/5eg/: More Deadly Terrasque Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What’s your most forgettable race and why?

Firbolgs. I’ve played probably 60+ campaigns in my life and never ventured alongside one nor has any DM utilized them.

They’re literally just bigger Wood Elves

>What’s your most forgettable race and why?
100 meter dash

Would a balloon even work, with its gravity aura?

it doesn't have a gravity aura in 5e.

Any small race because it just version 400 of "small eccentric, rude shit that wants to be taken seriously". Fucking HATE small races, they should just be removed.

Also, Firbolgs, genuinely never seen anyone play a Firbolg in my 20 years of tabletop.

>Firbolgs
I legit forgot they existed. They're like gnomes, but worse.

Out of the PHB I'd say Dragonborn. While they seem statistically powerful, I can never imagine being a hulking, weird, lizardy beast that for some reason fits warlocks or paladins best. I always prefer Half-elves or Halflings for charisma classes and Half-Orcs or Dwarves for strength classes.

Outside of the PHB I'd say the Genasi's. I think we have enough elemental flavored races and class options not to have stupid genies that are from Avatar as race choices.

I use them for traveling merchants as they can enter any area safely most the time.

What's the point in having dragonborn AND half-dragons?

Yeah, Dragonborns are definitely awkward and unweildy. Shouldn’t be a PHB core race, in my opinion

>dragonborn
>statistically powerful

So you can be a dragonborn half dragon dragon sorc. Dont you like dragons in your dungeons and dragons games?

Why shouldn't I do that...
Already made all monster cards from all official wizards books... yes adventures too...
~990 cards

I meant in terms of class synergy, they fit paladins and warlocks great and have a free ranged AoE AND free instant elemental resistance to one type. They're not a bad race on paper, but I can't imagine being one.

That is utter insanity.
Do you maybe have a convenient link for that?

And yes I am looking to profit off of your torment. Sorry not sorry.

Which is why rats make the best companions. There are so few situations that rats would be out of place enough to raise suspicions. I mean sure you need to worry about cats but who cares if you need to banish the rat and resummon it.

Playing a dragonborn paladin in a game currently, the breath weapon is garbage past level 3 and I've not used it since level 2. All you really get is +2 STR/+1 CHA and resistance to a damage type.

I'd hate them more if they weren't so flavorless. They're just... nothing.

But you can't really blame them for that, since they pretty much eviscerated their lore and used the steaming heap of fluff and lower intestine to make Goliaths.

An AoE is an AoE, while you can certainly do more damage to one or 2 enemies, can you weaken a whole group all bunched up or a hallway full? Better than tossing javelins for a quick ranged pot-shot too.

I'm just saying it's better than a tool proficiency or some stupid extra languages ribbon.

Please tell me you did that with a script and not manually.

>So you can be a dragonborn half dragon dragon sorc. Dont you like dragons in your dungeons and dragons games?
>Not being a werebear bugbear bear totem barbearian moon druid in bear form.
pleb

>ever letting your PCs be werecreatures
Yikes.

why stop there?

New to dnd and I just looked up 5e tarrasque. How the hell are you supposed to kill this thing without taking heavy losses

>level 5
>can hit two enemies for 2d6 fire damage
>can hit two enemies for 2d6+4 slashing damage with a greatsword
gee wonder which one I'm gonna fucking do

Of course... not...

Well mix...
I am using Magic Set Editor 2.
But of course I needed to make my own custom style and all codes, to work.
And ofc it is copy paste with heavy spell checking and other things...

I didn't make only monster cards...

fly.

Group of Fighters on magic carpets using bows and arrows.

it's actually wimpy compared to older editions

What are peoples' opinions on starting a campaign with a deliberate character grinder? As in, having everyone roll up 3 or so characters and having an intentionally extremely deadly session 1 to thin the herd.

I'm preparing to run Tomb of Annihilation and the setup would be that instead of having the questgiver just teleport the party to Chult, they'd be traveling by airship. The airship would be attacked by a large group of pterafolk (pic related), who would grab people, drop them to their death, and ultimately crash the ship. Characters who survive the pterafolk fight and the airship crash would then have a dangerous trek through the jungle to reach the city they were headed to.

