MTG WEDNESDAY LORE/STORY

SEE YOU NEVER EDITION!!

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/who-tells-stories-2018-02-07

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/vote-control-golden-city-2018-02-07
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/pride-kraul-2017-05-31
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Elenda a qt and TamiyoXHuatli lesbian story friends

Don't forget to vote for vampires.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/vote-control-golden-city-2018-02-07

They've learned. There's no "current standing" display for this vote.

I know some people laugh at that and think he's a great character, but I can't help but almost groan when I read all of the wacky capslock bullshit in the first quarter of this article.

Wow that's bad.

Was this written by a professional or a fucking twelve year old

Written by the writers of Chandra, the professional twelve year old.

>Planeswalkers used to be stoic, intelligent people who understood the weight and responsibility of their power
>Now they have the mental capacity of a preteen

>I can't stop the war from telling the truth. I must travel!
This way the next time we come back with the queen, we can still have our lovely conflict!

>Huatli explained what she had seen on the other side (a rugged stream in brambled woods) and was answered by her uncle cheering. "You can't just stay here and be the emperor's pet! You have to go there, Huatli!"

I wonder what this plane is that Huatli is going to for a week? And will it actually be important in the further story? Or is it just an excuse to have her be away for a week only to return and find the emporer has been the huge dick he said he would be?

>Planeswalkers used to be stoic, intelligent people who understood the weight and responsibility of their power

This is laughably false

Planeswalker were always stupid, now they're a different kind of stupid.

>>Planeswalkers used to be stoic, intelligent people who understood the weight and responsibility of their power

No, I would never call oldwalkers responsible. They fucked up with worlds and civilizations.

Tamiyo has a loving husband. She is not for shipping.

Please be New Phyrexia.

>(a rugged stream in brambled woods)
>Please be New Phyrexia.
That seems unlikely

This would be better in normal type. It would show Angrath is calm but really hates where he is. He now can see his family again, why is he yelling? It would reflect the more calculating side we saw when he first met Huatli.

>why is he yelling?
Because he's Angrath
>It would reflect the more calculating side we saw when he first met Huatli.
Sure, he has that side if the situation calls for it but it really doesn't here. The sun is gone adn he's finally free to leave the prison forced upon him. In this situation a "Screw you guys, home!" is in character, at least I think so. He's finally gonna see his little girls again it's gonna be cute, CUTE! To bad will never read about it.

Oh I know it’s unlikely. But Huatli returning home to find her city covered in oil because she brought an innocent rock home is a pretty good plot hook.

>and then everyone got bored and fucked off, also the emperor is a dick

Woah, amazing.

But that's wrong, you rose tinted glasses wearing dummy.

Inb4 Next weeks story is just angrath returning home and seeing his daughters.

>pretty good

No, it's retarded. Are you a phyrexiafag or just somehow not yet bored of every single plane we go to having a disaster?

>people actually believe this
Fucking millennials probably never read an actual classic MtG story in their life.

>6RGW 9/9 Vigilant Reach Trample.
>Challenge 30 according to the Plane Shift document for Ixalan.
>Bossed around and little more than an obedient puppy around Hautli.

I have a feeling that WotC doesn't keep track of the power levels of their creations that much.

She used the power of the Orzaca, which is still full of power.

Honestly, it's just good to see one of these new walkers ACTUALLY WALKING instead of immediately coming home and staying home forever. Again.

>Gix returning from the blind eternities never

Don't forget to vote for your favorite faction, although it looks like the Sun Empire's guaranteed to succeed.

Oh boy, another fanvote that Wizards will ignore.

Christ, is that real?

It could have been done better, but I like it

Well, Urza was intelligent, I suppose. But that's about the only quality you mentioned that he possessed.

planes that are created just to cater to PoCs deserve to be phyrexianized. I sincerely hope that Kalashit is next

It turns out censoring their names can’t rectify the massive discrepancy in writing quality amongst the writers.

oh boy, more cartoon teenager talk; more evil tyrannical cis-males that refuse to listen to muh peace and muh female wisdom; best faction will get cucked by when we return and one of the strongest creatures in the set is merely used to showcase how awesome the new planeswalker is. Shit story 1/10

Here I thought diversity pirates were gonnna get there, how the hell are the literal KANGS in the lead? It this because of that upcoming Black Panther movie?

I get it, Wakanda > Queervengers, the hierarchy is all clear to me now

>"SEE YOU NEVER, PATHETIC FOOLS!"
I never read the older stories, was the writing always like this?

no, since the chandra writer got hired, the quality dropped

I mean, it’s pretty clear by reading about four-five Magic stories in succession, that there are some Writers who are on the team by pure writing merits alone, and some others who are clearly a fucking diversity hire and sit there and splash in their own shit and expect a goddamn medal and there isn’t a single thing Wizards can do even if they wanted to (and they clearly don’t) because touch that writer even a little bit and there’ll be a big ass discrimination lawsuit on their hands.

