>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What's your favorite monk subclass and why?

anime shitposter BTFO

I wish Way of the Four Elements wasn't trash, because that's my favourite Monk subclass, flavour-wise.

Open hand, because it is most monk-y.

Funnily enough, I feel the same way about Kensei.

At this point my favourite is likely Kensei, if only because all of the subclasses themselves are a little lackluster.
90% of Monk's fun comes from the base class, subclasses just seem to be more of an augment to that

Shadow, because I'm a sucker for casting Silence on every spellcaster I ever encounter

Why not just run up to them and slap then/turn them into a carrot with two Stunning Strikes for the same Ki cost and deal damage, but they still can't cast

Speaking of Kensei...

>Agile Parry.
If you make an unarmed strike as part of
the Attack action on your turn and are holding a kensei
weapon, you can use it to defend yourself if it is a melee
weapon

Does that mean weapon-monk get bonuses for not using weapons?

It's pretty retarded, yes.

I houserule that requirement away.

It's tough to pick. Long death can be fun to roleplay and solves the Monk's HP issues, Sun Soul is fun to make Jesus, and if you know the campaign's going to reach 20 somehow Open Hand is fun to OMAE WA MOU SHINDERU people.

>thread removed because of Paizofagging
>Posts Pathfinder monk iconic

That would work sometimes, but our casters love to nuke so I generally don't run in until after the Fireballs go off.

Fuck that you've got Evasion. Let them nuke you and then dodge their entire fireball. Shit on both the enemies and your own caster at the same time.

I am building a level 5 Awakened mystic for a short-term, level 5, one-on-one, very combat-light game with a heavy emphasis on non-humanoid NPCs. These are the disciplines I have picked out.

• Nomadic Mind for proficiencies and Find Creature
• Aura Sight for advantage on Wisdom (Insight)
• Mantle of Joy for advantage on Charisma (Persuasion)
• Psychic Disruption or Psychic Phantoms for advantage on Charisma (Deception)
• Telepathic Contact for Exacting Query and Occluded Mind

I cannot help but think that most of the abilities across my character's five psionic disciplines are situational chaff, especially in a one-on-one game that is supposed to be very combat-light. Is this simply to be expected from a mystic, or am I doing something wrong as I pick out disciplines? I want my character to be highly socially skilled and a subtle trickster, you see. Should I drop one of these disciplines in favor of Psychic Inquisition?

With the above in mind, might another class build be more ideal for a short-term, level 5, one-on-one, very combat-light game with a heavy emphasis on non-humanoid NPCs?

Why would a player even want to become a lich?

>Mystic ever

I dunno, captain autismo, you are just looking for validation of your own choices, so why don't you tell us what you want to hear?

So have their been any full 3rd-party games published under the 5e ruleset? Stuff like Pathfinder, FantasyCraft, True20, etc.

>shadow
>lackluster
Explain yourself.

Damage resistances and immunities, condition immunities, truesight, effective immortality (if you hide your phylactery well enough), paralyzing touch. Could be appealing, sucks that you can't simulacrum yourself anymore but you can just make simulacra of somebody else.

Shadow is the best by far. Kensei is moderately okay mechanically but fun and flavorful.

From last thread: what's a good way to do a brick house forge cleric? I think they break the game but might as well play to type and be hard to kill. Was thinking Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric X/Cavalier 3 and taking Tough at level 4.

>monks
>ever

I'd probably take Heavy Armor Master first, so you have it while it's most effective.

One friend mentioned he considers for his clerics to have his holy symbol tattooed on his character's body, to ease the requirements for spell casting.

Is that great idea, or retarded one? Why?

You could use the unofficial one.

>I want my character to be highly socially skilled and a subtle trickster
then play a bard or a swashbuckler rogue

Flurry of Blows is always unarmed strikes though.

Depends on the god, but really spellcasting focus requirements very very rarely actually matter.

My Drunken Master player is a whirlwind of death and booze

It's also not part of the attack action.

