Shapeshifting Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What's your favorite shapechanger? What was a time you or your DM used a shapechanger to great effect, or in an interesting way?

Other urls found in this thread:

polljunkie.com/poll/fopmaq/best-5e-adventures
gmbinder.com/share/-L4gpLqnsJd160EH7LP_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My favourite shapechanger is any race that isn't human.
Because heretics deserve to be purged, and they're not going to look the same as what they did before.

What is a good campaign book to run for relatively new players?

I'm partial to OotA but none of them really know anything about lore or the Underdark to get or care about what's going on. Also, I found the prisonbreak a nightmare to run last time I did it as a once off.
I'm also currently playing in a CoS campaign, so I don't want to mess with my DM by reading through the whole book.

>Guy homebrews a spell
>It's far more powerful than a spell of literally the same level and has additional effects
Why do people even bother to homebrew?

I don't have a favorite shapechanger, but I am salty the one day I un-prepared moonbeam for a different spell is the day we fought shapechangers.

because they are morons.

A character is trying to rationalize and tell himself that what's he's seeing isn't real. INT or WIS?

Should I allow my players to use Xanthars guide for character creation or will i regret this decision?

>rationalize
Int.

Mines of Phandelver

Does it have restrictions, like once/day and someone just happened to learn it? Did it get obtained in a way similar to how people get magic items?
I've had some pretty dumb spells given to me by my DM, but they usually had restrictions that normal spells don't, and it was obtained at a time when you'd usually receive a magic item as a reward, or something.

How long of a campaign are you wanting? Lost Mine of Phandelver is the go-to starting campaign for a reason, it's pretty good. It only goes 1-5 though, so if you want to keep going after that they'd be at a good level to start Storm King's Thunder, which I liked running and my relatively new players enjoyed.

Nah its fine. Mostly balanced.

Players could power game with the players handbook. If they can be trusted to play 5e they can be trusted to use Xanthars

Besides Xanthars has lots of fun stuff

I do not recommend OotA for new players, their characters will likely (literally) get eaten alive in the first couple chapters.

I'm about to play with a bunch of new players, and I have little experience myself. Any tips for teaching character creation? How do you approach a first time DM asking how much world building and lore there is for a new campaign?

Just disallow the spell Healing Spirit.

>Any tips for teaching character creation?
the PHB literally provides you with step by step instructions

Ban Hexblade multiclassing (or just outright ban it), let them use UA Ranger in place of Xanathar Ranger, if someone plays the Spirit thingo Barb then make sure to say whether it's 2d8 or 2d6 for Spirit Shield as the book has mistakes on two different pages

Outside of that, it's pretty fine. Heck, the vast majority of options are really weak or badly implemented.

It has less restrictions than the similar spell.
It lasts longer, still no concentration.
Longstrider: 1 hour duration, +10ft of movement, first level spell.
Homebrew spell: 24 hour duration, triple movement speed, unable to be exhausted from non-magical sources, also first level spell

At that point you might as well give up and play freeform.

It depends. If what they're seeing is something physical that they're interacting with like an illusion or disguise, it's Int(Investigation). If it's a social act like someone staging a scene or lying, Wis(Insight) is more relevant.

>Ban Hexblade
Why tho?

Forgot to mention I already ran Lost Mines for two of them about a year ago.
Looking for something that I can hopefully run weekly for a good few months.

Is it triple movement speed as in 30 instead of 10? Or triple as in the player is double dashing every turn for free?
The first is.. kinda acceptable if it was gained for a proper reason. The latter is absolutely retarded and imposes on so many different classes.

He said specifically ban hexblade multiclasses.
For no Paladin smite shenanigans.

>(or just outright ban it)
Why tho?

It's a homebrew spell, it's exactly as bad as whatever you can imagine
It's the latter

Level 1 dip for a ton of benefits people would get for other multiclasses all dipped into one, while also making Charisma gishes a thing now (which was something they otherwise removed from 5e until now - the only alternative up until now was Shillelagh, and that had a specific weapon requirement, a bonus action to cast, and it was only gained by one class).
It's the best multiclass of anything in the entire game by a long shot and goes against so many issues 5e had originally fixed.

