Scion

Scion thread.

What specific Boons/Knacks do you want to see in 2e that you really enjoyed in 1e? What ones were horribly broken?

Serpent's Gaze and Untouchable Opponent were bad, but I really liked Eye of the Storm (CHAOS •); it was situational enough but powerful enough that using it felt really good, without breaking the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

electronicproducts.com/Power_Products/Power_and_Control/Need_to_melt_some_metal_Do_it_yourself_using_some_wire_and_magnets.aspx?id=237
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What specific Boons do you want to see in 2e that you really enjoyed in 1e?
None, they were all shit. As for Knacks, probably Eternal Vigilance and some others. Honestly, Boons and Knacks should be structured the same way.

>Serpent's Gaze
>bad
How does it feel to have such shit taste?

Given his positioning of it, he may have meant "Bad" in terms of "overpowered", since he set it next to Untouchable Opponent.

I just want to use Fire boons to light bitches up who give sass to the son of the sun. I realize this is basically villainy but the only way to go from there is up, right?

I'm interested in seeing a few particular purviews to see where they put the social and mental powers. Namely I'm looking to passion, artistry, order, deception, and beauty. I'm also curious to see how they handle the epic physical purviews for obvious reasons, the scale system seems really nice, and I'm eager to try and see how a group with some dudes who are super strong/tough and some who aren't work, though that's mostly because I'm eager to see aberrent 2e

Like seven purviews have already been previews. Fire is one of them and yes, one of those boons is a scene long ability to shoot fire attacks at people
On top of that apperently using free form marvels you can deal damage using any purview, which seems weird but we'll see how that works

this Serpents Gaze and it's chain were the fuck-you counter to Untouchable Opponent, but they were both broken as hell and the game would be better off without them.

Why is Perfect Defense such cancer that the idea spread to every WW game after Exalted?

First and for-most I want a system that actually works. I love the concept of Scion, but the old WoD system was so ill-suited and so horribly implemented it, it was downright unplayable

I mean, it does play into the idea of the kind of superhuman combatants that Exalted and Scion both aim to represent. The idea of having such inhuman toughness/speed/strength that you can ignore a blow.

The difficulty comes in balancing it in a way that doesn't lead to paranoia combat.

Untouchable opponent didn't come from exalted. Hell it isn't a perfect defense, it's just my number is bigger then yours. There was no offensive counterpart to it that forced you to take it or die really

In the other user's defense, Untouchable opponent did, in many cases, equate to a perfect defense, given the nature of DV, bonus successes, and the power of doubling.

Oh yeah, having the max level dv (I think like 100+) did make you impossible to hit unless you abused a specific handeful of boon, but I don't think that was from exalted. I imagine it was just from poor design in general

WW has always had a boner for Dexterity being the ultimate answer to everything. Exalted just took it to 11 with charms that enhanced it's power, and Scion followed suit with Untouchable Opponent.

Well aside from the charms not keying off of attributes most of the time you're kinda right. Interesting to see people asking what to even take Dex for in 2e

The pantheon specific purviews we don't already know about

We don't know anything about any purview, for that matter.

The backers know some stuff about some of the purviews.

Water, Wyrd, Teotl, and Tanming (the Chinese one.) were all previewed for backers.

I feel like there was more, but some of the links are dead, and I don't feel like reading EVERY update to scan for them all.

I don't know if I'm supposed to keep this shit secret, but I mean, it's teaser material, so I don't see why I should.

Anything you'd like to know?

Also Dodaem, the Manitou one.

How much solid mechanics do they currently have?

The backers, or White Wolf?

Every previewed Purview came with an Innate power, a passive ongoing benefit for possessing the purview as well as two "Marvels" (or whatever the purview specific abilities are called).

Like, for example, the Water purview:

Innate power: Breathes Water as if air, ignores all Obstacles for moving or acting within water, immune to harm water temperature or pressure.

The marvels are

Changing Tides: Imbue a legend to control the flow of a body of water out to long range, rendering it placid and still even in a hurricane, or changing the currents as you see fit. You could reverse the flow of a river, or drag all the swimmers you can see to shore.

OR you can spend a legend to throw a massive forceful wave to crush your enemies, making an attack with (highest Power Attribute)+Occult with Enhancement 4. This attack has the shockwave tag, meaning it will hit all enemies in the same range band, as well as the Bashing and Pushing tags.

