WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=hQGiFWwZJno

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B014GWCLFO/ref=asc_df_B014GWCLFO5364141/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B014GWCLFO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167130062341&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7917611068587921863&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030087&hvtargid=pla-304494206376
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

couple of questions

what is the best for a set of paint brushes

and how well would testors enamel paint work as a good base?

>what is the best for a set of paint brushes

Everybody always says Winsor & Newton Series 7. They're $20US each, though, so if you're just starting out or are really rough on your brushes, you might want to look for something cheaper to practice with.

>and how well would testors enamel paint work as a good base?

It looked shitty in 1990, and will still look shitty today. Pic related.

holy shit, is that all enamel?

>something cheaper

like what?

>holy shit, is that all enamel?

Yep. I can tell you specifically that the red is Testors Flat Red enamel. These models have looked this pathetic for over 25 years.

Windsor and Newton Cotman series brushes are good for beginners - they're cheap but reasonable quality. Enamel should be avoided, as the other user said - goes on thick and shiny, other paints will likely have some trouble adhering over it, and it is extremely tough to remove

Finished my Raptors

And I reworked some of my icons. Here is a groupshot. Never too many icons!

absurdly sick. great oldschool vibes. the lightest highlights on the armor trim look a bit shaky in places but otherwise groovy. love the uriah jacobus

Big resin tits right in my face

>like what?

I'm partial to Royal and Langnickel Zen brushes. They're decent quality, yet inexpensive enough (especially if you buy them at Michaels with a 40% off coupon) you can abuse them until they fall apart, throw them away, and get yourself another.

If you're buying open stock from a store, though, be sure to inspect the tip. Other customers or their grubby children may have molested some brushes into a ruined state; don't buy those ones.

how about this?
amazon.com/dp/B014GWCLFO/ref=asc_df_B014GWCLFO5364141/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B014GWCLFO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167130062341&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7917611068587921863&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030087&hvtargid=pla-304494206376

You can take some hog or horses brushes if you do not want to start with the kolinski ones (W&N series 7, Rapherl 8xxx, etc.) or even some other kind of sable (the red one is good enough and way cheaper than the kolinski)

I cannot stress hard enough that sintetic (nylon) brushes are not made for acrilic paints (that curl you get at the tip after some use? it is because nylon is not immune to thinners).

You can spend $3 per sintetic brush and thinking it is still cheaper than gettin a 15 or 20 $ for a true kolinski or $10 for a red sable one, boy you are in for a surprise the first time you are going to try the natural ones.

If treated well, not used for the first coat (or god forbid, for drybrushing), not left abandoned on the bristles side and throughly cleaned and re-sharpened (with the soap) after each use, a good sable brush will last years keeping an extremely sharp tip you can only dream about to obtain on a sintetic one.

Nothing beats mother nature.

I’ve added more birbs
This time ogrebirbs and knightlybirb

No, you should look for a sable brush. Those are synthetic, and are fine if you're just starting, but a good sable brush taken care of is way better.

Damnit

Wip Magnus,just working on armor now, ignore base,it is shit and I'm re doing it.

>Tfw can't finish a fucking army.

My local artists store carries Escoda Reserva Kolinsky sable brushes for $12. I use a 1 filbert and a 2 round for all my painting.

A little "dollar store mini" i'm slipshodding together

Did you take that picture with a "dollar store camera"?

Hello /WIP/!
I just finished my first sister of the Thorn's stag!
I followed the painting guide in the box but I find the shadows in the white section to be too harsh. Do you have any advises?
Critisism welcome!

>That Jacobus icon
Heh.

I need to dig out my old (~2000) Sisters iconbearers and touch 'em up.

The blending on the antlers is really top-notch.

As to the shadows on the white ... is there another colour there, or did you just go straight to bright white? I imagine that might be hard to convey with a photograph, but I'd expect a work-up from something off-white with the brightest white (like White Scar) only on the highlights.

According to the box, what is the basecoat for those parts supposed to be?

if we can't see what's going on we can't give you feedback either.
It work better to photograph from a little further back and then cropping the image. Also avoids lens related distortions of closeup photography.

those birbs look N O I D E D

Hi there wip I was wondering if I'm highlighting correctly. First model and not sure

Penal dudes and shouty man, meat sheilding for Fancy dudes and shouty man.

