EDH/Commander General /edhg/

What The Hell Happened?! Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Seriously, what the hell happened, you sweaty fat fucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-end-is-never-the-end/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manaboi-omnath/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/duel-decks-elves-vs-inventors-packaging-and-previews-2018-02-06
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/patron-of-the-draft-chaff/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-02-18-XNI-karador/?cb=1517936960
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poor-mans-dino-commander/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-01-18-oloro-the-immortal/?cb=1517951333
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We slow, pls no bully

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-end-is-never-the-end/

Now without Braid of Fire, since I learned yesterday that it's entirely useless to me. RIP in pepperoni.

I made the same mistake user, it seemed too good to be true

Need advice on what to add / take out

Maybe a rancor or some other trample

I've always been a little challenged as it pertains to the finer rulings like that.

Anyways, the deck is a blast to run. Jank as hell, but I love it for exactly that reason.

Decklist please?

Need advice on what to add / take out

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manaboi-omnath/

Maybe a rancor or some other trample

I'm a retard

What went wrong? Seems like a decent way to give him a free tap every turn when it sticks (although fuggin useless at any other time unless you run a Gemstone Array or something similar)

I suppose that's true too, but if that's the best I can do with it, then it doesn't really seem worth the card slot (or ~$10) to me.

>$10
Oh yeah, fuck that. Maybe in a Slobad/Daretti build where you'll have more abilities to filter that mana, but in Feldon that's underwhelming. There are better things to blow that cash and slot on.

Just a few ideas:

Assault Suit
Hammer of Nazahn
Alpha Authority
Aspect of Wolf
Canopy Cover
Fists of Ironwood
Gaea's Embrace
Snake Umbra
Spider Umbra
Vow of Wildness

I want to run a mono white commander, but I'm worried about the lack of ramp and card draw. How do you guys cope with it?

Same with Boros, too, I guess.

I'm opting to try Coalition Relic in its place.

Not a bad tempo play, especially if you don't have haste for ol' Feldon

I'll check them out thanks a lot.

This is my first self made deck that doesnt seem to be shit

Isamaru, Hound of Konda Voltron. You will always get your Commander out.

Sram Voltron with the following ramp cards:

Eternal Dragon
Knight of the White Orchid
Kor Cartographer
Oreskos Explorer
Weathered Wayfarer
Endless Horizons (risky, I know, but still)
Gift of Estates
Land Tax
Tithe

There's also mana rocks and other artifacts that could help get you there in terms of ramp and draw power.

I'm playtesting it with all those cards instead of lands and the mana flow seems steady enough so I might just do that.

Glad I could help then.

Thanks user

I love players who think they're the shit, get blown out by a single card, then reveal that they didn't actually even understand simple card rules.

Got my hands on a sweet foil Scorpion God. How do I make him good? I mean, the flavor and art of -1/-1 matters cards are already exceptional, I just need to maximize the value.

Browsed through edhrec, it seems that shadowmoor/new phyrexia seem to be the main sources of this mechanic. Any spicy tech I'm missing?

So far I've only managed to create DecreeofPain.dec, that needs more mana and more cards

A Reanimation Package and a few value fatties wouldn't hurt - the -1/-1 is good, but don't build the entire deck around it since Scorpy can generate those himself. Since you are discussing what seems to be a boardwipe heavy deck, reanimation will be bretty gud in conjunction with everything else.

In my experience, for some reason people trip over themselves trying to remove endless horizons as quickly as possible, but then are happy to let the black player have Phyrexian Arena or the blue player silently draw of off of Rhystic Study the entire game. Maybe i just play with retards.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/duel-decks-elves-vs-inventors-packaging-and-previews-2018-02-06

>it's elves vs goblins II

I have a Carnifex Demon and Skinrender as instant value creatures so far, I guess there are more to be found. It doesn't really boardwipe a lot (aside from things like Black Sun's), but it generates a chain reaction sometimes. I run black infect creatures I leave on blockers to spread more counters and put things that give them the ability to ping for 1, and then some proliferate package.

