MTG Ask a Judge

Welcome back to the weekly ask a judge thread!

Any questions on MTG rulings, policies, etc are welcome here.

Last thread some user asked why I wasn't using a moniker of my own, and I couldn't really think of a good reason. So from here on I'll be calling myself Crepitus. I jammed the word explosion into google translate a few times and stopped when I found it in a language that sounded like a name (latin).

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.magicjudges.org/coordinators/2018/01/09/program-coordinator-statement/
blogs.magicjudges.org/conduct/2018/01/11/statement-ross-prajzner/
blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg1-1/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shameless self bump

Why does the company protect pedophiles?

Judge, apart from cycling, are there other abilities that aren't considered cast from hand or graveyard?

There's a lot of misinformation going around at the moment. This came up in the last thread as well. Here's some articles written by people who know a lot more about the situation that I do.

blogs.magicjudges.org/coordinators/2018/01/09/program-coordinator-statement/
blogs.magicjudges.org/conduct/2018/01/11/statement-ross-prajzner/

There sure are!
Here's a couple of activated abilities you can use from your hand or grave:
Forecast
Bloodrush
Unearth
Transmute
Recover
Scavenge

Is that what you're after?

I'm about to attack with a Bomat Courier and a Glorybringer. What comes first, Exert or the Bomat Courier trigger?

Yes, that's good. Thanks Crepitus.

>misinformation
You should've just said you can't talk about it, rather than shill for a company that would replace you in a week if you dropped dead of a heart attack.

They both trigger at the same time, when they attack, and when a player controls two triggered abilities going onto the stack at the same time, that player chooses which order they go onto the stack. So whichever one you want!

No worries!

It's not that I can't talk about it, it's that I really don't know much about it. I can talk about it all I want, but I'd just be paraphrasing from other judges who write those articles.

Dumb question which I'm quite sure I may know the answer of already, but just want to double check since I'm having a brain fart.

Hazoret's Favor, the word usage of "at the beginning of the next end step", does it imply my end step is when the creature is sacrificed, or is it the end step after the first end step?

Don't worry, there are no dumb questions. Besides, this is an anonymous Himalayan basket-weaving board, nobody knows who you are here.

"beginning of the next end step" mean the first end step after the ability/spell resolves. So in this case, your end step.

There's an old trick in legacy where you Flickerwisp your Flickerwisp, which comes back during your end step and exiles something of your opponent's until their end step.

Gotcha, thanks man!

If I exploit a creature with a death trigger, which goes onto the stack first?

The paragraph break on Opt is confusing me. Say my opponent has a Codex Shredder and Lantern of Insight, I cast Opt and scry to the bottom, does my opponent see the new card on top and can they Shred it before I draw?

Why is magic the gathering's player base dwindling? I want to get into the game, but the loss of players and the sjw shit has kept me out for the last 2 years. Is it worth it?

nobody can do jack shit while a card's effect is resolving, they have to wait until opt is wholly off the stack to fuck with your card

That's what I thought. Thanks bro

Exploit is a bit weird in that each exploit creature has two separate triggered abilities. Lets go through it.
Exploit creature enters, exploit triggers on ETB.
Exploit resolves, sacrificing a dude. Exploit creature's second ability triggers (when ... exploits a creature, ...) and so does your guy's death trigger.
You control them both so you can put them onto the stack in any order, then they resolve backwards, first in, last out.

tl;dr: they both trigger off the same event, so you choose.

>do they see the new card
Yes. Lantern has a continuous effect in that you always show the top card of the deck, so they will see what you draw. Same as if you cast a Divination, they will see both cards you draw.
>can they mill it before I draw
No, while scrying and drawing are separate actions, your opponent can't do anything while you're half way through resolving a spell.

Only you can answer that question. I certainly enjoy it and while we have lost a few players since the kahns era, the game is still alive and well where I live. The east coast of Australia is slowly getting to the point where there's a game store every two to three hours, with one every twenty minutes in capital cities. Try to do some drafts at your local store. That way if you don't like the players, you've only lost $40.

can i use my gender (cis-het female) to force concessions from problematic males on the basis of privilege?

