Serious talk: What makes 5e a "normie RPG"? What constitutes a "normie RPG"?

Serious talk: What makes 5e a "normie RPG"? What constitutes a "normie RPG"?

How much do Critical Role and other RPG streams have to do with a "normie RPG"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtaL5Bark54&t=
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only people who call 5e a normie RPG are Pathfinder retards, who somehow think having a game with more complicated rules and number crunching makes it a better game. 5e is the most streamlined and easy to use version and for idiots this is bad. See

youtube.com/watch?v=jtaL5Bark54&t=

For the average person who hates 5e.

The term normie has become so overused in Veeky Forums it has lost a definitive meaning. Some people like r9k use it to define people who actually act normal and don't have autism infecting them. Some people use it to define the typical douchebags you see on a bar, the type of people that would make fun of you for playing something like D&D. And other use it to define Critical Role, a place where overly-nice people crack jokes and laugh at every small thing, and defend Marisha which Veeky Forums has a huge hate boner for, as normie.

tl;dr Enjoy what you do instead of being a faggot that cares about Veeky Forums's opinion, because there are a plethora of different kinds of autists here

/thread

fpbp as always

I tried 3e but didn't make the shift to it, and I've never tried 5e. I attribute the normalfaggotry accusations entirely to Critical Role.

>What constitutes a "normie RPG"?
Traits of what is colloquially called normie [x] in my opinion:
Design concerned with mass appeal.
Image concerned. Risk averse, sometimes cynically so.
Big focus on accessibility. Uncomplicated, unchallenging, but more concerned with appearing uncomplicated than true ease of use optimization.
Inoffensive, generic, shies away from surprising consumers, or introducing them to something new. Likes to confirm first impression and assumptions, because of fear of consumer alienation.
If referring to a revised product often containing feature and detail loss, over zealously streamlined.
Well know, first pick of uninformed newcomers, brand name, most marketing power.

Mind that those are my interpretations of the connotations of the "normie" slang term when used as an adjective, not a discussion of 5e status.

Its relatively streamlined as a system and its current popularity coincides with the normie invasion boogieman currently under tabletop's bed. Every version of D&D must be hated for something, the grog collective subconscious demands a neat, easy to fling criticism.

A+ post, sadly this thread will probably hit bump limit from anons bitching at each other, and there'll be at least one political shitflinging contest too.

>1 hour long video of a bumbling dude who doesn't even start talking about D&D until 4 and 1/2 minutes in while shilling his patreon, he also hates it but admits he's never actually played it.

Nothing. Opinions of people who unironically use the word "normies" are not worth istening to anyway.

Why is that post A+? Seems to contain some bitching you criticize.

A bit overblown to draw lines in the sand over that. Especially when lingo just adjusts to context and milieu.

>bumbling dude
Lurk before posting.

fpbp. You put it way better than I could.

Oh yes, god forbit that user talk about the great Spoony, who literally no one talks about ever and who probably hasn't been mentioned in at least a year until now.

/thread
It's literally just faggots who don't like anything that they don't have to spend a school semester studying to learn how to play.

Is he still nuts or has he calmed down a little. It's been a while since I've heard of him streaming to 500+ people on a youtube channel of over 50k(?) subscribers and calling that a win.

Where do I fall if I hate Pathfinder and 5e but like 4e?

It's popular.

It's normie because it's really simple without much expansion material. Anyone can go buy a player's handbook and a monster manual to experience it to it's fullest.

Going "reee normies" is stupid, but you have to admit that there is something like too much simplification. 5e makes for a great introductory game, but then it just kinda stops there, trying to stretch the tutorial feel over the whole game instead of ever going deeper. I don't see any value in playing it over lever 4 or so, and I say that after getting a game to level 10 and noticing that it was just the same stuff over and over again.

To Hell, I hope.

You're what people refer to us as fourries.
Due to some autistic people who like to shorten things when talking rather than it's actual name, 4E, when spoken aloud, could be forced to sound like furry. So, it was likely coined by either a dude who hated both furries and D&D 4th or by a furry trying to deflect some hate from themselves that semi-caught on (and by that, I mean is only used by autists who want any easy way to dismiss our opinions because we like a superior D&D).

>superior D&D
4rries, stay delusional

The 4rry resistance will never die, brother.

Contrarian Edgelord

>Anyone can go buy a player's handbook and a monster manual to experience it to it's fullest.
That sounds like a good thing

it already did

/5eg/ seems really fucking desperately trying to ignore the warning signs the edition's popularity is waning, they see the roll20 statistics that reveal more DM's are running 3.X/PF while 5e has literal hordes of players unable to find a game and think "this is normal".

You know the Games statistic counts all those games that are dead but not deleted, don't you?

The hating it while admitting he's never played make him our guy.

It has to have activity in that specific quarter. That can be one guy clicking create campaign and not touching it.

Tell that to my 4e games.

Y-You realize that makes the 5e statistics look even worse right?

Not him, but I don't think it does.

It depends on what you consider "worse", looking at the Q2 2017 report it looks like the 3.5/Pathfinder community are much more engaged with the wider community (playing all 4 version of the game) than 5e players who seem to be insular (5E only) and hop around smaller tables (2-3 players) like crazy.

I'm not going to get into the semantics of the term 'normie', but I think it's possible some people can have valid concerns over an influx of so-called normies. New players are fine, but I think the real worry is over people listening to TAZ or Critical Roll, and wanting something about those experiences more than taking the game at hand seriously.