Not having too much ramp is kind of a problem, I grew used to decks with green and the ability cost enough to not be cast the same turn I cast the commander. Also, how many upkeep draw sources would you run in such a deck?

5-8 static draws are always good, regardless of what you're playing. I'd run 5 at the very least.
Black Market seems up your alley for ramp, as even Scorpion God will be dying. Otherwise the usual suite of 5-8 rocks (signet, ring, maybe keyrune, etc) since Rakdos can struggle sometimes with fixing. I know Urborg ain't cheap, but having a good chance at always having black mana on each of your lands is gonna be pretty good in this deck - I don't see you running as many red effects this time around. Chromatic Lantern is always a must in Rakdos.
You're gonna be killing things, so making your draw/ramp synergize with that gameplan ain't a bad idea. Don't be afraid to add some outliers, but if you're going heavy into value you can adjust your other cards to match.
Run like 5-6 wraths. Your scorpion god comes back the next turn all over again with the right mana, and if you're lucky you can activate his ability 1-3 times before you wrath, officially stapling a couple cantrips to every board reset (and again, stocking the yard, Reanimator is gonna be GOOD here)

>Thread Question
/edh/ is unbelievably lazy when it comes to making new threads.

Would you really run chromatic lantern in a rakdos deck? I thought that was only really needed in 3+ color decks?

Depends on the deck, to be honest. I know in decks like Rakdos, LoR, you want that 4th colored mana ASAP. I figured since you're running a commander with 2 specific color requirement pips for each activation of the ability, you'd want to flexibility Lantern provides. Otherwise, you're limited by exactly how much black/red mana you have out in 1:1 ratios, give or take due to that 1 generic requirement as well. It's not easy to balance that sort of thing, and you will be feeling that as you tune the deck up. ESPECIALLY if you wanna run any 3-pip spells, or use Scorpy's ability late (1 R and 1 B just to cast, not to mention 1 R and 1 B just to mark one creature for draw. You're already sitting at the Lord of Riots problem right there, and you still need to find 4 generic mana. Sure, that assumes you want to do things that quickly, but once you get late game that's honestly your best bet)

Is making Zetalpa a bad idea?

Cap Flap is A-OK. You won't be fast, but you will be fun. Run a lotta ramp and Protection so when you finally land the bitch you're ready to start Slappin with the Flappin

It's better that way. We've cultivated a relaxed integrated atmosphere free from bullshit.

>another reprint of Shivan Reef
Reprint Adarkar Wastes, Sulfurous Springs and Brushland already you lazy fucks

What can you tell about someone just by the commander they play?

Random nonsense. If that is your commander, you're a sadist who watches animu and plays a hateful deck filled with discard.

That, or you have a cat and enjoy a good grilled cheese.

That's nice. I need to make sure my opponents are running enough creatures though to make it all worthwhile

I have my Urborg in a mono-b deck with Coffers, can't afford to move it around. Urborg ain't free. Swamps gotta be littered with Bubbling Muck and Crypt Ghasts.

Not him, but I do, given how specific his ability cost is, there is not nearly enough color fixing in BR, the only colorless rocks I'm running are Sol Ring and Thought Vessel. I even have a one drop that turns colorless mana into black or red

>Seriously, what the hell happened, you sweaty fat fucks?
Unlike other fatguys we have jobs

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/patron-of-the-draft-chaff/
Reposting from last thread, with refined question: do I have right balance of draw/ramp/combo? Also, what are some mono-U wincing that aren’t just “Combo off and win” that could//should be in here?

Why dont you playtest it to find out

I dont get your commander. Literally why.

>what the hell happened, you sweaty fat fucks
I never played EDH to begin with, I just like being in these threads because they're fast moving and easy to have conversations in.

