Hero's edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
Tell us about the time you were heros.

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/wolfgang-baur-and-meagan-maricle
youtube.com/watch?v=r93sKXCvXQ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Tell us about the time you were heros.
yeah, my group is not really the heroic type, we're more like the cast of Slayers, saving the city by blowing it up and what not.

I might have the chance to DM for 4 completely newbies (never played a TTRPG before).
Whilst I have DMed a before, it's only been within my normal group to give our regular DM a break.
So, I've never DMed a full campaign, more like one-shots and some standalone quests that lasted no more than 3 sessions.

I'm thinking of buying and running Lost Mines of Phandelver as I've heard good things.
Seems it can can link up to storm kings thunder if needed. Is that worth pursuing if all goes well?
I'll probably use milestone levelling since I don't want to track xp.

Since these guys are complete newbies, what are some of the more beginner friendly race/class/background combos?
Which would be the best spellcaster class for complete beginners?
Also if anyone wants to go ranger I'll probably use revised ranger but try and steer them toward hunter conclave for simplicity.
Let's also make the assumption that they won't really be checking their sheets much outside the session.

Any other tips for dealing with complete newbies?
Any advice for running the Starter Set?

First for Revised Ranger deserves an official release.

>Tell us about the time you were heros
I heroically killed myself to get out of a game with a shit GM

They actually would have preferred to use the UA Revised Ranger, but they couldn't add it in XGE, as that would make XGE a requirement to actually play the game.
They're apparently going to 'officially' release it later, but as the equivalent of a pseudo-errata or something. One that's free and anyone can access.

This happens everytime, New Thread new Attempt.

Yo! My DM is giving us 2 free feats to start the our campaign. We're Starting at level 7. I'm a Half-Elf Bardlock. War3/Barx. We rolled for stats I have only 2 odd stats. Int and Str. I already took war caster for one and I was thinking Investigator to get Expertise and bring my Int to 14 but that seems dumb. Any ideas for good feats?

>Thread question
There's the time we stopped a fort from being overrun by undead. Other than that we were pretty much shitbags.

No, they stated they are not releasing it citing people being confused or some bullshit amounting to "no one liked our Lore Wizard, so you don't get nice things until we figure out a way to trick you into liking it!"

Someone give me some decent Cavalier multiclass builds that aren't just 'generic tank martial'. Try to keep it below level 8 or so. I like the early-midgame more as most campaigns never get past level 11, and I feel that your early choices matter far more than your later ones.

I'm trying to get ideas and shit. I've tried theorycrafting some builds with a Booming Blade/Warcaster Cavalier that instantly tells people to fuck off if they try to leave his mark range, but I'm looking for other ideas, too.

I don't care about builds doing the absolute top DPS. If I wanted that, I'd just play cookie cutter shit. I want to see fun concepts.

>Lost Mines of Phandelver

the green dragon encounter might wipe the party depending on the rolls

Unless their position has changed again, RR isn't getting a release. We might get a BeastMaster redo like Champion got Brute, but the full class caused too much "confusion" among players (read: Crawford would kill himself before he admitted a mistake).

[citation needed]
They definitely said they had plans to release it in some other, official form, but I haven't seen anything related to them deciding against it.

Have you tried making an interesting character instead of a statblock?

If you mean via RP, I add RP after I make the character. Statblocks are the entire basis of this game and theorycrafting before a game is far more important to me than RP. I like character concepts that I'll enjoy playing for a lengthy period of time. I couldn't stand playing an absolutely shit character just because I felt it needed to be unoptimized so I can RP.

Citation given.
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/wolfgang-baur-and-meagan-maricle
27:00 and again at 29:00 are the important parts. I'm sorry user.

Hell, the Necromancer and his dozen zombies can tpk a party if they keep making Undead Fort saves

>tfw nobody even remembers Slayers anymore
Lina was so hot.

I pulled a tpk (knocked out) on the first encounter against 4 goblins.

The players didn't hit anything for 3 rounds.

man I had one campaign, literally every city we left was either on fire or a massive crater. God that was a fantastic campaign.

Had to do the first pvp I have ever done in a DnD game yesterday.

>Playing a lvl 13 dragonborn noble (using the background feature for knight so I could have servants)
>My servants are from a clan of kobolds that have served my family for generations
>I have been giving each of them 1g a week for their service as well as the occasional bonus while also paying for their rooms and food
>Kobolds came up to me and tell me that our rogue stole all of the wages they had been hoarding
>The rogue has been a chaotic stupid shit for a while and the entire party is tired of it
>We confront him and the cleric makes him answer in a zone of truth and he admits to doing it
>I immediately cast forcecage so he cant run and demand he return the money plus an additional 30 gold to pay them for their trouble
>Its a piddly amount compared to what we have but I was trying to make a point
>Rogue refuses and says he will kill my servants for ratting him out
>Finally fed up with his shit I cast wall of fire just outside the forcecage with the damaging side facing in
>Cook his character alive while the rest of the party just stands there
>None of them try to stop me
Its a weird feel and I know I pissed the dude off. He really couldn't say much because he already (secretly) tried to kill one of the other pc's after an argument and failed so badly that we never realized it was him IC.