Thanks for the answer to I've played a few kitchen table matches with friends who were really into it (two dropped the game ~6 months ago because of careers, and one for what they deemed as the "immature direction" the game was heading). I liked the game mechanics, but with the recent pedo shit, and the continued forced sjw stuff (I'm strictly going by stuff I've seen at my lgs, asked from friends, seen on this board, and then my own googling), I've been resistant to make the plunge. For a hobby, I really am not looking for political rhetoric, left or right, if you know what I mean: get enough of that at my university. Anyway, I think I'm going to try what you said and do a draft in store.

political stuff doesn't happen in stores
it's just a bunch of nerds who want to play a card game
fret ye not

Can you activate a morph when a spell with split second is on the stack?

yes!

So I run a variant of Tron that runs 5 colors and a few infinite loops(long story) but I have a few procedural questions for you:

I usually use dice of multiple colors to track my mana over the course of my turn(I untap a lot of lands & stuff) as well as how many times I trigger certain effects. Recently I heard I that WotC changed what can be represented as dice, will I still be okay using my dice to represent floating mana and stuff like storm count?

Also, if I'm doing an infinite with multiple steps when can I just shortcut them? Once I've gotten to the first step again once or twice? I am afraid of someone making me go through the steps for longer than I need to and wasting precious match time.

Thanks!

Can you counter a Split Second spell with a Morph creature like Voidmage Apprentice or Stratus Dancer?

Yep. Triggered abilities like Voidmage Apprentice's can go on the stack above split second just fine.

No worries. How much that stuff affects you really depends on how much you look into it. If you don't want to hear about how progressive everything is, don't read those articles, don't talk to those people, don't open those threads. I know its sometimes hard to avoid, but at the very least, it's mentally draining playing magic. Usually during a match everyone is focused on playing the game, less so on chit chat.

Yes!

Split second prevents spells from being cast and activated abilities from being activated. Morph is a special action, you can tell it's not an activated ability because it's not worded as "cost: effect". Split second doesn't stop triggered abilities that trigger from morphing either, so Kheru Spellsnatcher can counter a Krosan Grip.

next post incoming!

>tracking storm and mana
These are fine to do with dice. The reason you can't use dice for poison, life and energy anymore is because those are number that change throughout the game, and will often be relevant over many turns, so if the table is bumped or you knock a die over with a card accidentally and nobody remembers what the number was on, it can be a pain to fix. With storm and mana that's something very temporary, lasting a turn at most and usually you'll be paying close attention to it. So there's less chance of it being knocked over and if it is, theres a higher chance that you remember it.
Side note, those policy changes only apply to competitive and professional REL, you can still track that stuff with dice at FNM.

>how to shortcut
First thing you have to do is demonstrate a loop. That is, demonstrate that you can do a set of actions that, at the end of them, leaves you in a position to do those actions again, repeatedly. Then you can propose a loop by stating how many iterations of it you want to do and what the end result is. Your opponent can either accept this, or decline it, but if they're declining it they better have a damn good reason to. If it's just to slow the match down, that's stalling and will get them disqualified. They can also say they respond at a certain point, after, say, a set number of iterations, or half way through a loop.

Example: You have a Kiki Jiki and a Pestermite. You tap your Kiki Jiki, targeting Pestermite, get a clone of Pestermite, whose ability untaps your Kiki Jiki. Now you're in the same position you started, but with an extra Pestermite. So this is a loop. You say that you'll do it ten billion times to get ten billion more tokens. They tell you they'll let you do it, but after the 20th token is on the field they'll Rakdos Charm you.

I bought an abacus for laughs to go with Gifts Storm, is it a sufficient method of tracking mana+storm at a GP?

That's up to the head judge. I would say no as it's not immediately obvious what the numbers are. If the dice says 6 floating, thats easy to determine. If you've got six beads on one side, well judge, it looked like five to me.

Good to know. Damn, that means that my buddy could have killed my birds when he exploited a Shambling Goblin.

Let's say I have Kessig Prowler with trample in play, and my opponent has two 0/1 creatures. I move to attack and he uses both of his creatures to defend. Once he declares his blockers, I decide to transform Kessig Prowler BEFORE damage is dealt.

What happens? Do we ignore Sinuous Predator's ability in this instance, but still deal damage as Sinuous Predator? Or is Kessig Prowler considered to have transformed after damage was dealt?

