MTG Commander/EDH General

MLD and Stax Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
How do you murder lands? Do you ever get away with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-02-18-partner-tokens/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/crosis-grixis-good-stuff/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-tokens-featuring-rith/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I murder lands with genocide. Armageddon is the way and ain't no opponents talking shit if they can't retaliate. Sunder and Mana vortex are nice too.

I try to avoid doing MLD, but when someone brings a deck that just ramps lands, or abuse lands in some way, they are asking for it.

I once or twice mass bounced all lands. Nobody mare a big deal about it, it was fun and we started another game

So my ramp spell package for Xenagos is llanowar elves, elvish mystic, sakura tribe elder, farhaven elf, wood elves, farseek, nature's lore, kodamas reach, cultivate, and explosive vegetation plus sol ring, gruul signet, and commanders sphere.
Does that seem ok? Or should I cut some sorcery ramp for more dorks?

You see, bouncing lands is not as bad as destroying, since they can hold as much lands as they wish, but destroying means that if they don't have 2 or 3 lands on their hand, it means that it will take a good 6 or 7 turns until people starts doing relevant things again unless they are lucky.

Yea but im a dick so I bounce lands and force draws so they have to discard.

No Birds of Paradise?
I also prefer Skyshroud Claim to Explosive Vegetation, but you'd need to be running the mountain-forests for it to matter.

For Prossh, combo and aggro focus running food chain, would dorks serve better than spells like cultivate and kodama's reach?

>>Thread Question
>How do you murder lands? Do you ever get away with it?
it's not mld if they become creatures until end of turn

Nah, most of those ramp spells were just leftover from boosters and old decks.
BoP is on my list of cards to order tho, along with traverse the outlands and skyshroud claim (since I do run stomping grounds and sheltered thicket)

My group murders lands with Sylvan Primordial.
I'm not very happy about it.

>New untested deck, literally first time playing it
>”Friend” does nothing but counter all your stuff
>Literally does nothing to advance their own game plan
>Both of us lose
>Ask then why they did that
>”Dude I’ve seen your decks before. They’re crazy.”
>Ask him what his plan was to win against the other two players
>He has no answer

Seriously, I’m a little flattered you think I’m that good, but all you did was make it so neither of us was playing the game. Be more selective with your counters bro.

I wouldn't be either, considering that card is banned.

>How do you murder lands? Do you ever get away with it?
>implying you can play any to begin with

>explosive vegetation
worthless cut it for a fatty

We also have a couple of Prime Times and a Time Walk running around.

I want to build a Balance deck but "that cards banned".

What is a fun battlecruiser commander?

I'd rather cut it for Birds or traverse, but what makes it so bad?

>but what makes it so bad?
4 mana ramp spell
its bad because you pretty much need to ramp into ramp to make it worth while

>fun
>battlecruiser
Choose one

Eh, as much as I like the dragons, most of them are either borderline unplayable or just get nuked the moment you try anything

The Ur-Dragon's become my favorite in recent months.
Dragons start comin' and they don't stop comin'.

It's a strictly worse Skyshroud Claim unless you have literally no dual lands with land types

Ur-Dragon is pretty busted
>let me drop this Thundermaw Hellkite on turn 2

just bought this because I needed something like this in my EDH.

Surprised that it was only 5 dollars.

>borderline unplayable or just get nuked the moment you try anything
what the fuck do you think battlecruiser means, sonny?

>force draw
That is not so bad. At least not as bad as bouncing their lands and then wheeling.

Ohhhhhhhhh makes sense.
So is traverse the outlands bad? Or just a different scenario
I have a stomping grounds and cinder glade

I mean it's the fact that you have to pay a minimum of 9 mana to get anything worthwhile out of them and then it's usually a pretty shitty effect.
There are much better things to spend 9 mana on.

Then run Skyshroud Claim instead if you can. It also lets you get the lands untapped so you can cast another spell too.

>minimum of 9 mana
no
you get a 6/6 flier for 6 mana minimum
and its not like that 9 mana needs to be on the same turn, these guys are actually pretty good, though casual for sure.

