Habitable planet orbits brown dwarf

>habitable planet orbits brown dwarf
>it's kept bright by the main star

Other urls found in this thread:

dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/11/nasas-kepler-mission-reveals-our-solar-system-is-extremely-rare-and-we-have-no-idea-why.html
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if the dwarf is a y type brown dwarf then that is entirely possible.
t type dwarfs emit in infrared so it possible for them too

According to a hypothesis I read the Earth once orbited a brown dwarf star before our current sun and humans witnessed a stellar relocation which they codified into mythology.

You do realize just how fucked over the solar system would be if something of that magnitude happened in the last few hundred thousand years, right?

Makes for a good fantasy setting backstory though.

Regarding op, I've done something similar, had a planet orbtitting a brown dwarf, which in turn revolved around a sun-like star.

Our solar system is actually quite fucked over statistically speaking. Venus, Earth, Mars, Saturn and Neptun have the same tilt different from all others; Venus revolves retrograde; Mercury is too close for a terrestrial planet to its sun; Uranus is tilted so much it basically rolls around the sun; theoretically, Jupiter and Saturn should have been stars; the moon is too light for its size and too well situated to eclipse the sun very regularly.
Statistically speaking, our solar system is unique.

So what would you do with this setting?

Kek, this is legitimately the dumbest thing i've read in weeks. Thanks Veeky Forums!

You do realize that everything you just said is complete bullshit, right?

Why? I read Wikipedia and watched Youtube videos about it. I'm not an astronomer.

The mix and match Solar System Swapout is a seriously presented idea with a lot of thought and research involved.
It probably isn't really true, but it is cool.

>I'm not an astronomer.

You don't say

The question is 'What makes it worth using as a game setting? What is cool enough that is interesting?

Two-sided tans?

Most planets' axial tilt varies wildly, the only reason Earth's is relatively stable is because Moon is huge, relatively speaking. There are lots of planets orbiting closer to their star than Mercury is to Sun, and it's gas planets that shouldn't exist close to the star, not terrestrial planets. Jupiter is a full order of magnitude of mass from being a brown dwarf, let alone a full-blown star. Moon is continuously drifting further from Earth and it's expected for moons to orbit near the planetary plane. And it's actually fairly dense for a moon, as well.

He's right though.

Wouldn't brown dorfs emit inhospitable levels of radiation? Also, wouldn't binary stars, brown dorf or not, have zero Goldilocks?

>Moon is huge
That means she has huge guts!

>it's gas planets that shouldn't exist close to the star, not terrestrial planets
Hot Jupiters say hello.

dumbest post i have ever read

>Hot Jupiters say hello.
I said SHOULDN'T, not DON'T. But it turns out that while gas planets can't FORM near a star, they do often wander closer. But there's no reason why a TERRESTRIAL planet couldn't be close to a star, as long as it's not so close that the radiation will destroy it.

>shouldn't
“How empty is theory in the presence of fact!”
― Mark Twain

Could you make a binary star system where some object would alternate between earth-like gravity and situation where the binary gravities cancel each other out?

No, because a star's gravity barely effects us and any situation where that were possible would not be good for the planet or its inhabitants.

>Wouldn't brown dorfs emit inhospitable levels of radiation?
Planets and brown dwarves can't emit deadly radiation. They can trap the charged particles coming from stars, though.
>Also, wouldn't binary stars, brown dorf or not, have zero Goldilocks?
It depends on how far away they are from each other.
I'd have a setting around an independent brown dwarf.

I believe stable orbits can be a problem in binary systems, but it's not impossible.

>too well situated to eclipse the sun very regularly.
its really not. Mars, jupiters and saturns moons cause eclipses regularly and have even been photographed by one of the mars rovers.
The moon being aproximately the right size to do a total eclipse is really an inevitability. The moon formed much closer the earth and has been steadily receeding further away. sure we're in the "sweet spot period" where its roughly the same size as the sun in the sky but that period is over a billion years long. Its not the crazy 1 in a billion chance of haplening some people seem to think.

plus theres some evidence that suggests having a large moon is important for the development of complex life both for its stabilization of the planets rotation and so climate and the importance tides may have played in early lifes development. At that point its really just the anthropic principle to explain why our moon is like that.

