How would I play
>warrior character who genuinely loves fighting and killing more than anything
without being edgy, boring, and cliché?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AbmDLVFAaec
youtu.be/-BrFWHXbttM?t=80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't.

Instead of just loving fighting they could be after the challenge. You don't give a shit about slaughtering some peasants, you want to fight the strongest people.

Base him off Chappie.

Humans like to go to sleep.

What setting? If your character is supposed to be insane, have him chase the challenge to crazy degrees, such as fighting with no armor or blindfolded.

Barbarian/Orc Trope, make it a matter of pride.
Goku.
Soldier, son of a soldier, son of a soldier. Military is all he knows, to the point where he feels out of place outside military ranks or a firefight.

Bang, is no edgy no more

He's addicted to the rush that you get when you're fighting for your life, and the feeling of release when you triumph over it

You cannot, because that's fucking edgy you Twerp.

Just give him a more rounded personality like that. There's nothing wrong with him being someone that super loves fighting and killing, but he's lived an entire life up to this point. What else does he care about, what else does he do, who has been in his life / who has influenced it / who does he respect?

Like a dude bro UFC fighter but the stakes are real.

>Snipings a good job, mate.
>Be outdoors
>Get to travel
>Someone is gonna want someone dead.

Have them be a professional who just really likes his job enthusiastically.

youtube.com/watch?v=AbmDLVFAaec

Make him a educated Khornate
"War does not end with a single victory or a single planet. It is an eternal creature that outlives men and their tiny triumphs."

Goku.

A diplomatic and refined gentleman who understands that patience and restraint with proper manipulation and connections yields the largest and bloodiest battles and wars, and the wait just makes the bloodshed all the more glorious.

He has a reputation for the stark contrast between his genteel and noble demeanor and his vicious combat prowess and revelry in battle.

came to this thread to say this

Just include always finishing a fight with a kill into his character, and you’ve got it.

Creating a character who's loves the challenge of a fight is the oldest cliche in the book. Have him be smart, to the point even where other PC might feel uneasy being around you. He can always think of a reason why killing someone would be the best option. Your character catches a thief? He was probabaly going to steal again so the best option is to put them down now. Caught the bad guy? It would be way to risky to bring him back alive he should be killed right there. Guards are getting paid off to arrest you and your party? Those crooked bastards, they don't deserve mercy. Over the course of the campaign you could have him develop a selfish complex where he has to deal out his own law and justice with death being the only punishment. It could start with him "accidentally " going too far and killing lesser baddies when he should have let them live. Advancing to him picking beaten but still breathing baddies off the ground and forcing them to fight him.

>loves fighting
We can perfectly well work with that.

>and killing
Now this is a problem.
But let me ask you.If you love fighting, why would you love killing? If you fight without killing, your enemy can come back to give you a new fight. He'll be stronger, more experienced, smarter. If you kill you're depriving yourself of fights.

Read about greek heroes.

>If you love sex why do you want to orgasm? When you orgasm sex is over.
Silly. Listen: You don't need to subvert it. Everybody acting like you need to is stupid and tone-blind. want to make it non-edgy? Just have him kill bad guys exclusively. Setting more grey than that? Can you get away with making it silly while still preserving setting-tone? Have him be big and goofy when doing it. Nobody calls TF2 edgy and every character in there is a murdering sociopath. It's not a question of what, it's a question of how much weight you and the story treat it with and what parts you emphasise.

Make them simple - they just enjoy fighting because it's fun. It gets their blood pumping, they speak through their fists, make friends with people who aren't afraid to change blows and new enemies with unique fighting styles are the spice of their lives. Maybe throw them into an arena where they can perform. People can be entertained by dancers so why wouldn't they have fun watching happy fighter?

Great taste and a good idea.

Just watch the short "Meet the Sniper" from TF2. It will give you a great template to work from.

He conceals his love of fighting to himself by creating a second personality that "forces" him to act in such manner. There is always a skeleton bird telling him to punish the criminals for the master and that he is the chosen one.

>without being edgy
Edgy is someone pretending to be tough and being ridiculous. If your character really enjoy this and do every time he got an oportunity, he's genuine. If someone complain, kill them.

play it as the triumphs of one's will or cause over the other, the ultimate challenge of combat, or they just like explosions/hitting things

If he count movies...
>Kills lucifer
>Kills Wheelo
>Kills Lord Slug
>Killed King Piccolo
>killed a good chunk of the Ginyu force
>nearly killed freeza (got kill-stealed by Future-Tunks killing mecha freeza)
>Killed Turles
>Killed Cooler twice (second time with Vegeta)
>kills Kid Buu
>kills Golden Freeza
and that's just what I remember off the top of my head

Brian Blessed season 1 of Black Adder.

Make it his flaw and make him see it that way.

>killed a good chunk of the Ginyu Force
but that was vegeta coup de gracing their unconscious bodies

Make him legitimately friendly and pleasant to be around otherwise.

Dose he see himself unworthy of his family?
Dose he feel that he must sacrifice his self to keep them and others safe?
Dose he simply love the soldering life to much to quit?

So many questions come from that backstory, i love it.

