This MTG card stock problem is getting out of hand

Say what you want, but if this is really a thing then Wizards really needs to actually do shit now.

reddit.com/r/magictcg/comments/7wepz6

TL;DR:
>SCG Philly
>Player plays/topdecks pic related
>Opponent calls judge claiming card is marked
>Judge issues game loss to person who played Kess
>Turns out the opponent knew to call judge because he himself couldn't find a Kess card that wasn't marked/curled and had to play a worse card in his deck as a substitute

TL;DR TL;DR: Players can't play a magic card in competition because they're all of shit quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgtop8.com/event?e=18400&d=314228&f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/deck/915021#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw you can't even play EDH because wotc product is trash

It was Legacy.

she's ran in Legacy? List?

just a fun-of in some of those 4 color control decks

mtgtop8.com/event?e=18400&d=314228&f=LE

It says in the post that it was Czech pile.
mtggoldfish.com/deck/915021#paper

>It turns out our Player's OP had told the judge the exact position of Kess, Dissident Mage in our players deck based on foil curl alone, something our player was concerned with, but was powerless to prevent, even with double sleeving
I'm calling fucking bullshit on this right now. Unless it was double sleeved with wafer penny sleeves there is no fucking way DOUBLE SLEEVING wouldn't flatten the card out, or at the very least make it legally indistinguishable from the other cards in the deck
also
>calls out card due to foiling bend
>im-fucking-plying this is a card stock issue and not a foiling material issue that's been occurring since fucking Kamigawa

it's time to stop

ok, dont care. I can't do anything about it. You tell me to stop buying cards, ok I just use online sellers anyway. Now what? Did your cards bend back? I don't think so.

>reddit
REEEEEEEEEEEE

I think the lower quality card stock is exacerbating the foil curl problem.
Although it strikes me as strange that in these modern times we live in, we can't have foil cards that don't curl.

this is incorrect, i dare you to find me a Kess out there with no noticeable curve, mine is double sleeved but it doesnt matter, and ive yet to find one that doesnt have this problem. same with meren, etc

>calls out card due to foiling bend
>im-fucking-plying this is a card stock issue and not a foiling material issue that's been occurring since fucking Kamigawa

actually you're confused here, back in Kamigawa and 10 edition days foils had a curling problem, but they actually fixed that a bit, and now later 8ed border foils usually are better. but then the m15 border came into existence, and wotc started cutting costs with shitty cardstock, and now even their non-foils are having serious curling problems, and have just a generally terrible and flimsy feel to them

but even that problem is different from the curling on their special print run foils like ftv foils and commander foils, which have just truly awful curling issues that cant be fixed with the normal solutions

>Although it strikes me as strange that in these modern times we live in, we can't have foil cards that don't curl.
You totally can, in games that aren't Magic.

Ok, guys, how has WotC fucked up MTG this time? I return every year to ask this, and between the decreasing number of players and participants, the saga of fucking up MTG continues. Is it only shitty quality cards, or there is more?

This. I keep all my commons in a big box with a handful of silica packets and you can tell where m15 starts because they've ALL fucking curled inwards.

I do hate that some cards can only be gotten in shitty foil. WotC's foiling has never been half as good as other games. I have Digimon cards that I played for years unsleeved in the schoolyard floor and they're beaten but straight, but you can't leave MtG foils, no matter the age, out of a sleeve for a single day without them getting springy.

It all comes down to cutting costs.
Worse paper, worse software, worse employees. From there a plethora of different but interconnected problems have arisen and we can't seem to see the end of it. Every couple weeks something new breaks in WotC's card castle.

Honestly, sounds like another alt-righter trying to smear WOTC. The card stock issue was fixed in the most recent sets.

Czech?

No it wasn't, Explorers of Ixalan seems to be fine but my Rivals of Ixalan foils are taco shells.
There's nothing "alt" about consumer rights. WotC offers cards and a competitive scene to play them but right now there are at least 12 cards that can't be played on sanctioned events because of quality control issues.
They need to fix it, we need to pester them until they fix it, and we want them to fix it because we want to play the fucking game not because we want it to die you dunce.

Must be nice to live in a world where you can blame everything you dislike/disagree with on a boogieman named 'alt right' or 'trump supporter'

Czech. Take a wild guess where it was developed.

No it hasn’t, if anything there’s a noticeably and steadily increasing trend in curling capacity of my cards since Khans, peaking in Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan. And I one of the fucking idiots enabling Wizards who buys a lot of cards. You want me to make a graph and publish it in a peer-reviewed journal? I’m in STEM. Fuck, we have raytracing and laser scanning equipment in one of our facilities we can even have a shape-factor measure of the curling beyond “height above ground”.

This is increasingly sounding like a good idea. Gimme a few months.