>tfw when my meta is battlecruiser but it's mostly one guy doing all the politics and winning every time

>no Hour of Promise or Skyshroud Claim
>commander's sphere instead of the RG Talisman
Do you even ramp?

man i miss the days when this was my meta
i got labeled as the guy who needed to die first by one guy for no rational reason so it was fun being the defacto archenemy most games
the guy who said i needed to die first most games won like 75% of the time too
we caught on after an embarrassingly long time but that was some of the most fun edh ive ever played

That doesn't really matter in EDH. The banlist should only be considered when dealing with pickup games with randos.

"No." Battlecruiser can be great fun.

>he doesn't use mana crypt and mox daimond

>he plays fast mana, aka the $100+ "if I get it in my opening hand I win" cards

Same here. But instead of needing to die they just fuck my shit up and leave me alive, and then when I mention being useless and not being able to win the guy who made me a target says that I don't believe in the heart of the cards and tried to nickname me scoop.

He pretty much controls the politics and I know its because my other friends think he knows what he's doing since he's played the most, I always kill him even if it defangs me, I'd rather see him lose then me win.

He's even said to me outside the game he doesn't get why they listen to him and I'm the only person he now considers a threat at the table.

the worst part is, I know it's not the worst it could be

When you have job that makes 6 fugues you can do such things.

*figures
damn auto correct.

Arbor elf is basically an extra mana or two each turn

Can someone explain to me the value of fetch lands and other fetch cards (ramp) in general?

What is the benefit of adding them in a deck versus just adding more land cards in their place?

>Thread Question
Recurring creatures like Avalanche Riders, Faultgrinder, Invader Parasite and Ravenous Baboons in Feldon.

Fetch lands let you fetch any land with either of the specified basic land types, and thus can allow for mana fixing.
ex. Flooded Strand can fetch you up a Plateau or Sacred Foundry if you're in RWU but missing a R mana at the moment.
Plus, mana ramp in general is good to have, especially in G, so that you can get to the meat of the game faster, rather than just sitting there playing "draw-land-pass" for 8 turns.

deck thinning and general mana fixing with dual lands/shock lands

Fetches are more used for color fixing or to shuffle your deck for effects like Scroll Rack and Top. If you just add more lands, it isn't going to help the problem of not always getting the color you want when you want it.

You can get a 6/6 flier for a lot less than than 6 mana with three different colors. And then you have to pay three mana every time you want to get the effect. My point is in almost any of those colors there's much better options for battlecruiser play than the dragon.

>there's much better options
>battlecruiser
just play narset then

>play a fetchland
>remove a card from your deck, meaning you're less likely to draw lands later in the game
>can get one of two colors the turn you play it
>if you run dual lands, a fetchland literally gets you any color of mana you need, even if the fetchland only has one of your colors (EG marsh flats in a Naya deck) since it can fetch any dual land that has one of the two land types on it
>enables Revolt
>gives you a way to shuffle your library if you need it
Meanwhile the disadvantages
>costs you 1 life
>can be pithing needled/stifled if your opponent is a retard

>using a shit mechanic like Revolt in EDH
>implying 1 life matters at all

There are a couple decent revolt cards in EDH and yes, 1 life doesn't matter at all, that was the point of the "cons" list.
The only real "con" of a fetchland is that they're shit if you have no fetchable lands left in your deck when you draw one but if that's the case you're either winning the game because you have a ton of lands out or you got MLD'd and are probably going to lose anyway

They're both still things worth addressing and there have been plenty of times where one life mattered in my games.

Thundermaw Hellkite is also probably my favorite combat trick in Ur-Dragon. They never see it coming.

>Literally retarded for not getting the point of the cons

>implying losing life is not a con

>wipes away spirit tokens
>makes all your creatures unblockable
>costs a measly 4 mana
>has haste
Thundermaw is fucking amazing in that deck.

>can be pithing needled/stifled if your opponent is a retard

The salt has never flowed as strong as turn 1 stifling a fetchland land since I went first.

>It was a Kaalia deck so seemed worth.

Not a gameplay con but it gets annoying having to constantly shuffle your deck

It is a pretty retard move to use an extremely powerful counterplay on mildly setting back one guy and making yourself his primary target for the rest of the game.

its also very helpful so the pro of shuffling your deck realllllly outweighs the con

Speaking of shuffling, Does anyone else's meta cut after every shuffle effect? My group does, and I don't mind it that much, but we certainly spend a lot of time reaching across the table to cut each other over the course of a night. I played at a game store once with strangers and they refused to cut my deck other than the first time for drawing a hand, so I know some people don't play that way.

