Connected to JohnsonNet

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>Trump_The_Art_of_The_Deal.pdf
>High_Stakes_Negotiation.sim
>Intimidation_For_Dummies.knwsft
>Why_You_Shouldnt_Double_Cross_Runners.thread

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 720 (32% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'So, when are we getting paid?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running GettingShotByRunners.BTL...

>Watch your tone
>Don't shoot first
>Save money
>And never, ever buy CGL stock

Johnson Edition
>Who's been your best Johnson idea?
>What kind of pay should your runners get?
>Is letting them keep the gold a little too much?

>Trump_The_Art_of_The_Deal
Lol

The Johnson's my runner had met so far all belong to the same category.
Snarky assholes who act like they own the world and the runners are just some lackeys or even bitches to clean after them and not means to an end/required professionals.

We even had a Johnson in the past who set up a test run, literally he spent time and resources to set up a easy fake run just too judge how well we work, instead of sending us to an actual simple run, earn money with that and also avoid the urge of my runner to kill that Johnson.

>/srg/ missing in the headline

Delete this.

So, gonna try and introduce my group (mainly TDE-players) to SR tomorrow. Any obvious pitfalls I need to avoid? Sticking to corebook for the moment, preparing Foodfight for a trial run.

>Best Johnson Idea
Johnny Spinrad but with terrible goddamn luck when it comes to runs. Lods of emone, but no sense. Either that, or his runs always go wrong due to some other individual keeping tabs on him.

Too late. :I

SR adventures are supposed to be less railroady and SR characters should be more competent than your average TDE beginner Character.

Quickening Metamagic and maybe mind control magic are the only two things from the CRB that can properly fuck over your gameplay (well, also spirits, but that should be alright with only the Core)., ban those two or balance will go done the shitter faster than in a group with two Guild Mages, an Elfish Fighter and two Mundance nature Characters in TDE.

>Obvious Pitfalls
Ask how they got their gear, do their contacts match, and do they know anything of the setting. Maybe go into a mini-history lesson.
That, and remind them of the Shadowrunner's Credo:
>Shoot Straight, Watch Your Back, Conserve Your Ammo, And Never Buy CGL Books

Also, ALWAYS read their character sheets before starting a game.

Our party are street scum so our Johnsons are mostly criminals. Most memorable is a Vory troll who seems to genuinely like them and has taken an active interest in their personal wellbeing. You know, suspicious as fuck.

The soon-to-be GM is from germany.
He should buy all the books he can.

>Also, ALWAYS read their character sheets before starting a game.

Oh, yeah.
Maybe have them use CHummer to build characters?

Also think about the option to allow the new awakened from FA, since they are beginner friendly an possible the best thing in the whole book.

Nah, if he starts with selectively allowing parts of certain splatbooks, the "Core only" ideal will rapidly fall.
Bad idea.

Definitely.

Chummer is confusing, but less confusing than making characters the old-fashioned way.

Hey, I'm just recommending stuff that's less broken than mystics and mages while also more approachable then both.
Remember that you normal water spirit can control the weather, magic is pretty broken.

My best Johnson was actually in Eclipse Phase, but he was pretty much a Johnson.

>Neo New York
>Yakuza Crimelord
>He is an uplifted whale
>He owns and runs a fancy sushi joint because he organizes large scale deliveries of raw fish anyway and is a connoisseur of it
>obvious yakuza strongmen guard the entrance to the backroom of the place
>its still a really good and popular sushi place though
>NPCs are enthusiastic when they hear or see the PCs going there, occasionally get takeout from there
>when you get to see the boss you are led into the back room which is like a large viewing gallery with a curtain blocking sight of something at the end
>Before you see the boss you are reminded that his name is the Big Fin
>Should you ever say Big Fish instead you are dead
>When he meets you they draw open the curtain to reveal a glass wall viewing a water basin with a large, black, rubbery body hovering closely behind it and one large eye turned upon the party, looking them over
>voice projects from speakers mounted to either side of glass
>he speaks very slowly and powerfully
>on the second visit to him after they'd eaten in the front both times he stopped them
>asked them why they hadn't left a review yet to give his joint a good rep
>if they didnt like the food
>party nervously explains they just forgot
>ask me if the food is actually good
>its really good
>leave top reviews and he lets them go

>best thing in the whole book
>not missionists
Finally a tradition lets you become Mormon Jesus, but you people ignore it because oooooh apprentice mage!

you forgot to add
>, and never ever deal with a dragon

Hey hey let's calm down. The whole thing was such a fucking headache that those surprisingly big lights really stand out. I will take a look at the thing, okay ?

