What is the absolute best horror setting?

What is the absolute best horror setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKTkCa5nB_8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Heavily depends on what you're going for and what frightens you and/or your players.

FPBP.

Why even have a board if every answer to every thread is gonna be "Depends on X, end of discussion"

Scorn looks promising
youtube.com/watch?v=BKTkCa5nB_8

being unsure if reality is reality for limbo/hell ala silent hill or stranded in deep space on a ship full of brutally torn apart humans by an unfamiliar enemy

Don't blame the answers if the questions are garbage.

Reality.

What type of horror are you going for?
Cosmic horror? Psychological horror? Body horror? Space Horror? Religious Horror?

The absolute best horror setting is self contained, so everyone knows you can't escape. The landscape is off. Not in a completely ridiculous way, but in a way that would be subtle if it didn't hit any uncanny valley. You have a feeling of powerlessness. even the mightiest amongst you can fall quite easily. Their life is trivial to whatever it is that haunts the area. All your lives are trivial. Except the horror acknowledges you. For whatever reason, you're next.

A very mundane one. You need to estabilish routine to break the expectations of familiarity

>give a vague question
>hurr why is the answer vague!?!

he's asking for opinions you fucking nigger

Asking for subjective opinions is not discussion, whereas asking that people EXPLAIN WHY they hold their stated opinions is a good convo starter, as it increases the odds that actual substance may enter the thread at some point.

HTH

Alien has the best A E S T H E T I C

Right behind you OP

>"what's your favorite color?"
>"IT DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE BECAUSE EVERYONE LIKES DIFFERENT COLORS"

fucking wonderful. I hope you're not as completely useless in real life as you are here, you dumb fuck.

Depends on the setting.

Any setting that can properly emulate the eeriness that was 1978's Halloween.

the World of Darkness

Personal/psychological horror (what have I become) - Vampire, Wraith, Hunter, Mage
Undefeatable enemies want to devour your soul, there is no escape - Vampire, Wraith
Paranoia - Vampire, Hunter, Mage

Cosmic horror - Werewolf

Surreal horror - Mage in the Umbra / Wraith

Space Horror - Mage in Deep Umbra

Religious Horror - Inquisitor/Hunter

Seriously World of Darkness hands down

Obligatory Real Life post.
Although personally I'm a fan of the horror segments of non-horror properties.

this, but also don't let them get to you. "Depends on the setting" is literally just a meme that retards think is a serious answer.

Reality

Then maybe he should have asked "What's your favorite horror setting?" instead of "What's the best?"

You mean he should've asked that subjective question, not this other subjective question that does exactly the same job, just in case some autists turned up and failed to communicate?

I really like Bloodborne as a horror setting. The subtle shift from werewolves and vampires to old ones and outer gods was done so well.

Looks to me that it's OP's fault if there's a failure to communicate.

My suggestion is to stop being a whiny bitch, accept constructive critisism, learn to shut up, and retry the thread later with an improved question.

I personally like the old New England or small town setting. A la Lovecraft Its versatile but needs to be set in fall or winter.

Your suggestions are all fucking retarded, cunt. How about you just fuck off out of the thread if you can't understand basic English OP used?

>A game in which you have no fear of death because you can infinitely respawn and, furthermore, you can always get strong enough to kill damn near anything
>Horror
I think it could be done, but Bloodborne as is would need some work to make it into horror rather than simply horrific. Insight could give some decent horror-of-the-self though.

You've actually made me picture a bunch of Deep Ones sunbathing in the middle of summer.

Re-read my post, bud. I said the SETTING. I didn't say the game.

Is that some Nosferatu's workspace? Looks like I would imagine it.

the 90's

thats when we had buffy, xfiles and shows like that.

But he didn't ask what was everyone's favorite. He asked for "the best".

the assumption is that people aren't profoundly autistic and will explain with more than a single answer. of fucking course you're supposed to explain, is he taking a poll?

this isn't an issue for neurotypicals, you know

Looks awful stuffy, especially if you let the computer run too long.

Guy that posted the second reponse here, I thought he was looking for a recommendation of a setting.

They could have responded what themes they'd like to explore or what kind of mnosters they liked.

I don't know man, if you ask a salesman to give you the best phone he'll give you a what he thinks is the best phone. We're not salespeople and don't want to sell you things.

Also what the best setting for horror is is subjective as fuck. It really depends on what kind of mood I'd like to evoke.

Do you like Gothic Horror? maybe go for Bloodborne?
Do you like existential horror? Read Thomas Ligotti's works.
etc...

Where do you think you are?

It may not be the best horror setting, but I love Forgotten Realms.