If anyone has done something like this in 5e, I'd love to hear about how it went or if there's anything to avoid.

you must be new, because the Tarrasque is a massive pushover. All you need to do is NOT jump head first into it's mouth.

Look up older editions and realize this thing is bitch nigga compared to what it used to be.

Are you fucking retarded? A level 1 aaracokra can kill it with acid splash and enough time.

I would start a campaign with that intention, but if the characters my players rolled wound up being really cool and fun then I'd ease off the gas and not intentionally murder them.

My inability to see beyond big brawls is going to get so many of my pc's killed

Don't do this if you don't know your players that well. Some people would obviously get upset losing character after character, which can make things less fun for all involved.

Also don't expect players to dive into roleplay if they don't expect their character to last more than a couple of days.

I like minis and I am not a poorfag. However, I am also not a fucking millionaire and don't want to pay WoTC crazy prices for random minis from those booster packs. How do I get Tomb of Annihilation minis without selling a fucking kidney?

Well, yeah, to clarify, my group as it currently stands is composed entirely of people I know well. I don't think any of them will mind this too much, and I plan to warn them that they may lose characters fast in the first session. And to be clear, I don't plan on running the entire campaign like this, although I think it'll be plenty deadly even going by-the-book.

>Spell immunity of 3rd and lower
>Legendary resistance 5/day
>Advantage on saving throws
>Heals 5d4 as a Legendary Action
>Breath Weapon with range of 300ft, recharge 4-6
>Dash as a bonus action
Do these add-ons fix the Tarrasque?

The ToA board game has a bunch of relevant ok-ish quality minis for a reasonable price compared to typical mini prices (aka highway robbery). You also get a board game, not that you'll ever play it if you also play D&D.

>Rogue Half-Elf can be proficient in half of the total skills
>Has Expertise on two at level 1
Fair and balanced???

a lot of the problems with the Tarrasque can be solved by giving it regeneration.

>Tarrasque is used as a mobile base of a lot of angry goblins with longbows
what now

They should just let the Tarrasque be full magical Godzilla already, its dumb that they want to keep it as a big dumb range-less tortoise

Well if your players are somewhat creative or if you don't bullshit your way out of them using tactics you should be fine. Not every fight requires a head first suicide charge, sometimes it's better to avoid it all together.

Too easy to clear the gobs with a Fireball or two. If you're going to fix the Tarrasque you have to make it a threat for high level parties, not just stop low level cheese.

Give it lunchable spines as a ranged attack and some amount of regeneration, boom fixed.

Just give his tail 600 feet range and add "if you are in the air, you drop up to 500 feet down", and maybe indeed add the bonus action dash. That way it's not-shit, and you can throw in some stupid regeneration to make it fearsome.

?

Making a Arcane Trickster. Starting at level 3.
What level 1 spells should I take?

Shield, Absorb Elements, Thunderous Smite, Wrathful Smite, Searing Smite, Dissonant Whispers, Zephyr Strike, Protection from Evil and Good, Armor of Agathys, Shield of Faith.

Any of these are solid picks.

most of those are also NOT on the list of spells AT's can take.

Don't make me cry.

Then just pick the ones that are.
It's just a compiled list I had of good 1st level spells for melee-focused characters.

Im making a dumb dungeon
r8 my windmill interchange maze

So the Ring of Winter prevents divination magic and scrying magic from being used on it, does this also include the mystic ability Nomadic Mind?

>You know three Ist.level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the enchantment and iIIusion spells on the wizard spell list.

>Shield, Absorb Elements, Thunderous Smite, Wrathful Smite, Searing Smite, Dissonant Whispers, Zephyr Strike, Protection from Evil and Good, Armor of Agathys, Shield of Faith.
Only Shield, Absorb Elements, and Protection from Evil and Good are on the wizard spell list, none of them are evocation or illusion.

So is every PC with 20 strength super ripped or what?

It wouldn't make sense for them to not be muscular or whatever but I guess I don't picture every single level 6 fighter being like, fuckhuge.

he's basically kenshiro from Fist of the NOrth Star. or All might if you like shitty anime.