Yeah as of right now that's the plan just curious if any veterans had experience teaching new players the systems, see what people found effective.

>Charisma gishes a thing now
Bard/paladin and sorcerer/paladin say hello.

Why do people do this shit, it's like they're designing spells to win some competition. And here I am trying to get my GM to let me homebrew a cantrip that doesn't even deal damage and he won't let me because I'll use it "to be an annoying chaotic retard."
I mean he's right but still.

The outright ban it part is because the subclass itself is insanely strong and objectively the best of all Warlock subclasses, and Warlocks were already pretty damn good. Level 6 is basically 'fuck the DM, break the action economy', and everything else is just 'your mega Hex gets even more mega'.
Even if you ignore the fact it's the best multiclass, it's easily the best subclass in all of Xanathar, and that should raise flags.

Sit down with everyone and go through it together, it sounds weird but it makes it far easier and you're not answering the same question four-six different times.

A real thing. They still had to invest in two stats. Now you only need Charisma no matter what which means you reach max strength and utility faster than any other standard gish.

For science: polljunkie.com/poll/fopmaq/best-5e-adventures

What are some fun and exciting ways to roll a ranged weapon user without using the Ranger?

What is a fitting God for a conquest paladin who:
-Believes that he should rule because the weak cannot rule themselves
-Wants to avoid bloodshed if possible, is willing to use deception to win
-Is not necessarily a good person, but wants to take care of his people if he becomes a king or leader

>Playing a Gish
>Not having to invest in casting stat and Con

Himself
Make an Oath to yourself that you will conquer the shitters and become mega Hitler, with your final goal to be ascending to Godhood

>What are some fun and exciting ways to roll a ranged weapon user without using the Ranger?
Use something other than ranger.

Fighter battlemaster, be more Legolas than any Ranger could hope to be.

Ranged weapon Battlemaster.

I like the idea, but it feels a bit too fedora.

You not have a free secondary stat to max out easily.
Whereas if you wanted max damage gish in the past, you needed Str or Dex for the appropriate melee weapons, Charisma for spells and bonuses, and anything left went into Con.
Now you just get 20 Cha by level 8 and you can put the rest into Charisma. If you're using things like GFB, you're getting both your weapon modifier on the melee portion and your spellcasting modifier on the spell portion, which means you're doubling up on damage with the fact you only need one stat investment now. It means you can invest in one stat and play all roles appropriately, whereas before you still had to make sacrifices.

You now*
rest into Con*

Honestly, your concept is already kinda fedora. It's edgy but tries not to go full edge because of the 'compassionate for his followers' part. You might as well go all the way and just play him as a turbo narcissist

I don't see any other way of playing a conquest paladin. You're either full fedora or partial fedora, it seems.

>Implying you still won't need dex
>One of bigger saves in the game
You're still sacrificing initiative and Dex saves which isn't something minor.

Sounds somewhat like Bane, if not exactly.
>Bane has a simple ethos: the strong have not just the right but the duty to rule over the weak. A tyrant who is able to seize power must do so, for not only does the tyrant benefit, but so do those under the tyrant's rule. When a ruler succumbs to decadence, corruption, or decrepitude, a stronger and more suitable ruler will rise. Bane is vilified in many legends. Throughout history, those who favor him have committed dark deeds in his name, but most people don't worship Bane out of malice. Bane represents ambition and control, and those who have the former but lack the latter pray to him to give them strength. It is said that Bane favors those who exhibit drive and courage, and that he aids those who seek to become conquerors, carving kingdoms from the wilderness, and bringing order to the lawless. At many times and in many places in Faen1n, the faithful of Bane have been seen as saviors for their efforts in slaughtering raiders, throwing down corrupt rulers, or saving armies on the brink of defeat. But in just as many other places, the worship of Bane has created or supported cruel dictatorships, aided mercantile monopolies, or brought about the practice of slavery where before it didn't exist.

