/STG/ - Star Trek General

Desert Archaeology Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Modiphius takes down links for the ST:A core rulebook. Look in the archives or ask someone to send it to you via discord. Or... you know... buy the rulebook.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jgRlzFIgm1E
thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/02/02/chinese-man-steals-and-sells-off-road/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for space dildo Enterprise

Sterfleet Museum go away and stay away, your spacedildoes are not canon nor they ever will be.

But it's filled with more.

why even bring up canon?

Why must all Earth flags look like shit? Surely there's a better way to convey United Earth, Terra or whatever variation of an Earth government than drawing out some fucking geography.

Here’s the real question. What is Mirror-Dave like?

A professional race driver.

This is the best one imo, but even then it's just geography. It's like that IRL too, the UN and the proposed Earth flag.

Probably because nobody could agree on anything better.

>Surely there's a better way

Do you have any ideas? Or is this just idle bitching on your part?

Science Fiction is awash with poor flags. There’s too much detail put into designs or they use colour combinations that are fuck-ugly. All because they want to do something different or “space-age.”

Blue theme and a simple stylised icon, in the design of a large hollow circle and small circle along the horizontal median, to represent Earth and the Moon.

Sounds good. Of course Traveller did it 35+ years ago for the Ziru Sirka.

Got any ideas you didn't rip off from someone else?

>Things the Ferengi would be concerned about but clearly aren't
GPL has a distinctive sound when tapped together, and that little bit Morn regurgitates is 100 bars' worth.

Sorry I don’t have an encyclopedic knowledge of flags. If it’s good, it’s good. Just use it.

Wow, who shat in your strudel? Get the fuck over yourself.

>Got any ideas you didn't rip off from someone else?
>Implying anybody has any truly original ideas and doesn't just stand on the shoulders of giants

>>Complain that flag is too formulaic and blase
>>Got any ideas, user?
>>Proposes flag which is formulaic and blase
>>That's no real improvement, user
>>FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU

If you can't do better, and you can't, shut your pie hole.

You’ve precipitated a hostile response by acting like a brat, user. Maybe try talking to people like an adult and you’ll get further.

The French Flag, basically.
>uses the 3 most common flag colours
>uses the best tricolour variation
>central space clear for a nice, stylised symbol
>avoids the common mistake of using black as a flags colour because spaaaaace

Time to see what's new in the world of Orville fantart! Maybe someone has worked on some nice ship scenes, maybe modelled the Krill vessels, done some studies of the various props...

...Oh. Or not I guess.

Now that's a suggestion by someone who has done some thinking. When you realize just how many national flags are horizontal or vertical tricolors, you can see how a tricolor "Unified Earth" flag could be more easily accepted in more regions.

Any ideas for the basic symbol, user? You've already done well with the basic layout.

youtube.com/watch?v=jgRlzFIgm1E

>Any ideas for the basic symbol, user?
That’s the crux, isn’t it? You need something that’s immediately representative of all of Earth but not so complicated that it’s hard to replicate by hand.
I know it’s derivative, but birds, particularly birds of prey, are a very common symbol throughout history, from Zoroastrian Persia up to Modern America.
Maybe a pair of stylised wings, like pic related, in black or gold?

Other than that, common symbols include swords, shields, various predators and crosses. But those are all very regional. You could go with a Star either. But that has groundings in certain political movements.

Fuck you and fuck the dipshits who made it.

Thirteen white stars around a white double eagle on a quarter field of blue and thirteen red and white stripes ought to do it. That covers the only two spacefaring civilizations worth half a damn.

>Maybe a pair of stylised wings, like pic related, in black or gold?

That would be good and for the reasons you state. Sadly, the problem with avian and/or wing symbolism is a "meta" one: The Romulans have first dibs on birds.

Yes, a unified Earth which chose wings for the symbol would have done so long before it encountered the Romulans, but the fact remains that Trekkies won't like it because "muh Romulans". Wings won't pass the meta hurdle.