It's "can't be blocked except..." clause only applies as blockers are being assigned. Once those two 0/1's are blocking, they stay blocking for the rest of combat, regardless whether he flips, gains flying or gains unblockable, it's too late for those abilities to matter. You'd have to transform it before blockers for it's ability to matter. Otherwise you just have a 4/4 with trample being blocked by two 0/1's.

Ok that's good to know. Thank you!

Whoops shit, was going to ask about that card too but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

I'll ask anyway just to be sure. If Shrill Howler is transformed into Howling Chorus after blockers are declared, but before damage is dealt, it's second ability still triggers right, since Howling Chorus is now dealing damage?

No worries!
And thats correct. When dealing with transform cards, ignore everything on the other side.

If i put my cock on my opponents head what happens?

Here's one.
My friend and I where playing an EDH game the other day with some randoms and my friend attacked into a random opponent with Gishath Sun's Avatar which has trample. The opponent blocked with Nezahal, Primal Tide and exiled it using it's ability. He claimed there would be no trample damage even though there was 0 toughness blocking Gishath.

What's the correct answer to this? Is there damage dealt or not?

Mr judge man.
EDH baby here.
Could you please explain to me the correct interactions between thawing glaciers, amulate of vigor and patron of the moon.

Just what can I do with it? What would be the most efficient thing and just how do the rulings work?

If you're in a public place, you get arrested for public indecency. Otherwise, it's up to your playgroup.

>702.19c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.

It tramples right over my friend. If it didn't have trample it would work the way he wanted it to.

It's a little complicated, so lets go through it (or what I think is the most efficient usage) one step at a time.
Activate Glaciers by paying a mana and tapping it. Resolve the ability and grab a land, which untaps apon entering. So you paid a mana to tutor an untapped land, thats not bad.
During the cleanup step Glaciers's delayed triggered ability hits the stack, and bounces itself. Now, normally players don't get priority in the cleanup step, but there's a little know rule that if an ability triggers or a state based action is performed during the cleanup step, players receive priority and there is another cleanup step once the stack is empty and everyone passes. So once Glaciers has bounced itself, you can activate Patron, spending a mana to put it back into play. It untaps. Now we're exactly where we started, except you have one extra land on the field, and one less mana because you spent two (one activating Glaciers, one on Patron) and gained one (from the land entering from Glaciers). This is a loop you can do once per open mana you have. You got five mana? You can put five lands on the battlefield from your deck, with one mana at the end to use your Patron one last time.
You could also just do it once during each other players turn if you don't want to explain how multiple cleanup steps work.

Alles klar?

What does a warning in a tournament do exactly?
I have watched some coverage of large tournaments and when someone slip up (and if it's not too bad) they get a warning and the game goes on. Are they just symbolic or are they noted down somewhere and makes a difference later on?

Straight from the IPG (infraction procedure guide)
>The purpose of a Warning is to alert judges and players involved that a problem has occurred and to keep a permanent record of the infraction in the DCI Penalty Database.

They give more weight to the "please be more careful" since they're officially tracked and can't be handwaved away. We track them within tournaments so we know if a player has multiple warnings, they can be upgraded.

As for what they actually do? That depends on the category. Three warnings for Game Play Errors upgrades to a game loss, two Tournament Error warnings upgrade to a game loss. There are exceptions; warnings from Failure to Maintain Game State never get upgraded because we don't want players to fear getting a game loss if they spot something wrong (eg, Pacifism on a Black Knight) and as a result, don't want to call a judge.

Here's the system in more detail
blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg1-1/

Whoops, my name fell off. Anyway, I'm off to bed. I'll answer more questions in the morning, or if it's down, I'll make another later in the week.

I have
Deeproot Elite out
I play jungleborn pioneer
Oppenent plays expel from orazca in response on deeproot elite.
Do I get the counters?
Is there some sort of priority I get?
Thanks

first, I'm gonna lay out the situation as I think you've described it to make sure I'm answering the scenario you're trying to describe
>Deeproot Elite is in play
>Jungleborn Pioneer is on the stack
>Opponent responds with Expel from Orazca targeting Deeproot Elite
In this case (assuming you don't have any responses) his Expel will resolve, bouncing your Elite (or putting it on top of your library if he ascends), then your Pioneer will resolve, enter play and create a 1/1 merfolk.
>Is there some sort of priority I get?
when you opponent casts Expel and puts it on the stack he passes priority to you allowing you to cast spells or activate abilities if you have any available. You're only option to save Elite while keeping it in play would be to counter his Expel or make Elite an illegal target for it before it resolves.