No, but mystics aren't but mystics are broken anyway.

>none of them are evocation or illusion.
I meant enchantment or illusion, but whatever

I guess my question is...
Shield or Absorb Elements?

>fist of the north star
>or shitty anime
>or

If they're human? Probably. The physiology of other races might be different, denser muscle or whatever bullshit.

pick utility spells, AT's are good enough in combat, without magic. Though when I made one I took Catapult, it's a fun spell but not often used. good for hurling bags of ball bearings or inhaled poisons.

It's a fantasy game, you can make them look however you want. Justify it by them being the martial equivalent of a dragon sorc or something. E.g. " my great great great grandpa shagged a dragon and now I can squat 650 while looking like I skipped leg day."

Have we already pirated the DMGuild homebrew?

I want more defence because 14/15 ac is shit tier.

If I'm understanding this correctly
>Only way to change color-paths is through blue circle rooms
Then the exit cannot be reached.
If I'm wrong, please explain how this map works.
When two paths of the same color intersect, do they form a crossroads?

>we
Yes, OTHER PEOPLE have pirated it, you leech. It's garbage.

Also, after 3 levels rogue should I go 2 levels wiz bladesinger?

>I want more defence because 14/15 ac is shit tier.
you're an Arcane Trickster, if you're attacked at all, that is a failure on your part.

It's only partially garbage.
I'm playing a Dragoon fighter soon and it seems like a lot of fun.

Rogues are already the kings of utility, user. Two more aren't exactly going to tip the scales into unbalanced territory

Can't help being hit by a save spell or ranged attack.

Aight, I though the class names looked quite mediocre but figured I'd ask.

you're not Arcane Trickstering hard enough.

>40ft movement with mobile
>move in, booming blade, dash away
>still hit by 90-120ft ranged attack

How do you rule when players want to attack one particular part of an enemy, like "I try to cut off his hand" or "I try to shoot him in the eye"?
I usually rule that if they roll high enough, depending on how hard it is to hit, they can do it, but otherwise it just hits normally.
But I know other people rule that it's a harder roll than normal and if they don't make it, they miss completely.
What do you think?

hide in a fog cloud

Its a little hard to understand because I made it in paint. The way it works is each letter connect to the same letter. if you go through A on the left, you come out of A on the right. The paths do not cross except at the letters and blue rooms.

it's called cover and concealment. Learn to use it.

Won't work when I have to concentrate on shadowblade when I get 2nd level spells.

Damage and hit points are an abstraction. I assume when players attack an enemy that they're trying their best to kill the enemy already. If players really want to do something special for a specific reason (not just more damage) then I'll let them spend inspiration to perform a special attack of whatever kind and if it hits I give the enemy a relevant saving throw to prevent the secondary effect.

I've played an AT from level 1 to 10, and can count how many times I have been hit by ANYTHING on one hand. Stop standing out in the open with your dick flapping in the wind.

Mostly I just change up the description of the hit.
If they roll very high I may give an extra effect.

hide behind a minor illusion

What do you do when there's no cover?

>Not murdering enemies while standing out in the open daring them to hit you, dick stiff in the wind.
barbarian 4 lyfe

play with a better DM.

Ohhh I understand it more now.
Are the blue and red dead ends at E intentional?

But thats conc-
Wait a second. It's not?
Damn, can't believe I didn't think of that.
Wonder how many DMs would allow it though.

Meant for

If your DM doesn't allow it, he's a cunt.

But if they're deliberately aiming for an eye, for instance, is there anything mechanically to adjust?

Is there a cheaper way to get hunters mark as a fighter than dipping 2 into ranger? Anything else that adds damage on weapon hit is also a consideration. I want to make a dual wielding champion that just is literal death in dwarf form.

Dip into hexblade for the curse as well as Hex.

Well you could apply penalty to perception/hit for a while from a nasty cut over the eye or a handicap to hit is you give them a whack across the back of their hand.

Wouldn't make it a full disarm/cripple/permanent blinding as there abilities and spell to that effect, but rather a reward for roleplaying the combat and being descriptive.