>he doesn't know about Patron of the Moon with Amulet of Vigor

based

this is probably one of the consistently most enjoyable threads on Veeky Forums objectively speaking

thats why i've made many an ms paint for you guys to reward you

When is Commander 2018 coming out?
Is it August like in 2017 or november like the previous years?

Hopefully never. We don't need more eminence-like commanders

I haven't looked too farm into it but perhaps cards with Undying?

Commander is for three reasons:
I wanted to kill people with sunscorched desert
I had a foil Amulet of vigor and wanted to use it (pulled during draft, always held on to it) and it pairs with Storm Cauldron
3. I have a friend who makes alters and she had been wanting to do a Patron of the Moon later for the longest time but she wanted to make sure it would have a forever home (haven’t seen it yet but hey free alter so yay?

I'm turning my Meren deck into Karador. Any cards I should consider? Here is a rough draft of the deck thus far. Need to cut a few cards. Disregard mana base, I've got it covered.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-02-18-XNI-karador/?cb=1517936960

New Ezuri art for last duel dek

Well, that depends on whether you want to create a self-sustained engine or just prevent other people from having nice things. I haven't seen much useful creatures with undying in BR, and Geralf's Messenger doesn't necessarly justifies spending 1BR every time you want to loop him

>Blue
>Retarded spiky sword

Absolutely disgusting

Man that's a disappointing Goblin Welder art ...

Also new Elvish Archdruid

Any good MODO cEDH commanders to use? I'm guessing Edgar and Breya are top ones, with some partner control decks? I just wanna dip in a bit with the 1v1 meme.

I think it's November. C17 was described as being an off year because they felt the need to squeeze in both Iconic Masters and Unstable in the holiday season.

How good is Big Mana mono-b? That was the archetype I started with the format back in the day and I was just enthralled with tapping swamps for a gorillion of mana, but now I've seen far to many efficient infinite mana combos to be impressed by that. Does it become better with green added?

It's fine to good. If you end up going bg you become outclassed by reanimator strategies.

It's all or nothing, I like it very much. Playing with a timer on yourself really pumps up the enjoyment I get out of games

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poor-mans-dino-commander/

Thoughts on my retard beatstick dinos?

Just started playing with the lads and pulled Zacama, thought it'd be fun to make a Commander deck outta him.

Ashen Rider is stupid good (without looking). My buddy has a really sick Karador deck. He's literally just missing a few of the really expensive cards.

Also, if you don't have a "win now" combo if you go off, Karador is a grinder and it does start to get annoying.

Outclassed in what regard? Mono-b reanimator is completely doable as well, and green ramp with mana sinks should be descent. I just wonder why nobody's doing it

Decent card draw in Naya? Somewhat budget options, too?

harmonize
humble defector

Greater Good, Rishakar's Expertise, Shamanic Revelation, Life's Legacy.

If you don't have a commander in mind already Sram Voltron draws a whole bunch.

If you can shell out for a Sylvan Library, do it. I bit the bullet a while ago and it feels so good to slam on turn two.

Alternatively, I'd run Momentous Fall over Life's Legacy so you can blow out people's kill spells. If you're Naya you hopefully have the mana to hold up.

Grab like 5 plains instead of all the plains with Horizons, perhaps?
Might make them less likely to blow it up and thus try to take you out, while being basically deck thinning with upside on your end.

Depends on if you go tall, go wide or go lands.
Green has great draw but it's dependent on permanents.

It sucks

Thanks, I figured.

If you want to play dinos use Gishath as your commander. Add mana ramp and card draw too because you'll be behind everyone else.

What's the most fun commander for big black mana? Erebos seems like an obvious fit but kind of boring

Thanks, I'll see if anyone in the group has one I can trade for.

Angel of Despair
Archon of Justice
Debtors' Knell
Duneblast
Siege Rhino

Not him, but I'm playing Zacama as a ramp commander. And a way to Kiki+Zealous Conscripts

>Siege Rhino

Don't do this. My buddy has the biggest boner for Siege Rhino, and tried it for so long in Karador and he said he never wanted to draw the card, see it in his hand or whatever.

