>Magic Branding Iron

Okay, so we know it's magical.
But what does it do?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/144127.The_Runelords
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>magic branding iron

1d4 blunt damage + 1d4 fire damage if heated

Can cast command animal/nature's ally/ect as an immediate action following a hit on a nonhuman creature

It leaves an "XIII" mark, and anything you brand with it dies thirteen days later.

The mark left by the brand displays the creature's true name.

As long as you're carrying the iron on your person, you always know the precise direction and distance to each living creature that has been branded with the iron.

>an user reposted an image I cropped
Oh bless your kind heart.

Most obviously, it's self-heating.
Next most obvious, it changes the shape of the actual brand produced to either match whatever emblem the owner already uses to mark their property, or produces a new, unique marking that the owner will like enough to continue using.
"Criminally obvious", it will "overwrite" any previous brand in such a way that only divinations by clerics of the god(dess) of detectives will discover the truth.

When pressed against an object or creature it embosses your Brand's logo onto the object or creatures surface.
it's quite popular with shoe companies.

This might potentially be the strongest artifact in existence.

Depends on how important true names are in your mystical metaphysics, I'd think.

If a living creature that's been branded wears clothes, the brand can be seen through their clothes.

True but a lich with "Dickbag McDoucheface" in glowing script on his forehead won't be anywhere near as threatening or foreboding.

In Neverwinter Nights, a deleted option would have let you (if you knew his true name) turn Mephistopheles into a chambermaid.

It's utterly painless and harmless. The brand can be arbitrarily ornamental and colourful, resembling very fancy tattoos.

If true names don't give absolute command then don't bother having true names

Those branded will rise again if slain, unless the one who branded them dies, in which case they also die.

>Iron Mother Ring

What a hell would this item do?

What is a mother ring?

Oh my bad it was ment to be Iron Mother's Ring

It marks you forever as property of Griffith.

No but seriously now:
How about the mark can cast "Charm" as a permanent effect?

It will make sense for a city run by a mage to brand violent criminals.
Or for a vampire to brand his castle's human cattle.

>vampire
>sucking on people he keeps around in his castle
>branding them to make it obvious
Voldemort tier.

It's Blade villain tier.

>Vampire sherrif hunting down vampiric rustlers that are driving a wagonload of stolen "stock"...

1. Incant a spell. The iron glows red.
2. Press the iron to a person. The iron glows white.
3. Press the iron to another person. The iron crumbles to dust.
The second person has now stolen all of the first person's capacity in some attribute--strength, vitality, intelligence, dexterity...
goodreads.com/book/show/144127.The_Runelords

>Magic Branding Iron
It is a unique item without a doubt, and visibly a testament to its creator's magnificent craftsmanship. Upon touching a creature's skin with this Magic Branding Iron after it's been heated, Magic Branding Iron leaves on the touched spot a mark. A most peculiar mark indeed, for it is of Magic Branding Iron's shape! And of its magic, uh, magicality! And this Magic Branding Iron might become yours to possess, for some measly amount of gold pieces!

It makes whatever sentient creature you brand your slave. If you brand another the original slave is freed but still has the brand upon them. You cannot make someone a slave again if they have been previously branded. It will simply burn them again.

Some stuff for my campaign, always need more though.

Are all of these items an attempt to elicit a "WTF" response?

+1 Branding Iron

Is your post attempting to illicit mild annoyance? What in your opinion is wrong with them then?

Not wrong. Just WTF.

> Worms the approximate size and shape of
arrows. When deprived of food they will enter a
hibernation state to preserve energy, petrifying themselves.
The worms function as normal arrows until penetrated into
a living creature, at which point they awake and begin
feeding.

The players pick up the arrows, thinking they're arrows, and then they find out what they are, and be all WTF.

>The magic lasts for 12 hours, at which point it will disappear completely, leaving the wearer naked save for the cloak, their previous outfit clean and neatly folded next to them.

WTF.

>When attacked in combat, as a reaction, the wearer may make a persuasion roll (contested by a Cha saving throw) by throwing their hands up and crying out any suitably pathetic phrase such as "not the face".

WTF.

Compared to traditional items you'd find in the DMG, they've got a weird flair to them that imakes you go "why?"

Neither me nor my players have any real fondness for generic items that just increase a stat or a roll. So I shoot for items that give additional options, not just making one option better.
The worms are actually something I grabbed from some repository of magic items
The cloak is just something to allow quick disguises and whatever else the player comes up with to use it for and yeah, when your magic clothes disappear you'd be naked. It's a good way to add a time limit and sense of risk, but not something awful or permanent that would prevent them from every using it.
The dandy gloves are for the bard/warlock who is already a weak bitch, but a prideful weak bitch, so to use them (and they are extremely useful to him since he's fucked in melee range) he has to eat his pride.

the "why" is because interesting things are more interesting than just giving my players 20 options of "shiny rock of +1 to the stat you use" or "stick of casting that spell you don't know yet"

>Amulet of Protection from Bullshit
>It's not actually magical. It's just a particularly heavy pendant that our barbarian uses to beat people he doesn't like

Counts as heavy shield, either gives +2 AC or works as d8+str weapon

So it kills of infection?

