, but he hasn't, even remotely, done anything edgy. He just talks with a gruff voice because his character is literally a hobo con-artist on the run with the token Goblin.

The SCAG cantrips are actually below Extra Attack in single target damage - their level 5 is 1d8 as opposed to what a 1d10+4 or 1d6+6 would be doing (nevermind GWM/Sharpshooter), and at level 11 they're 2d8 vs Extra Attack 2 or Improved Divine Smite.

It *is* strong on Sorcadin starting around level 8 when they have the SP pool to work it, but that's because it's going to be combined with Smites. Booming Blade is also what justifies melee Rogue (Warcaster, what???) as otherwise CBE with its Bonus Action attack is just safer and better in every way.

But these two are very niche cases, that are bringing classes without Extra Attack up into competitiveness.

As far as martials go, the scariest motherfuckers are the McCree Fighter (CBE+SS+Archery+HC Battle Master), the standard PAM+GWM Battle Master, the PAM Paladin, and the Hasted Sharpshooter Rogue.

The non-martials that compare are the Sorlock and the GWM Sorcadin.

So in all that, only one build is based around the SCAG cantrips. "Vastly pale in comparison"? No, I think not, my friend.

I skip a lot of the dialogue, especially Marisha and Liam, who by the way are both effectively playing the same personalities as they did last campaign.

Literally wouldn't watch were it not for Sam Travis and Laura. They're the best actors, the best role players, and the funniest ones there.
Ashley's Deviant Art OC is poorly acted and the fact she can't even make it for half the sessions is reason enough to not have her be a party member
Marisha is obnoxious and unlikeable and she can't hide behind the fan favourite excuse of her just role laying low Charisma so well she seemed like a genuine cunt. Beau and keyleth are practically identical because marisha doesn't role play, she plays herself.
And Liam is brooding emo 24/7. Even with this new character he's immediately resorted to his usual "I love you, you're the most important person in the world to me, but look we have friends, I'm so lonely" bullshit
Talesin is walking a middle ground, I think he tries to hard to be cool and has an adolescent's idea of what cool is, I was also worried that his new character is really just flamboyant percy, but I think he's done *just* enough to differentiate his characters.

Then Sam Travis and Laura have all made completely different characters to last time, they're easily the best players at the table

>literally autism-tier
YOU TAKE THAT BACK JESTER IS PURE WAIFU MATERIAL

>Voices illidan and gaara
>Expecting him to play something else when he's so good at edgelord

I've only listened to two episodes and think I'm jumping in and missing some stuff. They're in the dwarven City of Kirkhammer or some shit like that.

Did I start at the wrong place? So far I like the DM, Barb, and wizard. Only thing that troubles me is that their group doesn't stop even five minutes making jokes. They actually did things in a few hours. My group can't even talk in character half the time

The last thing I want to do in my life is defend Marisha, but knocking the kid was not a bad call (It was a completely awful call to not use non-lethal damage and avoid the risk of the girl getting back up on a 20 or dying, because Marisha is a stupid cunt who doesn't know the rules after playing the game for years)
No, seriously, fuck you for making me kind almost defend her.
>When my precious Liam is a fucking bore to listen in literally every episode by making one of his repetitive broody soliloquy, is because of IRL reason, he dindu nuffin he a good boy.
>Did anyone else is annoying in any fucking way down to their harcut? FUCK THEM
Yeah, no Liam is bottom tier EVEN in a party made of those obnoxious tumblir fags and that's just sad.

No you started at the right place for season 1.
They had a home game for a couple years, they continued that home game on stream, so there's a lot of history for the characters.

>below 1d8
Are you fucking retarded? At level 5, Booming Blade gets an additional 2d8 potential extra damage on top. GFB gets an additional 2d8 splashed across two targets.

