EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL /edhg/

The Mystery of Four Colors Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What's a good way to build a four-color deck that isn't Atraxa or houseruling the Nephilim?

First for thank you OP, you're a swell guy.

Second for someone should make a discord

>buy my first commander deck and sleeve it
>realize how fucking huge it is and how annoying it is to shuffle
100 cards was a mistake.

>(You)
Seriously user, we like you, but this is an excellent way to ruin thread after thread. The past few have been good, don't be a dick.

I Just think it would be a reasonable thing to try is all?

For what purpose? This thread is perfectly effective communication. The only thing a discord would add is non-anonymity and all the faggotry and autism that causes.

>Nephilim as the thread card
Literally cursed image anyone replying will die next time they cast a Storm card or take an extra turn you have been warned.

NEWFAGS

>What's a good way to build a four-color deck that isn't Atraxa or houseruling the Nephilim?
pray that Wizards stops being bad at card design and re-tries Partner & 4 color commanders. Except, the Partners aren't either boring goodstuff draw engines or absolute crap, and the 4-color commanders are interesting instead of snorefest goodstuff linear boredom.

So, because you're clearly new, this was a giant raging shitstorm for almost an entire year. We're all autists, just let us exist in peace and quiet.

Anyways, post some secret fucking spicy tech.

Only newfags say newfag.

Commander 2018 predictions?

>Commander 2018 predictions?
it will be bad.

Endless tribals, or maybe enemy colour pairs.

Something absolutely bonkers for green. Blue gets the shaft a bit. Whatever the white deck is will have something extremely powerful that becomes much worse in retrospect. Artifact, Enchantment, Creature, Land, and Instant/Sorcery tribal. The artifact one will sell out immediately.

Eminence partners.

There is one, but we don't talk about it cause every time it was mentioned it would turn into a raging shitfest. We've been down this path before.
Manlet hands detected.

user, change your filenames.

Fuck sorry, just got a new laptop and I had to redownload all my old photos

Whatever you say satan

Izzet Artifacts
Boros Spellslinger
Esper Spirit Tribal
Jund Land Ramp & Hate

I can dream

>tfw mindslaver is by far the best way to kill zur, and it's not even close
>you just swing with zur, grab necropotence, and draw a billion cards until they die
What have I become? The zur player actually switched his deck to Sharuum because I've done this so many times.

Tauran Mauler in Edgar?
Brass’ Bounty in Melek?

No and yes, respectively.

I have large hands. It's still annoying. 60 cards was ideal.

More Eminence trash.

Four colour eminence tribal with only 1-2 actual colour identities in the card.
The sets will contain less staples, apart from the deck with the strongest commander which will contain a copy of something as strong as Teferi's protection, making it unobtainable without LGSs opening it already and selling it as a 99.

2 decks won't contain sol ring and 1 won't have any signets. For some reason the weakest commander has thran dynamo and guilded lotus.

>divide deck in half
>shuffle each portion
>combine
>cut a few times
>divide in half again
>shuffle each portion
>offer deck to your opponent to cut
It's not rocket appliances.

>Complaining about trying to shuffle single sleeved decks
Get some reserved list cards in there and have fun with the journey that is shuffling a double sleeved EDH deck.

>What's a good way to build a four-color deck that isn't Atraxa or houseruling the Nephilim?
Uh, the Partner Commanders? That's one of the reasons they were made. Try Reyhan and Bruse Tarl together or something.

>Uh, the Partner Commanders?
Every partner commander is designed like crap.

Except for Vial Smasher.

That shit's tight.

Partners are garbage and everyone knows it
If you actually bring partner commanders into a game you should be embarrassed.

>Except for Vial Smasher.
o ye, he's fine.

>built a bunch of $150-$250 decks for each archetype to branch out from my usual stompy creature decks
>play them a bunch
>realize the only decks I enjoy are stompy creature decks
Fug. What's the best way to sell these puppies so I can finance the building of yet more big stompy creature decks?

She

The worst part is that Partner has SO MUCH design space and WotC just printed a bunch of crap.

How to do take a one of the only untapped design spaces left in MTG and end up producing such boring chaff...

Split them up into "cards worth money" and "things to put my some paper in for proxies"

Non-mono planeswalker commanders

Fuck off reddit

Please no tribal bullshit.
It doesn't work well in commander even with retarded crap like eminence.

They're not nearly as interesting as the real quad commander cycle (minus Saskia because she's rudimentary shit) but I don't really hate them. I've seen Reyhan, Thrasios, Bruse Tarl, Vial Smasher, and Temna all used with various degrees of effectiveness and competency.

Except Ludevic. Whoever printed that can burn in the same hell as whichever incompetent twit made O-Kagachi.

One of my biggest issues, and I know that a lot of people don't care about this, is that the partners have absolutely 0 reason to even be partners with each other. When the fuck did Iqra meet Tymna? Who the hell are these characters from different planes and different fucking timelines and why are their bonds so strong they can command a deck together? What the fuck is the flavor supposed to be?

Sounds like Zur should L2counter

>Whoever printed that can burn in the same hell as whichever incompetent twit made O-Kagachi.
>O-Kagachi
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT TO FORGET

Good i'm not the only story fag getting triggered by this bullshit.