You can go 15 Cha, 15 Con, 14 Dex. With Vuman get yourself to 16/16/14 with 10/8/8 in the rest. With 14 Dex you already max out the medium armor you get so going any further is pointless, and you still have +2 initiative.
If you went Dex gish in the past you didn't get to use a greatsword so you lost damage. If you went a Str gish, you didn't get the initiative you just talked about. Now you get the best of all worlds right off the bat.

I'm DM'ing for the first time for a huge group of my friends who are playing for the first time. Only ever been a player in one short lived campaign before. I'm going to try and put them on the Sunless Citadel, and I've read the player and DM books cover to cover, but I feel like there's just so much I can't do.
Is a map necessary? Should I have the players make the map?

Depends, if you want to make a map you can. Personally I do because I have one player who pulls a Marisha more often than not. The opposite way is you can go old school and have the party draw a map themselves, this requires you given as thorough of a description as possible so as to not confuse people. Another is pure theater of the mind, it's all up to you and what works best for your group.

Cool. We're going to be drinking, so I'm guessing a premade map would be best. I just wish I could get a sense of scale down properly, I feel like every time I've tried shit is too big or too small.

That is not a bad idea, I was just gonna have everyone do it and answer stuff as it came up.

Going to play a one shot next week, the combo Sorcerer/Warlock would work at level 3?

That's a good pick. Thanks.

Just play one or the other. At level 3 with multiclassing you don't get much out of it. Sorc doesn't get much until 3, Warlock 1 and 2 are good, but a level 1 Sorc multi is shit for it and you're gimping yourself.
Once you get to four, that's when you'd be able to multi

You don't get much from the multiclass at that low a level. I'd recommend just picking one of the two classes, so you at least get 2nd level spells.

Personally, I just worry about the actual combat areas and not an overall map of the land. Except for the one group I DM for that likes the old school "we have to make a map as we go in the dungeon." Just keep general notes of how big and far apart things are and it'll be fine.

Trust me especially when everyone is new it helps to all sit down and do it together, makes it so those who catch on faster can help, everyone can actually talk about their characters and make a group that will mesh well together and makes it so someone doesn't come in thinking they're gonna play something they found online.

Use Minor Illusion to be an annoying chaotic retard instead. Abuse that cantrip for all it's worth.

Hey I made a pretty robust Fighter Archetype. It's somewhat of a reimagining of the Arcane Archer, but not so laser focused.

It's a bit of a mouthful but would someone perhaps be willing to give me an opinion of it?

gmbinder.com/share/-L4gpLqnsJd160EH7LP_

For the source

What about a level 3 grappler barbarian with expertise in athletics with the racial feat from xanathar?

>rogue (swashbuckler)
>druid (moon)
>fighter (protection)
>UA ranger (bow / ??)
>monk

6th player wants to know what to play. I'm thinking barbarian. Thoughts?

It depends on which is your playstile.

To people that play online AL as players, is it fun? Is it just me or does it play like its "just a series of combat encounters"?
To AL DMs, how much can you deviate from the modules?
I'm having fun being able to play but it feels like i'm playing a lootgrind game where I have to tell someone what I want to do and then roll some dice.

So what's the standard for new characters in a module based milestone campaign? Do they get a reduced level penalty or what

Is it really that bonkers?

You don't have a real dps spellcaster or a utility character. Barbarian is just another frontline in a team of frontlines.
Bard and Sorcerer would both work. Wizards are fags and boring unless you're playing something like Bladesinger.

If you mean introducing a new character in a campaign that using milestone leveling, what I do is bring them in a level lower than everyone else, but let them catch up to the party within a session or two, usually after a major battle or a recruitment session or something.

>homebrew

my playstyle is foreverDM

the players style is too intellectual to combat encounter and she wants to change that by switching characters but she picked a wild-magic sorc.

she never cast a single spell besides guidance in 16 hours of table time with her last character. I don't know that a wild magic sorc is a good thing, butt fuckit at least a magic missile might fire off accidentially while she is casting "mend" or some non-combat shit right?

