EDH/Commander General

Meanwhile,: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What's your favourite mono-color?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-02-18-momir-vig-edh/?cb=1518094510
youtube.com/watch?v=iGm7lgKVa1E
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/list-multiplayer-edh-generals-by-tier/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>have a bunch of elves
>not sure what elf commander I want
Momir vig or ezuri renegade leader?

Ezuri can be fun, but he's easy to make linear so make sure to include some appropriate jank

Mono is shit. Get some nonbasics, poorfags.

Not sure if this is Jank but I really want a deck for this guy
This is easily my fav green creature

Beast Within on gigantic legs does seem like a green dream, go make your dreams come true user!

BRO MLD LMAO

>unironically complaining about MLD from a timmy monster
lmao

Terastodon is a Spike card though

Not if you don't abuse it, see

How do I into commander?

I only make shit decks and only know how to compile cards that do the same to make a shit deck with no synergy or interactions that doesnt work or a deck based around a single gimmick that doesnt work either.

>abuse terastodon
>90% of the time abusing terastodon consists of blowing up your own lands over and over to make a million tokens
Have u guys every played with terastodon

personally I run it in my meren deck to blow up problem stuff my opponent(s) have, then they end up losing their elephants to forced sacrifice effects

in mayael, it's solid removal and a big dangerous body

Yeah, no denying it’s a great card, but the people responding were really hamming it up in terms of the land destruction effect

But i don't want my good enchantments and artifacts to be 3/3 elephants.

ramp and card draw are the necessary basis even (especially) for meme decks, then you choose a gimmick, select the card for the lowest cmc, and you're basically done. Then you can trim all the edges, a task that's never over.

>ramp and card draw are the necessary basis even

So maybe I should start with GU?

It's a decent place to start.
Mormir Vig is fun cos tutor effect.

>spirit doesn’t have flying

fucking kamigawa

probably blue or red in terms of commander options

Well yeah but UG it's so easy it isn't fun

Kamigawa the ultimate shit.
Some broken shit and a lot of useless stuff.

So how do I build Momir Vig ?

Green ramp? or mana ramp? ( fetch cards or "play more lands" /"add more mana" cards)

Blue counterspell or fuckery?

Big critters + Kruphix mana stack abuse?

All of the above?

>What's your favourite mono-color?
black or red

Like every Simic deck: Playing solitaire.

Copy / pasted the average Momir Vig deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-02-18-momir-vig-edh/?cb=1518094510

Can I make this more broken?

>To the rude dude in the last thread that was upset I nuke lands only when someone is being a salty bitch, and implied I'm some sort of despot who nukes when anyone has badwrongfun
Do you not see the irony in calling me the faggot just because I MLD salt masters? Makes me think you view MLD as badwrongfun lad.

Legendary Siren when?

Post your favorite foil, promos, or just pimped out pet cards

>blowing up your own lands with terastodon
It must be nice to play around with people that don't pack wraths.

I honestly never understood this fucking card.
You get the second weakest creature possible when your land dies. In exchange your land can't tap for colored mana and you can't play more than one of it. What's the fucking point?

Back then, I believe you could play a 2nd copy and both would have to die due to the legend rule.

So if you played two of them, you'd get 2 1/1 spirits. Still shit, but it's an explanation

>What's your favourite mono-color?
Monowhite. It's a hard life with little security and even less draw, but I love it. My two favorite decks are Bruna, the Fading Light (Angel tribal) and Odric, Master Tactician (White weenies and anthems).

Yeah because sacrificing two lands to get two 1/1s with no abilities is so good, right?

i have a psa9 yawgmoth's will. should i just crack it from the case and play it? it really doesn't have much more value being graded

Nobody's gonna tell you Kamigawa was high powered.

Even by Kamigawa standards the card was bad though.

Only ever gonna go up, your call. We're never gonna see a yawg will reprint.

fuck. i'll just buy another one. It's so cool to have, I don't wanna fuck it up

I don't think you actually know what "Kamigawa standards" are. It's not Umezawa's Jitte.

Ben-Ben accurately portrays the average poster in this thread

I mean a 4 mana creature pinger is still a hundred times better than sacrificing two lands for two 1/1s.