>What the fuck is the flavor supposed to be?
Oh you know, just Ludevic and Reyhan... hangin out...

Like, all of MTG flavor is just a movie, and then the actors that are playing Ludevic and Reyhan just get together in the lunch room for snacks while still in costume. That's all I can think of.

>I have large hands
>still having trouble shuffling
No need to lie. I shuffle my double sleeved Ghave just fine, I don't even need to shuffle my deck in multiple parts.

Well, he could, in theory, but the entire deck demands counters, and I run monoblue artifacts, so I also have counters. When you reach critical mass of counterable things, it's pretty easy to wait until he's blown his load.

For example, why counter mindslaver when Jin Gitaxias was just cast, or blightsteel just showed up, or it's an early turn and I ponder brainstorm preordain SDT or some shit.

For fucks sake. O-Kagachi was cracked up to bed the god spirit dragon in the Kamigawa books.
aaaand then it sucked balls.

R.I.P then he can just go fuck himself and Zur.
Bad matchup for realz.

Though he could not drop a clear way for you to kill himself. Necro is good but..

Like, if they wanted to put actual effort into the mechanic, make a new fucking plane the partners are from, and have the explanation be somewhere in there. At least the fucking characters would have a reason to interact.

ngl tho I shiqi diqi shipping ikra and reyhan

>O-Kagachi was cracked up to bed the god spirit dragon in the Kamigawa books.
O-Kagachi was *the most powerful being on a plane full of some of the most powerful beings in MTG*

Like, "So powerful that it could literally only be defeated by itself" powerful. In its prime, with its Divinity in tact, I wouldn't be surprised of the ol' O-Draggo could fuck up walkers.

And then we got the card. And it was a fucking joke... I mean, it's hard to decide on a worst MTG card ever, but it's up there for me. Such a letdown for me, one of the so few players that actually loved Kamigawa block.

I love how wizards is just ultra fucked whenever anything about kamigawa comes up because everyone fucking hates it but the people who love it really fucking love it

Of course if it made money they'd call that a good thing because "being divisive is better than being boring" as they love to say whenever people call them out for garbage cards

Here's the thing, necropotence is by far the best card in the deck, and it isn't even close. It may be one of the best cards in magic altogether, BUT, it comes with the hilarious drawback of killing new players, and fucking people over at random intervals. Story time:

>at flgs playing super jank garbage decks
>I'm literally playing monored stompy jank
>buddy shows up, slaps his netdecked zur list
>first turn fetches an ABUR dual
>ohboyherewego.jpeg
>casts zur t3, has all the counterspells in the world
>necropotence is the first card he grabs
>draws cards until he has 1 life left
>skullcrack
I have never seen someone that salty in my life.

>Running Thada Adel with Mirrorworks
>Steal everyone's sol rings and caged suns
>Stole someone's Darksteel plate
>And someone's worldslayer
>My face

Holy fuck Thada Adel is the most fun I've had in this format. Sweet jesus.

>I love how wizards is just ultra fucked whenever anything about kamigawa comes up
I mean, I'm about as far from a Timmy as it gets and all I wanted O-Kagachi to be was a hilariously big, hilariously dumb dragon that turns sideways and kills people in one hit.

Compared to what we got, I would have been totally happy with a 9WUBRG cost, 21/21 flying trampler with some sort of pseudo-indestructible.

But nope. We got ASS instead.

>In its prime, with its Divinity in tact, I wouldn't be surprised of the ol' O-Draggo could fuck up walkers.
Doubtlessly. Just before the Mending, Michiko and Kyodai (That Which Was Taken) were powerful enough to completely shut Leshrac out of Kamigawa. O-Kagachi with his divinity would be at the top tier with avatar-of-black-mana Yawgmoth as "nothing can really fight this and expect to live".

>b-but guys its Kagachi without its divinity of course he's shitty

>O-Kagachi with his divinity would be at the top tier with avatar-of-black-mana Yawgmoth as "nothing can really fight this and expect to live".
"jk, he's just a 6/6 with a do-nothing ability"
- WotC

>b-but guys its Kagachi without its divinity of course he's shitty
>We finally get Urza on a black border card
>It's Urza's head in a bag. The art is just a brown leather bag with a little bit of white hair sticking out of the top.
FOR
WHAT
PURPOSE

Currently playing Xenagod and loving it, but i want another big dick deck. Was thinking atarka world render voltron with a couple dragons for funsies, or karametra. Would love to hear from people who play either of those decks, or even just suggestions

I had a dream about a Yawgmoth card.

>Yawgmoth, Father of Machines
>BBBBBB (that's 6 black pips)
>Legendary Artifact Creature
>Pay 2 life: Add B to your mana pool.
>When mana empties from your mana pool, take 2 damage for each remaining mana.
>6/6

>Yawgmoth, father of machines
>nothing to do with artifacts
take your shitty custom cards somewhere else

I always liked to imagine Yawgmoth as a big black fatty that has both Entomb and Yawgmoth's Will on a stick.

>nothing to do with artifacts
He's an artifact creature.