Anybody tried converting ad&d or 2e stuff to 5e?

Any tips?

Just saw a lotfp product that seems to have some neat potential for out of the abyss, but obvs built for osr games.

>part of the attack action

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a vengeance paladin less, serious? character-wise.

I don't want to be a shitty character or break character, but I can't see my character, whose backstory involves being betrayed, anything but angsty.

Sorry to ask

The DM is interested in giving the mystic a try.

He seeks revenge in two ways. The first way is standard, killing the one who betrayed him. The second way is living a good, happy life just to spite his betrayer, just in case he never does find him. A life seeking vengeance is only a life wasted if you allow that vengeance to control everything you do.

I'm probably only going to get one feat, so I'd rather not take one that's only 'good when fresh' - Tough gives a pretty hefty boost to HP across all levels and doubles down on the racial bonus.

>practicing fire magic in a library

Does this have a follow up picture that shows the inevitable outcome?

Thanks.

Eh, I should add though, the betrayal wasn't personal. The person he idolized just manipulated a war for his own benefit. But that is something I can try to work with.

>edgelord class that doesn't even do anything special
>not lackluster
If it actually fit a ninja theme rather than just *teleports behind you* it might actually be good. Instead it's just a shitty variant of spellcaster at level 3, and at level 6 you get to use your bonus action for doing approximately nothing, when you were already generally fast enough to catch people and use your bonus action for something useful. It's not like the extra ground you can cover is even all that useful, as Monks could already be the fastest class in the game and could use their bonus for dashing.

>*teleports behind you*
>not ninja shit

Drunken master is mechanically WOT4E-tier.

No that's just fedora shit
Ninja shit is running across tightropes or flipping over someone.
Darkness could have easily been a special smokebomb, silence could have been a technique that, I don't know, lets you use your bonus action to augment your attacks to automatically prevent spellcasting and concentration, etc. Shadow Monk could have been a class that actually had built-in ninja tools and tactics and been something memorable (and more fun for multiclassing).

Hes out damaging my moon druid and rogue on a per round basis. Though a real delight is the rp aspect of a perma-drunk triton

>Outdamaging shit
Probably because your teammates are jokes / not trying to optimize, much like you are for playing a shit archetype.

Drunken master's mechanics don't even fit the fluff. It's just a 'GOTTA GO FAST' mememonk.

What's your favorite animal to use as a familiar?

Im the DM dude

>perma-drunk
>he fell for the Zui-Quan martial artists are literally drunk meme

He'd outdps them solely because he's a Monk. The only real combat advantage they get is the 'use your reaction to make one guy hit another', but that also requires that the guy you're redirecting not only misses you, but actually does enough damage to matter.

Monks outdamage literally everything pre-5 and still have high average DPS even at high levels. But everything is going to look weak when you compare it to GWM/SS shit and ignore that utility is never factored into average DPS calcs

>ninjas
>not fedora shit

>Monks outdamage literally everything pre-5 and still have high average DPS even at high levels. But everything is going to look weak when you compare it to GWM/SS shit and ignore that utility is never factored into average DPS calcs
When you consider feats, everything balances out nicely, actually.
Monks are at the bottom (Even pre-5 if any feats are obtained then) damage-wise but make up for it immensely with stuns (Which only come at level 5 anyway, so)
Rogues are second-bottom, but have good skills utility and other things.
and then you get the 'heavy' martials like paladin, fighter and barbarian, maybe ranger actually doing proper damage.

OK so I've been trying to come up with a good excuse for a Lich to interact with the players before it's time to fight it (they're only level 7, they can not touch it yet, and I've gotten some good suggestions from other /5eg/ threads, but I'm still tweaking it.

My party is getting ready to enter a nearby mine. What if I were to hide the entrance to the Lich's old lair in that mine? A bit too convenient, or...?