I built him as creature toolbox, which I think is the most common build. If you'd run a naturalize effect, instead have reclamation sage, conclave naturalists, bane of progress, Trygon Predator and molder slug. Instead of counterspells, run Mystic Snake and Draining Whelk. For draw, you can use stuff that abuses your creature-based deck like Sages of the Anima. Ramp is all dorks.

youtube.com/watch?v=iGm7lgKVa1E

Anyone watch this? The part where they talk about Bob is funny to me. My group is a bunch of spikes, and we all like to win. But, we like to just have fun when we are EDH-ing more than anything else. In the last thread, I mentioned I got killed to infect on T5 because I had landed a T2 Brago. Was I bummed that I had to sit out for a bit while they finished up that game? Yeah, but I was VERY aware of what I did, and why I needed to die. Plus, the guy who killed me was the only guy there who had SEEN my deck, so he knew what kind of bullshit I wanted to do with it. Plus, the group I play with are my very close friends, and we call each other out on bullshit all the time (albeit respectfully).

Do you guys have people who's attitude dominates a playgroup?

It's a 1/1 with a preposterously specific circumstantial ability and it doesn't even have haste. It's got two color symbols in its cost!
Ben-Ben is objectively one of the worst cards in existence. You get more mileage playing Morph creatures face-down and never flipping them.

>favorite mono color
Red. One day I'll build Neheb, i swear.
As soon as Xenagos stops being the most fun I've ever had

Does anyone have that picture of atarka surrounded by pump spells?

Fuck

Mono-white, but only because colorless isn't a color.

For foils: favourite in general is left, but I can never find a place for it in my decks. Favourite I run is right.

I also have a borderless Bruna, Fading I'm fond of. However, if I ever find someone locally to do it, so it doesn't involve any extra trouble, or if I ever get into it myself, my top pick would probably be a borderless epochrasite.

Sometimes I get called out for whining when people ignore combos that are almost done and instead swing at me across an empty board for the lulz, but then again they do that with a straight face while packing actual degenerate stuff so I never listen to them much. Out-of-game manipulative strategies are viable, I love to rant about the spirit of the format interpreting it how I see fit and I keep a lot of deck so that people don't have time to adapt and what hate to bring, swapping the most viable one using "getting bored of the previous one" as an excuse.

If you think my group doesn't deserve that, we have a person who refused to retire his Leovold deck, so he jumps on unsuspecting visitors at the LGS and challenges them to a duel commander match.

White is mostly garbage, save Sram.
Blue varies from bunk to absolutely degenerate.
Black is always a variation of Big Black Mana.
Red is frequently janky but always fun.
Green is always a variation of a Ramp deck.
Colorless is Eldrazi or Robots

My vote is for Red. It has an excellent variance of Commanders to fuck around with, comparable to Golgari. That said, I'm kinda biased because I play Feldon.

The ban list part was interesting. I remember an article in SCG about how would the game be if we had a 10 card banlist. Those thought exercise are cool, but I'd still avoid playing those cards.

That would be monoblack or golgari

Clearly the alternate art Korlash.

Sell me on a commander /edhg/. I'm normally too much of a spike for commander, but it really hits the spot when I have a deck that does a lot, even if it's not necessarily always winning. I used to have an Alesha aristocrats build that was fun, always saving something etc, but it got scrapped bc it couldn't handle the critical mass of boardwipes my old group had

>White is mostly garbage, save Sram.
>not knowing Kataki, Hokori and Thalia.

Alright, I'm going to sales pitch the fuck out of you, but I have a few questions:

>1) What's your favorite colour/colour combination?
>2) As a Spike, do you prefer going fast, or slowing things right down?
>3)Where would you play commander?

1. Red>Blue>Black>Green>White
2. I grow frustrated with Commander when I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything at every point, so fast probably
3. LGS with randos, at least at first. I moved, and I may get to a point where i have a consistent playgroup, but not yet

How much graveyard hate do you normally dedicate to your decks?

Also what are your favorite or your "go to" grave hate cards?

Pic related.

The key to being Spikey in commander is to play your hardest but maybe don't build your hardest. As such, you probably want a commander that's more fun and interactive, rather than one that's actually top-tier.

Since you liked Alesha, you'll probably be recommended Edgar, but I'd advise against: he's not as strong as the memers screeching at eminence make him out to be, and will still fall prey to a critical mass of wipes. Heck, he's less resilient than Alesha while having a more narrow construction requirement.

I might recommend Scarab God, but I got lucky and traded for the sucker at the Prerelease when he was like 8 bucks, but he's sitting at close to 30 right now which some people find a bit much for a commander.

Feldon Stax is hillarious. In fact, Feldon is pretty good however you build him.

>1 extra damage is worth the possible draw for your opponent
It's really not, especially in a format where Top is probably the most played artifact after Sol ring. Maybe in 1v1 commander, but definitely not in multiplayer.

I actually wish they had lowered his power/toughness and made him cost 2.