Whatever. I’ve learnt my lesson. I just come here and listen to feedback and if there’s anything that sounds remotely like a character written by a 12-year-old I steer CLEAR away from that week’s story. Case in point.

As long as fucking pirates don’t get it I don’t care who wins.

This is why I don't read the stories and just imagine some vague scenario based on what's present on the cards. I promise it's so much better this way.

As and noted, it's not all of them (although in general they aren't amazing, and at best are a bit above acceptable). There are one or two, however, who are extremely bad, and while I wasn't really paying enough attention to the names back when they were hired, it's likely the diversity hires largely because they weren't hired on the basis of ability.

When the criticism began rolling in, rather than fire them (you can't fire a diversity hire - or more accurately you can, but you'd better be prepared to weather a social media storm regardless of your reasons), they instead removed all their names, so that the good and bad stories are all shared under a single writing credit (i.e. "the writing team"). It was fairly obviously done as a means of hiding who was doing what. In practice, what it meant was that the wildly differing levels of quality are on display even without names attached. This also removes the ability to criticise them on the grounds of who they are and focus it on the quality, but I'm not sure that Wizards has caught up to it. And because they hide the name, they also can't fire for "terrible writers" because nobody has individual credit any more.

>tfw am a teacher
>tfw 9th grade students can write better than some of the Magic writing team

Can someone explain to me why majority of Veeky Forums keeps on calling pirates as some group of LGBT and the Sun Empire as wewuzers? I might’ve missed those parts reading the Ixalan stories.

I don’t get the “We Wuz” for Sun Empire, but it’s pretty clear that Pirates are suppose to represent the “Oppressed” and “different” especially against the Dusk Legion who represent Old World Europe.

Because the majority of Veeky Forums is most likely american and they seem intend on seeing LGBT, WEWUZ, CIS males, cucks and god knows whatelse, in everything these days. I try my best to ignore them but, as this post proves, it's becoming harder evey day because it's annoying af.

Far as I can make out, it's because:
1: Veeky Forums loves the Legion of Dusk for being Vampire Conquistadors with their "salvation through damnation" pseudo-Christian philosophy.
2: The Pirates faction is, in its lore, the descendants of all those people from the Legion's country who objected to being conquered and ruled over by a vampire-dominated theocracy and fled.
3: The Sun Empire are the "Natives" faction.
4: WoTC's sympathies are "obviously" inclined towards the Brazen League and the Sun Empire.
5: So, Veeky Forums slaps the League and the Empire with its go-to "hate this faction" slurs, probably due to growing contamination from /pol/.

Really I call the Sun Empire that as a tongue in cheek because the goddamn BLM and other such groups are so pigment sensitive that they’ll celebrate people of any damn Color as a singular homogeneous group against the bad whities and possible Asians and White Mexicans. I know that the Sun Empire are inspired by a completely different continent from the KANGS meme but somehow you can expect that PC bunch to ironically try and tie them together in the same group. You fucking Americans are so backwards in your treatment of race.

only a cuck would object to being ruled over by a vampire-dominated theocracy

haha good meme +1

Dunno, made me chuckle.

...A harsh, brutal, repressive society where the ones controlling all the power are LITERAL bloodsuckers whose religious doctrine says "only feed on the guilty" and so have every reason to make as many rules as possible to maximise their feeding opportunities?

You'd have to be a fool to want to live there. But, then, I suppose that describes America in a nutshell.

>it’s pretty clear by reading about four-five Magic stories in succession, there are some Writers who are on the team by pure writing merits alone
>Magic stories
>writing merit

>calling pirates as some group of LGBT
Not sure about that, but the pirates clearly have a diversity quota. Look at the art, it's about half women, which is fucking ridiculous for a profession that involves fighting, killing, and just hard physical work in general.
Then when MaRo got called on it he came out with some smug blogpost about how he doesn't understand why people think it's strange when the answer is really fucking obvious.

Thank you, it got even more annoying when the whole youtube drama/pol/meme took over. I even miss chandere ffs.

I wish more anons could ignore the obvious baits, but meh. It's Veeky Forums after all.

While I obviously don't know much about the inner working of the creative team, and I might be being overly optimistic or something, but it is worth considering that there are really two different kinds of writing to consider. I'll call them plotspinning and wordsmithing.

I, for instance, am a wordsmith first. I pay close attention to the structure of a passage, consider how the use of various devices will interact with the actual content, and try to ensure that the writing's flow is in sync with the pace of events. And before anyone jumps on me about how that list could have been much better if I had paid more attention to parallelism, this is a fucking Veeky Forums post. Come on. However, I'm fucking terrible at spinning a plot. Over the years that I've been a DM, my attempts at planning campaigns in advance have slowly atrophied to the point at which I just make sure there's some kind of conflict in place at the beginning of the first session. I can't see the game N moves in advance, can't predict how characters--both PC and NPC--will react to developments, can't plan out the rising action or figure out a satisfying conclusion. It all turns to shit in my hands.