>Ninjas
>fedora shit
Ninjas are only considered fedora shit because of anime. Heck, samurai is fedora shit because of anime and they've got subclasses too. All of Japan is fedora shit because of anime.
In real life, ninjas didn't run around pretending to cast jutsus and shit. They were the assassin your Assassin Rogue tries to be and scaled walls with some of the most complex tools of the time. Kunoichi were basically prostitutes that stabbed you in the dick after honeytrapping you.

Half elf.

Teleportation has good shit it can do like take you across a chasm or whatever. Some fights, 60ft extra movement as a bonus action without spending ki and advantage with it can be nice.
You can go into the air, ignore difficult terrain, go through doorways with keyholes I believe, etc.

Compare it to the other monks. Every monk sucks save for open hand and shadow monk. It's really not competing with much at all.
Pass without trace is brilliant and darkness or silence has their situational uses.

One of the two characters I'm playing right now is a vHuman Shadow Monk with Mage Slayer and Mobile. I'm the bane of enemy spellcasters.

Especially because I've got a Ring of Darkness and a Headband of Truesight (15ft.). Drop one of my three uses of Darkness on them, teleport behind them, and then poke them in the ass with my spear. They're concentrating on a spell? Two darts from range, run up, flurry of blows, run away.

I know thats its a particular style and they arent literally drunk, but im not gonna pass up on those sweet 70's kung fu shenanigans
He often uses persuasion to get people to let their guard down in rp situations, all im saying is he is a fun character and player to DM for

Which one is that?

The reasons jutsus are a thing is because is because back in the days there were legends about ninjas having magic powers like the ability to summon animals.

Dumb anime shit actually has some pretty obvious roots in old japanese legends. Bunch of ougis and shit all over the place.

>6E will almost certainly be 4E innovations in 5E's shell

How does this make you feel?

/5eg/, Help me create a Daylight counterpart to Cloak of The Bat?

New DM here, am I going to far by having my current main villain have his fingers in every pie?

The general gist of it is that he's an unknown figure operating from the shadows trying to destabilize the entire kingdom by doing cunt stuff like rallying orc tribes together and convincing them they can take over the land, knowing fine well they can't, but just to not only weaken the kingdom's military with pointless battles and also getting rid of the Orcs, causing unrest between the different classes of the capital and instigating riots and other stuff like that, just trying to weaken the whole system presumably so he can take over or something.

The party is going to investigate some bandits who supposedly have a powerful artifact that's elevated them from annoyance to major threat. Would I be going too far by having the aforementioned baddie be the one who gave them it? I like the idea that he's basically causing havoc on a huge scale, but at the same time I'm worrying that he's gonna end up turning into a cartoon Villain who's got a new plan that fails every week, even though the plans are never actually meant to succeed and just weaken.

Cloak of the Hawk?

Cloak of the Phoenix.

Cloak of the Rooster.

like it's at least 10 years from mattering because of the truckloads of money they're making on 5e

Damage wise Monks objectively outdps everything that isn't just the top-3 bullshit right now, meaning GWM, SS and Quickened Cantrips on Sorcs.
Utility-wise, Monks can easily target the lower 13AC enemy when your other martials are forced to fight the 18 AC enemy and can easily obtain artificial DPS increases that way.
Monk stuns are an effective DPS increases for the extra DPS everyone else gets when attacking with advantage when they otherwise wouldn't.
And once Monks hit 1d8s, they're doing more average damage at all levels beyond than pre-GWM greatswords on any class. The only reason they fall behind anyone is because of the feats that provide free modifiers (GWM, SS, Agonizing Blast (even if the last one isn't a feat, it fits)).

They've already been talking about 6E though, according to them it will be "backwards compatible"

Those were fictional stories written during a period where the concept of 'art' had literally destroyed the capital of Japan and taken over the entire country and the Shogunate was forcibly established to be the faux-leader of Japan so they could correct the country. No real ninjas were ever actually associated with any of those stories, except in modern day depictions where people like Hattori Hanzo are put in games like Nioh.

