Korean culture stuff

I need lots of pictures and information on pre-WW2 Korea for a setting. Can you guys help?

Anything is good, whether explaining cultural stuff like Hwarangs or korean shamanism, or the disney park stuff like Gumiho.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_TsZZ8qcvks
youtube.com/watch?v=7PBIHkKi0wM
korea.net/NewsFocus/Culture/view?articleId=113248
youtube.com/watch?v=vLx3PuNcSIc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

can't help you there, my only exposure to pre-modern korea is the pseudo joseon dynasty from analog a hate story. sorry.

Veeky Forums would probably actually be helpful and offer a ton of stuff before they start arguing.

Korean here.

The problem with Korean history is that it's pretty much full of bullshit by Korean historians that love inflating and changing up history to make it look good. They along with Chinese and Japanese historians love bickering and putting up their own biased sources. Korean military, for the most part throughout history, was pretty shit. But considering this is fantasy stuff and it's not always bad to make things cooler, a few things you want are

>Turtleship being the most iconic. Fireproof ships with outerproof spiked metal covers to prevent boarding. Used cannons and long range to defeat Japanese ships
>Hwacha: rocket-propelled machines that shot 100+ arrows like a mortar. never historically show to be useful, but cool concept nonetheless.
>Hwarang: cultured warriors that are historically overhyped just like samurai. regardless, depictions of beautiful, educated, elite, and well-dressed skilled archers on horseback make a cool concept
>Goguryeo wars with China: Korean depictions that it had a heavy cavalry force where the soldiers were armed in blue scale armor and horned helmets to scare the enemy. See: youtube.com/watch?v=_TsZZ8qcvks for obviously biased Korean drama about Goguryeo wars
>Korean infantry during the Japanese wars were made up of soldiers in literal paper armor and light tridents. You can flavor the infantry as light armored spearmen
>during the Japanese wars, irregular militia were a huge prominent force in trying to repel back the invasion. you can flavor your setting with a citizenship that are nationalistic and willing to conduct guerilla warfare or join up with the local military when times are tough

Veeky Forums is generally less reliable than Herodotus.
It's less of an issue here because of how unreliable ALL sources on the matter are, but maybe ask Veeky Forumshwg/ first.

While I know nothing about its mythology, from a Chinese perspective I think Korea is a very interesting setting because it had to play off Chinese and Japanese (and, later, Mongolian and Manchu) interests against each other for so long while preventing either from being outright annexing it through a mix of warfare and obeisance.
While Vietnam and Mongolia have had periods of China occupation, Korea has been significantly more successful than either in preserving its autonomy if not its suzerainty.
While I don't know enough about it myself beyond what is easily accessible on Wikipedia, the Korean Three Kingdoms period seems particularly interesting because of the undertone of Chinese and Japanese involvement in the feud between three Korean kingdoms. Comparably better-known is Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea, though the sides are much more clear cut in that war.

See this movie, quite enjoyable:
youtube.com/watch?v=7PBIHkKi0wM

The only things Veeky Forums can't provide at all are good advices. One shall have the rest of the information no matter the cost.

korea.net/NewsFocus/Culture/view?articleId=113248

Neat.

Is there anything you could tell me about said religious practices? Even the theme park version? Like Japanese media will at least go "muh shrines with shrine maidens"
Does Korea have anything like that or what?

All I have is some costuming notes. You'll find more if you reverse image search these, I just got the ones I was likely to use while costuming characters.

I feel bad for the Koreans. Every time they almost had a culture, China or Japan came in and roflstomped them.

Should have more, but fuck if I can find them.

Korean mythology consists of national legends and folk-tales which come from all over the Korean Peninsula. The oldest records of them can be found in Samguk Yusa (written in the 13th century by Buddhist monk Iryeon) and Samguk Sagi (written in the 12th century by government official Kim Busik). These two history books are based on much older records that are currently lost.

Although these two books records stories of Korean mythology, their tone is quite different: Samguk-sagi is quite fact-oriented, and although it lists the founding myths of the Three Kingdoms of Korea (Goguryeo, Baekje and Silla), the author — a Confucianist scholar — considers them as 'not to be believed'. Samguk Yusa, on the other hand, mostly deals with supernatural stories. This is the book where the founding myth of Gojoseon (the legendary first kingdom of the Korean people, now believed to be the real life Bronze-age kingdom that later Korean dynasties are stemmed from), and folktales, legends and myths of the later periods are recorded.

However, most of the folklore were passed down by by spoken word.

This is a pyeonjeon, or "baby arrow." It's basically a small, light dart, like a crossbow bolt, that you can shoot from a bow at full draw using an overdraw device. This gives you an arrow that flies further, faster, and with a flatter trajectory, very useful for out-ranging opponents armed with bows or early firearms.

youtube.com/watch?v=vLx3PuNcSIc

>soldiers in literal paper armor and light tridents
Go on. Paper-clad soldiers sounds like a neat concept.

Korea seems to have the hardest-on for archery