I love Forgotten Realms because almost nobody realizes that it IS a horror setting, not even the DMs who run games in it. They just read the campaign setting book and think "High Fantasy", but if you actually read the books by Ed Greenwood and other authors it's fucking monstrous. The entire universe serves as a power generator for Lord Ao, the overgod of that universe and many more. He won't ever let good triumph over evil or vice versa because that would foul the mechanism of power generation, nothing can ever have meaning because he won't let you change anything. People spend their whole lives thinking they'll have eternal life in one of the heavens if they're good, but everyone gets mindwiped upon death and the good deities lie to their follows via omission by not telling them this. If you choose not to worship any god your soul gets welded into a wall that's used to keep outsiders from entering the material plane of their own accord, it doesn't matter if you were a truly righteous person. The gods are slaves to their domains and Lord Ao.

Derelict space station with Shodan tier ai

next time just ask the question the in a way appropriate to how you want it answered you double nigger

It wasn't my question, you spasticated twat.

Deadspace's setting was very good aesthetically and concept wise. That being dark, and claustrophobia inducing spaces, tough and gruesome looking nightmare fuel for enemies with implication no one of any age was spared on the ship, the knowledge that there are "survivors", but they are not so numerous or clustered and pretty much all of them have gone beyond insane as to not allow you comfort by being around non infected. Top it with the realization that all the horror you're subject to was caused by a vastly more powerful and influential entity than you has taken up playing with forces even they can't handle which only serves to add to the gravity of the setting.

and then EA turns it into a soulless action shooter designed only to suck money out of your wallet

>spoiler
That's true horror.

Because Veeky Forums thinks they're smart but in reality aren't.
A high functioning intellect would see that question and answer it based on their experience and understanding, realizing that the question is meant to facilitate discussion.

There's a reason why 90% of the threads on this board generals or simple hentai fetishism. Veeky Forums's culture is rotting and it's members do nothing to help it.

>which type of horror is best?
>"well, what kind of horror are you looking for?"

Any place that happens to be under water.
Offline space stations or ships out of fuel.
Mangrove swamps.
Densly overgrown buildings, bonus points for poisonous and hallucinogenic flora.

So, 40k before went shit

Right now I'm in a phase where industrialized urban decay is creepy as hell. Jack the Ripper himself isn't nearly as frightening as the day-to-day cesspool Whitechapel itself was. Or hell, even current day Detroit. Places that exude a palpable sense of desperation and all the bad shit that comes with it just really unnerve me.

That or hoarders. I'm making a CoC that involves the Collyer brothers in Harlem because that mansion was intense.

The one in which the East Roman Empire fell to Islamic hordes.

Unironically my nightmares. Like being stalked by a shadowy banshee that alternates between humming some haunting tune behind me then screaming in my ear. Or seeing a bunch of tornadoes on the horizon, suddenly getting sucked into one, then going through hyperspace.

The weirdest part was that banshee one ended with her kissing me, but it felt really cold. Like "all the Altoids in the world"+"frozen corpse". And if you think I'm fibbing, I have my notes on the dream right here.

That was not OP's question you dingus.
OP asked what horror setting is "best", since there are so fucking many it helps to narrow down.

I'm a huge fan of the gloomy celtic setting of Shadows of Esteren, not saying it's the best. It's just very atmospheric.

New order of Barbarian

>>ACHSTUALLY
If I asked you for your two cents would you hand me a pair of pennies, Amelia Bodelia?

>This is commercial towing vehicle Nostromo out of the Solomons, registration number one-eight-oh-niner-two-four-six-oh-niner.

>The enigma tng
Man of culture detected.
One of my friends has horror nightmares too, the way he describes them make it sound like terraria in vr 16k, except I know he never played this game.

Where you never feel alone always gets me.

Space.

Stranger Things' upside down is pretty gnarly. Imagine sitting in your house one minute, give yourself a paper cut, and the next you're in a creepier version of your house, about to be eaten by an eldritch monstrosity.

Agreed. Very promising! I'm glad it hit it's kickstarter goal.

>the way he describes it makes it sound like Terraria vr 16k
This could mean a lot of things. Please explain.

One that hits every note in horror at some point in the setting.
From the horror of an infinite cosmos that doesn't care what happens to you, too dark and dingy space-stations filled with alien nightmares. Give the players and people within the setting a reason to be afraid, but never forget that little spark of hope.
It makes it all the worse when you snuff it out.

Because asking "the best" implicitly encourages people to defend WHY they think which horror setting is the best instead of "which is your favorite" which might lead people just to say "space" without explanation

I know Veeky Forums calls everything and everyone autistic but when you have to explain basic innate things about conversation I really start to wonder about anons here

Serious question, do you honestly think that OP was looking for answers like that? Do you think OP should be "punished" for asking the question incorrectly, or did you actually not understand OP's intent?

Please explain your opinion to me (I am looking for an explanation on your opinion)

When you are asking for the best, you are asking for the one of the objectively highest quality. However, this doesn't apply to subjective things.
He should instead ask what we regarded as the best, and simply asked why.