It brands you with the spade of dark enslavement, you're a slave to nubian folk.
Makes you extra fertile to nubian sperm

It leaves an "XIII" mark, and anything you brand with it becomes boring, irritable and bereft of ass.

>anger powered jetpack
Devised by a lord who passionately hated his fief and everyone living in it but had to survey the land each season if he wanted to collect taxes.

>asbestos wings
Heat-resistant wings that let you fly close to the sun without falling to your death. For each cumulative day of use you suffer permanent health damage due to asbestos dust in your lungs.

>fursuit of happiness
A suit of badly sewn dog skins that makes you look like a misshapen, foul-smelling canid when worn, but also makes life feel less horrible.

>pebble of unspecific poison detection
A small smooth stone that, when released, floats in the air spinning at tremendous speed.

>expedient bedpan
It allows you to cast a spell of Fear three times per day.

>merchant's gloves
Whenever the wearer of these gloves rubs his hands together, any scales that he is using will tilt slightly in his favor.

>queen's mercury
Queer-looking quicksilver that, when ingested, makes one fight to the end of whatever contest they are currently embroiled in. May cause delusions of galactic royalty.

That's a very boring approach.

"Magic" Branding Iron, I love it!

Huh, that coin is actually sorta similar to an item I gave one of my critically unlucky players. It's a bad luck converter, essentially it gets charged up whenever the wielder crit fails at something, and can use up two charges to get a guaranteed crit on something else.

"Those hit by this iron are forced to make three Will checks against the the Will of the iron's user. If all three checks are made, nothing happens. Refer to the corresponding table for each check failed.
1: A bright red brand is upon the skin of the target for 24 hours. Target is unable to be more than 5 miles away from the brander for the duration of the brand. If attempted, the target will be pushed back as though they had touched a wall of force. Target is unable to travel to any other planes during this time.
2: A deep red brand is upon the skin of the target for 72 hours. Target is unable to attempt to take the branders life for the duration of the brand. Target is subject to the whims of the brander as though under the effect of a Geas for the duration of the brand.
3. A black brand is upon skin of the Target permanently. The Target is forced to do whatever the brander tasks them. The Target acts as they would normally, but may not refuse an order or specific instructions they are given. The brand may only come off by separation of the flesh upon which the brand is located, or the non-coerced verbal release by the brander.

The effect of the iron is limited to 3 creatures at a time. Effect of the iron may only be used once a day."

How does that sound?

Actually sounds like a cool story desu.

This is such a more badass and intense version of , I love it so much.

The first ability already puts it as an above-and-beyond artifact, since dimensional anchor at will is incredibly powerful. And then it gets more ridiculous from there.

>Get iron
>Go to the 9 hells
>Brand every fucking demon possible
>Get mad power over demon cucks
>Cuz muh true name
>Summon a demonic army
>Watch your DM throw all future plans out the window

The mark changes when whatever's been branded changes owners to the new one's personal brand

Fair enough. I see a branding iron as an instrument of domination, so control was what I had in mind. I originally thought of having it be a once a week effect, but that felt a bit too long.

It casts Cure Light Wounds on use.
For those special evenings that shouldn't be cut short by wear and tear of flesh.

>Coin of Perfect Luck

This is a core mechanic in the Genesys RPG that came out a few months ago. You were clearly onto something when designing that one user

That one is for the warlock who basically always wants to reroll shit with inspiration, and always assumes he has it. To be fair to him he usually does have it since he fairly often does cool rp shit that deserves it, but the best things I can give him are safety nets so he can get away with attempting cool shit, as otherwise he's basically just two big spell slots and a thimble full of hit points covered in paper mache when you boil it down.

>Fletched Worms

Sounds like an awesome torture device.

I don't know why, but this made me smile.

upon hit, lowers a random attribute of a living target when white-hot, the attribute point can be transferred to a willing target when white-red-hot, brand becomes larger after each transfer, effects are permanent.

yes!

Might as well just use the rat bucket though, it's simpler and more terrifying.

Where is the image from?

A biiit lower please?

Whoever holds this branding iron gains knowledge of the location of all creatures branded with it. The integrity of the brand made with this iron affects how much information about the creature's location is given to the holder. As an example, partial or flawed brands give only vague directional knowledge or are only effective within a limited radius, while a full brand can give the holder a creature's precise location even across planes. If a brand is damaged, such as by willful scarification or surgical removal, the amount of information is changed accordingly.