If you're making this out of whatever piles you have on hand, then I can't help you all that much. If you want to actually dedicate some money to it though, there are a few things I can think of.

If you're doing Gishath then you should up your number of dinos to around 30 at least so you can hit as many as possible when its effect triggers. Also, you are running way too many lands. Even in a ramp deck you should only be running around 40 and not 52.

Go for it! Any advice is helpful and this could always go from a casual hobby to something else down the road when I have more free time.

I hate rhino with a passion after khans standard. Neat cards. Duneblast is in my maybe board already. High cmc on some of those, but worth considering. Thanks.

Best recursion to add to Kumena? I have none, currently.

Eternal Witness
You will run it and you will like it

In that case, I think you want a pretty general ramp into goodstuff approach with the deck. Mirari's Wake and Chromatic Lantern are must-haves, for starters. Not to mention a basic ramp package of spells like Rampant Growth, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach and so on. Mayael's Aria also seems like a good call with Zacama, as your Commander makes getting a power 10 creature a breeze to reap those benefits turn after turn, as well as giving you another route to victory if left unchecked.

Once you have your wealth of mana available, you need things that can take advantage of it. Generally speaking, X spells are useful here. You could opt towards burning your opponents and their boards with spells like Comet Storm or Molten Disaster. You can also go for the "Oops, All Permanents" approach, utilizing big spells like Genesis Wave or Primal Surge.

Zacama doesn't need to be built as a tribal deck, but if you want it to be, then Pyrohemia is a card you'll probably want, as a lot of the best Dinosaurs have Enrage effects and Pyrohemia is the best way to repeatedly activate them. There are plenty of tribal synergies you would want as well, including Gishath, Regisaur Alpha, Temple Altisaur, Thundering Spineback and Wakening Sun's Avatar. Enablers such as Priest of the Wakening Sun, Kinjalli's Caller, Drover of the Mighty, Otepec Huntmaster and Knight of the Stampede help you a ton in the early game as well. Finally, Shared Animosity will be an invaluable piece of tech when going for the kill with even a few Dinosaurs in play.

In case you want to stray away from the tribal approach, the sky is the limit for what you include. Just look for all the best shit in your colors and jam it in there. You're playing goodstuff, after all. Though I will say having a Seedborn Muse on hand so that you can constantly employ Zacama's activated abilities should be something you seek no matter what.

I'm about at text limit now, so I hope this helps.

Brilliant, thanks. Looking through my piles, I have a lot of those cards and they seem like obvious adds. I must've been completely exhausted when I was building this yesterday.

Thanks a bunch, mate.

Shaman of Forgotten ways is a decent dork + a janky wincon. Should have ferocious online in dino's anyway.

Is Debtors Knell worth it since it's so expensive? I usually use it with decks that have some form of ramp, artifact and/or ramp cards, but otherwise I question it based on the cost.

I dunno, I just think it'd be fun. If the price gives you pause, then you should probably pass.

Not price, but CMC.

Oh. Well, same response, really. I don't really take curve into account when building decks all that much, I just want to play shit that'll be cool.

Is Gahiji fun to play against in a multiplayer game? I want to play a little politics deck without being a massive faggot.

Could you guys help me out with my oloro deck?

I dont know what to cut and what to do about the stuff in the maybeboard.
It's meant to be a pillowforty deck with lifegain

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-01-18-oloro-the-immortal/?cb=1517951333

What did the mailman bring you today /edhg/?

Nothing. Still trying to figure out what to brew.

>Could you guys help me out with my oloro deck?
Pick a better general.

This. I can't believe people continue to pick any of the top 10 most played commanders. Boring, generic and lack of creativity. The decks build themselves.

Well what commanders do you play user?

Man that nether void, my mishra is envious

What could you possibly be building with these