/tgesg/ - The Elder Scrolls General

Communism Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
[TES 5E Conversion] uestrpg.wixsite.com/home
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98
youtu.be/-bDntRWfL70
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

M8 we're all asleep.

I hope you all have extra comfy sleep tonight

thanks dude
I forget people actually go to bed sometimes

Got any more propaganda?

10/10
first for actual lore discussion though: how do some of Dagoth Ur's Ash Creatures see? You know the ones I'm talking about. Is it just through magic, or what?
this isn't really propaganda but here you go

What was Marukh?
Did Alessia really speak to him? Or Anu due to his Doctrines about the one true God?
Did Lorkhan (or Akatosh/Auriel) mean to oppose him through Wulfharth and why?

its not magic, its knowing. see, they got their minds blown (literally) by realizing they are just a figment in a dream, but unlike Vehk, Talos and others, they failed to deal with it and their mortal coil couldn't handle it. however, they still know, even if they don't really self realize anymore.

Yes.

that makes sense. thanks!

How does magic work in-universe? It really bothers me that entire tomes in Skyrim are require to learn a single spell, and I can't imagine an explanation for that.

>How does magic work in-universe?
Technically speaking, you're manipulating the dream into doing what you're commanding it to do, using power from Aetherius to do so.

Due to magicka coming in from Aetherius, you can will the dream into creating a fireball to throw at someone. You can trick the dream into thinking you can actually levitate. You can make the dream forget that a chest was locked. You make yourself believe you truly can breathe under water.

Using this same logic, you can manipulate the dream into letting you teleport into somewhere else (mark and recall).

The books are a convenient way for people to keep track of how to manipulate the dream using magicka (though levitation seems to have been forgotten pretty quick). This is all possible because Magnus made a quick escape, ripping a hole through Oblivion to let the light of Aetherius bathe Mundus with it's magic light.

>It really bothers me that entire tomes in Skyrim are require to learn a single spell, and I can't imagine an explanation for that.
Gameplay is not, and has never been, supposed to be a perfect representation of the lore. I don't see what's hard to get about that.

What is elf childhood like? When they reach maturity? When they are considered responsible adults? From one side, 17-year old Barenziah was having barbed dick sex, from the other Helseth in Daggerfall is 30-year old but looks like a teenager and kind of behaves like one. Not sure if Ayrenn is a proof in one or other side.

Priplyln?

>Priplyln?
No idea, I don't speak vodka-runes.

The fuck you on about m8y? that's the previous thread BEFORE the last previous thread.

Priplyli

Means, "we have sailed to our destination". Can also be slang for "fuck, it's all over".

Great image.

Anyone else love the lore and setting but just can't get into any of the games? It's like looking into a restaurant from the outside when your hungry, I want to engage in what i've been admiring and learning about but god damn these games got issues

The Ash creatures are just another piece of Dagoth's apparatus. They see and act through their own blind faith in him, his dream and guidance. He is their eyes, they let him show them the way.
We see what happens when they are cut off from Dagoth Ur, the Ash Zombies scream for his presence, are driven mad by their inability to feel him.

The Alessian god is Akatosh.
Wulfharth opposed the Alessians because their despotic rulership was threatening the time honoured traditions and nordic way of life. While Kjoric and Hoag before him had opposed the Alessians the same, Wulfharth acted with a whole new level of zealousy and completely purged the Alessians from Skyrim. For his actions people came to know him as the Ysmir, they also named him Shor's Tongue, as if Shor himself spoke through him.
Now think about this, was Wulfharth really carrying out Shor's direct will. Or was Wulfharth's zealotry just equated thusly. Consider how myths are born, and what they mean in TES.

So why didn't they zero-sum like the Dwemer?

The Dwemer didn't Zero-Sum, they became the Skin (actually the oversoul) of Numidium

How tolerant are the Redguard of Meridia worship? Our party is about to cross the border from Bangkorai and I need to know how secretive my character should be with their worship.

I feel as though they might be grudgingly accepting of Meridia due to her hatred of all things undead, but on the other hand, she's a daedra, soooooo...

The probably won't give a shit so long as you don't go around spouting out about Meridia all over the place.

I never got where the whole "dwemer zero-summed" idea came from other than a fundamental misunderstanding of both the dwemer and CHIM.

It was very early on in terms of when that idea was thought up. You're right, there was a fundamental misunderstanding of them, but I'm pretty sure that was even before Oblivion came out that people were speculating about where they went.

Meridia a bitch, hope Molag rapes her

I hate that I like Owyn, he's such a bitch ass but he's sassy as hell.

morrowind is good for its sandboxyness but the combat sucks.