A level 5 Booming Blade with a greatsword is 2d6 + 3d8 + mod potential damage if they move. GFB is 2d6 + 2d8 + mod + mod. If you use this with Twin Spell, this is 4d6 + 6d8 + mod x2 or 4d6 + 4d8 + mod x2 + mod x2. If you use this with Quicken Spell, this is 6d6 + 9d8 + mod x3 if you pick three different targets, or drop a 3d8 if you hit the same target twice. If it's with GFB you do the standard equivalent of three uses. If you're on the second round of combat, you could have used the first round to Haste yourself (and if you Quicken the Haste you can still do two cantrips that turn + an attack). If you're a Draconic Sorcerer, you get another mod for every single GFB or Booming. A level 5 Sorc is already doing far more than everything you listed there. A level 6 Draconic Sorcerer can easily get over 35 guarantee damage purely from modifiers, not even including the damage rolls, and with Haste can get an extra attack on top of it. If you want to go even further, you can do all this with GWM if you have methods of guaranteeing they land.

A Sorc with SCAG can effectively do the equivalent of 9 - 10 attacks every single round for 3 Sorc points each time. If they only do Twin Spell, it's only 1 Sorc point.

A Rogue gets its sneak attack on both its turn and on its reaction (as the reaction won't be taking place during your turn, and you get sneak attack once per 'turn' not 'round'). With Warcaster this means you can use a SCAG cantrip for your reaction. Given that Rogues frontload everything into one attack as it is, a Warcaster Rogue can get the equivalent of three attacks per reaction, or the equivalent of an entire round's worth of damage off a crit as everything is based on rolls, minus 1 - 2 modifiers depending on which spell you use.

That makes more sense. I was figuring they either had all talked about a backstory or I skipped ahead by accident. Thanks user.

Does everyone else use background music and audio? Seems like a cool touch.

Jester is the worst kind of "haha so randum xd spork".

I hope she gets hit by a fucking bus.

Forest gnomes are a the remnants of a religious colony that worship the fallen gnommic god of friendship, Pleebus. Rock gnomes are the gnomes that couldn't make it to the colony or gave up their faith and live as tinkers and toymakers. I basically made half woodland mennonites and the other half Tolkeinian Blue mountain dwarves.

>party's token softspoken guy is bad just because he isn't some tumblrshit turbo autist who randomly says shit like the people playing the midgets
>is worse than the turbo autist that has absolutely zero real life situation awareness (entire ordeal with the guards and accusing Matt of not telling her they were there when they were, trying to get the girl to run when she wasn't in any harm, choking the girl out by literally trying to crush her windpipe and then drag her on the floor, acting like 'me stronk women me human Grog but more stupid'
>haha my character is gender ambiguous and looks like I've spent the last three years drowning myself in glitter and earrings, the Western equivalent of JRPG characters with belts, also I'm just going to repeatedly berate the party even though I say like five words every 40 minutes, and the only reason I even have a character concept is because Matt is forcefeeding me answers about my own circus
The only people that can even remotely comparable to Liam are Travis and Sam right now, and that's purely perspective. Liam isn't playing an emo edgelord just because he talks with a gruff voice. He's playing the skittish character that has a clear reason to be skeptical of a group of, at this point, sociopaths and children (mentally or physically), with an adoptive daughter he needs to take care of because he's a hobo who needs to con to make money. He hasn't even done a single edge thing the entire campaign. At worst he's done a few one-on-one conversations, but they're all with the character directly connected to him via backstory, and otherwise he contributes more ideas than most people.

Yeah, I don't get why people like Beau, Jester, or Molly at the moment. Jester is grating in her attempts at randomness. Beau is a retard sociopath. And Molly is...there?

Booming Blade's extra damage only matters for War Caster reaction attacks, because 95% of the time once you're in contact with an enemy you're both staying put until one of you dies or gets repositioned (which does not trigger BB damage).

It's a bonus effect, not something you should be factoring in your DPR, because it's very rarely going to come up.

Now, GFB's secondary target damage *is* significantly more likely, but D&D has this thing where the only HP that matters is the last one - spreading damage around is bad. You want to focus on one target. You want the entire party to focus fire if possible. So damage that you're spreading around - that is also conditional because it requires targets to be adjacent with each other - is not something you should be factoring as a given into your DPR either.