>Heroes
Hahaaaa
OP, I will admit, in the end things work out for the better. But for now, that village being pillaged by the BBEGs army is useless to us and right now we need to run away to find a McGuffin

I can't decide what my second arcane invocation should be for a fairly basic well meaning, noble guy bad weapon hexblade.
I'm thinking Eldritch sight because that sounds super fun, but that seems mean to my GM and not fitting to the character.

I'm running in a game of CoS, if it matters.

Nice work

doing god's work, user.

It's a player's responsibility to make their character work in the party. That player clearly didn't want to, so killing him was the only way it could end other than OOC arguments.

>beginner friendly race/class/background combos
Starter set has some premades that are pretty point-and-click. Maybe make a half-orc barbarian one for them too if there's a guy who literally just wants to fight and be tough.

>best caster for complete beginners?
Cleric. Decent AC, access to healing spells, and no need to actually pick a small pool of spells known, which can lead to new players second guessing and feeling shitty if they pick a "bad" spell.

More people need to play Elves.

>I cast wall of fire just outside the forcecage with the damaging side facing in
I know that this rogue was a shitter but even still I would never allow this.

Why not? I chose the forcecage to be a cage instead of a solid wall when I cast it. So heat would easily go through the "bars"

youtube.com/watch?v=r93sKXCvXQ4
>sections on dwarves, gnomes and halflings
Does this mean we're getting more subraces?

No? Nothing they've said has even hinted at new subclasses. It's lore + races + NPCs, just like VGM.

Less attention needs to be given to Elves. They get new subraces, super strong feats, A WHOLE FUCKING SUBCLASS TO THEMSELVES...
Where's the love for dwarves?

>One side of the wall, selected by you when you cast this spell, deals 5d8 fire damage to each creature that ends its turn within 10 feet of that side or inside the wall. A creature takes the same damage when it enters the wall for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there. The other side of the wall deals no damage.
It checks out though.

Only if we learn about how Gnomes are naturally genderfluid, and change orientations and even sexes as they age.

Oh that makes more sense. I forgot it could be a cage too.

Get lifedrinker, then get Armor of Shadows.Level 5 get thirsting blade

>Super strong feats
Which ones? And what’s this about a subclass?

Do a one shot first.

This is fine, what are you on about

We're getting more elf subraces.

forcecage is never fine desu

>12th level
uh
we're starting at level 3 m8.

My DM has given me a magic item that can increase the DC of a spell by 2 as a bonus action before casting, he runs a very combat-heavy campaign and we've nearly died countless times before so I intend to put the item to good use. I was thinking of either taking sleet storm or hypnotic pattern for maximum cohesion with the ability but which is better?

Elven Accuracy and Bladesinger, I assume

Meant to say races, my bad
On top of the elves, we already knew about that. If it's like Volo's it would have a ton character race options

One more try, how powerful would an item that allows you to take multiple reactions be?

>Headband of Readiness
>This headband has 3 charges, and it regains 1d3 charges at dawn. You can take an additional reaction each turn at the cost of 1 charge. You can only use one reaction per trigger.

What seems like a reasonable level to give this out at?

>subclass
This is why official settings are for fags due to the character creation restrictions

>Wut about dorves?
No. Only Tieflings

AUTHORS NOTE:
If the character lives to lvl7 I'm getting evards tentacles to use with the item.
>DC 17 to avoid being restrained, takes an action to make the save.
It should be very strong and tip the action economy in our favor.

As far as I know it's just touch-ups Greyhawk lore for the core races (except human) and Duergar, Elf subraces, and Tiefling subraces.
Oh and Gith.

>mfw I forget lifedrinker is 12th level
Fuck me, just get Eldritch Smite then

If you're a Hexblade you're using XGE, so use Improved Pact Weapon and get slap people with SCAG cantrips
Unless you're not Pact of the Blade, in which case use Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight + Darkness

Dumb question, do you add a Spell attack bonus to the damage roll of spells that deal damage like you would with a weapon attack?

>Going Hexblade but not taking Pact of the Blade

All the hexblade features go better with EB than they do with any weapon.

I am literally looking at the PHB right now fuck wit
This would seem to suggest you don't add spell attack to damage, yes? But I'm not sure, so I'm asking a fucking question.