How good are the Mordian models? I always wanted some but I'm sceptical of the quality.
Also why are they all grey haired? I doubt anyone can survive in the guard that long.

Just baseing to go. What is WIP working on right now?

I don't really have much experience with metal models, but I would say they're fine. A better painter than me could really make them shine, I'm sure. And I just like grey and white hair lol Sure, like you said you're not going to see much of that in the fighting ranks, by it's how I like it.

I don't know what you mean by "correctly" but it looks decent. maybe go up for a brighter highlight on extreme edges?

Thanks! I still have the spikes and buckles to do and will need to do the edge of the spiked plate thing as well. Just cause the paints I used (followed the citadel app) seem a bit too contrasting for a subtle and effective highlight as well as trying to find the right spots to highlight

the transition between colors isn't blended, but that's standard for the "GW" style of edge highlighting. photo is a bit dark tho

Those banners are extremely effective, great job. I'd love to purge your army in person. Did you use a brush for the text or something else like a micron pen?

do you not even look at your photos before you upload them? that ones awful too

Well, my camera is about as shitty as the product itself

Do you see how the "alt" key has detail? It is in focus. Put the model there.

no, you're just bad at taking photos.
Put a piece of white paper behind the mini and take the photo from a distance

Well... more in focus

I have no images, but so far I have to do the following
>finish highlights on 10 fire warriors and then base them
>all the highlights on a Ghostkeel and basing
>all the highlights on a Crisis suit and basing
>All the painting and basing on a Commander
>All the painting and basing on 2 crisis suits
>All the painting on 20 or drones
>Priming six xv25's
>Priming 3 crisis suits
>Priming a few more fucking drones
>Priming a Hammerhead
>Building a Hammerhead
Got quite a backlog but now I'm mostly focusing on the Fire Warriors because I always have a great time when working on the little fuckers
For some reason you get the most personality out of the little guys, instead of larger project

Starting reposing a Contemptor. Will finish it after I get back from my week away from home. Pretty excited for this project, I have another Naught waiting for me, I just need to recast a foot.

Working on getting this boy painted for my Exorcists so I can use him as a multi-role Captain, psyker, or chapter champ. Up next I gotta assemble my box of vanguard veterans.

I can notice how I've improved since I started painting about a year ago but I feel like I'm getting stuck. Am I missing anything that I should consider if I want to keep on improving?

Some of my SS finished up, only a few photos

From what I can see, not really.
I know what you mean, you kinda hit a plateau when you basically can paint stuff as good as Duncan's (for lack of a better image). I'd say the next step is to try and learn wet blending, maybe?

Gonna try and get Valoris primed and done whenever the weather breaks.

>want to start a German army for Bolt action because their camo is cool as shit
>can't paint camo patterns that small
JUST

>Helmet
>No huge ass feathers
Patrician taste user. Mine will be the same, mayyyybe with a different helmet, I haven't tried them yet.

needs some gang tattoos/scars etc.

they look good otherwise though

Hey guys. Getting 2 razorwings in and I'm pretty excited. I made some basing terrain for the flyers. I plan on one base to have the wounded guardsmen look at a dark eldar kabalite slowly walking towards him threateningly with a giant cleaver while his friend keeps guard. Still gotta strip those guys so not shown yet. Other bits will be added on when I get the base.
How do these bits look?
Oh and has anyone made tiles out of plasticard? I wanna make a plaza so I don't want to use only sand

Also, does this look too dumb or should I keep it?

>FELLOW CUSTODES THIS EARTH IS UNSTABLE
>HELP ME BROTHERS I AM TIPPING

That said, I concur with other user. Looks great with the helmet and without the bigass feathers.

yes

Any tips?

Hold me brothers
My time is now

They look like Star Wars rebellion pilots.

Yep, I can see that. But to me, their jumpsuits and a flak vest.

Godspeed user. On the plus side, you shouldn't need to pin it.
Still have flashback from the metal furioso dreads, jesus.
How's the cast? It looks pretty good.

>They look like Star Wars rebellion pilots.

That's impossible, even for a computer!

Just waiting on his glue to dry now
Big papa has risen

Nearly done my custom dorf Celesant Prime, finishing the dude on top and final highlights and touch ups (skulls ect) need feedback for tweaks, should I add any skulls/ grass on the altar?
C&C wanted

The cast is godlike
Usually forgeworld casts are wonky in my experience but this one is fucking spectacular.

