Why even bother with a chainmail bikini?

I believe that it's not really even a thing in gaming anymore, but even just a little while ago there was a shitstorm about female armor in gaming on here. I'm confused though, if some guy or gal wants their character to dress like a skank, why do they bother trying to justify something as stupid as a chainmail bikini using real world logic when they could just take a level in monk or barbarian and prance around in whatever they want?

Protecting vital organs. Particularly the chest, head, and groin. It makes sense, but if you're going to that extent, why not protect your abdomen as well?

If it's good enough for Red Sonja it's good enough for me.

But if you're a barbarian or monk you're either so fast or so tough (if not both) that you don't NEED armor to get your ac through the roof, and in fact you can actually exceed the protectiveness of plate mail with your bare skin.

Same, but I've always pictured Red Sonja as having a level in barbarian or monk (if not both). Speaking of which how would you stat her?

>system doesn't have location damage
>protecting vital organs
It's literally the same whether you're wearing a full armature of steel plate or +5 turkish nipple armor.

And why are her eyes yellow.

Same reason why you'd wear armored underpants. Just a little extra protection for your sensitive bits.

Exactly! And it's often actually even BETTER to have no armor if you have the unarmoured defense feature. So why do people bother trying to make bullshit excuses like "muh mobility" when there's an Actual RAW way for them to dress in as much or as little clothing as they want that ALSO is way more effective than any homebrew bikini mail item could be?

Why not just regular underpants? Chainmail chafes. Hate to overuse Korra but...

It looks sexy and identifies you as a martial combatant. Its an aesthetic choice, you are welcome to play in a mail bikini and not even have it count as armour in my game user, in case you want unarmoured defence, plenty of people insist it isn't armour anyway.

>take a level in monk or barbarian

Op:
>Its cool, its cool. Players can have in game explanations for whatever they want so long as they take a mechanical effect to support it.

Boob plate > chainmail bikini

You know what, that's fair enough I suppose. I think mainly people try to justify it to not seem pervy but like, I've only ever seen girls request for their characters to wear it so is it even that really?
Thanks user, your offer is appreciated. I can't think of any circumstances in which a character would actually find any in d&d though.

Are you saying that I'm saying that or are you saying it to me? I think I agree with it either way regardless.

Regular bikini > both. But here, for you, a compromise. Just because I'm nice to you user. :)

>Bikinis
>In a typical fantasy game

You will wear a loin cloth and/or body paint and you will like it.

Because a 1 level dip in monk or barbarian is shit and STILL doesn't get you as much AC.

Barbarians get studded leather AC most of the time with Con mod +2 and that's dogshit.

But senpai

F u they're awesome. And besides, if you don't have the stats don't wear the bikini simple as that. You can't have EVERY female character in one after all.

But nothing.
She needs to wear that tabard proudly without anything beneath it.

>if you don't have the stats

A Con 16 barbarian has as much AC as a chain shirt barbarian, woooooooooooooo.

I've never seen anyone try to justify chainmail bikinis beyond "Its sexy". I have came across people who pretend that there are people who try to justify it, just like I've came across people who pretend that hobby stores are nazi recruiting grounds.

Is this a social media thing? Are there actually people on twitter or facebook who genuinely argue that two copper pasties and a chain lioncloth are actual armour? I know there are retards who claim boob plate would magnify the impact of blows and kill you (that myth comes from a clickbait article on an actual feminist site, the Mary Sue, I think).

Was this ever a thing? Is this what the new, diverse D&D crowd do? Am I just out of the loop?

But that is lewd

16 dex 16 con gives you 16 ac which is one more than a chain shirt can have and only climbs from there AND is compatible with shields. Hit level 20 and you're looking at 24 base ac before items.

>16 dex 16 con gives you 16 ac

So tell me again how you're starting with 16 Dex and 16 Con as a barbarian WITHOUT tanking all of your other stats.

What, are you going to do non-variant human with 15s in Str/Dex/Con?

Enjoy your -1 mods in Int/Wis/Cha, I guess.

"New diverse d&d crowd" you've probably hit the nail on the head right there. The majority of the non-tg d&d community never shuts up about the evils of the dreaded chainmail bikini that is apparently omnipresent across the medium and how "bold" and "progressive" 5E is for not including it.
What's this about boob armor not being dangerous?

I'm sure he'll be fine. No one ever needs those.

Basically by tanking all other stats. I don't really think of using a barb for much more than barbing. 30 point buy helps, you can get a plus one in a stat of your choice or bump all three up to 10.
How would you want bikini mail to work then?