So DMs if a class/subclass required you to have a certain weapon or item on your person to utilize any of your features how often would you try and take it away from the player?

>Pact of the Blade weapon gets taken away
>Warlock is now without Pact of the Blade features

That doesn't seem too broken. I'm sure there's some potential shenanigans, though. I'd say after level 5 would be fine.

Can't they summon a new weapon? Unless for whatever reason they made an existing magic weapon their pact weapon.
Warlocks with Pact of Tome can also be fucked over because they need the book on hand to use spells from it. Poor warlocks man

But to answer your question, almost never unless it was for a plot hook. Might as well just tell them not to turn up to a session if I'm just randomly going to take away most of their power.

>Hey guys come play D&D
>Ok, now that your here, you cant do shit. Everything you just did with all your cool spells and stuff, it doesnt work anymore.
>Im such a creative and great DM

"A spell tells you which dice to roll for damage and whether to add any modifiers."

That translates to the spell has what you need and if it doesn't say add modifiers then you don't. There are various features that let you add your spellcasting stat modifier to certain spells however, like agonizing blast.

Okay, thank you

>But to answer your question, almost never unless it was a plot hook.
Agreed! Though most of the time say a creature has some type of disarming feature or ability to rip off weapons from people (Like the Kuo-toa), it would be unavoidable in those moments, right? It won't happen all the time, but it would be cool to see how a player could adapt.

Disarmed in combat is fair game, especially as that comes with a saving throw doesn't it?

Six months of running one-shots. Six months of planning with weirdos and randos, and now I'm finally on the verge of establishing a regular group. It's so close I can almos touch it... please der dice-god, just give me a regular group.

The rogue sounds like a total dipshit. You should be proud for putting him in his place. When a group of people sit down to play a game its with the understanding that they're all there to have fun. Not entertain one sperglord who wants to fuck around and piss people off.

Now kick him out of the gaming group.

Devil's Sight is objectively the best PHB invocation

Doesn't pact blade literally come back to your hand with an action tho?

>So DMs if a class/subclass required you to have a certain weapon or item on your person to utilize any of your features how often would you try and take it away from the player?
Sometimes but not too often. However TRY is the keyword here.
If you are trying to take things away, it has to make sense in the broader narrative or to drive plot hooks.
Don't take things away to deliberately deprive a player of abilities.

Wizard's are known to have spell books and bard's have instruments. These are ripe to be targets of theft.
Beast companions, familiars and mounts are a good way for villains to threaten players.

Who are your potential players?

Not him but:
Against DC10 enemy
Level 5 Hexblade with greatsword, GWM (Vuman), Improved Pact Weapon, 18 Str (can't CHA gish with 2-hand)
4d6 + (3x2 (Hexblade Hex)) + 20 ((GWM x2)) + (1x2 (Improved Pact Weapon x2)) + ((4x2) Cha mod x2)
= (50 x 0.65)
= 32.5

Level 5 Hexblade using Eldritch Blast, 18 Cha
2d10 + ((3x2) Hexblade Hex) + ((4x2) Agonizing Blast)
= (25 x 0.85)
= 21.25

Am I missing something? It's not like there's anything stopping a Hexblade from using EB when they need ranged options, and they still do all the Warlock stuff otherwise. If you're meaning EB with Sorc, then Hexblade can take Sorc 2 and start Twinning/Quickening SCAG cantrips and still outdps

I think yes but only if they put it in a different dimension to begin with, i don't think they can shift it at will and at a distance

Reminder that it's the only dark-vision that lets you see color in darkness.

Not sure when this will EVER be relevant, but it's a neat little tidbit.

People I've met through my one-shots. The ones were weren't crazy and that I'd like to play with regularly. It's been a long process. Most of my regular friends aren't super into ttrpgs.

Any qt grills?

Yep!

This meme is quite silly, the Fighter could also action surge, second wind for healing, and even pick up a heavy weapon for GWM. Hexblades are pretty cool and all, but Battle Master Fighters got a lot going on as well.

Yeah, it was just a hypothetical thing, I could not think of an official class or subclass that has ties to a specific weapon without just being able to teleport it back to you.

I like shenanigans! I can't think of any though... Sentinel maybe? Shield and Absorb Elements are also good, but you can't stack 2 shields/2 Absorb Elements.

And then the four 'good' strangers you picked up and threw together end up hating each other

>meme
>silly
WOAH

>pic related

Hypnotic Pattern is better of the two

As has been pointed out, the starter set comes with pre-made characters. I used them for my LMoP group with newbies. It worked really well, not least because they all have personalities and specific motivations and goals. Make it easy for yourself and just use them.