Had to hold multiple parts together to get it to fit just right but it was not very difficult because all of the parts are relatively large and simple. Very very fun to pose with plenty of alternate poses i could have given him.

10/10 dread, would def recomend to any red scorpion player

The evolution of a space marine

hey man, one question: how do you highlight camo?

And here are my other dreads for a size comparison.

What is everyone working on tonight?

>UNPAINTED MODERU
>SHAME AND DISGRACE ON FAMIRY.

Treelord Ancient done except for the base. I have no idea what I want to do anymore for the base, I was going to do texture paint + grass/rocks but I'm not sure anymore.

I enjoy assembling and collecting the warhams more than painting

I still love painting but my painting setup has gotten too cluttered and theres a lot i need to clean before i can resume painting dudes again. Its easier to sit on the living room floor and glue guys together

I'm working my way through a moscow mule tonight, but I plan on working on painting some of my CSM conversions over the weekend

Well, I started painting a standard golden custodes. Finished the armor, thought it looked solid. Then I went outside in daylight - turns out I don't have enough light in here, because fuck me it was sloppy.
I think my eyes are starting to go to shit too, because I thought I was being careful with the highlighting. Although, having to paint gold, washing gold, painting more gold, highlighting gold, and then specular highlighting more gold...it's all blending together and my brain is full of gold.

I want to convert some old Brettonian knights into blood knights, does anyone have some good pics or advice I can follow? I figure I can change a few heads and maybe use greenstuff to change the armour a bit

Finishing up a color test for my scions

Better, but try getting the camera to focus on the model and holding it steady.

Crackle medium is interesting.

i'm using my phone and it's a cheap piece of crap, has no focus function. sorry for not having a camera.

don't see why you need to look closer, you can tell how shitty it is from this res

Thx :)
For the "white" I did:
- Rakath Flesh base
- palyd Witch Flesh all over
- Seraphim Sepia ink for the shadows
- Back to Palyd
- White Scar as highlight

The Sepia seems way to dark for this, how can I fix this for the next Stag? (thin the ink, no ink at all?)

Know your pain user... Serious case of hobby ADD... 4 open armies, all heavily converted and base-coated, then get excited with a new idea...

We dont want to look CLOSER, we just want to see it in focus. It's blurry as fuck because you're TOO close. Just back it up a little bit and try again until its clearer. With how large the photo comes out as, even if the mini was half the size in frame but focused, we could all get a better look at him. No one cares you're phone is crappy, and no one is trying to shit on you for your paint job, just listen and try again. You have people genuinely trying to help you and not shitting on you for poor photos, feel lucky and try again.

Fantastic job overall, but the white doesn't convey the model well at all. It looks way too flat. Try building up from a darker white/grey to give more depth.

anybody use hobby lobby for paints
assuming they carry the same brands, what acrylic paint do you buy there?
and what top coat doesn't mess with acrylic

Looks pretty good user. I'd be happy with that.

If you feel like it needs more, perhaps a dark green drybrush in a few places on the stone to give a mossy appearance. Also a glaze on the flames underneath to add some more depth and smoother transition from the blue to white.

All in all though, great work.

Water looks great on Sylvaneth (I still hate using that... They'll always be treemen to me) bases. I have almost a dozen treemen of the different flavours (including conversions for Adanhu and Coeddil) and a stream or creek flowing by looks awesome and is easy too. Build up a creek bed with anything (greenstuff, putty, plaster, whatever) paint the creek itself "water colours" then fill it with crystal clear silicone. Apply liquid water effect on top of the silicone once dry and you're done.

Why can't I paint for shit?!? I keep fucking up the armor or something, I think

g'day cunt

Thank you!
I will try to take a better picture because the white is not really white actually but Pallyd witch flesh

Valkiaanon from the last thread. The spear was horribly fucked up because Finecast. But, finally finished her. Had to convert a dark eldar scourge spear to make a replacement though.

Working on the yellow plates on his body

Some progress on my Technomancer.

Would it be possible to build a Shadowsword/Basesword with the gun casemate on the front (like a Jadgpanther or pic related, an ISU-152) without it looking like shit?

Tried red and blue washes on gold.
Blue was a bit too weak, may need to retry.
Sepia over the red resulted in what I guess you could call an intensified Reikland effect.

Might retry blue. And experiment with thinned gold layers over dark to see if that gives an interesting effect.
Research ultimately to benefit Custodes.