It's possible that the members of the writing team that can't actually write an article for shit are actually the ones who do the best work in planning the overarching plot and character arcs. Maybe they can't write actual dialogue that sounds like it would come out of an adult's mouth, but they can chart a course for the story that the more technically-skilled writers couldn't.

The trouble is, of course, that most people don't think about writing that way, and many will assume that "good at writing" covers all aspects of the written process. So they want to actually write the individual stories, because it feels like that's where the action is.

>I even miss chandere ffs
Not as much as Sorin misses being more than just another brick in the wall.

>the goddamn BLM and other such groups are so pigment sensitive that they’ll celebrate people of any damn Color as a singular homogeneous group
To be fair, they aren't the only ones.

Too bad they can't write good dialogue AND they can't chart a good course for the story.

I honestly can't believe the DeviantArt-tier trash that WotC tries to pass off as storytelling.

At least it's still not as bad as Onslaught block.

It's highly unlikely, as if anything the overarching plot and character arcs also started taking a nosedive once the diversity hires happened, such as the godawful Suddenly Lesbians, and its accompanying shitty characterisation on the page. Magic has never been high art, but it can be and has been competent. And recently, several glaring downfalls in the form of individuals on the writing team are showing.

>filename

Well played

You shut your whore mouth Onslaught block was- well- it was... it wasn’t a story I think?

Oh who am I kidding it was also glorified fanfiction, especially the end of Legions and the whole of Scourge.

At least we had some real preggo fetishism with Phage. Anyone remember that? Good times.

>filename
every time

I mean, I'm not going to defend it as masterful writing, but in the sea of shit that's everything but the jace and vraska scenes (except the "fight" with Azor), it's fun to have a goofy character bitching about everything.

WotC are also Americans who force those kinds of themes in their creative work because it's popular.

>Muh -4 STR in a fantasy setting.
This is why no one likes you faggots.

Democracy ftw,

Fantasy settings must be internally consistent and nothing so far has suggested that women in MtG are universally equal to men in physical ability. You can see powerful women throughout the game's lifespan but this trend of half the cards of a faction depicting women who are as strong or stronger than men is clearly a new development made to pander to people who are ignorant of or offended by the biological differences between men and women.

It takes three seconds to write "the minotaur's voice came in a deafening roar".
It takes miliseconds to hit capslock.
That tells us all we need to know about how much Creative cares.

>MtG """"""""Story"""""""

Upvote!

Who are you, I saw you doing this on the other MtG thread to another user; stop doing it, I don’t know how many layers of irony you’re trying to be on.

>Fantasy settings must be internally consistent and nothing so far has suggested that women in MtG are universally equal to men in physical ability.
You like Veeky Forums's favorite planeswalker being a Paladin lady with a Sword/spear that fucking iced an unkillable god?
Or Veeky Forums's least favorite planeswalker who was a blacksmith for a living before she became a planeswalker?

And MTG has always had female characters being warriors and shit on the art. They haven't been as common as they are now but they've always been there and really, you're complaint is that "B-B-But there wasn't THIS many girls in the art before"
Guess what, that's still internal consistency. They haven't changed any rules in setting or out, they just decided to add more girls to the art because why not?

I literally said that you fucking mong. Why are you restating my post like you're arguing with me?

Read your own post >Fantasy settings must be internally consistent and nothing so far has suggested that women in MtG are universally equal to men in physical ability.
Despite the fact that women have been all over cards since magic's beginning. That they decided to make more cards with obvious women in their art is hurting your feelings or whatever is fucking pathetic.

The new girls ugly af tho the old girls were some fire bitches ain’t no one wanna put them new uggo asses inna decks.

Wewuzers hate mexicans. Dinos are being given the win because WotC got caught trying to fix it for the pirates when vampires were winning by far, and are now playing dumb.

I never said women being on the cards is inconsistent, I said this new development of half a faction being women who are as strong or stronger than men is new. You agree, but say they did it "because why not?" I'm saying they're doing it to pander to a popular trend.
>Despite the fact that women have been all over cards since magic's beginning
READ MY POST
>You can see powerful women throughout the game's lifespan

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said dick about my feelings on the matter, I never said Elspeth triggered me, I never said anything Nahiri being bullshit or whatever. You're arguing with me like I'm just a representative of a viewpoint you disagree with, like I'm some boogeyman you're attributing all this shit too. We agree you dumb cunt, calm the fuck down.

Because americans are brainwashed by the elephant and donkey cults.