Thanks m8

Oh wow it does push back the clean up step.
Thought I could only do it once per cleanup step.
I'm glad I understand now.
Thank you mate.

Board: 3 lands, Young Pyromancer
Hand: Primal Growth

Say I cast the Primal Growth with this board state. Can I pay the kicker cost on Primal Growth with the token that Young Pyromancer creates? There's been debate on it among my playgroup and we don't know any judges personally so I'd love to settle it.

>normally players don't get priority in the cleanup step, but there's a little know rule that if an ability triggers or a state based action is performed during the cleanup step, players receive priority and there is another cleanup step once the stack is empty and everyone passes
So let me ask you something
Two of my favorite decks are my Necropotence deck and a Manaless Dredge
Necropotence has an activated ability:
>Pay 1 Life: exile the top card of your library face down. Put that card into your hand at the beginning of your next end step.
I have a few questions about it
I can activate it as many times as I want, but the triggers will happen all at once, so I get to decide which one of the cards go to my hand first, is it correct? (Could be somehow useful when using scry or something)
Since there are multiple instances, does that rule apply? Each one of those cards make me get an extra cleanup step? Or, because of the stack only being empty after all of them are in my hand, I get only one extra cleanup step?
Can I pay 1 life during my main phase, put it into my hand at the cleanup step, get an additional cleanup step, activate Necropotence's ability again, get another card, and do it as many times as I want, basically buying one card at a time until I want to keep my hand as it is?

Talking about Dredge now:
In my opponent's turn a Narcomoeba enters the battlefield during his main phase
Phantasmagorian and Prized Amalgam in my graveyard
At the end of the turn, Prized Amalgam triggers
I respond to the trigger by discarding 2 cards and another Prized Amalgam in order to return Phantasmagorian to my hand
The trigger resolves, Prized Amalgam 1 ETB
This triggers Prized 2
Does Prized 2 enter the battlefield this turn, since there'll be another cleanup step, or will it have to wait until the next cleanup step in my turn?

Sorry for the gigantic post

The kicker is an addtional cost which means you pay it at the same time you pay the mana cost. Pyromancer triggers when the spell is cast - that is after the cost has been paid.
So to answer your question: No, you can't.

You need to pay kickers as you cast the spell. At that time, you don't have the token yet (young pyro's ability hasn't triggered and resolved) so you can't pay unless you sac young pyro itself.

Your end step is not your cleanup step. It goes:
>End step
>Cleanup step
So your end step starts and you put all the cards exiled with Necropotence's ability into your hand. At this point you have priority and can activate Necropotence's ability as many times as you want, however, they won't be put into your hand until your next end step on your next turn.
Then you go to cleanup step and discard to hand size and will most likely not get priority.

Same sort of thing with the second situation. Your 2nd Prized amalgam will come back on the next end step, but your opponent's end step has already started, so it will come back on your end step.
However, in response to the Nacromoeba trigger, you can activate Phantasmagorian ability and put your 2nd Prized Amalgam into the bin. When nacro resolves and enters the battlefield both amalgams will see it and trigger, and you'll get both during your opponent's end step.

Provided it deals damage to a player and not just a creature.

Thanks!

[[taunting elf]] + [[camouflage]]

what happen ? Is dominaria exploding ?

In the oracle text of camouflage it says "instead of declaring blockers" which is when Taunting Elf's ability is relevant. So you would resolve Camouflage without considering Taunting Elf's ability.

Thanks for keep the thread alive and answering questions everyone!

You can do it only once per cleanup. You just get as many cleanups as you need.

Unfortunately as said, it doesn't work.
Normally nothing happens in the end step unless something triggers there, like Necro or Amalgam, but players get priority either way. The cleanup step is where you discard to hand size, "until end of turn" effects and damage wear off. Normaly nobody gets priority.

Good point, I did overlook that.

Nah man, if you wanna explode Dominaria, you gotta cast a Shahrazad, then Burning Wish for that Shahrazad once you get into your subgame.