Oblivion is nice and approachable (potatoface aside) but lacks some of the neater aspects of morrowind. makes up for it with things like poison.

skyrim is trash. its pretty trash, but its trash.

you sound like a contrarian, for all that skyrim does wrong it has qualities far superior than the other games

oblivion has damage-sponge syndrome though if you use weapons and don't perfectly level
morrowind's combat is fine, it's just not pretty
skyrim has a lot of positive qualities it's just restrictive

Oblivion has damage sponge syndrome when you level perfectly too.

I mean, it isn't as bad with a Blade skill at 100 and Goldbrand but yeah, it's still spongy.
I doubt they'd care too much.

It depends, I guess. If it's after the Oblivion Crisis you're going to be viewed very negatively, but in general terms it should probably be alright unless you go proselytising.

I feel similarly. I could rant about the strengths and weaknesses of each game, but really the main reason I don't play is that sandbox games have started to bore me - there's only so much I can really do and so much I want to do, even with a game like Morrowind that gives me a lot of options or Oblivion that starts me in the center of the map and lets me go wherever I want.

That's a question I can't really answer - I think they generally prefer their own pantheon. I'm not sure how they feel about the daedra and aedra at all.

Mind naming the list of things Skyrim does better?

Not the guy, just really wondering how people see Skyrim compared to Morrowind and Oblivion.

I hope it's who gets Molag'ed

I know LYGALYGALYG started as a no longer intelligible creation of the Monkey Kings, but what is it now?

MK said it wasn't a previous Kalpa, and that fits when you read about origins of Dagon. Dagon was originally a Leaper Demon King, but he got caught secreting away parts of the Kalpa before it was eaten by Alduin, and cursed until he finds all that he stole and destroys it. He hid stuff with his buddy, the Greedy Man in lots of weird places. One of these places, Lyg, with help from Meridia became parallel Tamriel.

Greedy Man became Ruddy Man, built a Tower in Lyg, and ruled over it with the Dreugh. Meridia didn't like that at all, especially since it was underwater, and told Dagon to fuck it up. But hold on, wasn't the previous Kalpa ruled by the Dreugh? Also, wasn't Ruddy Man from a previous Kalpa? Unless it is pure coincidence with the Dreugh, and Ruddy got cursed and only became Molag Bal in this Kalpa, it seems to point that Lyg is both a parallel Tamriel created by Meridia, and from a previous Kalpa. Which is it?

Not him, but I can think of a few small things Skyrim does better.

The dungeons are less visually boring, even if they tend to be more mechanically boring. There's more growing things, interesting things to see, occasionally even being a bit vertical. It's mostly draugr ruins, but there are a few icy caves or dwemer ruins or even overgrown spriggan nests - a lot better than Oblivion's 'everything is gray,' definitely.

Skyrim also does better with NPCs travelling around the map. It uses more random spawns rather than unique NPCs going from town to town like Oblivion occasionally did, but it makes the world feel a bit more populated when you meet NPCs on the road.

Skyrim's amount of spells is paltry compared to older games, and I hate the lost of mysticism. But I like how they make even the low-level spells still feel useful even a fair way into the game through the perks and such. Oblivion had a problem where if you didn't regularly get better with magic and get better spells, you might as well stop using it, and your earliest spells became useless clutter. I haven't played around with Morrowind enough to know, but I imagine it has a similar problem. I don't like how spells take up a hand (Oblivion did well in allowing casting even with a sword and shield), but even the basic ones feel good to use - you don't have to awkwardly aim or rapidly switch from casting to melee.

The cooking system was kind of fun. It was nice to have food not be treated like potion ingredients, and it wasn't tied to stats so it didn't really take effort. Even after I stopped picking up potion ingredients (potions are everywhere anyway), I kept picking up food.

Skyrim still has a lot of problems in my mind though, don't get me wrong. It doesn't help that I feel like I've seen and explored it all, so there's no real reason to go back to it.

>57887993
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMUUUUUUUUUNISM!??!?!?!??!?!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm kinda confused by all this stuff. I just want more comfy old school mundane ES lore, the stuff about how people live their lives.

So who's right in the end, the empire or the stormcloacks?

I feel the Empire is more correct than the latter.

Empire. But this isn't really a worthwhile argument to have nearly six years after the fact, and frankly I'm amazed that Bethesda managed the level of 'moral ambiguity' they did.

I never liked these outfits, the helmet on the Legionnaire just feels off to me.

I also feel like "fantasy Roman" is always kinda played out too aesthetically close to real Romans.

