What setting in any medium has the deepest lore?

What setting in any medium has the deepest lore?

Traveller, and most of it is completely unnecessary for play.

The Doctor Who setting goes really deep if you wanna get into it. Go deep enough and you get Marvel, Transformers, Star Trek, and DC added into the mix.

Try explaining Faction Paradox to a normie.

Exactly. That stuff goes deep as heck. And I say this as someone that has tried to explain FP stuff to friends to get them to play an FP themed campaign. No luck yet

Can I be your friend, user?

I'd love that. I have a Deep Lore Doctor Who campaign written up, with homages to Grant Morrison's DC and Doctor Who works and Gerard Way's current Doom Patrol stuff (which is basically a Doctor Who plot), but no one to play it with.

What's faction paradox?

Basically time traveling voodoo cult.

They're fans of retcons and non-existence, with their leader having erased himself from ever having existed. They literaly use the temporal echo of erased weapons as their personal weapons.

They started out as a splinter group of heretical Time Lords. But, through a series of paradoxes and temporal disasters, they were both destroyed by the Doctor and weren't destroyed by the Doctor. Their whole "time line" is in a basic limbo, because the temporal "state" (think like the state of an electron, but for time across a whole universe) no longer is connected to the main Doctor Who continuity, but they still exist in their own sliver of continuity, that both cross over with main Doctor Who stuff but also knows it's not quite the same time line.

It's weirder than that, but that's about as simple as you can get.

depth is overrated
direction is where it's at

Sounds cool. It's weird that shit like this exists in canon but most of the time time travel is just an excuse to get somewhere in the show and not a plot point.

Doctor Who doesn't really have a "canon", per se, since even the BBC doesn't own a lot of stuff from the show and has to license it. That being said, the last two show runners were deep lore nerds and shoved in all the references they could without dragging down episode plots. Moffat or RTD, don't remember which, have said they keep the episodes simpler to attract more audiences, despite both of them having written super deep lore novels during the 90s.

Makes sense to keep it simple fo normies also I just looked up Moffat and came to the realisation that the episodes he wrote are pretty much the only ones I remember from when I watched doctor who I wanna see what that man can do when hes not trying to keep it simple.

Short story Continuity Errors. You can basically see his entire idea for what the Doctor is in that short story, and a lot of its ideas showed up in the show, at least when he was the showrunner.

Holy fuck dude just read it. The doctor was always pretty bad for fucking with peoples lives without asking in the show but this blows it out of the water. Thanks for the reccommendation.

Bionicles.

This is my opinion as well, especially when it comes to tabletop RPGs. Intricate depth does not lend itself to exploration at the table, and if there's too much stuff all stratified and compacted it'll be like clutter to the GM or players as you suddenly have to navigate this prewritten world.

>Doctor Who
>lore

this

I'd honestly switch Star Wars and Halo. The vast majority of SW "lore" is just details to the movies stretched to the thinnest possible end conclusion.

Halo isn't that much better, granted, but I found the universe more interesting than the story. The opposite is true of Star Wars

Moffat wrote some good episodes, but they're all very samey. All of his episodes from the 10th Doctor era are basically "here's a scary monster you can't see." He was also in charge of the meta plot for a long time and it always ended with the Doctor resetting the universe and doing some timey whimey bullshit erase the entire season from happening. Worse though, Moffat is definitely the one responsible for making the Doctor the character around whom the entire universe revolves which in turn makes it feel very small.

>Worse though, Moffat is definitely the one responsible for making the Doctor the character around whom the entire universe revolves which in turn makes it feel very small.

That was one of my biggest issues, definitely. The doctor is a cosmic traveller but he's not supposed to be actually the fulcrum the world turns on. In oldwho it was a serious thing when one episode had his prior actions directly cause it (And that was him fucking up) because it was so very, very rare.

>What setting in any medium has the deepest lore?

Depends on how you define deepest. IMO, LOTR, and Battletech both contend strongly. People forgot that Battletech ended up with ~200 novels, ~200 sourcebooks, and those books don't use the same cast of characters all stretched out like Wars and Trek do.

And yes, both Star Wars and Star Trek have a ton, but it's not especially deep (it's mostly the crew of the TV shows getting themselves into a bunch of situations with mutually contradictory resolutions). I can't in good conscience count Doctor Who because it has no defined canon, otherwise it would definitely be in the running.

From a certain point of view, historical gaming wins the conversation. No lore is deeper than real life, and so historical gamers should probably take the crown.

Glorantha.

Wrong sort of deep.

This guy from /v/

Non-canon. The author tried to push it into the audio plays, but that shit was too much even for Big Finish, and they gave him a boot - and good riddance to him.

Any techpriest that can tell me the correct ritual to make this image readable?

your google fu is weak

Jesus christ

So, turbo austist role played in Terraria with himself? What?

Say, haven't read The Silmarillion or The History of Middle Earth yet, but what is so special about Turin? Why would he be the one to plunge the sword into Morgoth's heart?

Not quite. He didn't like how the BBC ended his creation's arc. Since the BBC doesn't own much that shows up in Doctor Who, he went and got a bunch of Who writers to write some audio stories and an ongoing book series.

Those Who writers then took stuff they did in that book series and have referenced it in Gallifrey audios from the Gallifrey audio series by Big Finish, among other references in both BBC books and other Big Finish material.

Heck, Miles was legally allowed to use Sutekh and the Osirans (from the Doctor Who episode Pyramids of Mars) and the Sontarans in his audio stories, because again, the BBC owns barely any Doctor Who content and just license out all the famous Doctor Who creatures.

Even Old Who had bits of everything being about the Doctor. The official continuation of Who, according to the BBC and showrunners, was the Virgin Books novels, which had the Doctor as a pivotal thing in the universe. This carried over to the BBC produced Eighth Doctor novel series. And even before that, the Doctor was the point upon which the universe turned in The Three Doctors, The Key to Time season, and even some of the Seventh Doctor's episodes. Moffat basically took the logical conclusion of the fact that the Doctor had been to so many places he kind of had to be super important to everything.

Thats... impressive.

/thread