>Damage wise Monks objectively outdps everything IF YOU IGNORE FEATS and various other boons that might give bonus attacks and such
>Utility-wise, Monks can easily target the lower -- Oh no, wait, crossbow expert guy can target even further than the monk can target so better just throw that out the window right now.
>Monk stuns are an effective DPS increases for the extra DPS among stopping the enemy from doing anything and halting concentration etc so maybe you should be using feats in your game so monks aren't actually just bstter fighters and to make martials more on-par with casters?
>And once Monks hit 1d8s, they're doing more average damage at all levels beyond actually using the rules everyone uses (feats)

Monks in general obey the above but drunken masters really don't provide anything. Open hand and shadow monks are the better monkls.

I agree, I like Drunken Master thematically but it falls behind mechanically. But I'm talking about the base class, subclasses irrelevant.

seconding cloak of the rooster

sounds more like 5.5

Yeah, and talking about the base class, everything I just said applies.
The game isn't balanced until you factor in feats.

On the note of Monks, and I know y'all tend to hate Critical Role, but does anyone have the Cobalt Soul subclass that Matt Mercer homebrewed anywhere, or could at least point me to it? Just curious to see what it can do now that it's in the show.

Nah, there's no reason it would be an issue. Bonus points if the players end up in the employment of said villain, unknowingly helping him out by nipping potential threats before they take control so they can more easily cement their grip on power.

>Damage wise Monks objectively outdps everything IF YOU IGNORE FEATS and various other boons that might give bonus attacks and such
You're literally saying that because Monk can't match the most absolute bullshit builds that abuse the exact same dips that Monk is a bad class? Lmao fuck off with that.
>Utility-wise, Monks can easily target the lower -- Oh no, wait, crossbow expert guy can target even further than the monk can target so better just throw that out the window right now.
And now you're cherrypicking one specific build which is ranged when I specifically pointed out melee. By your logic, why even play literally anything other than CBE SS? Because it does the most damage of any class and has the freedom to choose what AC they'll target.
>Monk stuns are an effective DPS increases for the extra DPS among stopping the enemy from doing anything and halting concentration etc so maybe you should be using feats in your game so monks aren't actually just bstter fighters and to make martials more on-par with casters?
What the fuck does this actually even mean? There's very few classes that can actually get advantage on demand, so a Monk freely providing it to literally anyone is an effective DPS increase. "Oh but Barb can get advantage", don't cherrypick, fuck off.
>And once Monks hit 1d8s, they're doing more average damage at all levels beyond actually using the rules everyone uses (feats)
So what you're saying is that feats are OP, not the classes you're using to compare to Monk, gotcha.

Sure, but I want something I know my DM is going to allow. A lot of DMs don't allow homebrew at all because of all the overpowered crap out there.

I assume this one.

>why even play literally anything other than CBE SS? Because it does the most damage of any class and has the freedom to choose what AC they'll target.

This is actually the justification people will give for why any class is bad and it's obnoxious. When you point out why any class is good, they'll just pop out the absolute best class and try to say that everything else is worthless by association. CBE SS is abused cancer and anyone using it as a valid argument for why something else is weak needs to be culled.

>You're literally saying that because Monk can't match the most absolute bullshit builds that abuse the exact same dips that Monk is a bad class? Lmao fuck off with that.
Hey, we're here to talk about how the game is, not how the game is if you make a characer that's literaelly a fucking joke and then cry about your characer being a joke.
>By your logic, why even play literally anything other than CBE SS? Because it does the most damage of any class and has the freedom to choose what AC they'll target.
Exactly? Why play anything but CBE SS?
There really isn't any reason. So why are you trying to press monk being able to target any target as a good thing when any fighter that chooses to by building so can do the same?
If the fighter doesn't care about who they target they can just not build CBE SS.
>There's very few classes that can actually get advantage on demand
Wizards, warlocks, barbarians, fighters, paladins, rogues - I could keep going, but monks actually have a harder time getting advantage than the ones I just listed, because the enemy might succeed all the saves.
The point I'm making is that the stuns are what makes monk good, not the damage, and disallowing feats makes monk overpowered in comparison to fighters n' shit.
>So what you're saying is that feats are OP, not the classes you're using to compare to Monk, gotcha.
>Feats
>OP
I bet you think martials are all S tier classes.

