System recommendations

So Veeky Forums I've got a bit of a desire to play a campaign about aerial warfare, specifically involving modern jet fighters. Does anyone have any good recommendations for systems and are willing to share their experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/#3qet8roo9ndc4
1d4chan.org/wiki/Mercenaries_and_planes
wargamevault.com/product/232769/Missile-Threat-Modern-Air-Combat
thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/air-combat-bosnia/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Warbirds!
mediafire.com/#3qet8roo9ndc4

Link was dead, so I had to search around a bit, but thanks user. Do you know of something on the opposite end that's a lot crunchier?

Bumping hoping for more suggestions.

You might try AirWar: C21. It has decent mechanics and stats for a good variety of planes. As a war game, it doesn't really have enough for a fleshed out campaign though (no character sheets, no plot hooks, no hardware or support costs). I also don't know if it will be immersive from a pilot's perspective since flight and combat are basically third person. It's pretty crunchy though, and if you can fill in the bare spots, it's a solid option.

Also obligatory:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Mercenaries_and_planes

Planes thread?

What a conveniently timed thread, I was looking for something to convert to my Star Wars campaign, where the PCs have an aside as a flight of TIE Bomber crew

How about non-obvious plane pics for Ace Combat type settings?

This is the Scaled Composites ARES, Burt Rutan's own jet attack plane.

Link is indeed dead. Where did you find a functioning one?

I'm excited for AC7 too, user.

This is the F-4X, developed to counter MiG-25 spyplanes. It adds two huge water tanks to allow for pre-compression water injection cooling, increasing thrust by lowering the temperature of (and thus condensing) air being forced through the engine. This made a Phantom that could push Mach 3 even though it still had the aerodynamics of a school bus.

Evidently the project was cancelled not because it didn't work, but rather because the Pentagon was not thrilled with the idea of offering a plane potentially capable of keeping pace with an SR-71 for foreign sale, and because the Air Force was not thrilled with having an update of the old F-4 that was capable of leaving their new F-15 in the dust.

This is the F-104S-ASA, a Starfighter kept in service by the Italians for really way too long, fitted with improved avionics and the ability to carry AIM-7 or Aspide semi-active missiles.

Forgot pic.

Post more planes.

You could try Missile Threat, covers a wide range of aircraft from 1950s to 2000s and with a few prototypes like the Su-47 in there.

We're working on the mercenary air campaign rules at the moment - the mechanics are done, just filling in a bunch of D66 tables for random aircraft generation (allowing you to randomly generate available aircraft on the market and enemy aircraft in-game)

Missile Threat can be got here:
wargamevault.com/product/232769/Missile-Threat-Modern-Air-Combat

A recent AAR with the system:
thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/air-combat-bosnia/

>The war ended before the Reich could finish developing their coal powered ramjet fighter.

Not op but you lads are my fucking Messiahs, I've recently wanted to run an air combat related campaign really badly but I didn't know of any systems. Thank you

Look into battletech classic. And the associated mechwarrior RPG.

Personally I love the space and air combat rules and my experience with the RPG wasn't bad. Though it felt the system was designed to blunder from combat to combat

Unironically Palladium may work, as Kevin Sembieda is autistic enough to break down things by system for HP/damage reduction/armor stuff. That wouldn't be a bad system to base things off of.

Glad to see the thread caught on while I was asleep. I'll look into it anons.

Googled it, someone had a link up in the curated PDF share thread on this very board.

Always glad to introduce people to different systems, especially decent ones that aren't DnD or "obvious DnD clone"

I've got a lot of systems that aren't DnD or DnD like, but none really work for planes, mostly all infantry or sword stuff. I've got In Harm's Way: Wildblue which looks pretty good, besides a few egregious exclusions, but I heard it's not the best system around, so I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any other tried and true systems that work great for air combat. one might even say Ace Combat

Not exactly modern, BUT battletech has rules for Aerospace Fighters, they're like jets AND space fighters, combined