World building:Žaltytis, Žaltė, Žalti - The Gods of Nature, Fertility and Law

Seeing as thread I wanted to work this idea into been deleted might as well work it in here:
Žaltytis, Žaltė, Žalti - The Gods of Nature, Fertility and Justice (Though no one is quite sure if each of them represents it or all three)

Depicted as three snakes - female, male and genderless one, they always shift and change shape into humanoids or one humanoid, one giant snake with three heads or into frogs or scaly insects, but always returning to the form of three snakes.
While not outright evil, they are rather brutal when it comes to punishing those they consider have broken the rules of natural life...

Punishments include:
>For cutting down too many trees, you get turned into a treant that will protect the forest
>For incest one is turned into inbreed abomination
>For cannibalism victim turns on the eater and eats them alive before passing away.
and so on.

>What do I want?
I want to see if you guys could help to work more on this cult, come up with more unnatural crimes or crimes against nature (Them being judged by simple rule - if that does not occur naturally in nature it probably is a crime that could work.

It should be noted that some other punishments include ones for murder with body horror way of helping victim to be reborn, for bestiality you get turned into that beast, for necrophilia you turn into a zombie and so on...

But there are warnings the hidden secret number for the number of times they will punish the people in there cities before they feel effects permanently....

Welp I get little luck with this idea.

Here to help it out at sort of last chance....
Possible worshipers for this god trio includes kobolds, lizardfolk and lamias as well as few other reptile species of humanoids.

The particular cult of note are the all female tribe of lizardfolk sub species that lost all there males few thousand years ago.
It is believed that the "punishment" for murder of there own kind helped these lizards survive until one of three gods gave them a gift, they could reproduce once more, yet it required what could be described as courting ritual of sorts...

>While not outright evil, they are rather brutal when it comes to punishing those they consider have broken the rules of natural life...
I would question this aspect given how standard D&D alignment works and the punishments they give out

Well it's case of these do not fall under standard d&d alignments.
They are just brutal but not evil (Based on mythology in East and North Europe were gods and creatures were not evil just brutal)

But what would you suggest?

It's Žaltys

I know just making a fantasy god that combines him with few other concepts (And yeah I changed names intentionally, just bad lithuanian lacks genderless form)

>rules of natural life

Is magic natural? Does a mage tapping into its power defile it as an abuse of its nature? If only certain uses of particular magic are considered natural usage and does not defy natural magical laws, such as using magic to cause harm or destruction of life is banned and enforced by the followers of Zalttis, Zalte and Zalti, like a magical police force. To the contrary, magic that aids life or causes growth or promotes natural phenomena to flourish, is taught and freely encouraged by the mage followers.
Also magic that breaks the fundamental natural laws is forbidden, punishment is varied based on how offensive the violation is, such as causing rain to fall when the sky is cloudless would be a minor offense, causing the oceans to boil and the mountains to crack apart would be a severe violation.

Good point.
I could see this as the case of magical police that do not kill but use there own powers or some form of spells to punish the user appropriately, as you said, magic that is against laws of nature is forbidden, one that helps them is allowed.

I like your mind set I will work on these non-lethal magical police now.

Time for a little culture; All three gods are celebrated at certain times of the year, Nature could be a celebration during summer solstice, The Oath of Law could be a winter holiday where the devoted spend several days reflecting on the virtues of living at one with nature, Fertility could be the Spring Equinox festival or parade or both. Maybe a time of passion where unbridled pleasantries are pursued for one night anything from mead drinking contests to virillity tests and feats of strength to attract mates. Many babies will share the same birthdate several months later.

I like the last line so lovely.

And indeed culture would be nice, though I will ask if you folk agree that these gods should have odd worshipers? I myself feel lizardfolk and some form of snake people could work here as both are related and it would mirror how humans make gods similar to them.

>Many babies will share the same birthdate several months later.
I think that those born after the celebration would have a chance to be born with some mark of the three gods on them?