My group doesn't cut if it isn't a tournament setting (which we always cut then), the logic being if you are cheating you are a piece of shit.

It all depends. Ever since I had to deal with a guy who stacked his deck with swamp, dark rit, entomb, and exhumed every game, I insist that someone has to touch your cards each shuffle. Fucker would draw his hand before we even had sat down

My group only cuts the deck if we suspect foul play. So basically we never cut decks except for the one guy who literally always tries to stack his deck if we don't shuffle it for him.

Cut once at start of game after shuffling before first hand

it's a habit for me to let someone cut my deck due to playing Legacy/Modern and the fact my friend who taught me Magic insists on it due to him dealing with cheaters in the past

I don't ask people to cut their decks as I have good faith in the people I play with

My whole playgroup has this problem. Games can go on for HOURS.

>Enjoy losing to interaction
>Enjoy losing to uninteraction
Being proud of your shit taste is really lame.

>$100
>Not buying chink fakes
>For commander

Pleb are gonna pleb

>Does anyone else's meta cut after every shuffle effect?
yes because this is an autoinclude in every blue deck in our meta
>tfw having 4-6 of them out isnt abnormal
>tfw we like tutors too much to care about it

>implying the problem is the cost and not the I win openers

>implying battlecruiser means craw wurm
My battlecruiser meta packs plenty of interaction. Winning by gradually building up value and swinging is some fun shit. Are you the kind of person that can only enjoy combo or stax?

Gishath is incredibly fun. All it takes is one successful swing and you’re way ahead. Going from two to three Dinosaur, then getting another 2-3 fatties is amazing. Especially when you can refill your board easily enough after a Wipe.

I mean, yeah, losing life on Ad Naus is still a con. Being a negligible con doesn't make it not a con.

>implying
My bitch Rith is un-casual.

>tfw I hit one dude twice and whiffed both times in a 35 creature deck
>the next time I only get 2 Dinos as I hit the guy for lethal commander damage
I just wanted some dinos

do you have a list?

>Rith
more like disappointing tokens

No, that situation is because Sol Ring/Mana Crypt is busted

I would at least name you Scoopy Doo

>mfw Gishath player Gishaths into Ghalta and Zetalpa in one swing

Wait, is the definition of battlecruiser just "games that aren't primarily won through combo or stax"?

I thought battlecruiser metas were "fuck spot removal, fuck board wipes, fuck card draw, fuck efficient ramp, I just want to make my own board huge and cast huge spells".

Any support you'd consider essential? I'd been considering making Gishath Enrage

not him but seriously you need warstorm surge and Pyrohemia

>Rith
>not turning pump spells into tokens instead
wew
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-02-18-partner-tokens/

Stifling a T1 fetch is not a retard move though.
Aid from the cowl, Fatal push and Hidden stockpile are all playable in EDH

>Fatal push
>edh
i dont even think the competitive guys are using that one
could be wrong but in another other meta its still a bad card

>spot removal in EDH

yeano

Crosis looks cool. Anyone play with him before?

yeah i play him as a CASUAL controlish deck hes devastating when he connects, less devastating than nicol obviously but you actually have a reasonable chance of casting him most games.
stay away from other discard cards because 9/10 crosis is enough.
this was my list a few years ago ive been tuning it, taking it apart, rebuilding it etc since then and atm I dont have a more stable version. the cmc is far too high but it gets the point of the deck across.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/crosis-grixis-good-stuff/

You take that back right fucking now.
I do, but to be fair, it's a pretty casual list. Somehow it stomps pretty usually in one of my LGSs I play in. Here's the list though.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-tokens-featuring-rith/
I was actually thinking of using partners, but instead with Sidar Kondo and Tana. However I like how Rith looks so I decided not to get rid of her.

>You take that back right fucking now
im sorry not all of us live in magical christmas land where your opponents have a billion perms and you still somehow connect with your 6/6 flier

Oh damn, it was just a creature, I forgot. It could see some play however in some metas.
>how to spot a retard
Close your mouth and keep it shut until you suffocate.

>yeano
imagine being this retarded