The other marvel is called Reborn from the Depths. You imbue a legend, and spend a scene submerged in water. At the end of the scene, heal a -2 injury, or a -4 if your -2s are clear. As a simple action while submerged, you may extend your senses to any point in the same body of water within long range, seeing and hearing as if you were standing at that location.

Will there be more than 3 abilities per purview in the release? Idk. I just know what they told me.

Note also that these previews aren't exactly new, so it's entirely possible some details have changed.

Sounds like the legend system will still be in.

At least in these drafts.

Interestingly, not all purview abilities use Legend, and some even replace it. Also, nothing in the previewed documents has a cost higher than 1.

I think the most interesting one in terms of grand implications is the Teotl one, which is all about "when you gain Legend from sacrifices to you..." which implies a mechanic of mortal support, perhaps somewhat akin to Exalted's Cult follower merit.

There is that cult thing in the origin preview, so that probably ties in.

Bumps for interest.
Anyone else thinks that Purviews are kinda weak compared to Epic Attributes? Added that to the fact that you need a birthright to use them in the first place makes them rather lame.

In 1e purviews were kind of shit at first with little boons that didn't really do much. Those little powers in 2e are basically all covered by the marvel system of "build your own miracle" stuff with the boons generally being big, miraculous shit a young son of the gods could get some mileage out of. Like summoning a giant death wave, cursing or blessing entire bloodlines or tracts of land, fireballs, stoking the metaphorical fires of inspiration, prophecy, or other stuff thematically related to purviews.

I was in the playtest for what its worth. Origins looks similar to the final draft of stuff we had to work with, with some mechanical fiddling. I figure Hero can't be that far off either. I'm at work and being a filthy phone poster right now but can try to answer in brief any questions anyone has during slow points. Though if today turns out to be busy it won't be much.

>A friend who's a very good GM proposes us a mini-campaign in Scion
>Never heard about it before, but mythology is cool, so I'm hyped
>Other people also say they totally want to play that, we end up having more wiling players than there is room for them
>GM gives us a whole fucking month to create PCs
>I had like, at least 3 good , developed ideas before I even sat down to proper creation process itself
>Since both I and GM know that other players are lazyfags, especially when it comes to reading, we offer them help in creating their PCs
>Hell, they didn't even have to read it, just meet up with us and we're guide you through creation and explain you everything
>Month passes
>I'm the only one who made a PC
I'm still pissed of about this, I really wanted to play that one. Would run it myself, but I'm kinda shit when it comes to GMing urban settings and I mostly wanted to play.

I hate when people do that. I'm starting an Origins game tonight and one player has done this shit. He's a friend but pulls this last minute bull in every game. Chronic character idea overload and he refuses to commit and make a sheet until it is the literal moment of the game. At least everyone else has sheets done and ready to go.

Is it lazyfagness or are some people just chronically unable to commit to ideas?

I liked the purviews. Especially with the General purviews, you had a lot of freedom to do explicitly supernatural things and demonstrate some unique powers. Knacks were neat, but "guy who lifts lots of stuff" loses out to "guy who shoots flaming bullets" every time in my book.

Would you happen to have the 2e Hero draft?

Laziness. As someone who has trouble committing to character concepts, I decided to stop being a dick to my GMs and just make up characters as they came to me, then picking one on the night of the first session. Not only did it mean I at least had something to play with, it meant that I learned a lot about different subsections of the rules and figured out what appealed to me mechanically.

I ended up doing 15 different runners for an SR5 game, but I sure as heck knew how to calculate damage codes and Overwatch.

What? Yeah we do, we got like seven previews, seeBesides the ones you listed we have fire, forge, fertility, fortune, prosperity, and most of health. Oh and one beauty boon

What if you're a guy who lifts lots of flaming stuff? Like lava and shit

Do you have them somewhere?

Some of them. You can fins all of these on the Kickstarter, none of the updates are backer exclusive. One of them has a link with an extra %20%20 added on the end but besides that I think they all work

That was a Boon in 1e, either 9 or 10 dots in Earth iirc.

Or just Fire Immunity and a bucket.

Fire immunity and epic strength. Throw the volcano!