>Wouldn't brown dorfs emit inhospitable levels of radiation?
nah without proper fusion Brown dwarves don't release any high energy radiation, the mostly just emit infrared and maybe some visible light as the slowly cool down.

>Also, wouldn't binary stars, brown dorf or not, have zero Goldilocks?
no. any binary system would still have a golidocka zone, even if its positioned differently to if the stars were just on their own. The question is can a planet have a stable orbit within the binary systems Goldilocks zone. It depends on the stars masses and distance, but usually yes.

Could you potentially have a planet with a moon that has its own rings? Or would it be more correct to have an Earth-like moon around a ringed planet?

Any area which would present such an effect is also an area which would have destroyed and dispersed any planet which started forming within it ages ago.

In theory yes, although you'd need either very close rings or a distant moon. In practice, rings would be transitory and wind up as a meteor shower before too long.

>Statistically speaking, our solar system is unique.

No.

The most unusual thing about it is that earth's moon is so huge.

Our star is in a minority, since most stars are found in multiple star systems, but it's not too uncommon.

As scientific instruments will get more advanced we'll be able to find more and more systems that share similarities with our own.

dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/11/nasas-kepler-mission-reveals-our-solar-system-is-extremely-rare-and-we-have-no-idea-why.html

Did you even read more than the title? It literally describes how there's very little unusual about the solar system.

>The most unusual thing about it is that earth's moon is so huge.
And it's not even the relatively biggest "double planet" in the system. See: Pluto and Charon, which are so close in mass and size, they orbit around a point between them.

>Did you even read more than the title?
No!

according to another hypothesis life on earth is consistent with the basic principles of biology and astrophysics

which gas planets are you refering to?

You might in the future want to stay off the Von Däniken / Sitchin / Nibiru cult corner of the internet

Osiris.

I'm currently running a game where all lights comes from within the world out of these things called Sunwells. People typically populate the twilight zones of Sunwells for luxury, but farmer live much closer. One of our players is a Darkguide who ferries people through The Dark. Another is a fanatical Light warshiper. And then there's the scientist who studies the Light of Creation because of his secret Angle (basically a power, a unique way of changing Light into something).

Is your world a Dyson sphere?

Amateur. According to a hypothesis I heard the Earth was once located past Mars, before Planet X cracked it in half on its way in, shattering half into the asteroid belt and pushing the rest to its current location. And possibly seeding it with alien chemistry or something? Dude was vague and contradictory.

But what if the planetoid got captured?

this is nice.

>Mercury
"One of the problems in our Solar System is that, by Kepler standards, Mercury is very far from the Sun”

kek

Why do people always go looking for unusual things in our solar system
Major spoiler: our solar system already has one of the most unique and spectacular events taking place as we speak: IT HAS LIFE.
I don't think people quite appreciate just how insane the concept of life is. Currently the most complex objects known to mankind are vertebrate bodies. The sheer amount of complex chemical reactions that take place within them is mindboggling.

And if you're looking for some spectacular stellar event well, at this point it is commonly accepted that earth during it's early history collided with another planet which in turn formed the moon.

>nah without proper fusion Brown dwarves don't release any high energy radiation
Brown Dwarfs fuse deuterium and lithium tho

I really like this setting

Whats the conflict/drama?
Are there creatures in the Dark?

deuterium and lithium are comparatively rare elements though, the amount of radiation generated by those processes is negligible
I'd say they'd generate more energy through contraction than through fusion

>That means she has huge guts!

Are those all versions of Linux?

And that it's the only one with life as far as we know.

>deuterium and lithium are comparatively rare elements though
compared to what?

Hell yes. The Dark represents order and stagnation, so super ancient beings live there too.