Soldiers, warriors, marines, sailors, etc. in real life are overwhelmingly men. Asking why they aren't in this world doesn't imply some bias against women, you're the faggot that inferred that. If the pirates were polkadotted it would be reasonable to ask "Why are they polkadotted" and not get "BUT ITS A FANTASY WORLD WHY ARE YOU ASKING SO MANY QUESTIONS THERE AREN'T ENOUGH POLKA-DOTTED PEOPLE IN MAGIC ARE YOU PREJUDICED AGAINST POLKA DOT PEOPLE??? WE NEVER GOT ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PREDOMINATELY NON-POLKADOTTED PIRATES BEFORE"

>I'm saying they're doing it to pander to a popular trend.
And the question is "Why do you care?" Because for whatever reason you cared enough to post about it. From your first post >which is fucking ridiculous for a profession that involves fighting, killing, and just hard physical work in general.
So I responded, then you made some vague reference to internal consistency even though there's been plenty of examples of women in MTG before.
So why are you whining that there are more women on cards?

I liked this one magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/pride-kraul-2017-05-31

Are there any others like this?

And just like that another thread is ruined by insecure americans.

Can someone tell me a good place that's not reddit to talk about mtg lore?

The man LITERALLY asked
> it's about half women, which is fucking ridiculous for a profession that involves fighting, killing, and just hard physical work in general.
Even though it's a fantasy setting that has always had women that could preform herculean feats because of magic long before "muh SJW" shit.

I'm , you're talking to who is someone else.
Forgot another point. This game has never encountered the opposite situation. If there was a valkyrie creature type, we would all be surprised if half of them were male. If there was an amazon creature type, we would all be surprised if half of them were male. You bet your ass if they made valkyries a major creature type and half of them were male, some people would be asking questions. If there weren't a well developed reason why something that, in all of fiction thus far, has been female, then it would be totally reasonable to be weirded out.

Every story written by Ken Tropp is worth reading.

>So why are you whining that there are more women on cards?
Are you stupid? I'm not. I explained that hand-waving inconsistency away as "it's fantasy whatever" is stupid. It's inconsistent because, as you yourself said, the percentage of strong women cards in this faction is higher than ever. There is no internal explanation, it literally is just pandering to poplular trends. I never expressed an opinion on this pandering being positive or negative.

You are literally getting upset and arguing with opinions and feelings you're assuming I have. Get off the internet for a bit, go for a walk. Clear your head.

Cry more you obsessed cunt. Ctrl+f for the word "american" in this thread and watch as befuddled yurofags wonder why an American card game reflects American trends and themes.

The good ones are Tropp, Diggs and occasionally Yichao right? One of the girls does the teenage Chandra but I don’t know if it’s the blondie or not.

+1

>This game has never encountered the opposite situation
Someone's forgetting Amonkhet's angels. And yeah questions were asked.
The thing is though is that we're not talking about "Why are these normally male demons suddenly female" or "Why are these normally female angels male?"
The argument here is basically "Why are these fantasy women competent?" Which is why it's fair to say "It's fantasy." Because something real is suddenly fantastical. My car doesn't run on magical "aether" harvested from the air, but if it was a fantasy car it could. What's the problem?
MTG established that women could fight and kill well enough to be on cards a while ago, so what's wrong with it now?

Cuz they ugly now

>The argument here is basically "Why are these fantasy women competent?
No one has asked or said that you disingenuous fuck. Why are you even posting here if you just want to argue with yourself?

>The argument here is basically "Why are these fantasy women competent?"
[citation fucking needed]
Quit arguing with imaginary opinions and address what is actually being said.

I voted for Kangz only because of the off chance it leads to a good Boros card being printed sometime down the line

The reason I think something about it bothers you is wording. For the record my first post was in response to your first post
>which is fucking ridiculous for a profession that involves fighting, killing, and just hard physical work in general.
Which is a standard issue "-4 STR" post. And the following posts about "internal consistency" made no sense. That's why I'm wondering what you're upset about.
So let's try again: What is wrong with women in a fantasy setting having a "job" that involves "fighting, killing, and just hard physical work in general."

>which is fucking ridiculous for a profession that involves fighting, killing, and just hard physical work in general.
Sounds pretty "Why are these fantasy women competent" to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

That wasn't my first post. I understand it's inherently difficult to keep track of who is who in discussions on anonymous image boards. Lurk moar. You'll get the hang of it eventually.
>but maybe I'm reading it wrong.
You are deliberately reading it wrong, yes.

>If there was a valkyrie creature type, we would all be surprised if half of them were male. If there was an amazon creature type, we would all be surprised if half of them were male.
Magic has valkyries. They're typed as Angels. Amonkhet gave us exclusively male Angels. This was after years of people asking why there were no male Angels outside of Planar Chaos.