As far as mind magic goes, look at how SR missions edited how they work in one of their FAQ. It makes the stuff, while still pretty rediculous, not so much of an "I win" button.

>Mormon Jesus
who the fuck even cares about mormons (Aside from Coleman and Hardy)

If there's anything you should allow from non-Core, it's sum-to-X

Thanks! I'll stick to pen&paper for creating characters together with my players for now, just to figure out how things work before going the whole automated route. Hoping this will be feasible if I stick to just core rules without the added tinsel. And since I'll be building the characters with my group I hope I'll be able to spot possible shenanigans. Just wanna see how they react to a new system...

Frankly all the shitting on FA bothers me because several of the new traditions are fucking neat but people keep saying 'apprentice Mage is the only good thing!'

I wish Aspected were less fucked up and you'd actually get to be better at your Aspect than a regular generalist mage, rather than just investing less creation resources.

I didn't even shit on it, i just said that the new awakened are pretty neat for new players.
The traditions are fine omae.

>Using P&P to write characters
>First time
Don't. You'll be there for hours.
Use Chummer for writing characters. It's much faster and easier.

Creating Shadowrun characters in hand is just a little bit easier than creating F.A.T.A.L characters.
I know because I've done both.
Please don't do it if you're already nervous about your players not liking the system.

Definitely doable without problems, especially with Core only, just less convenient than doing it with Chummer.
Prolly a lot less possible placef for fuckups than with TDE 4.x, not sure about 5.x.

Helden.jar was the most convenient thing for TDE to ever fall into my hands, i have to say and Chummer is SRs equivalent.

You, as a GM, should take a look at the "packs" from Run Faster, they are basically gear boxes grouped together. The ones labeled "for beginner /advanced runners" are good because they give you a general idea about useful stuff to buy at chargen.

Just make sure every single one of your players starts with one of these two things:

A Commlink
A (fake) Sin

Everything else, even Guns, are optional to some degree or can be resourced during gameplay. But if one is lacking these two above, one is fucked.

This
I've missed too much shit when doing it by hand, and as a result, my groups mage somehow has magic resistance RTG1 as well as an unidentifiable commlink and a few hundred mystery bullets.

Chummer all the way if you don't want to pay for Hero Lab, which frankly isn't worth it unless you are doing more than just shadowrun.

Troggers you know nothing.
He said his whole group has experience with TDE.
Character creation there can be several layers more complicated and full with trapholes than SRs.
He'll be fine.

TDE is the Kraut autism simulator
It really good at delivering the german need for tables and maths during our recreational time.

>a few hundred mystery bullets.
That reminds me, because I keep wondering. Does the bulk purchase of literally hundreds of rounds of ammo in various types and calibers every few months somehow not raise red flags in KE databases? With how much ammo the average SR group goes through, you'd think they'd raise eyebrows and flags pretty quick.

Is this through proper channels or through some shady character who is doing off the books deals?

>just less convenient than doing it with Chummer.
Chummer is very much in the middle. It's more convenient than doing super basic shit on paper, but it rapidly becomes less convenient the more fancy shit you're doing or even just on specific rulesets where yekka is wrong but you can't have the stupid greyed out shit become interactable to fix it.

>He buys his ammo in a legal gunstore, probably with a SIN

Nah, it wörks for me.
Though i do have to resort on workarounds occasionally, be it adding a few thousands pencils as placeholders or just fiddling with the XMLs.
The only problem is hardcoded shit, but since i don't play shifters...

Nah, why would it?
I can literally get 500 rounds of Ammo as a welcome-present for subscribing to a magazine about guns here in Europe.

As long as you aren't ordering several thousand rounds of APDS or Ex-EX, nobody would have any incentive to give a fuck.

I want to be tolerant, but honestly the German autism grates on me sometimes.
I'm Danish, which probably explains it - I live right next door and you come over the border a lot, so I can't avoid you.
You probably know about the stereotype of German tourists coming to Danish beaches to dig holes in the sand, too.
I used to work for a company manufacturing windmill electronics, and the Germans were both the best and the worst customers by far.
Siemens asking for a special kind of isolated casing and silicone glue. GU asking for seven different stickers and ordering hundreds of different units at once (these are put together by hand). Senvion has about a dozen different models, most of which have to be modded by hand.
And all of these companies expect orders to be done on time, autismally so.
I try to like you.