Should amazons be Transphobic?

I feel like there should be an internal generational divide in classical greek ones, but I don't think OPP would risk the fan whinging over it. I'll probably have shades of it in my game because one character is going to make a gender swapping Theoi and specifically wants to try and IC push the buttons of gods and cults with strong gendered roles and behaviors.

Trickster scion of Hermes awaaaay!

That isn't out yet, it only just got back for final editing before the rough text is shared. Probably by end of February going by the time Origins took

What sorcery is this? Is the magnetic field causing induction or something?

I'm happy with everything as long as it has some balance.

electronicproducts.com/Power_Products/Power_and_Control/Need_to_melt_some_metal_Do_it_yourself_using_some_wire_and_magnets.aspx?id=237

>Transphobic
Nobody's afraid of trannies.

Why in the unholy floppy granny titty fuck did they restrict the Animal/Beasts purview to one type of animal again? Did these idiots learn nothing from last time or what?

I remember at 9 or 10 in 1e animal allowed you to apply it to every animal instead of one animal.

They didn't. Some God's have one, some have three, some have Beasts(all)

It was the 10th dot, along with a sidebar for how to balance it out if characters had invested into multiple animals.

So can you only buy the Animal that your God parent is associated with? What if you don't have one in your lineage?

Good to see they're keeping wild imbalance in Godly parents intact. Some people get peacocks, others get the entire animal kingdom.

Any ETA for the Hero release or at least the backer draft?

In effect, but it's not mechanically the same. A perfect defense is just outright "the enemy's attack fails".

Late this month or early March.

For the draft mind you. Its playable but full of editing artifacts still.

You don't have to take that focus. The parenthetical is an option to select from your divine progenitor which allows you to limit the purview effectiveness to only those animals in return for a free motif to do marvels with lther purviews with.

If it is beasts (all) you just have a wider range to choose the limitation from but by and large if you're not a fucking retard you'll be fine since the best parts of yhat purview are the ones where you fluff an aspect of that animal to emulate and then give yourself a pick from a standard range of enhanced powers. You can channel a jaguar or a mosquito justas effectively into lethal unarmed powet and the mosquito is probably piercing.

How do I build a ninja character in this system?

High finesse traits, combat skills, trickster calling has disguise stuff, and when you make it Hero or better you want the darkness and deception purviews. Weeb long and prosper.

Sorcerers get out REEEEEEEE

But there's no Stealth skill or nuthin'. How am I gonna get the drop on people and LARP as Solid Snake?

Subterfuge and athletics are what you want I think desu fampai

So far I think you can 'learn' any purview you feel like over the course of the game. It'll probably be hard at hero level but if your parent is associated with some animal I assume you can still learn other animals and gold that in
No. The only thing your parent gets you is one purview you can channel the boons from free hand. You can learn any other purviews you want j believe but you need a relic or some other thing to channel them with. Just like in 1e I think you can work up to having anything favored you want over the course of hero -> demigod -> god. I mean Eros is the son of ares is the son of Zeus in certain legends.

I think at char gen your relic or guide granted boons have to be from them as well but after that point you can gain from any that make sense for the birthright you acquire that grants them. Like maybe you do a demigod who has Death a solid and he hooks you up with a rod that has Death and a specialty knack for commanding ghosts from his collection despite your parent having nothing at all to do with that

Yeah that's what I was trying to mean. You can still buy say fire boons, you just need to find something that let's you do it. Parent let's you have one purview you can use without anything like that, so instead of certain parents being objectively better since you get tons and tons of purviews for cheaper xp, everyone starts on the same field so to speak

I'm glad they balanced that part, Odin had so much shit with him.

There's some Norse god with like....two purviews here this edition. I mean I guess one good technically had more options, but that's fine because most of the time people decide concept and work backwards to divine parent, not the other way around.
And of course I'm guessing once we get into demigod/god there will be ways for people to just make certain purviews favored like last time

Kind of sucks if you're a hardcore fan of a god and are like "fuck, he only has epic stamina and earth?" Or something like that. But yeah most gods, cool ones especially, have a wide selection of cool purviews that at least one will surely appeal to someone looking for son/daughter/chosen of idea

Well that, and hopefully this time around there wont be any purviews that just plain old suck. Like 1e hero fertility was pretty much a joke, and yet this time around even that is looking pretty neat

Fetility being a joke has led to it being rewritten as one of the more crazy ones. You can curse entire families with a point of imbued legend. Conception fails, the young and old sicken and die, illness plagues them, the works. I love how like an actual divine curse it is

Forge's looking pretty good, but I wonder if it will dodge the usual pitfall of dedicated crafters.