I don't run much since I use graveyard a lot, so cards like RIP are excluded.
gy hate is usually a silverbullet inside a commander deck, so I try to have them handy and tutoreable as pic related or Tormod's Crypt. Only one in the deck.
Sometimes a Counterspell or Stifle works perfectly as gy hate interrupting some plays

Go battlecruiser and play like kaiba.

Definitely this. Sorry, got no image of my foil on me
I really like my foil Phyrexian Reclamation as well, I can't get enough of the old border foils.

I got this senpai.

If you want to go fast, you like red the most, and you always want to accomplish something, Darietti monobrown artifacts with a splash of MLD is a top tier deck in the format. You slap down a million mana rocks, cast darietti, and Decree of Annihilation the entire table, which conveniently misses your commander, and loot yourself into a huge advantage. It's fun, it's strong, and your opponents will not be able to handle you if they haven't seen that kind of deck before.

If that's too slow, because it's mostly a stax deck with incremental advantage into game-winning nonsense, Dranlu Storm is some complicated esoteric nonsense that will win you games. You can run/tutor a doomsday package, have access to literally all the graveyard tech ever printed, and will 110% shit on anyone who hasn't seen it before, at the cost of having 10 minute masturbatory turns.

Now, if neither of those sound like fun, and you don't want to make randoms hate your guts for existing, I suggest Thraximunder. Grixis tends to have a super expensive manabase, which is why I listed it last, and I personally run both monoblue and monoblack decks to skimp on the manabase, but this deck is objectively fun. You run all the creature hate you can, force your opponents to sacrifice everything and never have a creature, then smash face with the full force of grixis. You can run it with extra combat steps, giant fuck-off pump spells, reanimator, really there are way too many options to list them all, but I promise it'll put up a good fight and go faster than the speed of light.

If THAT is still to slow, and it might be, monoblue artifact ramp is always a good bet. You slap down a billion mana rocks, hardcast Jin-Gitaxias t4 or t5, then laugh your way to the bank while you have all the counterspells in the world. I personally run this deck with Venser, and it's a stax deck, but I've hardcast blightsteel almost every game.

Heard that. So, let me make sure im getting your point on deck construction.
Basically, if I went mono-U rocks i would want to go Muzzio over Arcum, stuff like that? Feldon Reanimator seemed fun but I wasnt ever sure how often I could successfully close out the game with him, considering I get one fatty and it sacs at EOT, in a format where fatties are common. Scarab God is interesting, I do like card selection

>tfw monowhite fag
>Everyone always just spits on monowhite unless its Sram
Yall straight busta, all of you

>The key to being Spikey in commander is to play your hardest but maybe don't build your hardest.

This, the moto is "Build casually, play competitively"

Because if you build a turn 3 combo deck or what have you and just have the combo out on the board and don't use it the game feels pretty hollow. Same with those guys that could just swing for the win on their turn but hold back.

user who typed that giant paragraph here: I play Feldon.

Feldon will never win you games. Ever. You'll barely get to use him, and you'll draw a fuckload of hate. To actually win the game, you need things like where ancients tread and warstorm surge, but he is a fun commander in a casual group if you can ramp hard enough.

I'm also concerned that if I let my spike shine through I will be judged as unfun again.

First 10 minutes
>build a deck that has as objective other than winning
>Boros is bad! meme
I'm having trouble taking these guys seriously.

Do you have any sort of list for Gitaxis, user?

I just throw shit like this on when I'm Runescaping or deck building as background noise. I thought the issue with the Bob dude was interesting.

boros is obviously the weakest colors for commander. not necessairly bad, but it definitely is the worst.

That's what I was afraid of. Going into a blind group he could be problematic if I do well the first few games, but I suppose that could go for any commander

Yeah, RIP Is so good, but I have such a hard time playing it because it shuts off my own graveyard recursion.

Anybody who plays RIP - do you just build around it and not include graveyard tricks?

>I'm also concerned that if I let my spike shine through I will be judged as unfun again.
This is an actual problem. I play in a high power meta, so they're fine with me dropping static orb then hatefucking the table with a blightsteel, but that is a recipe for a bad time if your group isn't familiar with it.

I'd just run two decks, some janky green stompy deck, and whatever you actually want to play. Maelstrom Wanderer is a good middle-ground betwen fun and actually winning. Monored that isn't Darietti tends to do well, and Kazuul is a fun option. Really, just build something you know will lose, but put up a good fight. Feldon might actually be a good option, but skip the winter orb fun-times.

I have my Venser list, which could just straight swap Jin-Jan Augur Man for Venser and do just fine, if that interests you.

Really, you just want a good suite of artifact tutors. Mana crypt is expensive, but essential. Counterspell backup and stax helps a lot.

