Any good tabletop Homestuck games?

Any good tabletop Homestuck games?

Other urls found in this thread:

skrub-ttrpg.tumblr.com/
docs.google.com/document/d/1zfIuxFmrjKHAA2b0Jj7o2f0wAwz7Uv6CIo_zC35PIvs/
farragofiction.com/SBURBSim/index2.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Quick question, would you ever wanna run a session in a Homestuck-like universe? Regardless of system, Homestuck is dumb as fuck imo

This is a system that some people use
skrub-ttrpg.tumblr.com/
But it depends on how deep of a dive you want to take into playing a homestuck game. Keep I mind that the sBurbs was very much a single player game with occasional co-op, and not a multiplayer game until much later on.

Homestuck has a really interesting universe with a lot of interesting ideas

He's just here to try and spread his cancer.

Like AoS - look how Veeky Forums likes that

Okay Thanks!

Can you provide an example? I'm not saying it's objectively dumb, it just didn't grab me, and I read a LOT of homestuck

Not him but I’m a sucker for the cosmology, the classpect system, the tightness of the time travel, and basically most of the other mechanics of Sburb
This is all of course subjective and I can’t blame anyone for not getting into it, it’s pretty polarizing

Which is a shame, since Hussie promptly became an irredeemable hack by the end.

You better not be a girl in my highschool...

I wouldn't say "irredemable hack". What he did do is realize he had a cash cow and milked it for every bit it had, hence why the story kept getting massive extensions. He clearly can still write, it's just that he did what any reasonable person would do when people keep throwing large amounts of money your way, and eventually the story quality ends up suffering.

I'd say it's the exact opposite. He got completely burnt out on making Homestuck and strung things out with increasingly-long hiatuses lasting up to a year that drove away the fanbase that was used to getting a few new pages per day on average.

The problem here is that even if a Homestuck RPG system is made that isn't absolute garbage, the only people willing to play it would be Homestuck fans, who are without exception absolutely fucking insufferable and some of the worst roleplayers in the history of roleplaying.

This

I honestly think a big factor in homestuck's success was hussie's high output. He put out more pages a day than the majority of webcomic artists put out in a month, which meant that the fans had to keep reading for fear of being left out

You were just exposed to a small, vocal minority

While he could write, however nominally, you must admit that by a certain point it would be better for everyone involved to drop it, go to AO3 and start reading the first coffee shop AU you find.

Pretty much these plus the fantastic music kept me reading for as long as I did. I even didn't mind the trolls that much since I found their culture pretty interesting.

I ended up jumping off post Scratch though. The cast bloat and new kids finally burned me out.

I think the optimal setup for a Homestuck game player wise is having the GM and maybe one other player be aware of Homestuck while the rest are clueless. Then you advertise the game as a group of misfits getting thrust into adventure via a magic video game or something to that extent and slowroll all of the crazy setting shit through gameplay with some name changes to avoid a quick google ruining the surprise. Plus this lets you cut out or add as much bullshit to the mix as you want.

The new kids are alright (read: I love Roxy) and Caliborn is a fucking masterpiece but yeah, I’d agree. Too many minor characters took up too much screen time with events that were irrelevant.

Don't ever wish that upon anyone ever again.

You people have it all wrong. Every nigger I see talking about Homestuck on this site says the same thing

>The comic would have been good if it had focused on the Sburb game mechanics and less on aliens/chess pieces/plot elements/bec noir/the felt/the trolls/the midnight crew/time travel/anything else!

No it wouldn't have. You just think that because we only ever saw the highlights. Look at Sword Art Online, or Ready Player One, or any other cancerous memefest that focuses on people playing a game. They're all soul crushingly dull without exception. Remember how slow the beginning of the comic was? How it took literal months of real time for John to accomplish boring, basic tasks in the game world? That's what the whole comic would have been.

And by the way, the ending would still have been shit. The comic would still have spent years on hiatuses and meandering and irrelevant garbage, and then it still would have gone straight in the trash.

We don't want it to that extreme.

We want more of act 2 through act 4; before the trolls took center stage and back when the comic was about the kids interacting with the game mechanics

The comic was at its best when Sburb was center stage, but that doesn't mean that we don't like all of the other stuff

Think about it this way; early on, homestuck was an ice-cream sundae with whip-cream on it. After act five, it was replaced with a bowl of whip-cream

This seems to be another system

docs.google.com/document/d/1zfIuxFmrjKHAA2b0Jj7o2f0wAwz7Uv6CIo_zC35PIvs/

They have their own community, apparently.

