>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Previously on Modern General
QUESTION OF THE THREAD
>Opponent picks up library attempting to resolve a Search effect but hasn't paid the Arbiter
>He does not immediately manipulate the library or see any extra cards, but holds it in his hand for a few seconds and looks at the Arbiter
>You have read the rules text on Leonin Arbiter aloud when the creature entered the battlefield and the opponent acknowledged when you did so
>You raise your hand and call JUDGE! while he is holding his library
Is this a legitimate angle to shoot for a GRV?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-mancer-3/?cb=1518119034.
strawpoll.me/15031459
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is this a legitimate angle to shoot for a GRV?
are you Ari Lax

No, since he could pick up his deck to move it somewhere else on the table, acknowledge Arbiter and start shuffling. Only call a judge if he turns it around and sees cards he isn't supposed to, so you have the people next to you back up your case instead of the situation being your word against theirs.

Speaking of Arbiter, man Eldrazi Taxes is fucking fun.

>Vial on 3
>Hard cast flickerwisp, target a permanent.
>Vial in Wasteland Strangler, kill a permanent AND one of their creatures.

Eldrazi dnt is the greatest against humans. I'm honestly surprised nobody played it in the pt. Maybe they're trying to promote an sfm unban.

>When you Wasteland Strangler an Ancestral Vision that was about to go off

>acknowledge Arbiter and start shuffling
no search no shuffle unless the shuffle is an independent clause right?

it's great if they're trying to hatebear you. it feels on the backfoot if they get the parish->lieutenant->fuck-you-im-not-merfolk-dont-say-that draw. i put that list with merfolk and elves in the 'i'd rather just dodge this deck' section.

i've taken to playing a copy of Mangara with my Displacers because '2C: exile target permanent' feels great.

yessss

Total blowout when you get a peezy or snap with it, although you're usually just targetting strangler on itself (which is still totally fine).

The spell resolves as normal, but instead of searching your opponent just doesn't, shuffling afterwards isn't contingent on finding something.

No, but if you're at "Professional" REL I could see why you might do it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

When are the bans announced, tomorrow?

The 12th.

Could I make Esper Processors? A lot of it is concentrated in the 3-drop slot, but it could make for good control if a balance can be struck.
>Spell Queller
>Fiend Hunter
>Kitesail Freebooter/Tidehollow Sculler
>Flickerwisp
>Relic of Progenitus
>Wasteland Strangler
>Ulamog's Nullifier

Check out the UB Eldrazi Processor deck Todd Stevens played the other week.

I love Lamp.

No because he can simply say he was straightening his deck.

?

Are there any decent deck creation guides for absolute new players?

Start with limited strategies. You're going to have a bad time trying to create a new deck in a format like Modern as a new player.

Not really, you just have to try to figure out the thought process that goes into existing top decks in whatever format you're interested in.

Step 1: Google tier 1 and 2 decks.

Step 2: Google primers few each deck you are interested in playing.

Step 3: Download free game software like Cockatrice or Xmage to build and test your decks.

Step 4: Experiment or repeat steps 1 - 3 with lower tier decks.

What is the best token strategy in the history of MtG

is it Saproling or Mentor?

Mentor sees quite a bit of Vintage play, so I'll go with that.

Fuuuuck.

At my store they only play Commander and Standard. I asked him about Pauper and Modern and he said they don't support them but there might be someone willing to play the formats.

Not hosting Pauper is fairly normal as it's the "new thing", but every store in my area has at least one Modern night.

Mentor is not a "token strategy", it is just a busted card you can win games with.

uhhm sweetie the card produces mass tokens lending itself to a token-based strategy which as you said wins the game as you overwhelm your opponents with T O K E N S you

They have one Modern event or something but he said there's not many people who play it all around.

As long as you have at least 9, it's fine.

i tried that. it wasn't super good against everything but has it's moments of brilliance. the problem is that you're essentially playing a 4-piece-combo-midrange-klunker of a deck instead of aggro-prison or straight up midrange, which are done better by other lists.

>I WIN WITH TOKENS THEREFORE MY ENTIRE PLAN IS BASED ON TOKENS
This is weak bait.