>all homebrew is bad

Not him but it's pretty fucking stupid.
Cast it in combat and now it's just a zone of 'go fuck yourself' for low cost. Makes tanks immortal and combined with healing subclasses it gets even worse. It's a bonus action too, so it's an infinitely better Healing Word.
Cast it outside of combat and you just used Prayer of Healing on steroids that also has more uses.

not all, just 99%

>Sorcerer
well sheet that's pretty much what she picked
guess sorc it is thing
thanks that was exactly what I was looking for

>wojack

I mean, to be entirely fair, I've been an inveterate homebrewer since I was first introduced to the hobby, and I contemplate suicide on an almost daily basis. The two aren't necessarily linked, mind you.

>old meme

all of YOUR homebrew is bad
mine is good
>tfw 1%er

>Is it just me or does it play like its "just a series of combat encounters"?
You can only get guaranteed experience from combat encounters. The only time you get rp experience is if the module states you do for it.
So yeah everyone is concerned about combat because you can't actually effect anything major through rp and get nothing except maybe a magic item (this doesn't happen)
You can't even get treasure unless the module lists it as treasure.

Don't let her play Wild Magic Sorc. It's just infuriating for everyone other than 'lolrandumb xd' people.
Encourage her to play one of the Sorc options from XGE (Divine Soul and Shadow especially, both are great)

>.gif

So yeah anyways I think it's kinda OP and I should nerf it but at the same time it should be reasonably powerful.

>Encourage her
right because I've been so successful at molding this player who is dropping one character for a wild sorc in the middle of a combat encounter she wasn't going to actually attack during in the first place. I mean fuck it a campaign ruining wild magic surge would be a blessing at this point.

I'm addicted to multiclassing. I don't really care about the high level abilities that are unique to certain classes.

>Adventurer's League
Why do people subject themselves to this shit?

On the topic of Homebrew, if I wanted to make a Rogue archtype based heavily upon having a lot of resources, like knives and caltrops and all that, how would I best implement that? And should I compare the functions to the other, official archetypes?

>disrespecting the classics

Nanosaur was a great game.

Play a Thief and Cunning Action constantly. Ain't difficult, m8.

That's just a Thief which is kind of underpowered because throwing caltrops or acid vials is pretty fucking bad past level 3.

Yeah what you just described is

Yes. In combat it's damn good. Out of combat it's 20d6 healing for every member of your party.

I could see it let it use the cunning action to use objects. Give it a climb speed too so you can do some second story work.
Later on give them a way to get adv on stealth checks so they can set up their traps. Later on let them expand their object usage to magic items by letting them ignoring restrictions on them. Maybe make a capstone where they can take a second turn in the first round of combat to really rubegoldberg it up

Well what about maneuvers and fancy tricks with those common gadgets Thieves use? And a way to make them scale past level 3?

You're getting memed by the way, don't bother responding to anyone that doesn't have actual critique for you, or who refuses to not include sperg rage with the critique.

How much damage should pic related do? How much XP should I give the party for getting around it?
Should I give them XP for getting around it?

ask your DM if he'd be willing to make magical/improved versions for you

I am fully aware

>deadly damage appropriate to their level, as outlined in xanathars
>using exp

i think milestone is better, but the exp of a medium or easy encounter is probably fine.

At 3rd level you have an effective utility belt. Pick 4 from the list of these custom-made items (which are all better designed than the default consumables which are never used).
You can choose one more at X, Y and Z levels
You may use non-magic consumable items as a bonus action. If the item has a set area it covers (like 5 ft), you may double that area at no extra expense. At Xth level (some arbitrary level, I forget Rogue scaling), you may triple it. At Yth level, you may quadruple it.
If you use an item with the thrown and finesse properties, you may throw a second copy of the item as long as you have one and without any extra hands required.
At 9th level, your consumable items (both PHB and ones given by the class) gain a throwing distance of 20/60. If you use a consumable as an action (including throwing it with this feature), if any enemies are in the radius of the consumable, you may choose one of those enemies to take damage equal to your sneak attack modifier.
At 13th level, enemies who trigger your consumables take damage equal to your Sneak Attack modifier, but only once per turn.
At 17th level I gave up.

Something like this, I guess? I dunno.

I think the best way to approach this is going to be to think of it in terms of an artificer subclass for rogue, in the same way that arcane trickster is a wizard subclass for rogue.