>organised play
>The REL where, until recently, you miss your “beginning of combat phase” triggers when you declare “go to combat”.
>The REL where it’s a liability to use foil cards due to Wizards being cheapskates and allowing their foils to curl

“Pretty Chill” REL masterrace, I play with friends who use unsleeved cards with ketchup stains on the cardbacks and we don’t give a shit as we riffle shuffle each other’s decks. Who cares about curling when you force the cards to all curl one way.

I’m being hyperbolic of course, people who play at organised play events are the salt of the community in so many ways.

>defending consumer's rights is now an alt-right thing
In what kind of fucking world are we living exactly?

A world in which anyone who ever agrees with anything UnsleevedMedia ever says is instantly an alt-right GanerGate Nazi MRA doxer sexist racist misogynist capitalist.

The idiots who are still losing their shit on him for "driving away" that camwhore even go so far as to support pedophiles just because they'll be damned before they admit he was right.

And he's been loudly bitching about card stock issues for a long time. But it's UnsleevedMedia saying it, so obviously that means there's no problem and if you disagree, well, buzzword soup.

He is not the only one. Even the Professor has a video on that

If only the professor would address the pedo issue too....fucking cuck.

Nah, 8th edition curls too. They all do.

There’s not a card stock quality issue. I live in Tennessee, been raining every 3 days since Jan. 1. Cards are all fine and dandy, from Lorwyn to Unstable.

Christine Sprankle will not touch your pee-pee no matter how hard you shill.

How's it going anons?

Would you like me to post my pack fresh Mana Drain so you all will fuck off? I also have a foil ancestral visions from iconic masters, and it's fine too. If it's not fine, double sleeve it, put a book on top, then there you go. I personally use a giant fuck off book of the complete works of Jules Verne, but whatever floats your boat.

/pol/, you cock gobbling retards, you could probably flatten it exclusively with your own hubris. Go shit up your own board and let this bullshit die.

Who?

Explorers cards are pretty shitty stock the cards feel thinner then usual and thus bend easily

>random statement without any backup
Go on, provide me with some proof.

First card i grab out of the box... played 3 games with it, they all bend backwards.

>not in a sleeve
>not double sleeved
>played games with it
This is of your own doing user. Don't riffle shuffle and it will be fine. Still, that's barely bent at all, put a book on that shit and it'll be fine in a day or so.

>buy seemingly cool product.
>have to buy an extra 480 sleeves to just keep em straight for 2 games.
Yeah it's probably fixable, and i really don't care for these specific cards. But like i said in my first post they feel thinner, can't really provide proof of that.

>buying trading cards you intend to play with
>not buying sleeves to protect those fragile shits
You don't have to do anything user, but wait a few months for all this shitposting to die down before you discuss it, or you'll be lumped in with the crossboarders.

Those who play the game on a higher level/tournament grinders play drafts without bothering to sleeve them, user.

Potentially, but those swarthy fuckeroos will 110% sleeve something they know is valuable. Like *insert foil chase mythic here* for standard sets, or Mana Drain/Mana Crypt.

My mercadian masques and urzas foils are still flat. And i dont even store them tightly

I unearthed some 4th edition cards in a bag in my basement and they've somehow curled less in that time than my fetchland from MM17 did laying on a counter for an hour.

Those guys also don't pay for their own cards, so...

You're right. It was me, Hitler. I bent the cards.

tfw all of my commander foils are fine.
Y'all niggaz live in a swamp.

Why does everybody talk about card stock issues when they can't tell between two cards 1 old, 1 new and don't know what to look for?
When are you dumb motherfuckers going to stop regurgitating shit you heard of other people?

I’m in California where its dry as shit and Ixalan cards curl straight out of the pack.

Drafter here. Can confirm. Play unsleeved but if I draw a chase, I'm sleeving unless I'm at my LGS, they let me proxy any card that's worth anything.

Please kill yourself.

Wizards has officially acknowledged the physical card quality issue. We'll see what comes of it.

As a side note, that judge should be executed.

lol those unstable cards are curved

Probably when my cards stop fucking warping in days or less. I shouldn't have to double sleeve my bulk to prevent them from curling when I haven't needed to up until AMK. The FTV cards I have also are fucked on the boarders. No amount of you saying "you don't know what you're talking about" will change the fact that my Liliana, Defiant Necromancer is off center.

Do you even own any amonkhet cards, like, at all?

lmao

Why don't people just use hard sleeves?

>instead of fixing their supply chain, wotc just changes the rules
>bent cards no longer count as marked cards
>meta shifts into marking cards with various curvatures
>mtg becomes a magicians game

why won't wotc just print decent cards

>becomes

>implying half of the players aren't actual Wizards themselves