Eh. Not sure they do.

I might end up playing Standard but I'm gonna wait until Dominaria comes out if that's the case. I'm not gonna spend my money on dumb dinosaurs.

so if you win with burn cards it's not a burn strategy?

To be fair, putting a few burn cards into a deck for reach does not make for a burn strategy. Is Affinity a burn deck because it has galvanic blast?

Step 1: Netdeck a decent deck with an attractive competitive advantage.
Step 2: Tweak the deck and try something interesting.
Step 3: Try to find a new competitive advantage you can use or expand upon and incorporate it into your deck.

Example:
>netdeck UW Spirits
>find out that all of your spirits have flying, incorporate Favorable Winds
>splash in Black for discard, Push, and Lingering Souls
>take out Rattlechains, Drogskol, and a few other cards for more creatures such as Kitesail Freebooter, Judge's Familiar, Pride of the Clouds, Thunderclap Wyvren, Aven Mindcensor, and Vryn Wingmare
>you made Esper Flyers

This is just an example. I don't know if my hypothetical example is actually good, but I may test it sooner or later.

Which of the softwares do you recommend?

is RTR-THS Sphinx Rev Control a tokens deck?

thanks for being autistic instead of answering the question

Don't be silly, it was a Lands deck. I mean, the 1 Mutavault was the win condition.

it kills you with elspeth soldier tokens but is not in actual fact a tokens deck.

remember when mutavault was $40

What's the best way to bully controlfags

>Which of the softwares do you recommend?

Xmage has rules enforcement. Probably easiest for full newbs that barely know the rules.

Cockatrice is like playing table top magic in a virtual space (no rules enforcement). You will actually have to understand how the game plays if you want to do complex actions.

If you are getting into MTGO then Xmage would be fine. If you mostly play paper magic cockatrice might be a better way to practice, just because you have to do everything manually like irl.

so a token strategy is non existent in the deck?

Tron.

That is correct. What the deck is trying to do has little to do with tokens. Mentor is basically just Tendrils that doesn't have to do it all in one turn.

Ok so what is the best token deck in history

or do you need more help understanding what the words "token deck" imply

Squirrels

I'll name one, then someone else can name something better: thopter-sword.

what would the list look like because i've tried before and can't make it work

"Token deck" implies a deck built around tokens. The only decks that do that are BW ones in Modern that aren't very good, and that trash heap in Standard. GPG doesn't count because while it wins with tokens, that fact that they're tokens is irrelevant. Being 4/4s and coming back at all is the big deal. Nobody would consider Intangible Virtue in that deck.

Anyone here on Mardu Pyro? I have been playing around with this list tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-mancer-3/?cb=1518119034. Should I cut burst lightning for manamorphose? Gerry Thompson seemed to think it deserved an inclusion, and I like that it can help me hardcast souls through my own moon, but is it worth going down a 1 mana spell for my payoffs?

Manamorphose seems like a pretty free inclusion and would replace whatever the weakest card is.

it requires you to play Legacy

yes how do you make it good in legacy

Burst Lightning is definitely my worst card as of right now. Something I do think was incorrect was cutting the second terminate for another moon main. Adding a moon is good, but instant speed unrestricted removal seems really important.

Jap Jace at €59 at my LGS. Do I pull the trigger boys?

Will it retain its value if it doesn't get unbanned with the MM25 reprint?

Whens the B&R gonna drop? tomorrow?

Is it time for another super-scientific poll? I think so, yes. What cared would you like to see unbanned? strawpoll.me/15031459

If you choose other, say what it is in a reply.

Monday.
>cared
Card. I swear I'm not drinking on a Thursday afternoon.

i don't know. you're trying to make bad cards good.

start with:

4x chalice of the void
4x trinisphere
4x chrome mox
4x deranged hermit
4x ancient tomb
4x city of traitors
4x elvish spirit guide
4x lotus petal

and go from there

Oh yeah, forgot I also have a €20 coupon. €40 seems like a good investment, I'm definitely gonna buy it tomorrow.
Jace, obviously :^)

>"And then you slutty little redhead I'm going to take it out of your ass and you're going to lick it clean."