So, Sorcadin is good. I'm not going to dispute that, it's a very good glass cannon. But you're just pulling your numbers out of your ass here. A Sorcadin at 5 can only quicken once-

Wait, are you even arguing Sorcading?

Holy shit, you're talking about a pure Draconic Sorcerer, aren't you? Oh you sweet summer child.

This

Somehow, I always end up being the face character or defacto group leader whenever I make a PC (with my group), probably because I'm usually the DM so the party is used to letting me speak. I also tend to play more grounded races and characters while they prefer to play quirkier, more outlandish character concepts, and so while my characters tends to be the voice for the crazies, at least they shine in those character moments between one another and when we aren't talking to a story NPC. I guess it works out, but every so often I wish they would take the reigns, too.

I would personally jump ship and start with season 2, they're only four episodes in right now.

>take Spell Sniper
>hit someone 10 feet away with your glaive using your cantrips
>they're forced to move if they want to melee anyone
Wow, so hard. Otherwise they stand there and you're still wailing them with (1d10 + 1d8 + mod) x2 and they can't fight back without absolutely gimping themselves.

>not something you should be factoring into your DPR
I only included Booming Blade because it's potentially higher damage, but has basically the same average damage otherwise, and it's the best single target option of the two. GFB is a consistent version of what I just said and ends up amounting to far more consistent damage with two targets. Even then, just because you think it doesn't come up, doesn't mean it's not potential damage, because that's not argument.

>you want to focus on one target
On one target you're getting the equivalent of 6 attacks, 7 in case of Haste (which your class can cast on themselves freely at level 5, something your build can't do). That's more than your build is dealing. This was just to humor you, anyway, as the 'only ST damage matters' argument only works in cases where the aoe damage is otherwise inconsistent. GFB is consistent because you're never going to use it without two enemies adjacent to one another, so your entire argument is a fallacy.

>last three lines
>haha I'll just ignore everything you say and fight back using a direct attack
At 5 they can quicken twice. Alternatively, they can Quicken once for 9 - 10 attacks worth of damage, and then just use Twin Spell for the equivalent of 6 - 7 attacks per turn with a free bonus action. After combat, which will easily be over by the 2 - 3rd round, they just replenish their points and repeat next fight.

You're autistically pretentious and you don't even know what you're talking about. There's no numbers being pulled out of anywhere, and you haven't actually argued anything I've said with any form of logic or proof past 'nuh uh'.

>pick human
>instantly become the main character because no one else wants to pick human over one of their snowflake races
>character instantly becomes the most relatable character as a result, even to the other players, so opinions have the most weight

Okay I said he is bottom tier but I'm not saying he is worst than Marisha. I never said that, that's just straight libel man.
But seriously the worst you can muster about Taliesin is that his character looks like a dipshit? Oh no! in this game of play pretend, a character we are never going to actually look has a dumb appearance, truly the worst thing that could ever happen. Overall he is not great, but he at least was responsable for the best arc in the last game, which is more than what can be said about Liam. The only thing close to a positive he has ever done is introducing Sam to DnD, and you have to be the biggest cocksucker fangirl to imply that he is even remotely comparable Travis, the one and truly great player in that shitshow

>sorcadin
he never mentioned paladin at all. just sorc, which proves that scag cantrips are strong

I might have the chance to DM for 4 completely newbies (never played a TTRPG before).
Whilst I have DMed a before, it's only been within my normal group to give our regular DM a break.
So, I've never DMed a full campaign, more like one-shots and some standalone quests that lasted no more than 3 sessions.

I'm thinking of buying and running Lost Mines of Phandelver as I've heard good things.
Seems it can can link up to storm kings thunder if needed. Is that worth pursuing if all goes well?
I'll probably use milestone levelling since I don't want to track xp.

Since these guys are complete newbies, what are some of the more beginner friendly race/class/background combos?
Which would be the best spellcaster class for complete beginners?
Also if anyone wants to go ranger I'll probably use revised ranger but try and steer them toward hunter conclave for simplicity.
Let's also make the assumption that they won't really be checking their sheets much outside the session.

Any other tips for dealing with complete newbies?
Any advice for running the Starter Set?