I honestly preferred act five , but when hussie killed a fuckton of trolls just to make room for four , new , unnecessary assholes I almost jumped ship, then I did jump ship after the game over flash, until the second to last flash. the final flash was okay.

I mean I'd want to play the game, but the story was better for not focusing on just that.
It was shit for going full hiatus and then coming back with none of the humor or biting wit.

This would be not too hard to do as the mechanics of the homestuck universe allow for an extreme amount of diversity and flexibility in how it is played, from the planets built from the ground up from two nouns to the hero titles, which don't really need to be explicitly stated for their mechanics to appear.
Even the main villain of the series' appearance is variable, he would still have rainbow flashing eyes, but there is nothing saying Lil Cal can't be combined with something else to make him leading to a different Doc Scratch and a different Lord English.

Why are we getting so many of these threads again recently, what fucking year are we in?
Also Fate. Have fun running the time bullshittery.

It was focusing on the game mechanics though.
Sburb/Sgrub at it's higher levels is far less focused on statistics, individual items, or singular game mechanics. As the game progressed the metaphorical camera zoomed out, showing more of the big picture and less of the detail.
It went from fucking around in a kid's room to dealing with the apocalypse to exploring entire new planets to meeting the creators of their universe to creating a multimultiversal power source.
Then at Act 6 it took a step almost back to the beginning and then built it back up even faster till the end.
There is a large focus on characters because the game is at it's core about identity, choices, wills, and how they are subverted.

Hussie has stated several times that the troll's deaths were not some spontaneous thing he did to free up space but simply the inevitable ends to many of the trolls character arcs.

Ideally we could operate through the rules of sBurbs similar to a rules-heavy game and then after God-Teirring, the Game Master (The Huss?) could throw a curveball for the players to deal with that fucked up the sBurbs session that they would have to solve within a rules system similar to FATE. The problem is that sBurbs is essentially GURPS, but also goes into the played past and takes core character features and has the mythological role act as both prophecy, zodiac, and character growth factor when that is hardly something to be trusted to a player.

that's not too hard.
there is one rule in homestuck, everyone gets what they ask for.
use the scrabble to enter the sessions as a way to get to know the characters and what they want and then contrive a future in which they and any significant npcs all get what they want in the end, anything that causes a significant enough diversion from that timeline that would not lead to the same ends becomes a doomed timeline, an d that means the time player has to go back and stop from happening whatever set things off course. This, of course, you should try your hardest to only do when absolutely necessary as it is pretty railroading, but on the other hand if you have a lord English like figure in the game you can be more flippant with these doomings as it is a way to build up a resentmental for the alpha timeline, and along with it the one responsible for making it.

Hussie told a lot of lies over the years. Anyone who still believes them is short a chromosome or two

This is making me start o think that a game would be run along the lines of players setting out clear wants of the characters, then the GM writes out a story arc for them, and any deviation form the train tracks results in the time player having to go back in time.

"No."

In principle, yes, but in practice it would be a lot less constricting, there re many end states where everyone gets what they think they wanted.

>Homestuck
>good

i've tried to play this one on a forum and it's hot garbage, look elsewhere

really? i've been playing it with a few friends and it works pretty well

Apply Baron Munchausen
www magnumopuspress.com ?page_id=8

It's not a tabletop, but are you guys aware of this SBURB simulator? It's pretty neat. I played some time ago on /co/. It took a while for everything to get organized and to find the participants, but it was fun.

farragofiction.com/SBURBSim/index2.html

Why do you hate fun?

We don't hate fun we hate Homestuck

Look, you can't fight the Homestuck, though it's weird and random it's the greatest fandom.

Tad?

>Homestuck
>Greatest fandom
Pick one.

Who gives a shit about Homestuck? I was into it until 2013 and then dropped it like a hot turd because Andrew is a fucking adderall addict who crashed and burned.

Homestuck has a shit load of cool ideas that were never used or developed, because Hussie is a mess of a human being with no direction and a faberge ego.

However, we're roleplayers. We pick up the leavings of failures and turn them into our own fun. Relentlessly mine Homestuck for the good ideas and expand upon them on your own, whether individually or in concert with other aspects of the setting. Loot the corpse for the good stuff and leave the rest to rot in failure.

Example: Adapt the concept of the Land of Colours and Mayhem into a game setting. Does it have to do anything with Homestuck and its setting ideas beyond certain parts relating to LOCAM? No.

>we

>not we

>You

(You)