There's all of three boons per purview in Hero so with exp you'll probably wind up with a variety of others to keep diversified. Then you build relics with the help of allies to give yourself even more! Then you become Iron Man in flying relic armor that weaponizes the mythic underpinnings of reality

Praise the gods and drink wine, the weekend is upon us.

Origins is already out/leaked?

Backers got the full (not final edit) text. Here you go, user.

It is the core rules, the basics of what makes the World not like our world, and enough to build a pre-Visitation character. Hero should be out before the end of the month in the same rough but usable format, but right now if you want to play before the full scope of the universe is unveiled to a character you're set.

Thanks user!

What pitfalls are those?

I assume like the decker/techno issue over in Shadowrun. You can easily turn your specialty into a minigame that you do off on your own and stalls everyone else up and then in turn are unable to as meaningfully participate outside your little mini game save some kind of lacking dice pools.

Ah. Well I imagine that can be solved either by making crafting not take a huge amount of time or else having it not all setteled in one block. Like a decent amount of time between roles or so on

That you don't get a chance to shine because your talent only applies to downtime.

Callings are feeling a bit shitty.

In what way?

They decided to make everything "free" and based on whatever you want, But the calling MUST be like just your divine parent, And it limit options on things to get. Funny thing is that one of the example characters doesn't even follow this rule.

You get three of them, only one of those has to be from your parent.

Not at Origins, the three callings comes at Hero unless that radically changes in the final draft.

As soon as I get Hero, I'm gonna make my Arthurian pantheon. It's gonna be chivalrous as FUCK

Virtues: Chivalry vs. Chivalry but in French?

Obviously, it's Chivalry vs FUCKING MORDRED

But really, it's going to be Obligation vs Passion

To explain further, a knight is bound by his Obligations: to the people he protects, to his code of chivalry, and to the greater good. But he is also fueled by his Passions: to the lady he loves, to the thrill of a challenge, and to his thirst for justice.

A knight is often called to honor his Obligations and place his oaths above all else. But the fire in his heart is not so easily doused, and his Passions may lead him to further glory--or ruin.

Well at least is on Hero, i tought you would need to reach demigod to get a extra calling.

So Fertility is taking the role of Health, then? 1e Fertility was all about plant stuff.

I was fine with it, from the 90's-2000's design standpoint of "everything everyone does uses the same set of rules", and they needed a way to blight crops and grow magic plants. Most of the boons weren't super useful for standard Scions, though there was a really good one about hiding in a natural environment and being basically impossible to find, even by hunting-based supernatural beings. A player once pitched someone who was trying to Fatebind themselves a network of cults, using Health and Fertility because those are obvious, direct, and applicable pretty much anywhere on Earth, but that game never got off the ground.

There's two. One is, "This is a thing that only happens off-screen, with it's own dedicated rules that takes forever to bear fruit."

The second, not exclusive issue is
>you become Iron Man in flying relic armor

Crafting systems are often easy to break wide open, letting you build impossibly good equipment and entirely ruining any attempt at a difficulty curve that matches the party.

Fertility is about plants and growth. Health is all about fixing booboos and leveraging nightmarish disease to your ends. See Apollo and his bow of sickness

So if understood correctly some knacks have passive effects and other need to be activated with momentum?

Correct. The wording on this is going to get cleaned up, since more than a few people noted that it was unclear in the OPP forums.

>implying the British pantheon wouldn't just be the Islamic one in Current Year

>like 6% of the religious demographic
Okay sure, then I guess India is dominated by Allah too at something like 14% rather than the Devas.

PANTHEON? That's haram, oniisan

>everyone wanting meme pantheons like Camelot and angels and American Gods
Why can't you bumblefucks just enjoy mythology?

This. i already dislike native american and other shit that no one cares about appearing on the game, but Camelot and pop shit are just plain retarded.