Because we have answered all of the " What is the X setting" questions before, debated them, fought passionately in flame wars that go now unremembered. Ultimately we have reached the point at which the only answer left is "Depends on X".
However if OP were to ask "what horror setting you find terrifying" or "What Horror games have scared your group". Such questions would garner difference answers however OP decided to ask an objective question on what is definitively the best horror setting. To answer that question we must ask ourselves what we fear and extrapolate from there. Leaving us with the answer of "depends on X"

Horror set in outer space works very well. Horror coming to Earth from outer space can also be very frightening.

>social interaction basics
>"that's fucking retarded"
the state of this website...

If I had to choose, I think Delta Green when played for horror has the perfect combination of helplessness, seeing as you are part of a conspiracy which is fucking the world up and dooming you while also being aware you are already doomed, and real world understandable threats (loved ones being targeted, assassination, blackmail, being framed) with all kinds of eldritch and gibberly goodness.

I say this with one crieteria; Delta Green if it is not used with the Cthulhu mythos. The Cthulhu mythos is too well known and too popular to really be scary anymore, you need something different like Laird Barron, Thomas Ligotti. Junji Itou, Franz Kafka or others to cast it through a new lens to make it fresh, horrifying and interesting.

Now to address your question. The BEST horror settings, in general, are horror settings that incorporate other emotions to add variety and flavour to them, so they do not become one note. The horror stories that tap most deeply into the public consciousness do so by attacking their beliefs at core levels (Lovecraft) or by mixing a palette of emotions (Meguca Peguca, MiA, NIER's more horrory bits, Noroi)

If you want a good horror setting, you need something which is not just constant doom and gloom but can allow pathos in the way of tragedy or things so horrible they are funny to add to the comedy of it all. Something so pitiful it's both tragic and horrifying or so terrifying you can't help but laugh at how awful it is.

Little Fears 1st ed could be worked like this, as could DG or Don't Rest Your Head. Nechronica less so, but it is possible. You really need to be more specific about the kind of horror though; corporate horror, american horror, gothic horror, j-horror, personal horror, existential? Splatterpunk, slasher, creature feature, philosophical?

Sounds like a poor knockoff of SH's fog and otherworld desu senpai.

There's something truly oppressive about that image. It's strangely disconcerting.

It's better down where it's wetter.

Fuck off culture critic I don't see you creating anything.

Kreia was right

>why do we discuss things in a conversation
>why don't these people treat opinion as fact

Don't worry user, I understand what you mean.

As it turns out an op asking a shitty question on an international board leads to spergs defending op, a well-known faggot. Faggots beget faggots

>op asks an objective question
>retarded user bitches about people treating it as objective instead of contributing
The worse horror setting is being stuck with Veeky Forums users anywhere

>misunderstands basic English
>subjectively the biggest autist in this thread
Contribute or fuck off

>A high functioning intellect
>I , an intellectual,
You're a meme kid

>doesn't understand objective versus subjective
>hurr durr you're all all autistic for not being as dumb as us
Shut up homo sex.

This! Veeky Forums is more interested in spouting pseudo-intellectual crap and shitty one-liners than actually participating in an actual discussion using a legitimate primer.

It's sad that if I were to ask "what's the best horror setting?" I'd get dozens of posts saying "Depends on X" but if I were to say "why is HP garbage?" I'd have a thread that reaches bump limit from people chiming in with their opinions on the best way to handle HP.

It's like you have to disguise your threads as bait just to get a good discussion going.

>Looks to me that it's OP's fault if there's a failure to communicate.
No, it's autists like you who need everything spelled out for you when most normal people would be able to read between the lines and offer up their opinions to a primer.

you kinda proved his point

why don't you just engage with what has already been said, like this post for example.

Fuck.

I'd second Delta Green, but also say it's possible to incorporate some Mythos stuff by effectively palette swapping it. There's no reason that mind-numbing horrors from beyond the stars would be called the same things by different people around the country/accross time that have never spoken to one another, with one caveat. Don't use Cthulhu.

>Because Veeky Forums thinks they're smart but in reality aren't.

replace Veeky Forums with "nerds" and you're spot-on.

50% of nerd culture is one massive misplaced superiority complex and the other 50% is franchise product consumption. In reality, most nerds are dumb as shit but were convinced at an early age (probably by their weird parents) that they were geniuses.

>80 posts in
What the fuck do you think I've been doing?

Get fucked, you cunt. They're retarded because they're either irrelevant or already being followed, and only listed in a weak attempt to insult. Understand, prick?

You first, you massive faggot.

Because if you don't bite onto the bait, the thread sinks to page 11.

Abandoned industrial spaces, long forgotten places, or just straight up normal places that are isolated somehow, a place thats normal, brightly lit and should be comforting but in the end you are alone, you are isolated and you cant be helped