Save your divine markings for infants born during celestial events like lunar and solar eclipses or hurricanes, earthquakes and intense storms. These marked ones might be great heroes or weild unusual powers not found in your average everyday mage. Marked ones might often be prophets of natural disasters or the ones that have the power to call on those destructive natural powers.

Divine markings could be of different types. Some lesser, some greater, some give good spells some just make ones they have better.

Maybe consider them elementalists or specialize them to an element that was the purpose of their marking, they may even get the right to take an elemental familiar if they prove they observe the laws of their element and vow to never abuse it.

Also, theres no reason to limit this religion to one race, if it spreads and others see the benefits they may convert. I can see dwarves being devout followers too.

And remember killing in nature is normal and acceptable, so people using magic to harm or kill may not necessarily be a punisable crime, only if it violates nature, such as killing for cruelty or for sport or other selfish unnecessary reasons as opposed to killing for survival. So they don't actually need to be complete pussies.

Well I was thinking most notable worshipers could be the snakes, lizards, perhaps kobolds and some dragons.

But some other races worshiping these could be fun.
But yeah what did you think it being a bit brutal in punishment department? Like fertility one dose not allow murder, but justice on wants to punish murderers still, so I though I will borrow one of the methods used by some gods in mythology of raising the killed one from the dead, and then though why not add in some body horror and say they were reborn...literary with the help of the killer - it's really not something one wants to experience more then once.

Same for most other crimes - punishment is cruel and unusual, but for first time temporary, like a warning, before it become permanent?
(Other ideas included bestiality and transforming into animals, burning of the forests and being turned into those trees protectors, ruining the fields of a farmer gets you turned into a living scarecrow)

And perhaps these punishments are not for worshipers (Though they can be punished that way) but rather for ones they catch?

Then they could be both story's good guys and villains based on what they did?

Thinking about killing got me wondering about their burial rites, I think they would be the type to bury or place in burrows to rot. Cycle of nature and all.

I agree this is why word murder works here - it's kill for those reasons you note, sport, greed and so on.

But I could see punishment of these gods to those who commit the crimes being worse then death.

Though some could consider those as blessings? Maybe it's case were some blessings are same as some curses?

>say they were reborn...literary with the help of the killer

If you mean the killer has to redeem himself or suffer the same fate or some terrible punishment, thats tricky, the Gods wouldn't want to violate their own laws in punishing someone. Hypocritical gods are often abandoned by intelligent beings.

>punishment is cruel and unusual

Make them curses where the afflicted must seek redemption and forgiveness from the 3 Gods.

>bestiality
Were[animal]wolf when horny

>burning of the forests and being turned into those trees protectors, ruining the fields of a farmer gets you turned into a living scarecrow

Perfect

Well I was much simple and much more...cruel with the murder, it's just they are born again once more, literary and killer is there as the...you get who...(And they get transformed into required form if they lack the captivity)
Because yeah after that one is not one that kills anyone, quite the opposide but also one no one would want to feel again.

>Were[animal]wolf when horny
I like that one as sort of mid point, you get a warning and get turned into this, and must seek someone to help before you get turned back, but if you ignore it, you get turned into animal for good.

And because I though these three gods could take on many shapes, there punishment could be one that transforms the one who committed the crime.

I agree, perhaps dependent on location it could wary from burring in the ground for colder areas to being fed to animals in hotter ones.

I would also see a belief that reincarnation is common in this cult, perhaps actually occurring in some odd form of rebirth.

>Well it's case of these do not fall under standard d&d alignments.
True, but that is my go to if nothing else is specified and even in a non D&D setting I think its likely that those that don't worship it wouldn't think the best of such extreme methods

Though as to what I'd do... I suppose I'd either have it as a somewhat evil, but not harshly so, more of the callous and uncaring type, or lighten up the punishments/reserve such things for more heinous crimes

>I myself feel lizardfolk and some form of snake people could work here as both are related and it would mirror how humans make gods similar to them.
Yeah, I could see it, maybe worship them in different ways/focus on slightly different aspects but that would work nicely

Burial by air? (Leaving the corpse out and letting birds/scavengers have a go)
Though really anything other than maybe cremation would be good in all likeliness

>Yeah, I could see it, maybe worship them in different ways/focus on slightly different aspects but that would work nicely
Well I will note I recall in some old religions, snakes were pleased with offerings of milk - so how about something like this:
They don't really prey, just follow there rules and sometimes leaves small offerings in certain places of milk, meat, honey and so on.