I may have sounded too pessimistic. I was actually looking for a decent commander podcast, so I'm glad it was shared. It's always good to hear different viewpoints, i'll just probably take what they say with a grain of salt.

>Anybody who plays RIP - do you just build around it and not include graveyard tricks?

Pretty much yes.

I have also put helm in graveyard decks that don't have access to good enchantment removal (grixis colors) to just kill the guy running it instead.

Try to recognize the culture of the group you're playing with and build accordingly.

Unfortunately this is apparently easier said than done as it seems to be one of the most reoccurring issues with people.

This entire post is so retarded.

Daretti is nowhere near top tier, and hell that shit is slow as most stax decks are shit with the actual mulligan rule.

Dralnu is one of the worse possible Storm commanders, being Kess, Jeleva and Yidris the best, Breya a little behind.

Thraximundar? Really? That cmc 7 fatty is like playing mono green in outsider colors. Just a fat creature with no evation or protection at all. user was asking for spikes help, not timmies help.

Here, have a list with top tier commanders
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/list-multiplayer-edh-generals-by-tier/

In Temmet, because why would you play this card otherwise.

People only have that issue on here because they're too soft to deal with it in real life.

I play with new people all the time. My deck is a hateful array of bullshit, as are the decks of two other guys in my group. New players often win, because everyone needs to dedicate everything to shutting us down, which lets a terrible durdle deck build steam after we've gassed out. Sure, the guy playing a precon loses every game if it's 1v1, but after someone does something crazy to take out 2 other players, it's a lot more evenly matched.

Really, the problem is more with whiny bitches. All these people complaining about combos have never actually experienced them, or they run actually no removal, because even scion hermit druid and foodchain tazri lose games regularly, particularly if key cards are removed.

Hey, user, you don't really know what you're talking about, but I appreciate the time you took to sperg out.

What decks do you play, or do you just tier whore for fun?

I always have at least a Relic of Progenitus and at least one other gravehate card. Then I'll tend to add more if the meta is heavy graveyard strategy.

>fucking huge elephant
>does not have trample
lame

>He thinks that list is anywhere near accurate.

No. At best the tier 1 is accurate, and if you think that this is a good source you don't know shit about EDH.

best taste ITT

You're not wrong, i just feel like there is a middleground. I agree that a lot of people just need to run more removal, but I would also say that a deck isn't fun to play against for a lot of people just because it loses sometimes. If that's the culture of the group though, then it's fine. But forcing it onto a group that doesn't appreciate it is not fine.

Yeah, who the fuck even made that list? It seems like it was just thrown together by some rando.

>Dralnu is one of the worse possible Storm commanders, being Kess, Jeleva and Yidris the best, Breya a little behind.
I see you have never played storm before. You run Dranlu for simple manafixing and running more complicated devotion without fucking yourself sideways. Have fun casting Necropotence with any of those 3+ colour monstrosities.

As soon as someone posts that list, there's no point discussing things further. They're retarded, and it's terminal.

I'm glad I didn't buy this one on impulse. The promo art was being sold for $15, now I can get it as low as $2.

Oh, there aren't any decent commander podcasts. Commander's Brew is ok? Command Zone is just inane. Especially as they've gotten more popular. They think they're experts because of their playgroup, but in reality they're not that great. They dedicated a lot of time to whether or not JLK should have attacked the way he did a certain turn, and they treated it like it was a huge decision and so on, when it was actually really easy. And the fact that they droned on and on about it for 15 minutes was just stupid.

Most decks aren't "fun" to play against, because fun is relative to letting people just do their own thing, which is generally bad magic. I have fun playing stax because it requires thought, and is a consistent challenge.

But I agree with the last point, people need to fucking discuss things more often. If you shit on a new meta, it isn't your responsibility to change things, but the groups responsibility to change things. An inbred meta will never improve if they just ban everything they don't like, but watching me drop mana crypt with force of will and mana drain backup is a great way to start an arms race, which sucks for everyone involved.

>arms race
I've had two groups that have stopped getting together after they hit that arms race peak. Feels bad, man.

Just embrace it man.

My playgroup has Grislebrand unbanned as a commander, you're also allowed to run Rofellos and black braids in the 99. The biggest thing is to make sure people are having fun, and if they aren't having fun, just make a jank budget build thing, where you like randomly roll a precon, or you draw a commander from a hat.

I really enjoyed Conquerer & Commander back when he still made episodes for it. Kind of miss it.

It would be pretty spicy in Linessa.

Mairsil?

Why is Tolarian Academy banned and not Gaea's Cradle?

Is there any secret tech for Celestial Kirin or should I just look to edhrec and gatherer for help?