>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What's the highest level 5E character you've actually played? What's your favorite level range?

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542159-Hexblade-Coffeelock
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there a way I can incorporate the ars goetia into a game?

Probably a lvl 11 or so Cleric/rogue.
Played through CoS.

My favourite level range would probably be 7 to 14 or so but I've never gotten up that high before.

Guys I've decided that I'm adding a common magical item called the Dragon Fluid Jar, in which if it detects a Dragon it will suck them up into itself and melt them into a potion that gives 1d6 permanent hit points.

because fuck dragons

>circle of spores
I can finally be a fun guy ;_;

Get out.

dungeons and 1d6 hp doesn't have the same ring to it

GOSH HECKIN' DARN IT, ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY A CHARACTER WITH DOUBLE DIGIT LEVELS.

IS THAT TOO MUCH?

my players are going to end up killing the BBEG dragon's daughter. how can i show them how angry they've made him without him actually finding them? my initial Idea was to give them a planatir that belonged to her that he used to stay in contact and have him find out she's dead by seeing them in possession of it, then detonating it somehow in a fit of rage. any other ideas? i want them to get the idea that the kid gloves are off and they are his main targets now.

what is the best way to play dnd if you don't have friends

You're telling me.
In my 20 years, I've reached double digits twice.

Mostly because the games either fall apart due to the DM losing interest and just quitting, or there being a TPK because the DM fucks up an encounter or decided to be stingy with gold and magical items in fucking Pathfinder.

Except when everyone's playing wizards

I read something recently on /5eg/ that made me want to do a Sunset Invasion type thing after my players finish the current story line.

Basically a highly magically advanced colonial empire (think I'm going to use goblinoids led by hobgoblins) shows up from across the ocean to subjugate and consolidate the continent into their vast empire. Think Seanchan from WoT kind of thing.

What can I do to make it interesting? What are some abilities/practices the conquerors could have to make them interesting opposition? I was thinking something along the lines of having the ability to enslave magic-users (obviously stolen from Seanchan), or portable anti-magic fields combined with gunpowder weapons, or maybe every hobgoblin soldier is trained in some amount of abjuration magic. What think?

>how can i show them how angry they've made him
Every town they visit is destroyed, every forest burned down, and all the untouched places close their doors to the party.

>Dragon Fluid Jar

Get Divinity: Original Sin or some of the old DND computer games.
Or see if you can find a forum driven RP or on roll20 and get sketched out by really weird neckbeards.

I got to level 4 once.

Highest level I've ever gone was 14. We would've kept going but we were all getting tired of our characters at that point and most of our characters' story arcs were finished so we started fresh.

Mythic, obviously.

nah nigro
make it dragon jizz, now THAT is some skub

>Saying Skub like it's something admirable

You have to go back.

>Implying I'll ever get to play a character for more than one session
My players got to 15 in our last campaign.

you tell us. Why wouldn't you?

I don't get where the "powerful mages have fried and crazy mind" trope came from

What's the most innocuous ability/feat that's actually secretly OP
NPCs and players included

Boy you're stupid, I mean that they will think it over if they really gonna drink that potion

How do you make your dungeons /5eg/?

I steal them

Keen Mind.

It's a literal, "DM, tell me everything that is critical to the current situation that I couldn't be assed to write in my notes."

Hammer and chisel, mostly. Some places need proper excavation, however.

I am so glad none of my players have ever taken this feat.

I'm like 90% sold on going tempest domain cleric, what domains should I still consider before tonight's session 0?

Which 3 cantrips and 6 spells should I take for my 1st level wizard? I've only ever played martials before and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've played a level 20 character before. Diviner 17 / Divine Soul 3. Extended Foresight and Subtle Counterspells were worth losing Spell Mastery imo.
Favorite level range is 10-15 though, because that's where most archetypes become "complete" and most everyone has the mechanics that they wanted for their character.

(2 STR,+2Con,-1 int,menacing relentless endurance, and savage attacks or massive build (massive build is same as powerful build, but you mady use two handed weapons as versatile weapons by reducing the die size when in use one handed)

what do you think of my non shitty orcs?

This, I have yet to play a character with 14+ Int without taking this feat and it's ludicrous how useful it is to essentially have a camcorder with you at all times.

My current game is the highest I've gotten, level 13 (almost 14), but that's because we're playing Tales from the Yawning Portal all the way through, and the GM + players are consistently not asshats.
Otherwise, pretty much never gotten into double digits. I always design my build concepts with level 6 - 7 in mind and just do the rest as I go

Cantrips = Mage Hand, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion.