I just got Efreeti Chainmail, how excite should I be? Because I honestly have no idea.

>What IP, setting, story, or character have you shamelessly copied to use in your campaign?
Warhammer Fantasy Battles
>What do you like about it?
Had some awesome lore for the races, even tho I did tweak some bits to make it more D&D friendly
Also added bits of WarCraft (mostly for the Gnomes, as well as Night Elves) and Lord of the Rings (for the Halflings and Goblins), and chunks of other D&D settings, specifically Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Dragon Lance, Planescape, and Eberron, as well as the MtG stuff introduced in the Planeshift supplements (especially Zendikar, Amonkhet, Kaladesh, and I recently added elements of Ixalan to the already existing Lustria/Maztica hybrid)

'The worst you can muster'
No, the dipshit part is just part of what I said. He's said basically fuck all and his entire backstory is being forcefed to him by Matt. The only thing he's actually created for his own character is "I'm a Bloodhunter who was in the circus lol", and outside of that he's only done two things the entire campaign so far - tell the party how they're wrong because 'think about carnival folk' and whine about his rolls.
>talks about fangirl because I mention that he's comparable to Travis
>proceeds to immediately suck his dick
Irony
>more than what can be said about Liam
Liam's character was one of the best in both the early and late stages of the last campaign. The only reason people even consider him emo is because he kept coming to game at the same time his mother died. He made a giant comeback towards the end and returned to his roots.
This campaign he's contributed some of the best shit in the entire party. Let's compare him to the party -
Tiefling Blue - autistic: the character
Tiefling Purple - done nothing but whine about the party or about his rolls, tumblrshit, has no apparent backstory but you'll suck his dick in 20 episodes when he pretends to have been doing something in background the entire time to make up for his lack of involvement
Grog 0.5 - stronk women sociopath with zero awareness and has done nothing other than point out she's stronk women who doesn't care about hurting children
Goblin - perspective. Good player, character only shines because she's got Piss Wizard as skittish straightman. Otherwise just another Tiefling Blue, but less randumb.
Hexcancer - perspective, you can fuck off with your dick sucking. All he's done is transform while his high Charisma stat is the NPC-convincer, and hit things with a sword.
Edgy Guest/Permanent Player Hybrid - the actual edgiest shit that's been in this campaign, also snowflake as fuck, no understanding of the game.
Liam has been justified in everything he's done so far.

Get players to institute a party slush/communal fund.

For example 4 players get 7 gold.
Each player gets 1 gold and the other 3 go to the fund. They use the communal fund for bribes, lodging, healing and anything that benefits that collective.
Also, if a player is short a few coins they might be able to dip into the fund.

Immune to fire, baby. Go nuts. Set yourself on fire with Alchemist Fire and never put it out

O K

Let's put a scenario here. Level 8, vs an AC 16 target, standard 3-round fight.

Gonna do McCree to avoid arguing about thinking about attacks (a PAM wielder will get 1 or 2 in most fights). Variant Human, which should also be good for you since you seem to be advocating feats a lot without accounting their opportunity cost with ASIs, but you can pick another race if you want.

He's got CBE, Sharpshooter, 20 DEX, Archery FS, is a Battle Master. You're arguing for burning through your SP, so this BM will use an Action Surge.

11 attacks, hits on an 11+, 1d6+15 per hit applying Sharpshooter.

Expected 3-round damage: 103.67

All resources spent here were the single Action Surge, however, there *are* 5 Superiority Die available to spend on Precision or attempt a Trip (if in close range) to grant Advantage on subsequent attacks (ie the action surge turn). As with the AS, all the Superiority Die are short rest resources.

If we wanted to actually go full nova here then it'd have to be a guesstimation since the math is complicated without running it through a function, but it should be adding about 3 or 4 extra hits for applying Precision, so the damage jumps up to between 160-175.

What does your... Sorcerer? Is it a Sorcerer, are you multiclassing it? Anyway, what does it do in this scenario?

Not true, at least not in my experience
In our games, it always ended-up being the Drow to become "the main character" while the human always just ended-up being the dumb muscle