Yeah I have to do workarounds a lot too, but it can go beyond just shifters. R5 Drone Modding rules can bring up all sorts of issues.

depends on how much you buy, where you buy, what SIN you buy it as and where you generally are.
But KE honestly doesn't care that much if lots of ammo is bought (after all they are a subsidiary of ARES, the biggest weapon manufacturer there is)

>German tourists coming to Danish beaches to dig holes in the sand
natürlicher Deichbauinstinkt. Wie bei Biebern

That should be "GE".
When you have to work with dozens of corporation names, they get muddled.

>You probably know about the stereotype of German tourists coming to Danish beaches to dig holes in the sand, too.
No, we don't really think about you a whole lot.

And yet "Dänischer Remoulade" is a best-seller.
Then again, it might admittedly only be in a weird part of the country.

We should relly rename this from "/srg/" to "/SRA/ - Shadowrunallgemeinthema."

Just sweep bullets with RFID tag eraser after a visit to the store and you're golden.

Speaking of, anyone else hate RFID tags with a burning passion?

>bullets
>RFID-tags

trogger pls, thats poh-retarded

Probably. Likely the coast where they actually have fish to put that shit on and remoulade is popular.

If you wanna talk about popular Danish products here, its your mattress and bed stores.

PS: Stop keeping all the butter from Norway

Not until CGL realizes superior german autism and make them write 6e.

That'd mean topic, not thread.

Better to be Schattenlaufdiskussion and become SLD.

>You probably know about the stereotype of German tourists coming to Danish beaches to dig holes in the sand, too.
We need to fortify for the third "german dream" we just want to include you guys, we like you, it's instinct.

Danes cannot live without butter, beer, rye bread, potatoes, cigarettes or milk. If any of those are ever threatened, the media goes apeshit.
There is very little Danish food that cannot use more butter.

>have 4 limbs all with magnetic systems
>constantly use it to attach random ass RFID tags from everywhere and anything to you
>literally random shit off the street
>get nailed for an RFID tag to track something criminal
>cops follow it back to you
>literally cannot pin it on you because its not conclusive that it got there because you did illegal shit, because you're literally just covered in random RFIDs

We have achieved this on /bant/ actually, where Austria and Switzerland are forced to post in the German thread.

Our old GM was very much into "corp-controlled dystopia". RFID tags everywhere, double and triple checkups (including astral), every rival team/corp squad operating on all layers (so you couldn't just have rating 3-4 commlink and you had to wipe every drop of blood you left on the floor),

Sure, it made us paranoid, nervous wrecks, but since then every GM i played with was impressed and slightly terrified at amount of prep i put into runs.

Non-technological smokebombs that also act as a minor flash and leave only shattered ceramic shards behind are surprisingly cheap and available and easy to deploy. Always be prepared.

>cops pinning all crimes ever associaed with those tags on you after giving you an exquisite taste of the synthleather of their boots

You severely overestimate the amount of fucks sixth world cops give.

That sounds like a super-annoying GM playing the wrong system.

I actually feel like it sounds like a very invested GM playing exactly the right system the right way.

this
If nothing else they probably can get you for "stealing public property"

>With how much ammo the average SR group goes through, you'd think they'd raise eyebrows and flags pretty quick.
Not really, because shadowrunners are pretty common.

No, he is really far away from the background and on the verge of killing the base axiom of "Shadowrunners do exist in the Setting".
He should play some special agents shittery, instead of forcing his "oy vey, no violence, mirrorshades only, Oceans 11 supreme" derpity on a system and setting thats a lot more "flashy".

>Speaking of, anyone else hate RFID tags with a burning passion?
I can't wait until I can RFID-tag all my shit, so I can fucking find it. I'm getting a GPS/RF tracker put on my motorbike so it can be recovered if stolen and violated.
The security tags at work are annoying as shit, though. Beep beep beep every time someone misses one.

buying a few hundred rounds per month wouldn't even leat to batting an eye nowadays.

But Shadowrunners can exist in that. They just can't be mohawkshitters.

Its hilarious that you think "corp-controlled dystopia" is something you have to FORCE on Shadowrun. The guy is using exactly the right system for what he wants to achieve and is simply playing it out in a way it can be played out in. It doesn't have to JUST be the way you want it to be, because those people might like a cerebral challenge a lot more than your flashy stuff.