1st level spells = Mage Armor, Shield, Find Familiar, Sleep, Detect Magic, Absorb Elements or Fog Cloud.

what sounds fun or cool or interesting to use?
what sort of role do you want your wizard to play, in and out of combat

I like these.
It's hard to say, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the number of options and if I'm being honest most of them look like traps rather than useful spells.

I was thinking of moving towards the illusion school but I wanted to see how the campaign panned out first.

Cantrips to consider:
>a ranged attack cantrip.
>a cover-producing cantrip, like Minor Illusion, Mold Earth, or Shape Water.
>a utility cantrip, like Light, Mage Hand, or Prestidigitation.
Light particularly important if you don't have darkvision.
A quick list of level 1 spells to consider:
>Find Familiar
>Detect Magic
>Mage Armor
>Shield
>Absorb Elements
>Sleep
>Chromatic Orb
>Grease
>Fog Cloud
>Tasha's Hideous Laughter

Keep in mind that Illusion is either REALLY GOOD or completely useless depending on how your DM interprets the spell descriptions or how he feels about them.

>cantrips
Mage Hand, a ranged attack of your choice (firebolt is most straightforward and highest damage, but you might like the effects on chill touch or ray of frost), and something with other utility -- maybe light if you don't have darkvision, etc.

WHO CAN STAND BEFORE MY MIGHTY CLERIC?

it's a lot easier to give advice for optimization if you have a goal or theme in mind, but I wouldn't even worry about it for your first wizard desu just take what sounds useful and get used to how spellcasting works

What would be a reasonable monster that, upon defeating with his cleric and bard friend, set my dude up to want to adventure?

A Rakshasa.

Rolled 20, 9, 15, 16, 6, 18 = 84 (6d20)

Goddamnit I messed it up.
Trying again, cleric hype.

Target a place close to them, none of their friends of family have to die but this guy wrecks the city or cities of their childhood. You want real malice he levels the city and salts the earth ensure all in the land know why.

>Rakshasa
Isn't that kind of high level?

Remember this is pre campaign shit. Level 1

Fiddle with the stat block and make it a young one.

I'm having a hard time picking a ranged attack cantrip because I don't really think elemental magic fits the character very well. I wanted to take Fire Bolt with Control Flame and Minor Illusion so that I could set things on fire and then do interesting things with that, but Control Flame doesn't work with magical fire and it kind of killed my interest in doing anything with fire at all.
Is Toll the Dead any good? I feel like it fits the theme of an illusionist a little better than blasting everything with fire.
My DM is a pretty understanding guy, I think it'll probably be okay.

Toll the Dead is also a really good damage cantrip. It's a good choice.

And if your DM treats illusion spells well then yeah, Illusion is reaaaaaaaal nice to have.

I guess I could...

I was thinking of some big enemy attacking the two and them stepping up to defeat it. Finding and killing a young Rakshasa could work?

I got to second level.

I have had, in the entire time I've played any sort of tabletop game, been a player a singular time. IRL drama between the DM and a player (both otherwise good friends) caused that game to stop existing.

And this is why I'll always be the DM - no one else can seem to go more than a session without getting into an argument about something dumb.

If they're level 1 it could've been a particularly stout goblin. Or maybe it was a barghest shapeshifted into a goblin! It caught you all by surprise and consumed your former friends' souls, only you escaped.

What level are you?
If 1 then pick a CR 1 monster that sounds cool and has a reasonable location out of the MM
You defeated an orc brigand leading a band of goblins, the money/fame/feeling of good you received after your victory pushed you into adventuring

Nah, the three of us have to had survived.

I can't imagine a 3 on 1 fight with a goblin being too difficult or noteworthy for the town to call them heroes.

How about a giant?

level 1 (or zero? Are you 0 if you're "not an adventurer"?) . Cleric and bard are party members and the three of us come from the same town

Highest I've ever gotten was level 5 and the game ran for like 6 months.

Chill Touch and Toll the Dead both do necrotic damage, and could be good choices. Toll the Dead does more, obviously, but the "can't regain hitpoints" effect on Chill Touch can be really good.

Can a party of 4-5 level ones take on a werewolf if I turn his BPS immunity into resistance?

Look up barghest. They aren't normal goblins. A giant would've turned you into bloodstains, an ogre might be reasonable.

I would consider this being what promoted you from average joe to rookie adventurer.
Personally I like my characters to start small rather than having killed some rare/powerful creature in the past.
Plus the sleepy little town under siege by a gang of criminals being rescued by a group of misfits is a pretty good trope. Think of just about any western

Damn nigga.

