/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Happy Thug has the best eyebrows ever, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-02-09 - Still getting worked on & now has 24113 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

>Seven took the music in a more interesting direction with a rock band.

That's an idol group, user.
This is Jpop, not Kpop where it has to be a group of virgin, genetically modified girls who have had their vocal chords replaced with Samsung speakers.

Japanese idol is a singer with added value. Basara and Mylene were exactly that, just like Mylene or even Sharon were virtual idols even if the dog eaters would call them "mere" singers.

dead thread is dead.

Why would I post here when I can go watch Olympics featuring extremely fit women in extremely tight spandex?

Sharon Apple....good memories. I think Macross peaked with Plus.

Thread looks slow. How about lance suggestions?

Playing a game tomorrow against a guy who prefers Dracs and introtech. He's rolling with:
>Warhammer-K
>Phoenix Hawk-K
>Atlas AS7-D
>Dragon 1N
BV of 5400. Hilly terrain.

I'm playing a Lyran force. What kind of lance might /btg/ recommend?

Anybody got mech nose art?

>Anybody got mech nose art?

You mean pictures of mechs with nose art on them, or nose art that is meant to be on mechs... or either one?

Hilly terrain limits long range direct fire opportunities, so an archer or catapult would be a strong choice (I'd go with the archer personally)

More the former than the latter, but either works.

Most of the nose art I have left over from The Hangar is for actual 20th-century military aircraft or the Anna Millers Restaurant, but there are a few (like pic related and the Destroid Spartan in ) that are meant specifically for mecha.

Quad mechs can be fun on hilly terrain, so maybe a scorpion or goliath?

>jump on their heads

Mechwarrior quirks? My mechwarrior has terrible hematophobia, so he exclusively uses energy weapons and inferno rounds because they are unlikely to leave blood spatters.

Lewd!

Rate my 8k BV force

Four Wolfhounds and use extra BV to adjust pilot/gunnery skill.

No Quikscell/10

Broken Wheel is disappointed with your shameful display.

Ain't nothing but a hound dog/10
But seriously, it's a solid brick of a lance that can deal with fastmover cheese mediums AND not shit the bed and die against shooty heavies

Alright anons, 3A and I want to go over what units we have as of right now for the TRO that have completed art. Some of these are still barebones fluffwise, while others have a full entry with manufacturers. Commentary by 3A.

Mechs:
Quicksilver - FedSuns 30 tons, fast BC3 scout with reflective
Kitefin - Clan Sea Fox 35 tons, average speed omni with harjel and water usage.
Knight - Clan Wolf 35 tos, Shielded close-range omni
Jagdhund - Lyran 35 tons, Slow bodyguard for assaults
Juzumaru - DCMS 50 tons, strike medium with slightly odd weapons
Emerald Wing - Jade Falcon 55 ton, it flies.
Gewitter - Lyran 55 ton, mobile Thumper and remote observation.
Mystic - FWL 65 tons, clan protectorate omni for Spirit Cats
Kossandra - MoC 65 tons, mess design with two big guns but little else
Warlock - FWL 70 tons, fast cLRMs with Tcomped MVSPL
Brass Bull - Taurian 70 tons, melee and headcapper spam
Savage woodsman - CWiE 75 tons, Woodsman 2.0, NOT OUR DESIGN WOO!
Xing Tian - Capfag 85 tons, shielded mini-zerker
Semiramis - MoC 85 tons, overgrown heavy
Thane - Ghost Bear 90 tons, durable assault
Novastar - FWL 95 tons, durable Blue Shield Nova Cat assault
Broadside - FedSuns 100 ton, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA assault
Ironclad - IS General/Merc 100 tons, lowtech assault
Graulich - Lyran 100 tons, "fuck your BA" or siege assault

The next post will contain the BA and Vehicles completed. If you have questions about a specific design, let us/me know.

So, what empty spots are you looking to fill?

Battle Armor:
Velite - Marian Hegemony PA(L), lightweight TAG and OS SRM volley
Geist - Clan Sea Fox Light BA, clan spec ops fuckery
Ravana - Regulan BA, swarm attacker (currently tracking the stats down for this, they seem to have walked the fuck off)
Deathblossom - Clan Hell's Horses Heavy BA, enough missilespam to make HG sue
Castellan - FedSuns Heavy BA, minepooping frog
Pangolin - Capellan Assault BA, fire fire everywhere
Makhaira - FWL Assault BA, mimetic guns

Vees:
Dragonfly - Andurien 30 ton VTOL, Omni sold everywhere except to enemies
Hulagu - CHH 70 ton tank, fast generalist

Designs that have passed that aren't ours and don't have art are:
Gnat - unknown 55 ton, maximum dickbag annoyance mech. Done by Iteration Drive.
Widowmaker - DCMS 75 ton, Cavalry heavy tough vs everything but lasers. Done by Sam M.