>Not really, because armed people are pretty common.
FTFY
Shadowrunners aren't the only people buying weapons and ammo
You have people trying to arm themselves with a light pistol, taser or holdout
you have people in the shittier parts of town arming themselves against gangers, underground types and dangerous critters
you have people that just shoot for fun or sport

Meanwhile a fucking decent arrow costs upward of 200 Nuyen. Its literally like shooting money during combat, ugh.

Just get a crossbow, it's cheaper in every way and comes with a five shot magazine.

Or the good ol' weapon focus grappling hook.

Doesn't have access to the best arrowheads/shafts and a variety of other factors.

Pistol Crossbow is great as a backup for the bow, though.

ask yourself: Is the amount of money and work worth concerning how often attacks happen and how much you lose?
Because if the amount you save through preventing the crime/finding the criminal is less than what you have to pay to keep it up, then most groups will just write off their losses.
In Fluff the only groups that really do this are Azt (because they are really vindictive), SK (because they are led by a Dragon with OCD -> vindictive) and Mitsuhama (Japanocorp, so they can't lose face).
All the others will see that
A) once you are found you likely won't have the thing you stole
B) the damage you did is already done
C) the money spent on finding you will not recuperate the damage
and just cut their losses. No point in throwing good money after bad one.
Add Data Balkanization to it and you'll see that, unless you do really stupid things like leave large calling cards and show your face in each and every camera, you don't have to worry about retribution much.
Even in real life things aren't always secured with the best possible means. Just the ones that are economically viable.

But this is a topic we discussed last thread so if you want to read more keep it in the last thread and not here

So what? He can structure a campaign around jobs involving SK or MCT just fine. There's also several highly controlled zones across the world, some involving those corps, that have much more security than otherwise.

In most cases, if you point out something I've done wrong or you'd like to see differently, I can point you to some way to resolve it.

yes, but small group of organizations =/= the entire setting

Because you can also just play runs without MCT, AZT or SK, which don't require trenchcoats so black to be vantablack
SR is not "One tiny mistake and you can start making new characters":The Game
It's a setting that includes Manhattan (operators operating operationally) and LA (where each runner team makes their own publicity and are basically consisting of stars)

You've stuck several Metasapient species with a hardlocked Uneducated quality, but if you consult the Metasapient Attribute Table in RF on p. 104 that tells you what you get for that race you can see this is not the case.

I believe you slapped in on because when they are presented as Critters and example NPCs in Critter books they have it, but as with any other character, when you pay priority/karma for them you get a blank slate of that race in good health that then gets customized by you via qualities. Thus I'm fairly sure that any sort-off required buy-off for the education is already included in the karma price to pick those races, and the fact they lack the nega-quality on the RF table thats ultimately the one directly referencing their use as PCs reflects that.

The point was you said the guy was an awful GM playing the wrong system, yet all he did was do things that are very much supported by the system and put on something you just personally don't like in terms of what was required of his players to overcome challenges.

>you have people in the shittier parts of town arming themselves against gangers, underground types and dangerous critters
It doesn't even have to be that shit for any of those three to be a risk. "Constant presence" is another matter.

First of all I'm not the guy who first replied to him
Second:
>playing exactly the right system the right way.
>the right way

It's not supposed to be exclusionary as in "the only way". It means in a way enjoyable to his players. Which is the right way.

>He buys his ammo in a legal gunstore, probably with a SIN
RAW, you cannot buy anything above Availability:-- at a normal store.

>Just sweep bullets with RFID tag eraser after a visit to the store and you're golden.
Because when you think of something you want to brick, ie; sparks and burning, it's your ammo.

>Because when you think of something you want to brick, ie; sparks and burning, it's your ammo.
Or that experimental assault rifle you stole.

>It means in a way enjoyable to his players. Which is the right way.
I don't know if it's just me but I get a real Stockholm syndrome vibe from the original post
>Sure, it made us paranoid, nervous wrecks
Maybe it's just my sense of enjoyment that's warped but to me it sounds like
>Sure, my old husband beating me constantly for anything I did that he didn't like made me a paranoid, nervous wreck, but my new husband was impressed and slightly terrified at amount of prep i put into pleasing him.

Eh, I get more of a "it was challenging as fuck but satisfying to overcome" vibe.

maybe.
I just can't connect "paranoid, nervous wreck" with "enjoyment"

Mohawk is an established part of the canon and setting.
Everything that cuts it out, is going against the established canon.

you absolutely can, you just have to look around for it.