>people actually play the shit show that is 4e
[citation needed]

>It's impossible to consider that people would play an edition of D&D.
Are you stupid? There are probably more people playing 4e than there are who play AD&D or B/X.

I have never met a person who plays 4e therefore no one does

Okay, I have never met a person who plays 3.PF after 5e came out, therefore everyone stopped playing it I guess.

Correct

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you stick with the hobby a while you will see that this happens every time a new edition of DnD comes out. The ADnD crowd despised 3rd edition. The people who were raised on 3rd and it's ten thousand OGL clones spent years trashing 4th. They are still going strong mainly because Pathfinder has acted as life support for that animosity. The 3.Ps and 4e fans both have a lot of hatred toward 5th edition. In a few years, when 6th edition comes out, people will hate that one.

There are actually a lot of people, probably the majority of players you will meet, who either have no strong opinions between these editions, or see them as all roughly the same with minor differences. But if you come to places like this, you are going to see the bitterness and anger of all the players who feel betrayed by the release of a new version of the game. ANY new version of the game will instill the exact same reaction. They will always find a reason to vilify it because what they really don't like is that it is new and they think it is trying to replace what they already play and enjoy. I know people who have hated every new edition of DnD since Advanced, always for different reasons, but it's always, ultimately, the same actual reason. So when they say it is "normie", that is just one of the ways they have chosen to attack this version of it. They associate it with the growing popularity of the hobby, and use that to attack it. Just like they attacked 4e for being like an mmo and appealing to video gamers. But in both cases, while the argument might have validity, it isn't really what they are mad about. They are just mad that the new version of DnD isn't the one they are used to, and books are no longer being published for the edition they want to use.

I would not worry about it if I were you. This too will pass.

People who use anime pictures on Veeky Forums are the biggest normies on this site.

The edition the resistance is about, on the other hand...

Pre-2e: Grognards
2e: THAC0cks
3e: 3aboos
4e: 4rries
5e: 5edoras

>RPGs getting attention again
>not wanting more people to play with
do you motherfuckers want your hobby to die

>taking the game at hand seriously
It always makes me laugh when people talk about taking roleplaying games seriously
"Enough with the jokes and distractions! Let us go back to our fantasy world to take things seriously!"
Different people have different ways of playing, find a group that matches your taste and stop being a fag

It seems that yes, autists would rather the entire hobby collapse than normies and girls be allowed in.

It will not be the hobby I love.

Money is not required to keep ttrpgs alive

The hobby has managed to survive up to this point without normies and girls, so I reckon it can continue to survive without them in future.

Here's a funny picture of Tom reading catgirls.

Some systems are a more complicated simulation. Where 5e has 6 canonical attributes, some have as many as 16, but some also have fewer than 6. Where 5e uses different damage dice for different weapons, some have different damage dice for each type of weapon stroke, and some use the same die for every weapon while adding a modifier. 5e has hit points and situational conditions, some systems determine wounds from lookup tables.
In relation to those more complex modelling systems, 5e could be considered more "normie". But compared to the system it replaced, it's more complicated, so it's more likely this is a word people are just throwing around. My wife is probably 3/4ths normal and I'd struggle to get her to learn 5e.

You underage morons may not know this but the hobby always had "normies" and girls in it.

There’s still twice as many 5e games as all 3.pf games

Well he got his twitter deleted which might help him out of this death spiral of doing fuck all.

Its easy to get my friends into, and the flow of the action is much more simple now than it has been in any other tabletop RPG Ive ever played.
So yeah, I kind of love 5e now......

Ive gotten dudes who huffed paint to understand 5e and create a character in an hour and a half.

5doras*

Mmmm. Depends. Where do you stand on GURPS, Dungeon World, Strike! and Burning Wheel?

You're either a dyed in the wool 4rry or you're a contrarian hipster.

So... the same way 1st edition was normie? Or pathfinder for that matter?

It was made for online play, and still excels at it.

Allow me to answer yourself with yourself

>What makes 5e a "normie RPG"?
>Critical Role and other RPG streams

I mean fpbp got most of it, really the only point to exposit is why. I feel like the problem a lot of those faggots have is that they have a very narrow worldview. They can't accept that the world isn't full of a bunch of cliches and stereotypes. Jocks are jocks and nerds are nerds. Travis Willingham can't like rpgs, he's a dumb jock. Matthew Mercer can't be attractive, he's a nerd. And Sam isn't allowed to make me question my sexuality.

Some people don't understand that birth doesn't use a point buy system, or even a standard array. Its all rolled, baby. sometimes you get 9-12 in every stat, and sometimes you don't have anything below a 14.

*tips 5dora*

M'Luck Feat

I know, I can do better. But fuck you.

>Enjoy what you do instead of being a faggot that cares about Veeky Forums's opinion

/board

>What constitutes a "normie RPG"?

Like most of Veeky Forums's flavor of the month buzz words, it means "thing I don't like"

He's got a point

>normie
It's normalfag you normalfag.
5e is considered that way because it's a dumbed down installment compared to its predecessors.
Dumbed down means more accessible, more accessible means casual, casuals are normalfags and normalfags do not belong on a hobbyist website.

haha can I have your permission to save this image? :)
I would like to show it to my friends!:)

Oh please if you're a true hobbyist you would be playing your games and still have stories even if the companies try and fail to open to a wider audience in an effort to try to get more moola.

No it didn't you lying sack of poo poo.