Good question. The next post will have what designs we've got that are unfinished art wise, stuff we've set aside because we didn't like it, and designs we got deadlocked on before Muninn disappeared. Right now we have an extreme lack of completed (with art) Medium mechs.

>I think Macross peaked with Plus.

It's okay, user. Being mega pleb with horrible opinions is not punishable, even if it really should be.

I bet you think Violet Evergarden is the anime of the decade and unironically watched Castlevania on Netflix.

I almost forgot the 2 Superheavy mechs we have that I did, but never art for.
Konig Elefanten - Lyran 145t - Triple Gauss turret with 4 cLRM-15s.
Shimmering Sword - PGI one off/RotS 185t - artillery mech banned from Immortal Warrior Online.

Medium Mechs
Yes:
Alliance - CSR 45t - Mixtech second line omni
Lamassu - No faction 55t - Partial Wing jumping Quad
Gastraphetes - placeholder name/no faction 50t - SRMs and Narc
Vigil - RotS 50t - Homegrown Clan Omnimech, fixed Angel ECM

Maybe (NF is No Faction):
Bahadur NF 55t - 3/5/5 Pocket Heavy omni, on its 10th(?) revision by NG
Harlequin NF 45t - 8/12 XXL Mixtech abomination, 4 cERML, 2 cSSRM4s, RHS, CLPS and TSM
Misericode NF 50t - TSEMP + 2 capped LPPCs
Photon NF 55t - 5/8/8 Stealth armor with AES SNPPC and Angel
Pilum NF 45t - Omni stealth generalist. Uses a cUAC/5, Capped LPPC and an iHML.
Shadow Wolf 50t - Ted the Generic Guy Clan Omni but with Stealth armor
Falchion FS 50t - REEE LL and 2 LAC/5s. 4/6 with ES and FF.
Venator MH 50t - Mech Mortar/MML generalist
Sabretooth NF 50t - Quad TSM/Laser spam
Skirmisher (various) - 5 designs that were all similar, but no one was best. I preferred my own, but only for the LGR
Zatoichi NF 50t - AES L Vibroblade and cERPPC. Plus an Interface Cockpit because I have no idea.

No will have their own post. If there's anything you want detail on, post and I'll get an overview going.

CA, not to add extra work for nothing, but does the meximechs matter? Inker / Buttpants' work and such was kind of fun. I don't know the full amount of insane amount of work for a project like this, so, just asking.

If the people who created them want the Meximechs in the book, and 3A's okay with it, I don't mind. I'd lean towards a Crittertek style inclusion, since the art is a bit uh, over the top for a standard TRO.

They deserve their own silly little TRO, styled like a menu, rather than throwing them into something where they don't fit

We should get Inker to color them and do up a cover, Taco Bell menu style.

I've actually got a design that could be thrown straight in provided the guy who did the art for it shows up here again and gives the OK, but it's a periphery assault which you've already got one of, so I dunno

Any aero or Warships?

Some stuff from GreekFire (who's AWOL), and NEA, who provided us some neat ASFs and Dropships for mercenaries. There's also the Jormungandr WS I made, which is probably an over optimized Battle Carrier, built originally for the Word of Blake lost, then captured by the Republic. In my more ambitious moments, I was going to make the fluff text white on a white background next to the picture as a pseudo ISP entry.

Huh. Did you guys not get the ROTS WarShips?

We probably did, but I'm not at my computer at the moment, so I'm not sure what we have. I just have the Jormungandr on my phone.

To further clarify, the "yes, no, maybe" was what we had sorted them into when the project went on ice (Yes being all three of us liked it, maybe being 2 of us did, No being 1-0 of us). This is mainly a listing of everything, and we're probably to dump them back into a pot and re-solicit or ask for community interest for deciding.