With the card stock issues becoming more prevalent, what's the policy if i player uses a checklist card/proxy to represent a warped card that he owns in his library?

Until wizards addresses it directly, no beuno. Proxys can only be created by the head judge, and only for cards that have been damaged during the course of a tournament through no fault of the player, or are marked straight out of a booster during a limited tournament.

That said, this issue is becoming more well known. Talk to your judge, or the head judge at a large event, explain the issue, show them a few copies of the card, maybe some vendors have some they could check.
The judge might be sympathetic and make an exception. At FNM level I would. That said, I haven't had first hand experience with this warping issue, so you would have to prove it first.

Aw shit
I've mistaken end step for clean-up step
Thanks
At least I've been playing it right
Exiling lots of cards with necro and getting them at the end step, and discarding amalgams in response to narcomoebas' triggers to get them all onto the battlefield
Thanks for the responses

How many pedophiles do you know as judges?

What would you do if at COMP REL I cast Collected Company and I put all six cards into my hand. Obviously assume it was a brainfart and not cheating.

I don't know enough about the IPG and comp REL to give you a super confident answer, but I'll do my best.

It's definitely a hidden card error, and from what I've gathered from the IPG 2.3
>If the error involves one or more cards that were supposed to be revealed, the player reveals the set of cards that contains the unrevealed cards and his or her opponent chooses that many previously-unknown cards. Treat those as the cards that were ‘revealed’ and return them to the set that was being selected from; the player then reperforms the action. If recreating the original selection set and reperforming the action would be too disruptive, leave the selected cards in hand.

So you reveal your hand, your opponent chooses six cards that they didn't already know were there and you treat it as if those six were the ones you hit with company. It's a super feel bad, but the only other option would be just pick six randomly. That has the potential for abuse, however, if you hand has three possible hits and the top six has zero, you could add them to your hand, go for the random ones, take the warning on the chin and have a better chance at winning the game.

Oh, and regardless of the fix, it's a warning.

Bump. The woes of living on the quiet side of the world

If I play Savage Summoning in response to Day of Judgment, is there any way I could 'flash' out a Mycoloth to devour my own creatures before they are all destroyed, without the Mycoloth itself being destroyed? I assume not, but I'm curious as to how those interactions would work.

Pretty sure it's the case, but lemme verify anyway. Winning the game trumps any "can't lose the game" effects, right? Say player A is winning the game, player B has Abyssal Persecutor, and player C, who can't lose the game, is just there. Player C still loses because Player A winning the game trumps Abyssal Persecutor's ability to prevent him from losing the game, right? Game still ends?

I have a question about colorless mana and what differenciates it from "generic" mana.

Let's say I want to play Matter Reshaper. Do I need to tap at least one land that says "Add " ( being the symbol for colorless), or is a land that says "Add (1)" fine as well ?

I ask this because I just started using tronlands and the card says "Add (1)" but the Gatherer says "Add 1 "

Thanks a lot !

Lets go through it one step at a time:
>Day of Judgment is on the stack.
>You cast Savage Summoning, which resolves, then flash in Mycoloth
>Mycoloth resolves, eats all your dudes
>Day of Judgment resolves, destroying your Mycoloth and anything else on the board

That's a no can do. There's no way to be tricky with it when it comes to boardwipes. Something like Anger of the Gods you could get around, because your Mycoloth (probably) won't die from it.

That's correct. When you win the game, nobody elses loses, you just win. Game over, man.

After Oath of the Gatewatch got released, some terminology got changed. It used to be that generic mana costs (like sol ring costing (1)) and colourless mana producers (like sol ring producing (2)) were defined by the same symbol in game. Which was somewhat strange. So they changed the colourless symbol to () and errated all cards that made colourless mana to have this symbol on them. So now Sol Ring costs (1) and taps for ()(). Much better. Anything that has (1) in it's mana cost is generic mana that can be paid with any colour and anything that has () is colourless and can only be paid with by sources that make ().

The answer to your question is yes, lands that tap for (1) are fine for Matter Reshaper, because they've all been errated into tapping for (), as you've noticed with the tron lands.

Thanks for the fast reply, have a good one bud

No worries. Sitting here waiting in anticipation of that B&R announcement

If you block with a skeleton that has deathtough and regenerate it, does the attacking creature die from the deathtouch effect? I've heard rulings both ways.