This raises the question: if Nissa x Chandra is OTP and Jace x Vraska is now canon, who is Lili supposed to shack up with?

Maybe tezzie?

I guess it's possible if she's going to be working for Bolas.

>jace is going to get unbanned when they haven’t even printed brainstorm for modern play

>What do you mean they're going to print a 4 mana creature with a Brainstorm ETB? Brainstorm isn't even Modern legal!

Jace's first ability is not-so-secretly his best. You fateseal your opponent and leave the card on top. Smugface.jpg

I said "what is the best token deck in history" i'm not the one pushing bad shit

>Nissa x Chandra is OTP
Uh?
>instant
>1 mana
>4 copies
Yep, totally the same thing.

>Uh?
Yes, obviously. It started on Zendikar and developed on Kaladesh.

DESU i was reading parts of the recent lore and there were parts of it that had me thinking "jesus christ just fuck her already"

A flustered Nissa is just going to get pushed down by impulsive Chandra one of these days.

i always had the lingering thought of what would happen if you actually boned a pyromancer, i would figure that their internal body temperature would be higher than normal, would it just blister your dick?

Why would their body temperature be higher? The further your body goes from 37.5C, the more sluggish you get. Having a higher or lower body temperature is already dangerous even if it's just a degree.

i dunno,

Have you ever seen Firestarter Rekindled?

Look I'm sorry man. This is a board full of magic and dragons and shit, I shouldn't have just brought reality into it, I'm sorry :(

They've described how her body does actually run differently. Biological issues can be explained away b/c actual magic.

regular physics or biology doesn't apply when you live in a world of magic and can turn your hair (or whole body) into fire.

I'm sure as a planeswalker and pyromancer she would be able to change her body temperature at will.

Praise be to Cat Jesus

>check mox opals price
>72$

Man, the pro tour is one hell of a drug.

Hopefully Toronto will splash some cold water on Lantern and Pyromancer.

I'm hoping for goblin lore to go down again to be honest.

Same here

Glad I bought mine back they were only $20.

Mardu bro here. 1 moon is main. I think most people at the pt expected Tron and moon is pretty good against humans.

I have been playing a 1 of hazoret main and she's really pulled her wait. Admittedly it can be clunky but there's definitely a place for her.

What UW cards are good against Humans and CoCo decks?

Supreme verdict and friends

I've used Dusk//Dawn with decent results, but I was hoping for answers that may deal with other things such as counterspells or fogs.
Is Kataki or Stony Silence worth running against Vial decks?

If vial is the only artifact then I’d say no. A few vial decks have been playing copter recently, though, and that makes a good case for stony silence. Kataki is mostly just good against affinity and lantern now.

Well, Verdict can't be countered. So, just use that if you're afraid of counterspells
Getting fogged isn't the worst thing in the world since some times you'll have a better board state and all they're really doing is slowing you down by 1 turn.
Kataki is definitely not worth it and I don't think Silence is either.

I'm talking about fogging or countering Humans and CoCo, not getting fogged or countered. I run Dispel to take care of other things, and it can easily deal with those.

Well, there's no good spells that counter creature spells except Cryptic Command.
Then again, Cryptic will do what you're looking for. Counter a creature spell then tap all their creatures.

garruk

This.
Inb4 they place again.

What's the funnest deck involving Griselbrand? That's such a cool name I wanna build a deck with him.

hatefuck of the century

GrisShoalBrand
Griselbrand reanimator featuring nurturing shoal

>try to get into magic
>play on table top simulator cause you can get all the cards
>on the 4th turn some faggot spends ten minutes explaining how his infinite combo works that gives him infinite mana of all types
>removes all cards from the game and forces me to kill myself with a card he gave me

The fact that infinites are allowed is the most bull shit mechanic. On top of that people spend thousands of dollars to build like 5-6 decks which are "meta" or whatever. I like magic magic as a game but spergs totally ruin it. Im gonna learn how to play commander instead.

>fun is bullshit

If you are playing some casual shit then don't expect randoms to play fair. If you want fun casual games you will have to find good friends or at the very least a fair group to play with.

Cards cost big money because there are people willing to pay up, if you are not that person then the game doesn't need you.