Light Mechs
>Yes
Barracuda - Sea Fox 30t, what happens if a Solitaire and a Piranha have a baby
Geist - LC 15t, CLPS, speed, and reflec or reactive.
Chai Lang - CC 35t, Quad Jackal with stealth armor
Hurricane - Generic 20t, fast SRM/MMLs with CHS
Skirmisher - Merc 25t, omni-armor fluff (weapons fixed, armor easily changed)
Cinqueada - NF 35t, AES with AES LPPCs. Amalgamation of like 7 different designs on this concept.
Sicarius - RotS 30t, fancy tech assassination mech
Savage - NF 30t, Talon abuse

>Maybe
Cameroon II/III - RotS/CC 25t, Omni of same linage as Ice-storm, CC stole some plans and made stealth version
Recluse - NF 20t, quad bug mech with turret
Tabiranth - LC 30t, fast light meant to punch above its weight
Bronco - CHH 25t, little pain quad scout
Headhunter - NF 30t, fast LVSPL with AES.
Mirage - NF 25t, mix of two designs (Pawn and unnamed) that did CLPS and APGRs
Murakumo - DC 35t, fancy panther
Omnimando - LC 30t, Omni version of the commando with nice loadouts
Spirit Vision - NF ??t, bunch of empty files and contradictions
Voodoo - FWL 35t, mixtech spotter abuse.

>No
Baravua - NF 30t, X-pluse and NARC
Riever - Pirate 35t, Very high tech pirate-made mech.
Tsuchigumo - DC 30t, mixtech reactive BC3 spotter
Blue Streak - NF(clan?) 25t iHLL with legs, interface cockpit, and cLPS
HLtripod - RotS 25t, basically a RISC hyperlaser on a tripod (I liked this one, at least)

MoC heavy.

Periphery factions don't get heavies.

>Fags who left Titan and O'Neil as wreckage and didn't bother upgrading their ASF stuff for fifty years
>Building warships

It's absurd they have the Castrum as it is.

True but the MoC needs something heavier that's not shit.

The Damn Capellan Suburb will get surplus Cruds, Thunders and Phracts and like it.

Don't start.

Actually that would be cool. The MoC doesn't have the industrial history or the intellectuals to design and manufacture new high tech designs, but new variants of classics is within their capabilities.

technically speaking, were't the canopians the only faction that built mechs that *didn't* build a heavy in 3025?

It's called "buying century old Warhammers on the secondary market"

Actually, I was being pretty truthful. The MoC are so tied to the hip in the late DA that you have things like the male officers jumping ship in droves to the Capellan army for better prospects of promotion. They're Fedcom level of integrated by the 3130's.

yes. Even the outworlders had the merlin

Outworlds only built bugs until the Merlin in 3010. So for about five hundred years all they had were the bugs.

I forgot that.

I can't believe with as whitewashed as the MoC has been they still have the systemic sexism going on.

>or the intellectuals to design

Mostly this. It's a faction of all women, after all, and women are terrible at everything that doesn't focus on feelings.

>I can't believe with as whitewashed as the MoC has been they still have the systemic sexism going on.

Honestly, that's what make them interesting. If they didn't have that, the don't fill a niche that isn't filled by somebody, better, somewhere else.

We just hate the idea of a female-controlled state because we hate and fear women, and don't think it's fair that they get to control sex.

And as a quick diversion from mechs because I like them too much (and because I can do it wile doing AToW), the Protomechs. All of which are from Greekfire or myself, because nobody else seems to like them.

>Yes
Dullahan - NF 10t, support design that uses handhelds for extra oomf
Manticore - CHH 11t, urban combat design that uses stuff not seen on other protos

>Maybe
Typhon - CSR 13t, glider proto with speed, armor and micro pulse
Stymphalian - CSR 12t, glider proto with less speed/armor but with Ewar and punch
Harpy II - NF 3t, jumpy "super-elemental" design

(we're probably going to issue a design challenge for a proto in the weight range of the two gliders, see if anyone else has good ideas)

>No
"Shut up about..." - NF 15t, unimaginative LPL/iHLL/TSEMP on tiny legs that I made to keep CA off my butt
Rusalka - NF 5t, UMU+LRT tube abuse that works better as NTNU

They were, and still mostly are, uneducated as fuck. Only half a step above the Outworlds. Their medical tech is half a meme. Look at the US: some of the best medicine in the world that people all across the globe travel there for, but an incredibly undereducated population. With its sexism and casual slavery, the MoC is probably the most 1% realm in BT. Even the Capellans give their people better educations.

Half true.

>we
Speak for yourself m8

Dude, come on. There's plenty of genuine criticism not rooted in the fact it's a matriarchy. You think all criticism of House Liao is rooted in sinophobia?