>Burial by air
Possibly were areas allow it, after all how you bury the body depends on the location - so you could probably do it in colder areas, were smell will not be too bad, or far away from the settlement. But I guess these gods being grass snakes work best for colder areas and make for unique case of lizardfolk and snakes in cold areas.

So on the idea of the "soldiers" of these gods.

Could it be that some of the reptiles that worship these gods by going out to find those who broke the god of justice laws and to either make sure they receive punishment or perhaps if the criminal avoids there punishment by using something like magic, they remove the blockage, if they killed themselves they resurrect them or perhaps reincarnate them into the form befitting there crimes?

>if they killed themselves they resurrect them or perhaps reincarnate them into the form befitting there crimes?
That's actually darkly amusing, someone getting res'd just to get thrown in front of a judge

Well less in front of a judge and more in front of really pissed mage, but yeah that is sort of dark punishment I kind of wanted to use.

By the way, you think in this common pet would be non-poisonous snakes?

P.S. could someone keep this alive thought the night for me?

Non-poisonous sure. But since the followers of these gods are reptiles too, why not have several poisonous snakes they use to guard their hunting grounds from other intruder hunters, maybe even breeding giant sized varieties and leaving them out around the village, how about specially bred pet crocs or aligators as domesticated animals and beasts of burden?

Reptiles make bad beasts of burden but other ideas are nice. I think for beasts or burden it should still be domiestic or non domestic animals we use (or fantasy variations) because they could offer small offering of milk to one or three gods and this is the source.

>for incest one is turned into inbreed abomination
How about for incest, pregnancy will always result and the child will be an inbred abomination fated to kill both parents and the rest of the family/community? You've already got one "turned into something bad" punishment.

This god trio is against murder so it's really hypocritical.
Also turned into something bad is sort of the theme here.

How about, for eating a burrito, you are turned INTO, a burrito, but you're still a human, and a fat greaseball eats you, you, the HUMAN-rito.

Damn, could go for a burrito now.

Also it would be fate worse then death, as ones who do it usually are nobles who want to look better then anyone else.
(Also it helps that these punishes are the mages of this god so they can seek out and punish these transgressors)

Is it really murder if it's mandated by a god? Also it does transform you into something bad. It turns you into an example.

Murder mandated by god is position of those who worship evil gods, these while brutal in there punishment are more in the lines of neutral position. (Just saying from myths I read, if gods as you to kill someone that god is usually god of slavery, murder, war and rape, which these three pretty much stand against)

Also one more punishment to throw into the pile:
>Those two enslave the people or beast without taking care of there needs (Starving, harming them and so on) are turned into beasts of burden themselves.

Just random ideas
>The Serpants Seekers

One more idea for that group that worships the three snakes. Form of not murderous crusaders.

So they could probably have rather unique looks all things considered, using armor of carved metal or perhaps wood, with weapons made to immobilize but not kill, perhaps even featuring force that work as form of investigators? Seeking ones who commited crimes against nature in a way.

Only way to avoid them is to do something to repay for the crime.

And of course because this is force of non human creatures it could be the case that many humanish races attack them on sight...but they do not kill those that do, just warn them against there actions.

Okay, what about, like, the child has a supernatural disease or something that, among other things, renders them sterile and invariably spreads to the parents and any siblings?

You have to watch your children suffer their whole lives AND your bloodline ends in shame.

It's still punishing the child not the father, who not just cut the middle man so to speak and go with more direct measure.