The Corp could just put a simple bounty on the perp's head and call it a day.

20k is chump change sure but it'll get plenty of lowlifes to pay attention to you

That was a hyperbole. Our GM was good at gauging the strength of the team, he just set up every run as a multi-layered puzzle. There definitely was some adversarial GMing, but no outright bullshit. You just had to be very sure everything went right and had at least three backup plans for when something goes wrong.

And we had our fair share of Mohawk runs, monstly with/against Halloweeners. You haven't truly lived unless you fought an experimental tank stolen from ARES and outfitted with additional armor in the form of a giant pumpkin head.

ARES even cut our bounty in half for that one.

20k is nearly a year's bills paid for most lowlifes, and a hit of cram is only 10nY. Add on 5k and it qualifies for a negative quality.

I'm in total agreement with you though, putting up a 'dead or alive' bounty is probably one of the more practical solutions for corps looking to get rid of problematic individuals.

So basically the guy didn't cut anything out but just actually took the corp dystopia seriously when appropriate. Yet mohawkshitters can't stop raging against it.

>people misinterpret original post and respond based on incorrect information
>guy corrects them and points out it wasn't what they thought
>HAHA WHAT FAGS THEY THOUGHT A THING WAS SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHAT IT WAS

>So basically the guy didn't cut anything out
>That was a hyperbole.
>There definitely was some adversarial GMing, but no outright bullshit.
GEE, chummer. Who would have thought that leaving out such information, information which is usually conveyed through tone, will lead to people assuming something else than originally intended?

These desperate attempts at validation and damage control, jeez.

Fighting an experimental tank that's dressed up as a giant jack o'lantern is some black trenchcoat shit, you're right.

>What kind of pay should your runners get?
They need to pay me, with their lives. Nothing personal, it's just - gotta clean up all the loose ends, y'know?
>not betraying your runners

>Trump_The_Art_of_The_Deal.pdf
You know what’s REALLY weird?
Years and years ago, during maybe the early-00’s, our SR group used him as the heavy basis for a short-term villain in our game.
We had all lived around NYC (where everybody already knew what a clown he was) and this was before he’d even gotten that stupid reality show of his so he was just another random unimportant quasifamous local person we used as inspiration in our game for a short while.

Awesome

No, it's mohawk. I was referring to the top half of the post.

I have no problem with ther ebeing mohawk and I have no problem with there being trenchcoat, and both belong.

It's just funny how mohawkshitters will go "No, you can't keep it down! Mohawk is part of the setting, the canon, you can't remove it!" immediately but when trenchcoat, equally established, is given representation its immediately painted as the evil bad man taking their fun away because their mohawk shit wouldn't fly in a trenchcoat situation.

>Who's been your best Johnson idea?
I've always wanted to do a few runs where the Johnson is a balding, overweight ex-employee of an A-corp who's putting all his life-savings into hiring the runners for petty acts of retribution against his former workplace.
>All his knowledge of the shadows comes from trid-films, goes by all the cliches because he thinks that's how it works
>Shows up to the meet wearing Sleeping Tiger duds, says he 'understands how trogs feel' because he doesn't have any friends
>Only avoided arrest because of sheer luck and being below notice
>Tolerated by the fixer who set the meeting up because he's somehow got enough money to unknowingly overpay everyone involved
>Treats minor grievances from former co-workers with more vitriol than the SINless experimentation projects going on at the corp, takes sadistic glee in watching the runners vandalize their cubicles and cars
>Eventually disposes of himself when the rush of hiring shadowrunners gets to his head and he mouths off a Yakuza Oyabun thinking the runners will back him up

Nah. You can be more paranoid about trivial items, but the black market purchasing rules are for black market purchases.

Did he get leonized or something?

That gets me to thinking. Has anyone else used real or fictional characters for ideas on characters, player or non player? I had one who was the villain from a Hap and Leonard novel who acted like he came straight out of the Redmond Barrens in the book. In my game of shadowrun, he is instead a rather violent pawn broker in Puyallup that has a bit of a reputation for being the guy you pay to disappear a body.

>Sleeping Tiger
Shouldn't he wear cliche Johnson wear, though? Like Actioneer line?

I went for Sleeping Tiger because it has more of a try-hard feel to it, the sort of thing a dumpy middle-management type with too much money would wear to try and be 'one of the gangsters'.