What's even scarier is the systematic racism in the Capellan army. The badass MAC is like 90% Chinese names by 3135 and the children of the heroes of old are treated as useless relics or mascots.

I've been saying this for years and I'll say it again here, the canopians should have simply been highly dependent on having a shitton of mercenaries around from the getgo, like, in 3025 they should have had ~8 merc and 3 regular regiments, and kept that up, so their laughably dire industrial situation and general atmosphere of 'minor periphery state but big' wouldn't be a problem in terms of making them meaningfully able to interact with the rest of the setting on a military level

>You think all criticism of House Liao is rooted in sinophobia?

Yes.

But that's only because I'm Chinese, and you fucker DO hate us.

just mainlanders

>Speak for yourself m8

Not him, but it is pretty bullshit that we have to beg women for sex. One gender shouldn't get complete gatekeeping control over something that important.

Sad!

lol you should try trolling on /pol/

I'm sure you're baiting but if you have to beg your wife/gf for sex you've fucked up somewhere.

OK, so not "beg" per se.

But that whole thing about "men have to ask, it's women who have the power to say no" is also shit. I don't like having my sex drive held hostage by somebody else; they're the ones who (legally) get to decide whether we get to have sex or not. That's not right. Given how central the sex drive is, it's like saying "oh, it's OK that men get to give women permission to eat". Sure, in a consensual situation that's fine, but it's bullshit that it applies to everyone in the world and you get no "opt out".

you can always fuck dudes or pay for it, and you can also fuck off back to your home over in /r9k/

The old periphery flavor was

>Taurians: boys who were a true state in the good old days and actually clawing their way back up to a position of respect
>Canopians: a true grand old state declining into barbarity and little better than pirates
>Marians: rich pirates trying to legitimize themselves into a proper state
>Outworlds: a state declining and dying but with dignity, strong enough to keep the pirates away but unable to feed their own people

So they were all these different functions of civilized or barbaric in upswing or downswing. Like the Circinians were the same flavor as the Marians but less rich and didn't give a fuck about how the IS saw them. They reveled in the pirate label. Main problem is all these guys that had their own niche got everything turned topsy turvey when suddenly everyone was on the upswing.

Don't take this personal but maybe this is a topic you should take elsewhere.

Were the Canopians ever a grand old state? They seemed always borderline bandit-kingdom but kept in the realm of legitimacy with their pleasure circuses and exported doctors.

>Were the Canopians ever a grand old state?
Before the Reunification War.

They were pretty much Outworlds tier back then though.

Outworlds were a pretty decent state before they went into terrible decline. Agrarian, but a real state.

My bad. I guess I had a different impression of what a 'grand old state' was but I realize it's really subjective anyway. Given the Magistracy was only 47 years old at the time of the Reunification War, however, it wasn't really old and it wouldn't have reasonably have been developed enough to be grand. Again, subjective interpretations. The Concordat, being something like two and half centuries old at the beginning of the war would definitely be a grand old state.
Have you played Stellaris? It has these factions called "fallen empires" and I was just thinking how the Concordat reminds me of one a little.

>Have you played Stellaris? It has these factions called "fallen empires" and I was just thinking how the Concordat reminds me of one a little.
Problem there is that the Concordat never gets to be anything more than a fallen failure. It never gets its day in the sun, it doesn't have the advanced tech of a true Fallen Empire, and it has zero chance of awakening when roused. It's the archtypical declined state: it has been beaten down and suffered so much that it can't have anything nice anymore and limps by on its neighbors apathy.

Last good space game I played was Sins of a Solar Empire. It's been a long time. Is Stellaris worth checking out?

Children, please. This is a mech discussion, not a "which waifu is better" one.

Heavy mechs by category
Yes:
Ascalon - FS 75t - Blue Shield, CERPPC and cERLL with cAMS and MRELLs.
Cave Bear - Ghost Bear 75t - AES LRM-20s with ArtV
Covenant - FWL 60t - 3x SSRM-2, ERPPC, cERLL and 3x cERML. Feels like a TR:3050 book
Invictus - RotS 60t - Incomplete, Omni with fixed RA AES. In here because Muninn wanted it, we generally kicked unfinished mechs.
Jiu Yin - CC 60t - Stealth Omni like a Vandal, but not dumb in its prime configuration.
Speartooth - CSF 70t - Torso cockpit with head turret. Base has 4 LRM-10, Second has 4 SRM-6 in the head.
Wrach/Nemes - RotS 70t Quad - Wrach is my version, 70t quad B Part Celestial turned line mech for the Republic, limited Clan parts. Nemes is Muninn's, goes full retard with clan tech.
Zulkari - Goliath Scorpion 60t Omni - Using the weird not quite Clantech in SSW. Like most of Muninn's designs, basically no fluff.