Roddenberry shamelessly ripped off NASA's various mission patches when coming up with TOS various "ship" badges. Many of those patches had geometrically stylized representations of rocket launches or orbital flight. I wonder if some stylize representation of ascent or rebirth could work? Just spitballing here.

>The people of earth now work for pennies a day in a single planet-spanning factory, told that they are free but without ever gaining enough money to leave. If they try to unionize, they are beaten or murdered. Somehow is not in violation of the NAP.

Not that user, but what about field of black with seven white stars representing the seven continents (I know that Europe and Asia are one landmass but seven stars would probably look better than six, IMO) in a circle surrounding a blue orb that represents Earth?

I dunno, I laughed. Amused they actually got Gary Johnson to show up for it.

Could always go with the Starfleet Delta? That would at least create an origin for it, in setting. Alternately. The command branch star?
The problem is that a lot of traditional symbols for ascent and rebirth are also birds.

White and blue are usually considered soft peaceful colors while the olive wreath is also a symbol of peace. The wreath encircling the globe is obviously a symbol of global peace, which would still be an important symbol given that Earth unites as an interstellar player from the ashes of World War 3. We can replace the globe if you think that's tacky, but considering the UN already replaces it in favor of more relevant symbols for its various committees, it shouldn't be too difficult to find another symbol that represents Earth as a whole.

>Could always go with the Starfleet Delta? That would at least create an origin for it, in setting
I think having the symbol of Starfleet just be the symbol of Earth would have unfortunate implications in-universe.

It's fucking DeviantArt man, you're way too optimistic

I think Gary was just glad someone was willing to pay attention to him.

It's the details in the damn thing. Like that a replicator won't have anything he wants, even though the main complaints/restrictions are all based on moral/safety issues that a replicator would render completely moot. You aren't force-feeding a goose (which isn't really as inhumane if done right as many people think) to get Foie Gras. You don't have the dangerous amount of pathogens in raw milk. You aren't depleting a species to harvest its eggs for caviar (and we can farm caviar of better quality than wild now anyways).

You mean with, say, a field of stars?

>The problem is that a lot of traditional symbols for ascent and rebirth are also birds.

Again, true. That's why I nattered on about stylized geometrical shapes.

I've seen one somewhere and can't put my hands on it now. It's a series of vertical lines. The center one is straight. The others are bent at the bottom at first, running at an angle towards the center before straightening and then running alongside it. The symbol looks like a group of independent objects first rushing together and then ascending in unison. The best way I can describe it is it being a "spike" or tall/thin pyramid. It could also resemble the exhaust of a rocket racing to orbit.

Add sevens stars for seven continents and it could be something.

Yeah, that's the origin of the Federation flag. But I thought we were talking about a hypothetical flag to represent a united earth.

What was these guys symbol again?

I think I know what you’re getting at. Like the Network from World’s end but with the bottom flaring outwards evenly?

>Like the Network from World’s end but with the bottom flaring outwards evenly?

Yeah. Let's say it 5 lines. The center just runs vertically. The two lines to the left and right begin running towards the center line and before the "hit" or "intersect" it, they "swoop' upwards along side the center. IIRC, the lines are slightly tapered too, fatter at the bottom, thinner at the top.

I'm now artist, I can't even draw a bath. But I'm sure I've seen what I'm so poorly describing before.

btw, which do you guys prefer, the old paint job...

... or the new one?

...Kinda like the profile of a buttplug?

Maybe the thin toddler version your parents started you with, but the Grand Master size one you use now to control your prolapse ? No.

Good talk. You’ve got some unresolved issues, my dude.

It's Veeky Forums, we've all got problems. Unchecked aggression is pretty tame for here, all things considered.

>You’ve got some unresolved issues

Says the user who brought up buttplugs.

It’s the shape he’s describing. Do you have a more apt image?