No real different to being the moon of a gas giant, jupiter is approaching the scale of being a brown dwarf anyway.
The only issue would be that unless it was quite far away from the star, the orbits would probably settle down into the brown dwarf and the star orbiting each other, and the planet orbiting both.

>Major spoiler: our solar system already has one of the most unique and spectacular events taking place as we speak: IT HAS LIFE.
We actually have no way of knowing how unique that is. None of the instruments we have which can detect planets in other solar systems have a hope of distinguishing planets with and without life.

That is, if you're limited to seeing 'visible' light.
If the species inhabiting the planet saw in infrared, however...

user we know next to nothing about other solar systems, the majority of the ones we've found have super-jupiters orbiting right next to their host stars because they're easy to find.
Our solar system doesn't have a binary star, the sun is a very nice balance of long-lived and stable (red dwarves tent to be very unstable, but long-lived, while brighter stars have smaller flares but burn out faster), the planets are nicely distributed so that jupiter and saturn protect the inner planets from constant bombardment, overall it's very comfy and stable.
Yes, it's unique, because it's the only one we've been able to study in any sort of detail and we're STILL constantly finding out new shit about it. Maybe planetary development is such a chaotic process that every solar system ends up bizzare and different, we just don't know.
Source: I am actually an astronomer

>life on earth is consistent with the basic principles of the study of life (on earth)
You don't say.

We don't even know that.

Considering that the Moon was most likely created from debris when another (probably Mars-sized) planet crashed into proto-Earth. this might be the answer.

Nah, the Fermi Paradox says that, statistically speaking, there should at least be radio waves coming from other stars.

Could be, that night be neat, but it's really more magical fantasy. All light is The Light of Creation, and is the primordial chaos which forms all things. Some people have natural abilities that transform Light into things like water, fire, ethereal appendages, etc.

I also handwave away problems like violent storms and the exact logistics of a Sunwell. Sunwells just have zones, that's about as deep as it gets.

That quote was an oops.

It's also worth mentioning that I think the major mysterious evil that threatens my players' characters is something I'm gonna call The Bramble. It's an infectious vegetation that's choking the Sunwells and Fissures. The dwarves, strange fey creatures that live along very weak Fissures in the Earth, have had to move to the outskirts of Sunwells, an extremely unusual proximity to humans for them.

I heard that the earth and Mars are actually the same person. You've never seen them in a room together, have you?

Bro how long has our species been around? In that time have we solved interstellar travel? Assuming that their civilization formed a couple hundred million earth years ago we might catch their radio broadcasts. They aren't in the stellar neighborhood but past that the Fermi Paradox falls sorta flat.

why the hell would you avoid that shit, it's hilarious and often good gaming material.

yo, much smaller scale and tech-based, but Hardwar is an extremely cool game about solar-powered basically-spaceships on Titan. I think it's Titan. Anyway, the light level sucks but there are light wells scattered across the place - the ships, called Moths, have to chill out and hover in them to recharge.

Hydrogen.
Brown dwarves are defined by being to small to initiate fusion. Pretty much all their radiation is energy from the heat of their contraction.

Well that's why Earth wants to kill humanity and enlisted Mars' help. Mars-chan has sent its war spirit but she like hanging around too much so we've managed to survive another thousand years.

>why the hell would you avoid that shit, it's hilarious and often good gaming material.
This. The nutbar side of the web is best for gaming and story ideas.

Nah, red dwarfs are the ones that emit irregular bursts of hard radiation, but browns are so dim that they can't even do that. They'd be great for building dyson swarms to harness their energy, because you don't have to worry about flares or radiation pulses and the star still emits plenty of energy for megaprojects.

Want to hear something dumber?

Ancient Aliens (a show on the history channel) suggested the Moon is an artificial observation satellite put into orbit when modern man was around, as creation myths often posit a period in time when there as no moon in the sky until "The Gods" put it there.

They further suggest the Moon is a space station by saying it "rings like a bell" when hit (seismic detectors on the surface pick up vibrations when meteorites hit) and every impact crater is the exact same depth because they're hitting solid titanium after a certain point.