Also, depending on how retarded the players are (they're probably very retarded) consider buying those spell cards so players (especially wizard and caster) know *exactly* what they can do reach round. You wouldn't fucking believe the amount of time I spent looking through my PHB because people just don't retain any information and forget what they can do, what they need to roll etc. It was a nightmare. If they are totally new, they will expect you to hold their hand so much, and unless you're ready for it, it might be exasperating.

LMoP is great, and there's lots of advice on running it out there. Definitely use milestone xp; fuck actually tracking that shit. Also, LMoP is shitty with the money; there's lots of details like "Party gains 10 gold, 3 silver, 60 copper", but there's never anywhere for the party to actually use the money. Consider giving them some options so gold doesn't seem worthless.

thanks, and does sleet storm require a concentration save every round that a person is inside or just the first, or when they enter?

Several of them have met before through my numerous one-shots, but yeah, who knows how a real group will turn out...

Actually I just realized he gave you a +2 DC item and you're not even level 7 yet
I think your GM's retarded and doesn't know what he just did. +2 DC is actually insane due to how much slower DC raises than to-hit

If you mean the part about the enemy losing concentration, based on wording and the fact it's separated from the previous paragraph, it seems to only happen when you initially cast it, whereas everything else is each turn

I've met grills in my one-shots, but never any cute ones.

>LMoP is shitty with the money
I've let my group get pretty much anything they want out of the PHB at the Lionshield Coster in town, but they don't seem interested in shopping.

>DM is crazy
I know right? He's given every martial a magic weapon and already given the warlock a rod of pact keep, I was the last person to get something at level 4 but we've just hit level 5 and I'm deciding my spells. His encounters are pretty hard to compensate.
>once per cast
fuck. I wanted to be a no-fun antimage. hypnotic pattern it is.

>Implying I dont play Tiefling GOO blastlock with Eyes of the Rune Keeper exploits just to piss off my DM sometimes

Not that guy, but adding GWM to the equation while also assuming that both attacks are going to hit seems like purposefully skewing the results.

Also keep in mind that you added a feat to one and not the other.

I included the accuracy in each calculation while factoring GWM. GWM had a 65% chance to hit (the +1 from Improved Pact Weapon reducing the -5 to -4), the Eldritch Blaster had an 85% chance to hit.

This isn't any feat that necessarily improves Eldritch Blasters in terms of damage. There's some utility mage options, but it won't even come close to changing the overall results, but if you're going with a greatsword there's no reason not to have GWM, especially as a Vuman.

I should also point out that even if I didn't use GWM, the melee still does 27 damage post accuracy (90% chance to hit), which is still higher than the EB

Almost every session. I mean shit man. We're saving the country from demonic incursion one place at a time, gaining allies along the way.

True, but one should note that while you reached the max number of melee attacks a warlock can get, eldritch blast still has quite the room to grow (Double from that point on). I also doubt a full beam twinned EB would get beat out by most anything else, but then again I haven't run any numbers.

I'm also pretty sure the guy didn't ever state he was going human, or v human at that.

Are you calculating how Great Weapon Master works against AC 10??

You can't actually Twin EB once you hit level 5 as it now has multiple targets, just Scorching Ray. Even then, a melee Hexblade can twin Booming Blade and Quicken Booming Blade, whereas EB can only Quicken EB. It ends up with 3 GWM procs, albeit only two on the same target.
The only level where EB might actively outdo a GWM melee Hexblade, though I'm too lazy to do more calcs right now, would be level 10 - 11, before the melee can get Thirsting Blade, which would put him back in the lead if he wasn't already. Going a step further, as EB scales, so do the SCAG cantrips, which means the melee is scaling a lot harder with Sorc. Also, keep in mind that GWM gives bonus action attacks 10% of the time via 19 - 20 crits from Hexblade's Hex, even if neither is going into Sorc, so even there is any significant difference at 10 - 11, this evens it out.

I assumed Vuman because it's generally the best for DPS comparisons.
Also keep in mind that GWM gives bonus action attacks 10% of the time with the Hexblade Hex or on kills.

Yes. Against an AC10 target, with melee having a default +8 to hit (+1 from Improved Pact Weapon), and EB having a +7, GWM ends up with a 65% chance to hit and EB ends up at 85%, the damage is still in the melee's favour, though.

Didn't mean to include the GWM thing twice

PAM works better than GWM on Hexblade, actually. It's the on-hit damage bonus.

You need Sorc 3 for the metamagic, but if you're going that route then Sorc with a 2 level Hexblade dip works out better. Quickened Eldritch Blast is significantly stronger single-target damage, and less feat intensive if GWM is to be factored in, than smacking with the SCAG cantrips.

AC 10 is a bad target to run crunch against. IIRC the average MM AC is 16, which is a much more realistic number regarding the things you actually want to optimize against (tough encounters).