It's cliche because it's archetypical, it's archetypical because it's true.

Talk to a veteran soldier at some point, after sorting through the cooks or supply guys. Or read a history.

War is fast-paced, complex and simple all at once. It rewards luck, skill, and teamwork; it punishes the weak.

But most of all, it matters. In civilian life, it's often possible to BS your way out of something. Nothing ends the game for real.

With war, you are experiencing an ontologically privileged process. No sophism can surpass a bullet, no code delivers such consequence. There is no last minute meta or snark to wink at the screen. War is science distilled down to the layman's level and amplified to the final end. Either you live, or you die.

Tack on some money, and a solid ~5% or so of Anglo men will jump on that shit.

A few ideas

>tribal culture where this way of life is all they've known, slowly come to question this way of life as the campaign goes on
>devotee to a cult of some minor, almost forgotten God where they idolize bloodshed to the point of being both barbaric, but sort of machine-like in their efficiency
>bounty hunter who was at first reluctant to take up their work, but couldn't quit due to how well it payed, developing a sort of stockholm with violence, where it's ultimately their captor, but they love it for what it has provided for them

Prizefighter.

I fukken love Moon Knight.
Conan seems like a good fit.
Conan's not really edgy. He enjoys the thrill of battle, and takes satisfaction in the deaths of his more hated foes, but he's not a sicko who gets off on death for death's sake.
Also, Conan likes fighting and the life of adventure the most, but he still enjoys other things. A good drink, a good meal, a feisty wench, these are all things Conan loves too. Basically, don't make him a broken creep who *can't* enjoy anything besides violence, just a true adventurer who loves combat.
This guy's great too.

What's this even from?

My current character loves violence because she was addicted to violent cartoons and movies.

That comparison is terrible. An orgasm doesn't mean you can't have sex with the person again.

As the servant to someone actually trying to accomplish something good

Being pragmatic is better. To be the king you've got to kill anyone in your way. The greatest feeling will be the satisfaction that you there are no more fights left to fight, becuase no one can touch you. Only than can you be happy

Maybe he does it because he appreciates the cycle of life? Perhaps he sees himself as less than a person, and by fighting and killing he becomes "transcendent" and feels "real", kinda touching on what said. Maybe the character has issues with control and this is the only way he feels like he can control what's going on in his life? Maybe he's coping with the deaths of loved ones, and the loss of them has mortified him to the point that death is incomprehensible and the only way to understand it is to kill. Justifying the love for killing is the hardest part. Somehow, killing in particular has to open up a part of them or reveal something in their character about their personal beliefs.

I'm seeing a lot of good ideas here.
One idea that I have is that your character is in denial about his love of violence.
For example, he joins some kind of cause (freedom fighters, crusaders, police force, etc.) and tells himself that he's doing it for the right reasons. But anytime he gets into a scenario where he has to use force, he flies off the handle and goes a little too far.
I think that the internal conflict could make for some interesting rp opportunities

Make sure to include likes other than killing and fighting.

>I don't fight for good, and I don't fight for evil!
>I JUST FIGHT!

Make an emphasis on adrenaline seeking, not just murder.

Sauce?

>fights with absolute intensity, willing to kill or die in any bout
>bows out and concedes defeat ahould an opponent have the skill to even land a debiliting blow or cause injury
>knows full well he could fight on, could likely stay standing to most opponents wailing on him until they're too exhausted to move their arms
Gouki a best.

It's been mentioned a bit, but I'll put in my vote.
Especially if he's a noble or a modern-day citizen, he might appreciate war not for the typical edginess of killing, but because it makes life feel important and worth living.
It makes it feel like you're taking responsibility for your own life and those of others, and that your abilities are truly being put to the test.
People who don't suffer "enough" become bored, disillusioned and sometimes depressed. Every day is the same, you never get an opportunity to shine, and it feels like your life is just going to drag on for ages of vague discomfort before you die alone, without even any heroic deeds to your name.
War gives meaning for these people. It strips away pride and hubris, because you live and die on your own virtues. It takes away the enervating complexity of a complex but fruitless everyday life, allowing you to focus on the guy in front of you and know that all you have to do is make sure he isn't moving.

As another possible reason, killing is a taboo in almost every culture. The more taboo killing is, the more you get laws and norms that complicate solving an issue because you don't want it to end up in a blood feud - and people in these kinds of societies can quickly end up feeling tangled up and pulled down by the law and prevailing norms. When you finally find out you can kill this guy and take his shit, it's like you've learnt magic. It gives confidence and will to live to decide "I'm going to kill this guy and take his shit", and then going ahead and doing it and no one can oppose you.

Global Frequency Issue 3

I need to read more of this comic. What little I have read is godlike.

A knight who wants to prove himself and hone his skill to perfection by challenging and fighting worthy enemies on equal grounds.
He's very noble and would hate to have an advantage on the fight, any at all. If the enemy started the fight hurt, he would hurt himself in a similar manner to equal the playing field. If the enemy lacks a shield, he will toss his own aside.
Yet, he never sees anything as unfair against him. It just adds to the challenge, a worthy trial on his path. And he's always looking for his next foe, his next chance to prove himself and get better and worthier. The only problem is that his honor dictates that all combat is to the death, and should his foe manage to live after it, it means that it was a draw, and a rematch is to be issued, lest the honor of both be tarnished.