You’ve lost me with that last bit. Do the lines curve back up after they taper in or do they just taper outwards? More or less like the Union?

canon

>believing sending cars to space is worth a damn

India and China are the only two nations doing solo work worth two shits, and they're doing a lot more than the rest of the world combined

the US is locked into partnership with Russia and the EU, so flag that, bitch

t. pajeet/chang. The reason China isn't cooperating with US/Can/JP/EU/Russia on the ISS is because we don't trust them not to fucking steal anything that isn't nailed down.

That's a carrier, the Enterprise of that era should be a reconnaissance cruiser
>Our mission: to seek out Romulan life and blast the crap out of it!

I like Enterprise as a carrier since that makes it the last warship Enterprise, the UFP Enterprises all being explorers. It's a theme thingy.

It didn't survive the war either.

>Implying it helps if it is nailed to the ground
thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/02/02/chinese-man-steals-and-sells-off-road/

>You’ve lost me with that last bit. Do the lines curve back up after they taper in or do they just taper outwards? More or less like the Union?

Sorry. The lines' individual widths taper. Thicker at the bottom, thinner at the top.

Anyway, i found something which sort of illustrates what I've so poorly described. It's an illo of Niven's Ringworld. Look in the background of the picture. The sides of the Ring seem to "swoop" inward as they also "swoop" upward. Imagine that shape being comprised of five lines. The one in the center simply runs top to bottom. The ones to the left and right start further away and then "swoop" inward & upward to join the center. The individual lines "swoop" together and then make a unified "ascent"

Hell, instead of 5 lines make in 7, one for each continent.

Right. So like a series of logarithmic curves on different scales. Would you have that run the full length of the white third or would you confine it to a central space, akin to the Mexican flag?

user, generally they'd use a "mass simulator", ie. a large heavy dead weight to counter-balance the test rocket for flight. Sticking a car in there serves exactly the same purpose and is a fun PR stunt to boot.

What would you have done in his situation?

So, who's your trekfu?

>So, who's your trekfu?
Ezri, I definitely have a thing for tomboys.

>So like a series of logarithmic curves on different scales

D'oh! Logarithmic curves! THAT is how I should have described it! Fuck, I'm retarded.

As for your aesthetic question, I'm no artist. You'll have a far better idea of what look's "right" than I will.

I’d have asked the computer to give me the cures for a number of diseases. Then I’d have lied to Picard about whatever shite they were dealing with and gone back to our time to save some lives.

>What would you have done in his situation?

Not be so greedy. Picard even says as much. If he'd just lifted a few gizmos no one would have even noticed. And taking Data into the time ship was profoundly stupid. An android with immense strength who can move in an eyeblink? And you're not only going to kidnap it but sit inside the same broom closet with while you head back to New Jersey?

He had a fucking time machine which meant he had all the time he needed. There was no need to rush things.

Seven. Yeah it's a pleb answer but I hit puberty during Voyager's run.

I’d have come to an arrangement to secure the safe return of her god, if you catch my meaning.

I think it makes more sense to have it go from top to bottom if you’re having individual lines. Whereas you could make it work as a more Stalin’s Ed icon in the centre, a la Orville.

>Stalin’s ed
*Stylised. Phone posting is indeed cancer.

Your phone has been infected by Marxism.
You must purge it.

Sounds good to me. user. Like I said, I'm no artist and all my taste is in my mouth.

That's the Orville patch? I've never seen an episode and it's almost what I was blathering about.

>our space program is literally propping up PR stunts for the private sector because we can't trust we've been hurt before you totes wouldn't understand

enjoy living on your planet named after dirt crowing about how you went to the moon but never followed up

>a bloo bloo bloo muh PR
It's about outsourcing space truck work to the private sector so NASA can refocus on exploration. It makes perfect business sense. SpaceX plus a reusable crew capsule would actually deliver the cheap orbits that the Shuttle was supposed to but never did.

