Discuss

Discuss

fuck off jeremy

the last one is legitimate

in character generation for example, sometimes you just want to roleplay a character you think you'll have fun exploring. It may not be the best min-maxed for winning because winning isn't the point.

.t person who rolled up a rogue psyker liable to roll high on perils of warp each time they use a power

You sound very upset about someone losing to you. You should work on that.

Not every game needs to be a competition. Sometimes you play because you just enjoy seeing the game unfold, sometimes you play because you like the company.
Spikefags are a cancer upon every table they sit at.

in a card game tournament, there are always several elements of randomness that are almost entirely out of your hands. Denying their existence is as bad as bitching about bad draws.

>everyone should guess exactly how I want them to play xD
Wrong.

Gee, I wonder who's behind these posts?

>MtG buddies

Beat me to it

Butthurt spikefag detected.

This thing took me years to go over. Till I noticed that in english there is one word for playing games and the same word for playing pretend, like playing house etc It is interesting, I think how your own language and culture, can influence the way you think. The term gamer/player in my own language has the some core as the word winning. the term prize too. Even end goal has the same core. I now understand the difference, but still don't get it how it is suppose to work. Either you play to win, because playing to lose is insulting both to yourself and your opponent, or your there to spend time. But if your spending time not trying to win, then why the hell spend cash on cards/models/RPG books etc? Just take the same money and spend it on vodka and food, money much better spend IMO.
Does the play to not win come from participation prizes thing west has for it kids? Because I know a lot of people from Syberia and east Asia, and I know that to win is almost the most important thing for them.

Discus.

Discus.

There's nothing to discuss as that text is entirely correct.

It's very clearly not directed towards role playing games or role players, but exclusively towards competitive card games where scrubs make these excuses all the time.

I think that has less to do with language, and more with the fact that you need validation even in leisure activities.
Your value as a person is not measured in how many times you win at something, especially not in kiddies card games or pretend.
Take magic. It's a game with thousands of moving parts, it's like clockwork. Sometimes you just want to experiment with such clockwork, see how it unfolds. Are you trying to accomplish the goal of winning the game? Probably, yes. But that is not necessarily the thing that drives you.
I sure didn't grow up in a time and place where we had participation prizes or stuff like that. But I don't feel the need to measure my value as a person in the results of the activities I do for leisure.

I've got a friend who was a spikefag but they learned that winning every game with their overtuned deck in what is basically kitchen table magic isn't fun for use, so now he ignores his easy wins unless one of us builds up a massive board.

Can anyone fill a non-burger in.

What does Trump and Haïti have to with Veeky Forums and Magic The gathering?
Because this reads like a string of random things. "due to the socioeconomic decline of East Asia we're going to poop on volleyball fields"

I find hilarious how equal both sides of the coin are.

I think there's an important distinction in the attitude taken in the last argument. If it's said with a sneer or a resentful tone, then, yeah, it's probably just sour grapes. But if it's said with a laugh and a nod, then it's just an acknowledgement that the opponent was hungrier than you for the win.

Like, If I play Magic, I only mildly care about actually winning the game. Instead, I want to make the game DEFINING play. The perfectly timed counter, the stupidly stacked up monstrosity of a creature, whatever creates the most emotional response.

My friend pointed it out to my opponent during the Kaladesh pre-release. Due to whatever the hell was going on, I had ended up with a 7/11 Double-striking Turtle just pounding through his defenders. And my friend said "See, right now, as far as user's concerned, he's won. It doesn't matter if you bounce the turtle, or kill it. What matters to him is he smacked you in the face with Gamera."

Okay. Understand that this is...really messy.

In the last 30 years, Americans have experienced an ever-growing rift between their two major political parties, in terms of values.

These rifts have divided much of American discourse and entertainment into, essentially, proxy wars, as one group is associated with Party A, and their rivals/opponents Party B.

An easy example of this is that reddit is seen as a Democratic-leaning institution, while Veeky Forums, is seen as a Republican-leaning one. (This is because of /pol/ being a bastion of open far-right iconography, and the chosen vernacular of Veeky Forums users more readily matching a stereotypical right-wing American speaker, "fag", "nigger", "cuck", etc.)

Recently, due to stupid fucking bullshit, Magic the Gathering became another of these proxy wars, over that shithead Jeremy dude being banned because he said mean things about what's-her-name the cosplay girl.

So, Donald Trump's comments about Haiti were, for some reason, considered by this person to be a watershed moment of inhumanity, creating a sense of momentum to them, seeking to lash out at the people they feel at responsible/culpable in having elected him, Veeky Forums, by way of /pol/.

You'll note the MtG thing was only brought up by someone else volunteering assistants.

Hence, the results/presence on our board are just casualties, or 'destabilizing isolation tactics' in an assault on /pol/, because the posters are unaware that we already hate /pol/, just like we hate everyone.

Thanks for the explanation.

It still sounds really dumb, but at least there's some reasoning behind it.
I'm getting very tired of these ideological wars in basically everything.

>Just take the same money and spend it on vodka and food, money much better spend IMO.
What? The great thing about traditional games is that you don't need to keep spending money on it. If you have around 5 good board games you always have some kind of entertainment availiable if you're hanging out. That's a much better long term investment than always having to buy alcohol and food

The idiocy of people really is without limits

>Just take the same money and spend it on vodka and food, money much better spend IMO.
but I don't want to be fat and intoxicated, I want to play games.

Yeah. It's a fucking mess.

I'd really like to see methods for addressing and correcting it, but most of them would require fundamental alterations to the American political process.

Somewhat biased/controversial/not fully researched (the timelines kind of match up, but it's not something I've really studied.) spoiler here
The trend seems to essentially originate in the signing of the Civil Rights Act, which created a "flop" in Republican/Democratic power bases. This created a lot of political "space", as the dust settled and the new 'normal" was established. Such as, during this window the NRA changed tactics, broadening its scope and tone on gun ownership, partly to court newly Republican voters in the South. This is also, as near as I can tell, where the fierce Republican opposition to constitutional amendments came from: the Constitution used to be amended something like every 7 years on average. It hasn't been amended since 1992. I guess a bunch of people just really hated the idea of sharing water fountains with niggers, because it has FUCKED up America, 50 years down the road.

>I'd really like to see methods for addressing and correcting it,
Just don't feed the trolls, it's not really that hard

>Such as, during this window the NRA changed tactics, broadening its scope and tone on gun ownership, partly to court newly Republican voters in the South.

Out of interest: What was the scope it had before before the broadening?

I am equal parts amused and irritated with you, user.

Well-executed.

The NRA before the 1960's was more directly focused as a sport and hunting organization, with a focus on those who owned guns being highly trained in their use. Their motto was "Firearm Safety Education, Marksmanship Training, Recreation in Shooting."

The NRA actually wrote several pieces of gun control legislation in the early and mid 1900's, their president openly testifying to Congress that he did not approve of people walking around carrying guns. He felt "it should be sharply restricted, and only under licenses."

In the late sixties to mid seventies, we see the shift into a real lobbying force, and the establishment of the modern interpretation of the second Amendment...right after they helped pass the Mulford Act, a law in California (passed by Governor Ronald Reagan, natch), prohibiting carrying loaded firearms in public, an act openly written as a response to a recent Blank Panther march on the state capitol.

I don't play MTG but in YGO I play "open good or die" decks because I like overwhelming my opponent on one turn them killing him so getting bad hands is common
As long as you realize that your deck or actions were faulty is okay to say that you lost because of something

Huh, interesting. Thanks, I'm a bit young to remember the pre-60s NRA (And you know, not american) so that was really interesting.