>Žaltytis, Žaltė, Žalti - The Gods of Nature, Fertility and Justice (Though no one is quite sure if each of them represents it or all three)

>Depicted as three snakes - female, male and genderless

It's shit already.

why? This does not explain anything?
You just pointed out there names and looks.

This looks just like any other god from real world mythology.

It IS punishing the father, though. He's burdened with the responsibility of taking care of this sickly child, while knowing he'll also be stricken with the same disease. It's thematic. Also, this is merely a suggestion.

This brings up another idea. How would these gods feel about child abandonment or abuse?

Abadonment most likely leads to father being found and transported to some realm to wander for some time and then taken back to look after the children?

Abuse - I could see this being case where any pain you inflict is felt by one who inflicted it? Perhaps even increased few times?

I like the abandonment idea. Maybe they're sent to a place outside of time or something like that? That way the child's separation isn't actually prolonged.

For child abuse, what if they're sent to a penal work colony to act as slaves for giants? It sort of puts them in the shoes of the abused.

you could have gone with father,mother and child as the trinity instead of a he,she,it

That is not the form I wanted really, as these ones sort of work better as for all three domains either of genders or lacking of it could work.

Well perhaps not into penal realm but just feel the pain themselves? Or perhaps they get transformed into work beast for a time?

Could someone kindly explain why the shitposters are such morons?

The direction I was trying to go with it was to put them at the mercy of beings many times their size, strength, and possibly intelligence. This puts them into the role of children again, with the constant threat of abuse, but also the possibility of being slaved to good giants who would act as role models and teach them through experience how one is to raise a child. I'm assuming that this isn't a permanent relocation, and that they may return to their family at some point, potentially reformed.

Actually, I can see why an organized penal colony would clash with the themes of these gods. I still think my idea of "giving them to the giants" has legs. Maybe they're "apprenticed" to the giants, who are all some variety of "wise old master". Their correctional regimens are all extremely harsh and most don't survive, but those that do come back wiser, stronger, and with a much better appreciation for parental care.

Perhaps an oblation to the giants can also serve as a reward, for those seeking greater wisdom? Perhaps this is part of the curriculum for becoming one these gods' mages? I like smart giants, is what I'm trying to say.

Also, are these punishments meant to be corrective, or are they just "don't do this or bad shit will happen to you!"?

Problem of killing does not fit - All should survive, those that die are rewivrd once more.

And yeah more like don't do it because it's bad.

Okay, so instead of being given to giants, the abuser is whisked away and given to a pack of dire beasts that raise him as one of their own. This fits with the nature theme, and still places the abuser in the position of a child. He becomes dependent on frightening, capricious beings much stronger than he is, and must endure living in the wild as an animal, which civilized races are not suited for.

Have you ever written a D&D style players guide for your world(s)? I've been adding on to the same world for two or so years now, and I'm considering compiling it in this manner. Any suggestions or tips?

Yes and this punishment for civilised races (As one who track down there transgressions are themselves closer to nature and this is why they follow the gods)

A similar fate befalls serial killers. Those who murder for pleasure are whisked away into the wilderness, where the holy dire beasts hunt and eat them again and again for all eternity.

Magic users who try to time travel or commit other chrono bullshit are transported to a beach, "where tides of inevitability constantly wash away the moments as grains of sand". They must count all of the grains of sand on the beach, and are only allowed to sleep once they've given an accurate total. They never die from fatigue or hunger or thirst. They just feel continuously worse until the task is done.

Those that try to cheat death are stricken with paralysis similar to locked-in syndrome. The difference is that they feel their body aging and rotting away. They are completely conscious and aware until their remains become soil.

Killers have punishment...it sort of started from that actually - victim is reborn old fashion way with help of the killer and if they do it enough times....they feel that permanently....

Aww, okay. I liked the idea of one of the packs of holy dire beasts including a child abuser. He sees the serial killer and is all like "I know you! You're the one killed my wife! So many years of grief! So many years raging against those closest to me! Now I can have vengeance!"