Yeah, that's the symbol for the Planetary Union. When I get home I'll have a crack at a few of the designs that we've been talking about.

She's very fertile.

It will be very interesting to see what someone with talent comes up with instead of what someone like me comes up with. What do you think about 7 lines for 7 continents "idea"? Or would stars be better?

How about having DaVincis picture of Human inside a sphere on a flag?

I'll try a few variations. See what works.

>filename explains it all

Vitruvian Man? That's a great idea too, user.

How can that be the best Dax when she isn't in the best timeline?

Same Dax, good enough for me.

The same way Jaylah is wonderful despite being in a weird offshoot timeline where the movie she's in is the first good one.

What I wouldn't give for a ST series set during this era, and with this aesthetic.Dammit, if a show is set in the Trek universe's past it should fucking look like it, old school dial-the-settings hand lasers and all.

But dickships *aren't* Trek's aesthetic and never have been. Stop thinking that Starfleet Museum is canon, it isn't and also never has been.

>dickships
I kekked

>Stop thinking that Starfleet Museum is canon, it isn't and also never has been.
I didn't know that, I just found these here and on the web. But to me, they seem to fit the aesthetic leading up to original Trek far better than the crap in Enterprise and Discovery.

>But dickships *aren't* Trek's aesthetic and never have been.
See, you say that....

They didn't just come up with "let's make it a disc" off the bat, having warp rockets in the early days makes a ton of sense.

>Stop thinking that Starfleet Museum is canon, it isn't and also never has been.
I take it by your consistent "reeee non-canon" and your particular aversion to phallic imagery that you're the same user as . Nobody is confused as to the fact that it isn't canon, they'd just like it to be.

>the crap in Enterprise
Silly, user. Only children and shitheads think Enterprise looked bad. You're not some sort of shithead, are you?

>See, you say that....

The Phoenix was built from a missile, it's gonna look phallic no matter what. It is likely that the larger early craft would be built in orbit once the infrastructure for that was rebuilt.

>they seem to fit the aesthetic leading up to original Trek
Space Zeppelins? In what way?

best girl

Only pants-shitting retards think it looked good. Fite me faggit.

They look more primitive to me, while at the same time matching the look and feel of OT.

Rockets are phallic. It's how spacecraft would reasonably look until the development of whatever technology makes the saucer the best pick, and unless someone is projecting their Freudian thoughts too hard it's a pretty fun look for a semi-hard sci fi (pun intended) early Trek. Making ships just look like the Enterprise from the start is lame.

For what it's worth, Starfleet Museum shows a pretty believable development between the two.

>I take it by your consistent "reeee non-canon" and your particular aversion to phallic imagery that you're the same user as . Nobody is confused as to the fact that it isn't canon, they'd just like it to be.
Amusingly, no, I'm not that user. Also, I don't really have a problem with dickships in fiction, I just don't like them here specifically. Trek has a consistent look to it and the Muesum dickships don't really fit. The Phoenix had outboard nacelles. The NX had outboard nacelles. The Enterprise had outboard nacelles. Fuck, the DAEDALUS had outboard nacelles. Why the fuck does anyone think that single-segment dickships fit into there anywhere? They just don't really fit.

>thinking low poly cylinders look better than the varied and interesting set of designs that pay lip service to Earth's heritage while fitting Star Trek's core aesthetic
>an aesthetic that is so Trek to the point that an OG Connie didn't look out of place in it
There's no argument to be had here. Just your dumb, contrarian opinion.

I like how it progresses, going with simple forms and bulky ships because getting anywhere at warp 2 and a bit takes fucking forever still, requires shitloads of fuel and other supplies because of the needs for months of sustained flight with inefficient, bulky engines and supporting large crews to maintain everything without the benefits of transporters, food synthesizers, instant home to ship communications. There's solid thought and reasoning behind it and how it shifts from tubes to plates and tubes.