The Greedy Man was unstuck from the Kalpic cycle after trying to hide himself from Alduin.
>"He knows my bargain with the king of leapers, I'd better hide under my mountain!" but he thought and said all this too fast and, without thinking, hid under his mountain even though its base had already been eaten and so it wasn't all still there. (This is how the Greedy Man became trapped both in and outside of kalpas.)

The thing is that you don't have to pick one. You can have both a greater cosmology and a detailed look at regular life, and often there's a connection between those.

Yeah, I get that, I like the cosmology but sometimes I just go "nani the fuck" with it.

I kinda do miss Oblivion's Imperial Legion. I know it's just LotR pandering or whatever, but it was at least different. Would have been cool to have each Imperial faction look different by province - the Morrowind Legion might have needed to emphasize its Imperial-ness.

I know it might piss people off, but I did like some of ESO's Imperial Legion, it was a good mix of Roman and medieval plate.

Empire desu, the Stormcloaks were playing right into Thalmor hands and for what? To be Nord-nationalists and kick out all the Dunmer, to prove they have big dicks?

Greedy Man is not Ruddy Man.
Meridia has nothing to do with Lyg.

I have no idea what they look like, so eh. I actually kind of liked the ESO Breton armors, even if I think they made the Bretons pretty boring.

Yes, I know the Bretons were already pretty boring, but there was potential to not be boring.

What does this one translate to?

It's Objectively fruitless in the end. Mer societies excelled with magic and created utopias.

The Empires have only degraded and left magic to habitually rot over the ages. The Nords now fear something that is literally capable of anyone. The Empire never utilised Magic in anyway other then museums, trophies and heirlooms.

Let it all die I say. I'm not an elf sympathiser but men only have a capable empire when given a divine a blessed ruler, and since none have shown themselves it's not the Dragonborn's job to be that guy.

Sybille Stentor says it best

Why Was Torygg killed?
>Because Ulfric needed a symbol. Someone he could defeat who represented the Empire, the White-Gold Concordat, the banning of Talos worship. Torygg's father Istlod had held Skyrim together for nearly twenty-five years. When he died, Torygg became that symbol.
So the war started when Istlod died?
>No. Even after Istlod died, the Moot voted to make Torygg High King of Skyrim. But Ulfric was at that moot, continually talking about Skyrim's independence in terms just shy of treason. I don't think Ulfric knew how much Torygg respected him for that. If Ulfric had asked Torygg directly to stand up, to declare independence, Torygg might have done it.
Why didn’t Torygg ever declare independence?
>Because the Dominion is a sleeping beast that Skyrim cannot slay alone. Because many Nords are part of the Imperial army even now. Because the food and resources we get from the Empire are important to our people. Because even if we can't openly worship him, Talos the god was once Tiber Septim the man, and this is his Empire. And Torygg wasn't ready to let it fall apart.

>Legion
>ESO
How? The Empire doesn't exist at this point.

I think he means the general Imperial armor, which is okay. Order of the Hour is better for your religious roman legions though.

Torygg overestimated the ability of the Dominion as far as I'm concerned. Redguard managed to push them out of their province and I don't see why others can't. Plus there are like 4 roads into skyrim, 2 of which come from morrowind, and 1 from hammerfel: it'd literally be a matter of fortifying one road and keeping your eyes out for the inevitable sneaky shit. That and making alliances with the powers in the other independent provinces adjacent to them. More Nord legionaries means more trained men able to defend their homeland since their king's making the call.

Plus the Empire's basically gone already: from what I understand, aside from skyrim they have cyrodil, high rock (who mostly stick to their own affairs), and some scattered outposts. It wasn't the first empire and won't be the last.

You gotta learn to let go of things: the world is a dream for you to enjoy, and you can't get too attached to scenes in a dream. They pass as quickly as the narrative allows. Because of that, the correct answer for these, as much arguments as you can muster for either side, will always be "which one do you like more?" and that's the end of it.

For me it's the Stormcloaks for the justice of them being shitty to those dark elves. Who's the n'wah now fuckers?

According to ESO lore, the Legion existed under the warlord emperors of the period.

>
I meant just the general armor, yeah. Not familiar with Order of the Hour, though.

"Sow the blight! Sow Corprus! Let them bring joy to our guests!"

>it's not the Dragonborn's job to be that guy.
It kind of is though, he or she is blessed by Akatosh just like Alessia and Tiber Septim

And the Dragonborn killed Titus Mede

Alright, but even then this doesn't answer the confusion I had. Let me say it clearer:

>Lyg was ruled by Dreugh
>Previous Kalpa was ruled by Dreugh

>Ruddy Man ruled over Dreugh in Lyg
>Ruddy Man was from a previous Kalpa

>MK: Lyg is not previous Kalpa

It feels like Lyg was supposed to be one thing but then somebody changed it/forgot or something

Sounds like Lyg is only an illusion of the last kalpa

>Redguard managed to push them out of their province
With the help of the legion.