Those who cordon off hunting grounds for their own private use are turned into a fine specimen of a game animal (a very pretty elk, for example), who may never leave that area. The hunting grounds are then taken into the care of the gods' followers, who allow the public to hunt in them freely.

Bliat petre kokiaks tu cia nesamones kuri
Eik miegot tavo kauliuku klubui turbut nerupes

What is this jibrish?

Those who drive a species to near extinction through industrial means retain their minds, but are turned into hyper-fertile brood mares that the species uses to repopulate.

While it is horrifying....and body horrory I like that concept...I will note it down.

So Freudian, magical realmy stuff is more your speed, eh? How about this:

Rapists or other sex criminals suffer a curse where every open wound they receive turns into a vagina. Other men are compelled to try and impregnate each one.

Sodomites are turned into girls. Their old lovers don't want them any more.

Anorexics, or people who refuse to eat, never starve. They just keep getting fatter. Eventually, they find someone who loves them for who they are, but they are destined to drive these people away through their own self-loathing.

In times of high population, it is the male homophobes who are turned into girls. They tend to congregate and lez out, unable to deny their enduring attraction to the female form. They hate themselves the whole time.

Those who refuse to give proper offerings to forest are themselves offered, and are passed around as a plaything between every sylvan spirit. Some weirdos have this happen to them and still keep "forgetting" to make their offerings.

Interracial relationships are okay. Interracial fetishists get buttfucked nightly by three-headed snakes until that becomes their new fetish.

People who remain fixated on their parents, or deliberately try to find partners similar to their parents, or just expect their partners to care for them as would a parent, are irresistibly compelled to scoop out their own eyes every time they climax. The eyes grow back in a matter of minutes, but the process is extremely painful. This is also a pretty serious mood killer for normal people. I mean, it's fine if you're cool with it. I'm not here to judge.

People who obsess over becoming stronger and overstep their place in the natural order have various symbolically-relevant body parts turn into giant, hideous tumors. The tumors still function somewhat as their old organs or appendages, but those afflicted tend to become very weak and sickly.

Those who order or build disruptive dams without paying the proper tithe and getting the gods' explicit approval are struck with unnatural edema. Their bodies accumulate fluids all over, which eventually start to host nasty infections. Before long, they become giant, immobile sacks of pus.

Lawyers out only for profit, and subvert natural laws to their own greedy ends are only able to subsist on shit. Then the gods punish them with aphasia.

Those who claim ownership of an animal carcass they didn't kill, and without bartering or paying the original hunter lose all of their hair, grow long fangs that prevent them speaking, and violently heave up anything they eat that isn't rotted meat.

If you introduce invasive species into an area, you are attacked by swarms of stinging bees and the bees crawl into your open sores and wiggle around and also the bees all take turns fucking your nose and your butt and urethra until you're just a honey-covered bee slut who eventually turns into more bees.

Got a larger version of that pic?

Here you go, friendo.

Well some of those are really horrifying.

Some of those are freaking prefectly horrifying. I will need to sit down later and replay to each point to explain why I like it.

Rapist one is good save for last part, maybe just make it so men are not compelled to do it and instead they are just sacred prostitutes in some city?

As for other ones they are good up to Forest one - That one is there in a form of being turned into a tree to guards the forest from dangers.

The Interracial stuff - sure? Granted ones that worship these gods are my original idea snake folk, lizard people and so on, so perhaps they do not mind some races?

Those are fucking scary and will work perfectly for this beautiful horror

>MemeCenter

Getting turned into animals in general is a decent punishment.

Because we went wild with punishments how about that force of divine follower crusaders that never kill, just make sure punishment or warning is sent?

I could see them like real Spanish inquisition - they give you 30 days before they come as a warning before the punishment occurs

One should get the impression that not all of them are meant to be taken seriously. If you can use the ones that are meant to be jokes, then more power to you.

But the image is so fitting!

Well yeah I will edit them. I just noted some are funnier in different ways (Also for a game easier to play when I don't need to ask for wisdom saves for my players every time they visit barracks)

bump