MTG cube

Since standard sucks and most of my friends are cheapskates I built a MTG cube. Best thing I ever did.

>build your own limited set
>pick and choose your favorite mechanics and archetypes from all of magic
>add personal shitbrew pet cards
>balance entirely up to you
>one time purchase
>easy to play casual games
>get people who don't want to buy in to play magic

Why don't you have a cube yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-2002-01-28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I had one in process, but I dismantled it once I realized that my friends and I, due to some events that recently came up, would likely only get to meet up at all once in a blue moon.

Because I play Modern instead.

That's a shame. It's exactly why I built one, though. If we do get to meet up we at least have something to play on equal footing, since half of our group pretty much stopped playing while some of us just got bigger and better collections.

Good on you. I play both. My cube only cost me around 60 bucks, though, since I decide the powerlevel.

Cubes always end up as goodstuff.dec when I build them.

Building a 360 cube is hard.

I have a fuckhuge giant cube. It took one of those six-row plastic containers people store baseball cards in and began filling it up with stuff, mostly commons and uncommons. No card is worth more than 5$ and there were no doubles. I was careful not to include super-linear strategies like slivers or energy or affinity because it was so many card you probably wouldn't be able to get any to make a whole deck. Lion's share of it is from original Innistrad, original Zendikar, and Odyssey blocks. Most fun I've had in a very long time, I'm keeping it for sure, but I'm still doing a lot of testing and tweaking (just removed High Tide after I realized it's only useful in mono-blue and about 70% of the time you're playing two or three colors)

I don't like msall cubes, it takes out osme of the randomness. Same with super linear strategies. Then it just feels like a ritualized way to say "I have 8 decks in here, let's see who gets which one" and that takes out a lot of the creativity, I think. Large cubes also let you play "Sealed" where everyone has a pool of 90 random cards and can build whatever they want.

Do you have the ability to put up a list somewhere? Id like to start a cube but Im only a year into MTG and need a jumping off point.

>build cube after reading about how great they are
>post it on Veeky Forums for review
>WotC agents break into my house at 3am that night
>burn cube
>rape wife
>raid fridge

never again

There's a youtube channel called Milo: the Gathering which is cube based. He has a series called noobcube where he walks through making a cheap, first time cube

Cubetutor is made especially for that purpose. Lots of cubes to take inspiration from, like pauper or peasant cubes.

Are y'all really making cubes out of your trading cards or is this some elaborate troll I'm falling for?

I got a Peasant and a Vintage Cube, and they both scratch very different itches.

Peasant is where I go when I want to play some good, clean fair Magic with powerful but not broken spells that aren't Ixalan levels of dreary. The removal is good but all the creatures also generate tons of value. There's quite a bit of reanimator but I'm happy to nerf something if it gets too oppressive.

The Vintage Cube is where I go when I'm tired and I wanna slam haymakers T2 and make dreams come true all while Winter Orb is in play. Fastbond/Crucible/Strip Mine, Channel Emrakul, Upheaval, Tinker, Wildfire, the works. Got nice, foil, alternate art proxies of P9 and Duals so we have nice things to look at while drafting while not breaking bank.

If there's one thing you should do it's to make Cubes out of your trading cards. You and your friends get a set to draft from that doesn't contain 60% garbage, and you can do it over and over again, each time being slightly different. And you don't even need to hunt down playsets of each card to play them in your deck! A Cube is a celebration of the best cards you like in Magic, as well as a celebration of your collection.

I suspect we're talking about different Cubes here, we're talking about a set of >360 cards sleeved up neatly in a collector's box that people use to draft and play. Not, you know,
folded into a cube-like shape in OP's pic.
That's more of a joke.

>add personal shitbrew pet cards

I'm guilty of this so much. There are some cards the all Vintage Cube veterans tell me are traps but I'll just force into my Vintage Cube because I like them. Swords for instance, I know they're very situational and that vehicles should take their place but they're too much of a sacred cow for me to remove, I idolized the swords when I was a dumb kid.

I also throw about 3-4 silver bordered cards in there for testing, currently have Knight of the Kitchen Sink (Protection from Black Border version), Crow Storm and Booster Tutor in there together with Sword of DnD so there's something to equip onto the Knight. So far Booster Tutor is a real beast.

Uh huh.

And what's a draft?

I never understood why wizards doesn't support it.

Like, just release a full 360 card cube full of neat reprints, like they do with commander. I always hear people say hurrr cube is a closed circuit, but it's not. You're constantly tweaking it and adding and trying new cards.

Why do limited sets contain so much garbage anyway?

I'm gonna answer these two questions at once because they have similar answers:

MaRo likes to have you altruistically believe a romantic notion that "bad cards" are fundamental and intrinsic to a card game, and in fact, there are some bonuses to not outrightly killing as many bad cards as possible.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-2002-01-28

The real truth of course is that they need to release ~200 cards every quarter and at this point they're just releasing garbage to fill out sets so that they can meet quarterly projections. Also because somewhere along the line the current generation of R&D decided they wanted players to like extremely dreary combat math where +1/+1 until end of turn is a real blowout spell.

I don't know, I can try I guess. The whole thing's shuffled to hell and I like it that way, would be very difficult to post every single one since there's probably more than 700 cards in there. How about I tell you some of the key themes and important cards?

1. General theme is "Grow your weak creature". I have lots of equipment and enchant creatures. A few cards that spread around +1/+1 counters too. Important cards for this are Boneslitter, Serra's Embrace, Shiv's Embrace, Epic Proportions, Vulshok Battlegear, Dragon Blood etc. Had to take out Stregnth of the Tajuru because it just sort of won the game on its own every time it resolved. I don't like having too many cards like that. Some are okay, but not too many.

2. I like things to do with my mana late game, so I use a lot of X-Spells and stuff with expensive abilities, like Invokers.

3. Don't do too many gold cards, they're uselss if you're not playing their exact color combination. Had to dilute them a lot with regular cards and artifacts before we stopped getting too many dead-weight draftys where more than half the pack is unplayable to everyone at the table because no one is playing R/G or whatever.

Here's a random assortment of cards form my massive pile. I should add, there's a minor graveyard theme too since I love Odyssey and Innistrad so much.

Agonizing Demise
Sanctum Custodian
Horned troll
Merfolk Thaumaturgist
Turn to Mist
Silver Myr
Unquestioned Authority
Icy blast
Phyrexian Hulk
Shimmering glasskite
Viashino Sandscout
Copperhoof Vorrac