This.

Or I could wear half-plate and get AC 17 with Dex mod +2.

Or you could be a proper barbarian and make sonja proud.

Also she looks chilly there's no way that's half plate.

Your art fu is weak young one.

That's maybe one-quarter-plate at best.

That crotch plate would chafe like a nightmare

I remember Arnold Schwarzenegger mentioning that he punished his children by making htem watch that movie.

Why bother with clothing at all?

>adventuring around with empty magic item slots

Aesthetic

>Your DM is an asshole when it comes to survival mechanics
>Barbarian freezes to death by the second adventure

And everyone wore fur armour at the very least for the rest of their days at my table

You put the magic items in your slots.

>chainmail bikini
>protecting the chest
I don’t know what bikinis you’ve seen user, but they wouldnt protect much even if they were made from magical impervious bullshittium.

Magic armor that makes every part of you invulnerable except for the part covered by armor. So you want to wear it, but wear as little as possible.

>You can't have EVERY female character in one after all.
What if it's the fashion of the time?
I mean sure some still won't wear it but practically everyone else does

>But that is lewd
It's her uniform user

>How would you want bikini mail to work then?
Honestly?
As long as the theme is internally consistent I don't really mind fluff and crunch being somewhat divorced from each other, a female barbarian rocking a set of "full plate" that gives the full +8 to AC yet leaves her tummy and cleavage exposed is fine as long as many/most sets of full plate are the same in setting, likewise a leather bikini that counts as leather armor can be fine as long as shit like that is normal, just keep things consistent in mechanics and style it's no problem

>even if they were made from magical impervious bullshittium.
>Something something skin tight magical protection field
Actually what I normally go with as an inuniverse reason why things like chainmail bikinis work, low level (in effect CL 0) magic items are real easy to make by anyone with even the slightest magical talent using even somewhat magically reactive materials (which is lot more common than you'd think) and there's just enough magic in it to act as an actual set of chainmail without giving any greater bonuses

A E S T H E T I C S

Is that for real?

It's a terrible movie. I wouldn't doubt it.

>but even just a little while ago there was a shitstorm about female armor in gaming on here.
It wasn’t actually a real shitstorm. It was a troll tossing bait and then this retarded board biting down like the dumbest grouping of drooling morons ever.
You were correct the first time; most guys don’t put their characters in bikini armor, and none of the women I’ve met who are into Veeky Forums stuff do either, simple as that.

Protip for Retards: if someone is discussing a “problem” that actually isn’t one, it’s fucking bait. Don’t respond.

>Is this a social media thing? Are there actually people on twitter or facebook who genuinely argue that two copper pasties and a chain lioncloth are actual armour?
No, but it IS a “morons can’t identify even the simplest of bait” thing.
>Was this ever a thing? Is this what the new, diverse D&D crowd do? Am I just out of the loop?
Watch yourself with how much you question obvious bait, user. You might end up revealing that you were never actually in the loop in the first place because your grasp of what is actually happening is based entirely off of the bullshit on Veeky Forums instead of real life.

It's fucking stupid to be quite honest, the chainmail isn't thick enough to look consistant over a small area, it's unflattering. Now scale mail on the other hand, scale mail bikinis are where it's at.

She wears scale, not chain.

>He doesn't unarmored defense

Not wearing an armored bikini is a great way to get holes in your tiddies, or worse your bum-bum peepee area.

Chain mail bikinis we're never really defended. It was "boobplate" which was a 40k thing. The "progressive" types we're going full ",remove boobplate, das sexist!"
And a lot of the "alt left" gave the pretty good argument of "how else are you gonna know it's a woman of the sexuality isn't made very overt? GW can't into a good female face!"

It's one of those things Veeky Forums likes to get upset about that isn't really a thing outside here. It's on par with 99.9% magical realm bitching, ubermensch Mary Sue Elves, steampunk, adventuring guilds, etc. They rarely come up in people's actual games and if they do it's likely not a huge deal, but some sperg here wants to be /v/ style upset with something so they'll fixated on one of these things.

Conan the Destroyer is honestly a worse movie experience.

>implying anyone will dare strike at my elf bard's massive balls and meaty forearm-sized cock.

Because the people into chainmail bikinis are obviously doing so to appease their own fetishes. Some people find chainmail hotter than the alternative. Fool.

You just took an 18 hour old bait and you call someone a fool?

Is taking 1 hour bait to call someone a fool acceptable?

According to my charts, yes.