The maybe list will take a bit, I'm baking.

That's why I said a little. It's day in the sun was also what killed it: holding back the SLDF for 20 years. And, in particular with the writers BT has had, it really will never get better. It'll never get back to even its 3060 era prosperity. We'll never see a reunification with the Calderon Protectorate. Just... lingering on.

It's pretty fun.

Just picked these up to start out with. Are they enough?

I see a King Crab. You did alright, user. Also, that is some serious overkill to start out the game.

>Nothing painted
>Appropriate goodies mixed with stuff everybody owns a mini of but never uses like the Shogun
>Unseen Fire Lance box
>Old Ral Partha DnD Dark Wyvern

Good haul. What did you pay for it?

>Heavy mechs by category

Suns, GB, and CapCon shouldn't get any more heavy mechs. They have enough.

>CapCon has enough heavies
wat?

About $6 a pack. That aint a Ral Partha Wyvern, thats a Tony Ackland one.

>literally nothing for the dracs
Y'all suck

Macross 7 wasnt bad....but neither good.
Didnt like Frontier. And Delta is horrible.

Also, no idea about Violet Evergarden, and i dont use Netflix. Wasnt Castlevania a game?

Maybe list is below. I hate the lack of clear arrangement in these folders by the way. Most of these don't have fluff.

Andraste: MoC (I think) 75t - Stealth armor, gauss, capped ER PPC
Armiger: Brotherhood of Randis 60t - FF and ES (somehow) with standard lasers with insulators, a Capped PPC and a hatchet.
DoA Mech: 4 designs that were going to be something eventually, but none of them share any characteristics, and the fluff talks about HPGs.
Eurydice: NF 65t - Ballistic Reinforced armor, HPPC, MML9. Feels like a Thunderbolt. Probably MoC, but no fluff.
Grim: NF 70t - Multi UAC/5 carrier.
Khopesh: NF 65t - Sword, PR and ATM-6 as the primary weapons.
Marden: NF 75t - Something I designed for my TT game, torso mounted cockpit with head mounted weapon, Muninn radically altered it to have the ammo in the head
Ravana: NF 65t - Punching mech with TSM and spikes.
Secutor: MH 60t - LB-10, PPC and 6 RL-10
Stalking Wolf: CWiE 70t - Quad with a turreted gauss and a PC in its first two configurations, a 70t 5/8/8 Wraith in its 3rd. Fluffed.
Strongarm: Incomplete, no fluff. Muninn again.
Theseus: FWL 70t - Fixed RT turret, with a fixed ERLL and 2 ERML in the arms. Extreme generalist. Fluffed.

We have the Juzumaru and that's almost it. Nobody really submitted any, IIRC.

Gotta have more for the CC and MoC

Also true. Muninn has a hardon (hue) for the MoC, and made a bunch for them.

Hey CampaignAnon, how developed the TRO project is? It is possible to summit a Vee entry?

>Armiger: Brotherhood of Randis 60t - FF and ES (somehow) with standard lasers with insulators, a Capped PPC and a hatchet.
Maybe make it a joint design with the CP and Filtvelt, put together they would make entirely reasonable sense for a design at that level

Depends on the type of vee, but oddly we have a ton of vehicles. Except for boats.

Clearly, what this TRO needs is a joint drac/taurian assault, some cool new drac/general mediums and a Mackie IIC

There's the Widowmaker up in The real hardon is for the FWL, which has a lot of mixtech and very good designs.

>Dracs giving a shit about the Taurians
Not in this universe.

Jokes aside some sort of Drac/Taurian alliance would have been interesting.

more drac mechs would be nice

Dracs are pretty antithetical to alliances. It's the main downside of their cultural supremacy stuff. If only they could actually get properly united again which is supposed to be the main advantage of all that.

A tracked tank, but maybe you get tons of them.

They're honestly on the same page about a lot of things
>Light PPC troopers: Very Yes
>mediums?: nah, fast heavies and slow lights are superior
>alternating between extremely brief moments of competence when there's peace on and extinction-level jobbing?: [sad agreement]