YEAH I'M RIPPED, COME AT ME.

gods i want to fuck laura bailey

Toll the dead is pretty great but I'd still personally recommend firebolt eventually, as you get higher levels things start getting better at making that save DC on toll the dead and take no damage at all, wheras AC doesn't really progress that much in 5e and it's easier to get advantage on a spell attack than it is getting disadvantage on a dudes wisdom save. Also the amount of times I've made use of fire to cause distractions by uhh, setting buildings on fire, cannot be understated.

>Also the amount of times I've made use of fire to cause distractions by uhh, setting buildings on fire, cannot be understated.

Is that why the orphanage burnt down last week?

Probably. He'll get mobbed and fucked by action economy, if the PCs have any crowd control. If the players get unlucky it could get nasty though, and you are aware they could get lycanthropy which could fuck your campaign?

Yeah, I agree. I'm not thinking of a dragon or anything like that. Just a sort of common enemy that could be a threat to a small village and would probably not be demolished in a 3 on 1 fight. Plus something that would make the town grateful enough to declare us heroes.

the barghest this guy mentionedseems to do the job, eh?

highest level? fucking 3.

too bad

I just recently finished a game that ended at level 17 and that was the highest I've gotten in 5e.

actually, damn. Wouldn't that be too powerful even 3v1? I'm not sure how to read challenge ratings but it's a 4

A lot of us do user, but this man would beat you to death with your own ripped off arm for trying.

FUCKING

ELVES

It has the "Fire Banishment" thing, so maybe you baited it into a flaming building or a trap and took advantage of that to take care of an otherwise overpowering foe?

HEXBLADE

TEXBLADE

/5EG/ MEMES

I'd rather the three of us fight and kill it even if we barely survive

Damn so a team of three pre-adventure level 1s would still have a hard time with one CR1 creature?

Any large CR1 monsters?

It's not outside the realm of possibility. If it stretches your suspension of disbelief, you could go with an ogre or something easier.

Coffelock

Highest I got in one campaign was level 10 or 11 I believe. In the AL my highest level character is level 15.

Whats the most basic list of reading material i need for running ebberon?

What the fuck does that mean?
I've seen it a few times now.

The other user has a point, the fire banishment thing would let you get beat the fuck up and nearly die then banish it by luring it into a building which you set on fire. You're still hailed as heroes for driving it off but because it's still alive there's the potential for your DM to drop it into the game at a later levels giving you a neat sidequest to track it down and finish it off for good. It's always good to have a backstory with options for the DM like that imo.

No, CR 1 is a manageable encounter for 3 level 1 adventurers. CR 2 or 3 is closer more like a "we barely survived" thing, CR 4 is pushing it. CR 5 or above is right out.

An ogre or yeti might be good.

A warlock/sorcerer multiclass that abuses RAW and the lack of the need for sleep to have infinite spell slots. Basically shit that any sane DM would immediately ban or punish the player for attempting.

It's the current flavor of the month broken build aka one that's technically possible RAW but no sane DM would allow.

I can't remember the particulars but it essentially abuses sorcerer features to gain unlimited warlock spell slots.

Going with the ogre

Thanks, Josh

From here - giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542159-Hexblade-Coffeelock

>Say you start as a Drow Hexblade-blade and take Elven Accuracy followed by GWM. Next, you take a suitable number of Sorcerer levels and pick up Quicken.

>Because of the Trance errata, you can long rest in four hours. This resets your spell slots. For the next four hours, you can take four short rests and convert your warlock spell slots to spell points at the start of each. Thus, each time the party takes a long rest, you can recover spell points equal to your sorcerer level plus your combined warlock spell slot levels - up to 43 sorcerery points on a level 9 warlock / 3 sorcerer.

>Our level 12 Hexblade Coffeelock casts darkness on himself. He can make two attacks from ten feet with a conjured glaive, rolling 6d20. He can make a bonus action attack if he crits or kills something, or he can Quicken Agonizing EB if he doesn't. In the latter case, he will have rolled 15d20 for his attacks.

Oh, I see.
Fuck sake.
Didn't we already go over that no DM would allow shit like this or nuclear druid in an actual game?

Yes, but memes will be memes.

pretty much. It's fun to theorise about, but the only time you'll see it used is with a new/shit DM that doesn't know what they're doing.

Which of the 5e adventures, except for phandelver, is good for a group of new players? We've tried a one-shot and they really enjoyed it and would like to go on a longer adventure and play regularly. Or would you recommend some community-made adventure instead?

Any of the not-dragon ones would honestly be fine. Curse of Strahd is probably the best one IMO. Tales is also pretty good if you're okay with just a bunch of dungeon crawls divorced from any real larger narrative. SKT is pretty skewed towards the lethal side, Tomb involves a lot of survival shit you may or may not want.