I assume you mean regenerating the attacker, not the skeleton. In that case, The regen shield sees that the attacker has taken lethal and pops, tapping it and removing all damage from it, so the attacker doesn't die. What deathtouch does it is makes any amount of damage dealt lethal damage, if the skeleton blocks a 3/3 it's identical to a 5/5 blocking the 3/3 from the 3/3's perspective.

How do you find judges when a tournament is happening within 500 feet of a school or daycare center?

Nah I mean the defending skeleton. Some people have told me due to the desription of death touch, if you block and regenerate with a death touch skeleton, the attacker does not for since they were removed from combat or whatever. Others have told me otherwise. I hope its otherwise. I use this meme skeleton deck with Death Baron and I hope I haven't been wrong this whole time.

Ah, right. Don't worry, everything works how you want it to. Meme skeletons can never truly be killed.

So, both creatures deal damage at the same time, then the next time state based actions are checked (immediately after damage) their dude dies from being dealt damage by a deathtouch source, and your dude has it's death replaced by regenerating.

But I can certainly see where those people figured that out from. Regenerate is a sloppy bucket of effects, it puts a "shield" on the creature, which replaces the next time it would be destroyed this turn with "tap it, remove it from combat and remove all damage from it". In this case, it's already done it's combat damage so removing it from combat does little to nothing. Unless their creature has first strike, then you dude gets removed from combat before it can deal any damage back.

That brings up the question though, if Death Baron gives skeletons deathtouch, and all humans have skeletons in them, shouldn't he be able to beat Thalia in a fight?

Thank you!

where is gA

I don't like this

If I play Commune with the Gods, do I choose the order of the cards when they go to my graveyard when playing Pauper? Or do they go in the order they were on top of the library, minus the chosen card?

Can I use Ramos, Dragon Engine's activated ability twice per turn if I have Experiment Kraj out, or does the "activate this ability only once per turn" clause prevent separate entities with the same ability from using it?

They enter the graveyard all at the same time, meaning you get to choose the order. Here's the relevant rule:

404.3. If an effect or rule puts two or more cards into the same graveyard at the same time, the owner of those cards may arrange them in any order.

Each instance of an ability remembers how many times it was used each turn. In other words, if you have two permanents with Ramos's ability, you can use each one's "once per turn" ability once, for a total of two times. The same applies for Experiment Kraj. For some reason, if Ramos had his "once per turn" ability listed twice on his card (or you copied Ramos by use of Mirror Gallery), you could activate that ability a total of four times per turn - once for each instance of the ability on Ramos himself, and twice for Experiment Kraj, since he has two instances of the ability.

Can I sneak this thicc girl into play with aether vial in response to something targeting my slivers to counter it?

No, it needs to be on the battlefield before the spell is cast.

Does Bloodbraid Elf + Boom/Bust still work?

I know there was some change last year for fuse cards... not sure if it applies to all split cards.

He's dead, Jim.

The sliver has to be on the field to see your thing get targeted, if you flash it in in response to the thing being targeted, well, it's already "become the target of a spell or ability", so alas, it does not work.

Nope - they changed the rules that the CMC of a split card is both it's CMC's combined, unless it's on the stack, wherapon it's whatever the half you're casting is. So BBE will just see an 8 CMC card and wheel past it.

Rolled 45 + 50 (1d50 + 50)

What exactly is the flavor of Baffling End? Is the meta-joke just that it doesn't make sense?

The creature in question disappears.
When you remove the enchantment, you follow the trail and find that it was a dinosaur who ate the creature all along.

Yeah it's pretty meh

noob question

Can I Remand a spell I cast from my graveyard with Flashback and have it return to my hand before it resolves and I have to exile it?

Yeah, the flavour of it baffles me.

That's a good question. Lets look at the text for flashback, from the CR:
>“Flashback [cost]” means “You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost” and “If the flashback cost was paid, exile this card instead of putting it anywhere else any time it would leave the stack.”

That last part is the bit we're interested in. Flashback makes it get exiled once it leaves the stack, regardless of where it is going to, so remand will straight up exile flashbacked spells.

Is there any rules gotcha more fun that someone discarding Obstinate Baloth to Smallpox? My wins need more judge calls.