(You): 0
user's random dream magic card: 1

>wanting 2 decks that do the same thing

imagine being this retarded

I bet you think any creature with a typeline is a good tribal commander for that type

Actually, that's surprisingly balanced. You can make a fuckload of mana, but god help you if someone has something like Silence.

No.

My dream was that Yawgmoth would be the ultimate big black mana guy, so powerful he literally drains the life of a planeswalker to make more mana. He's a machine, and creates machines from his... machinations. That's pretty artifact/father of machines if you ask me.

Perhaps you should look into Jarad.

>Yawgmoth card
Any Yawgmoth card that doesn't utterly fuck you up for your arrogance in playing it doesn't fit his status.

>no creature type
>no artifact interaction
>only a 6/6
>no flying, no evasion

The best ability for a Yawgmoth card was already printed on Memnarch. Just swap the Blue for Black. Yawgmoth was always more of a living enchantment rather than a creature. A plague that torments your opponent and turn their allies to your side.

There are very few good combinations.

I think I have a problem
recently nearly all of my brews have gone down tribal routes
My new favorite pet card is Heirloom Blade
I have built both Izzet and Monored Construct Tribal

Construct tribal.

What do I build to break me out of this worrying trend, Veeky Forums? I've been considering building something way out of my comfort zone like a Naya or Jeskai list, or Gruul possibly

Without getting too much into /ccg/ turf, he'd be banned so fucking hard. Channel is out for a reason. Not the world's worst attempt at him, though, and closer to a reasonable card than most that go with 20-mana "none of this text matters because you just ended the game" bullcrap.

Personally I'd do up his ultimate form as a Phyrexian Arena with legs and activated abilities to Death Cloud and Yawg's Will.

As for O-Kagachi... I'd have preferred a splashier presence at a higher cost but at least, unlike Ludevic, there's a speck of O-Kagachi's idea somewhere in there. Ludevic is... fucking nothing to do with anything. As much as I don't tend to support silver-border commanders if anybody wants to paste Ludevic's name and image onto Grusilda, I'd play it. It'd be more Ludevic than what we got.

I think Ludevic being a noWhite commander would have been swell, probably with the other two colors being an activated abilities of his.
I still think that design like Shaman of the Great Ways except 4 color would have been good instead of fucking partners.

Has

no vials

The best way to avoid a tribal list is to build a deck that wants to play as few creatures as possible. Since you highlighted Gruul as a possible color combo you want to try, consider Wort, the Raidmother Spellslinger.

>What the fuck is the flavor supposed to be?
How do you justify these legendary creatures commanding troops and equipping relics from other planes in the first place?

>How do you justify these legendary creatures commanding troops and equipping relics from other planes in the first place?
Dragon Ball Super, but for MTG, where we are the gods.

>Actually, that's surprisingly balanced.

Except for how it's not at all.

>gruul commanders, non-Tribal
Ruric Thar "FUCK BLUE PLAYERS"
Rosheen Meanderer XXX
Mina and Denn continuous landfall (fuck angry elemental man)

>Ability gives unlimited free mana on-demand with a """"drawback"""
>wow that seems balanced

How to spot someone who doesn't understand the game

>implying unlimited free mana on-demand is at all difficult in Commander
Do you cower at the sight of a Basalt Monolith

Needing 1 card for it is different from needing 2+ cards.
Besides, they've made plenty of busted shit in the past but that's not a reason to keep doing it.

>unlimited amount of colourless mana vs unlimited amount of black mana, which is actually useful
Anus mana doesn't help you pay the price, shitter. Do you even Drain life?

You dont fuck with my boy omnath.

>a single card in the command zone that generates infinite black mana at any time is the same as multiple cards that combo together to make infinite colorless mana

how to spot someone who doesn't understand the game

I mean Omnath goes straight into Mia and Denn

You'd reanimate it you twit. Six black pips is stupid to cast from the command zone.

As much as it's clearly broken, there are a wide variety of ways you can wreck some one. You'd only really "win" at instant speed with something like a quickened exsanguinate or Oona, but if someone plays a split second spell or ends the phase, you're completely fucked. 20 Mana isn't a lot of Mana. Black colour identity is more difficult, it really should be colourless, but 90% of things are much worse.

Are combat manipulation effects like pic related worth playing? I like the idea but they're probably useless against non-creature based decks.

t. just picked up a Sunforger and trying to build an interesting Boros deck

Imagine being so compelled to be the devil's advocate you defend a shitty custom card.

>Six black pips is stupid to cast from the command zone.
>Your commander is mono black
>Mono black has trouble casting six black pips

>the color that doubles its mana from swamps and has ritual effects has trouble casting something that's 6 mana

user stop defending your card its getting embarrassing

>infinite mana

how does it do that? you would need infinite life. 19 mana =/= infinite

Master Warcraft is something you cast:
>before your game winning combat, holding a red "damage can't be prevented" spell ideally
>as a psudeo fog
>when you're completely protected against the attack and need them tapped out
It's pretty versatile, but it definitely is highly situational.

you're retarded, it means you cant ramp into it with mana crypt sol ring, dynamo, medallion etc