>how can I play an edgy, boring and cliche character without being edgy, boring and cliche?

>hehe Israel dindunuffin even when they do ;)
fuck USA

so a generic paladin

Your generic paladins are very different from the ones I know, it seems

Had great success with a warforged crusader/warblade inna short campaign. Literally roleplayed him as a killing machine, strictly lawful neutral and guided by preprogrammed logic. Was autistically honest all the time, and maintained an odometer- a kill counter since activation. It went up by 47 when the party encountered a tower full of death cultists.

the better question is how to play a warrior who hates his job but has to do it anyway

Reinhardt

Don't do the whole "laughing/singing/etc" thing while murdering people, just be upbeat, happy and positive when the character gets what he wants.

Then slowly lose that joyfulness, get a bleaker outlook on life etc etc as time goes on, then he gets to live once more and the circle starts again.

Really normal and friendly to the point of being somewhat boring. Doesnt party or anything and just relaxes in big social gatherings. In combat laughs and is totally fearless, jumping off buildings and shit to get flanks and kills

Also enjoys combat like chad enjoys game night

>In combat laughs
could you make him any more anime? Faggot

>You made a promise to be the best fighter in the world.
>Usually happens that people die when they fight hard enough.

>who genuinely loves fighting and killing more than anything

So you'd play as a terrier?

Maybe he doesn't enjoy fighting and killing itself that much, he just loves to put himself in harm's way? Maybe he's a bastard and he feels he has no place in the world, and thus wants to die, but he's too much of a natural fighter and too honorable to just straight up kill himself. Instead, he seeks to find a battle in an effort to die and leave an honorable legacy behind.

What about a cute tomboy who refused to settle down for a weak guy and decided to marry a man that can best her in a fight? Couldn't find anyone suitable in her home town, in the capital, in a neighbouring country, always looking for a strong men but usually disappointed in the reality... and in her husband hunt realized she fell in love with fighting itself. Or is a quest for god of war's D cliche? If it is, she can always train a promising shota to be her future husband, like pic related.

settle down with the magical realm there bud

FRESH HORSES!

>it's magical realm to want to marry a powerful guy
Some weakling hates celtic history and mythology, huh? Don't worry the strong redheads protect their weak men.

TBF that one is both historical-ish (roman description of bodica) and pop culture by way of 70's red sonja. Little too high profile to qualify as MR.

yeah i know i just wanted to take a jab at him to see how he'd respond

>he
Well, are you satisfied with the response? It's pity that the nu-fa/tg/uys can't handle happy warrior women.

Fair. Come to think of it Red Sonja is actually decent answer to the OP's question. Sometimes you just have to fight, fuck and/or party your way through every situation that crosses your path in a vain attempt to fill that void in your chest where a soul should be. Is that edgy? Not if you look cool enough doing it.

Why would they take away his sexfeel from killing just to give him a wire that simulates it?

youtu.be/-BrFWHXbttM?t=80

1:20

My favorite example.

>sniping is a good job

I'm getting too old for this kiddie shit

>*The one who stands in the end is righteous!*
>Dies

Short haired chick in pic related might give you some inspiration.
She is basically a sword-fighting otaku, she has other thing she likes and cares about but whenever the topic of sword-fighting, and martial arts and fighting styles etc comes up, she gets really animated and enthusiastically starts grilling people about it and then obviously she actually fights as well whuch she enjoys and wants to do as much as possible. She also spends a lot of her spare time sparring with the spirit of her sword inside her mind

All in all, she has a very pure-hearted interest in fighting and aspires towards being the best/acquiring as high a mastery in it as possible with a bit of an academic/technical bent in the way that she does it. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a justification for why your character feels similarly just with killing slapped on top.

he said not boring or cliche

There it is. Why wasn't this the first post?

Warrior culture striving for martial excellence either for their god or culture, high functioning sociopath, sadist who knows how to keep his junk in his pants, or a student of war who's trying to find for himself the best ways to fight.

>Sometimes you gotta kill something but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with it. Don't got to do it in hate, or bloodthirst, or whathaveyou. When you beat someone in chess, you don't revel in their loss. Only a hateful soul does that. I believe a good person would enjoy having won, and how they achieved that victory over their opponent. That's more important; becoming better at your art. Many conflicts are like this; sports, boxing, games, but duels and the hunt can be as well. Always treat your opponent with respect, unless you want to fight monsters of your own creation. Be a pleasure to fight, and embrace brotherhood through blood.

sounds orky

You could take the "mad max" route.

The only time you everything makes sense and is clear to you is when you are fighting, the world makes sense during these brief periods. They are the only times when you escape your own thoughts.

I mean it's hard to do this kind of thing and not be a little bit of edgy but at least with this mentality you come off as psychologically damaged rather than edgy murder hobo.

which Mad Max are we talking about?

so that's where my favorite edit came from

Augus was literally the best part of that entire movie.

>inb4 game
No it was a movie that you occasionally input commands into