Lyg is an Adjacent Place.

Neither is right, what I do know is the Empire is really deep on the side of wrong and has really overstayed its welcome.

Tell me about the Argonians

They're cute lizards that live in symbiosis with cute trees.

Lizard are slave races.

Slaves to my desires.

Argonian music:
>I thought they should use the marsh itself as their primary musical instrument like the Baka Forest People use rivers. And play lots of odd percussion instruments like water drums and bohdans and djimbes and udus. And make slowed-down bird-call noises.

They come in many varieties:
>As they slid through the water, Shehs explained to Scotti that the Agacephs were one of the many Argonian tribes that lived in the interior of the province, near the Hist, finding little in the outside world worth seeing. He was fortunate to have been found by them. The Nagas, the toad-like Paatru, and the winged Sarpa would have killed him on the spot.

Ancient Lilmoth:
>He stood there, no longer seeing the crumbling, rotted Imperial warehouses, but instead a city of monstrous stone ziggurats and statues pushing up to the sky, a place of glory and madness. He felt it tremor around him, smelled anise and burning cinnamon, and heard chanting in antique tongues. His heart thumped oddly as he watched the two moons heave themselves through the low mist of smoke and fog that rolled through the streets, and the waters surged beneath them, around them, beyond the sky.

Their soul-cycle is funky:
>Mere-Glim wondered what would happen if he died. It was generally believed that Argonians had been given their souls by the Hist, and when one died, one’s soul returned to them, to be incarnated once more. That seemed reasonable enough, under ordinary circumstances. In the deepest parts of his dreams or profound thinking were images, scents, tastes that the part of him that was sentient could not remember experiencing.

About that soul thing, could the Hist give a reborn argonian their previous life's memories back, should they wish to?

Probably.

Tell me, what is the comfiest time and place to be in Tamriel?

I hear the Shivering Isles are lovely this time of the year. Really, do come in. Perfect time for a visit

Sounds fun, I'll bring me mates

seyda neen in the 3rd era, come and fuck with fargoth, it's great

My interpretation is that Lyg bacame the Coldharbour after being destroyed by Mehrunes.

Lyg is still there, Coldharbour however is the image of Lyg seen by Molag Bal after it got raised by Mehrunes. And since Molag Bal was ruled over Lyg once, that might explain why he's not a nice guy.

literally the only time in argonians' and the hists' history that they've been cool was the oblivion crisis and umbriel. one was extremely recently and the other had nothing to do with black marsh. other than that they're such pushovers and have had an embarrassing history of constantly getting their asses kicked and enslaved

And why couldn't legion covertly help a Toryyg led lawful secession that was stealthily preparing to help what's left of the Empire and what's left the empire to fuck up the dominion if they could get away with helping hammerfel?

And make slow-down bird-call noises.

youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

ONE JOB user-KUN

If they do a multiprovince game, something similar to the part around 35 seconds should be the flavor music for entering Black March the first time.

The Black Marsh is toxic to anyone but Argonian. They retained dissolute tribal systems and never developed large military forces because they could always just retreat deeper into the Marsh where non-Argonians can't follow to escape.

Blame Douglas Goodall for writing that, not me.

I actually saw Huun-Huur-Tu live a couple of weeks ago. Shit was real good. Worth seeing if they're ever in your area.
youtu.be/-bDntRWfL70

Stormcloaks. The dying empire has to be reborn anew with a new Nord Dragonborn from Skyrim, just like Talos did
You got anymore of those types of Imperial armors? I actually like that aesthetic

>Blame Douglas Goodall for writing that, not me.

Guy sounds like a lore brainlet dipshit. Where the fuck are a bunch of lizards who thinks trees are gods gonna get the shit to make drums?

>Nord Dragonborn
LMAO

DB isn't a Nord

>I never liked these outfits, the helmet on the Legionnaire just feels off to me.

He's a Morrowind Legionnaire. The helmet is supposed to make the locals feel more comfortable because they're modeled after bonemold helms.

Except he is

That's right. She's a Bosmer. A qt Bosmer at that.

DB is Nerevar reborn

Are we gonna need a Warp in the Northeast to get you dipshits to shut up.

>STORMCLOAKS AND EMPIRE BOTH WIN SIMULTANEOUSLY DB WAS EVERYONE OF EVERY RACE ALL ALONG

well, there was a time wound on the top of a tower
and that seems like a particularity fun combination

So was Marukh an Imga, a Tang Mo or just a figurative monkey?