You have points left over, what throw away "useless" skill do you put them in?

You have points left over, what throw away "useless" skill do you put them in?
I like putting points into Cooking if that's a skill. Gambling is a fun choice too.

I review the whole build to see where I fucked up.

I usually save 'em if it's a system where we'll accumulate more points in the near future. I'm more of a roleplayer than a rollplayer so I don't mind being a little gimped out of the gate.

If I don't think the game will last long enough to accumulate enough more points to do anything useful, or it's not that kind of system, I go for cooking, gambling, or some kind of performance skill. Usually singing, possibly an instrument if singing doesn't seem to fit the character.

Different languages are always useful to know. I like to throw a few of those in if I can.

Cooking if it's Fantasy, if it's modern/Sci-Fi I dump it into knowledge(setting focus) and claim it's all opinionated garbage I got from an image board.
Current campaign is a Supers campaign, so I've constructed a HeroChan that is basically just Veeky Forums culture pasted over the setting. You've got the /anti/ board which is just absolute trash. At best it's full of edgelords, at worst it's petty criminals, but they all call themselves Anti-heroes. /tights/ is basically paparazzi cameltoe shots. Best board, and my home-board is /norm/, which discusses Badass /norm/als. Best screencaps, best news discussions, best memes.

There is no useless skills. I personally like having all my characters have some "quirk skill"

If I'm going to have some non game important character quirk I'm going to be good at it.

Arts & crafts.

The patrician choice. Everyone underestimates my pilot with A&C as his backup stat until I build a glider out of poster putty and dead squirrels and fly away laughing at the footsloggin plebeians.

>what throw away "useless" skill do you put them in?
Smithing. All three of my last characters have been smiths, never once in three campaigns had any opportunity to forge anything.

Some form of hobby or obsession like model trains, soap operas, or sewing. It may never realistically come up in a campaign but by god if it does I'm going to make the fullest use of it. The last cliche die on my Risus characters also invariably goes into some weird quirk or hobby.

I ask my players to have one skill in something which is a hobby

Adds character, and stems from the time a guy had Science: Botany in a CofD game and beat the big bad with it

As a chef, I love it when cooking elements are implemented in campaigns.
Dungeon meshi up in this nigga.

I usually take a music instrument and performance, even if I'm not playing a bardic character. Nice to be strumming on a lute while the party takes it's long rests, and one of these days ill use it like a distraction.

Cooking is a standby, but I like bartending of some sort, or brewing

Wood carving. Hand out little carvings of dragons to kids in whatever village you pass through.

You can't say that and not include story.

Swimming. You always take swimming, even if you don't think you'll need it. Especially if you don't think you'll need it.

in systems with skill setups like 3.5 and PF i always give my players points that are extra and free but can only be spent on profession, craft, or perform, to represent their life before adventuring. i'm a forever GM so i never get to put points in skills, if i could then siege engineer or soldier. when i was young and other people ran game i played a warrior who worshiped a goddess of life, he was a midwife.

>/mage/ is a niche board no one cares about
Feels like the hoary hrosts of Hrothgar, man...

>You have points left over, what throw away "useless" skill do you put them in?

Music - Harmonica.

You're gonna end up in a jail cell at some point.

>There is no useless skills.
One of the splats for Rolemaster had the skill group Meditation. It had a subskill: Death. You could put points to a skill that had the only purpose of killing your character if you succeeeded in the test. Please tell me how Meditation::Death wasn't a useless skill?

It's fucking niche, but it'd be handy if you were captured and had to basically cyanide pill yourself to avoid being interrogated.

>taken captive by bad guys
>going to be tortured to death in the coming hours
>"Hah ha, jokes on you fuckers, I can just will myself to death and deprive you assholes of the satisfaction!"

That or this

I'm not too familiar with the system but it'd be pretty fucking kekworthy if you got into some body swapping shenanigans too. Or you were a flatliners type character that relied on going to a near death state to do their thing.

Heraldry, so we can have the best flags and banners.

> You have points left over, what throw away "useless" skill do you put them in?
Oh, some combat skills I guess.

At that point why not just put them into:

Music - whiskey jug

Music - Vuvuzela

Music- Accordian

>tights/ is basically paparazzi cameltoe shots.
Part of me wants to argue that such a board would be pretty fucking egalitarian about all the paparazzi shots

But that just might be my collective headcanon of all things super basically the entire super community incestous as fuck as banging normals is usually a shit idea and supers are basically some dinky percentage of the population to begin with and this means that they have far fewer fucks to give about who anyone bangs or what they are.

Well, actually, the setting is what happened when my GM read Wurm, and decided he liked 70% of the Worldbuilding and 20% of the story, and decided he could do better in a Supers campaign. The past six months worth of sessions are the result.
Magic doesn't exist, because all powers are caused by extreme trauma triggering something in the host and causing powers, usually the powers are based on a combination of the traumatic event and the user's personality.
My character is Grayson Richards(Yes, that is a Dick joke) AKA Silver "Silly" Putty. He's an amorphous silver slime-man that can absorb kinetic energy and temporariky turn it into physical strength and defense. He's the team's Utility Tank.

A friend of mine basically always takes cooking when given the choice.

Current character is a wood elf monk who, just as a side thing, really loves to cook. They got a magic soup pot that cooks Stone Soup (a tasteless but filling gruel) out of twigs and stones and every time the party stops for food they crack out the soup pot and he does everything in his power to make it tastier.

It's fun to give them bonuses depending on how nice the food was. A pinch of bonus HP, stuff like that. I reckon he'd do it anyway - guy's always trying to get me to cook stuff IRL not for him, for myself. We live on opposite sides of the world.

Usually herbalism-like skills.

I had craft: clocks

It came up once in game where a nobleman's pocket watch had stopped and I fixed it thus gaining some information from him.

Depends on character.

fpwp

In both of these scenarios it would simpler, faster, more certain and save on skill points to fall on your sword or hang yourself.

Papercraft, so I can make myself some /po/wer armor when I'm bored.