Sounds fine as long as your party don't feel like they're only ones being fucked over by him.
Also, think about who else would be opposing him, maybe an equally shady organization of good or even a rival bad guy.
And don't him become a pushover. Have some of his plans succeed, show evidence of his meddling in a burnt out village or something.

Just my two cents, user.

>There really isn't any reason
Wait, isn't "I want to smash puny goblins with fucking big hammer" reason enough?

You can just play the base WOT4E monk. It's really not that much less powerful than one of the better monks.
You still get useful utility if you stop trying to fucking elemental punch all the enemies and waste your ki (Being able to fly is a massive boon, or gas your way through doors or whatever) and otherwise core monk is fine, monk archetypes only add slight extras.

I mean, that's good reason, but if you're doing that then we can assume the monk isn't going to build 100% optimal either.
Monk is seriously easy to fuck over because if you don't max out your main attribute stats and don't manage your ki/stuns correctly it's not as great as it could be.

How fucked is my game of Lost Mines Veeky Forums?

I goofed and instead of the village priest just wanting to know about a wizard's spellbook, the priest actually *had* a wizard's spellbook and wanted to know more about it. Party goes off and asks Agatha about where the wizard has gone to, she says he's alive, and near, but not in a form that anyone would know him in.

Party goes back to town and tells the priest, manages to convince her that the book is safer with them and takes it. There's no wizard in the party, so none of them can read it, so they carry on with their other quests.

They go to the Old Owl Well and run into the necromancer, who they assume to just be a normal wizard from his robes, so they ask if he can translate the book. Necromancer immediately gets greedy, charms the sorcerer into handing over the book, dies in the ensuing fight.

So they have a higher level wizard's spellbook, with no way to translate it, and Agatha knows they're interested in finding the wizard.

Also, they're not following up on the Redbrands at all. They got into a fight with a couple, ran away, came back to town a day later and ran into the same guys, knocked them out. Questioned them afterwards, but then killed them and dropped the bodies by a random house. So the next day I had the Redbrands kill the family who lived there and burn the house down. The party just left town, not wanting to get involved.

Is this salvageable? They don't seem into the main quest anymore.

There's only one thing you can do.

Tell them gay marriage isn't legal.

Sorry user I've never ran Lost Mines before

>Hey, we're here to talk about how the game is, not how the game is if you make a characer that's literaelly a fucking joke and then cry about your characer being a joke.
No, you're cherrypicking specific things that are the absolute top of their role for any individual thing and saying that it invalidates that Monk can do multiple things others can't and gets eDPS for all of them.
>Exactly? Why play anything but CBE SS?
>There really isn't any reason. So why are you trying to press monk being able to target any target as a good thing when any fighter that chooses to by building so can do the same?
>If the fighter doesn't care about who they target they can just not build CBE SS.
Why even have a party of anything other than four CBE SS Fighters? Because they can just destroy every encounter. Cherrypicking the most bullshit builds isn't an argument for proving why a specific class is bad.
>Wizards, warlocks, barbarians, fighters, paladins, rogues - I could keep going, but monks actually have a harder time getting advantage than the ones I just listed, because the enemy might succeed all the saves.
[citation needed for any of these classes other than Barb and XGE Samurai Fighter, and a Warlock wasting a turn setting up Darkness]
Don't just list shit off and then not actually prove it. Wizards don't get advantage from anything unless they've already CC'd something the turn before, Warlocks only get it by setting up Darkness in advance, Barbarians I already pointed out, Fighters, Paladins, and Rogues don't get it from anything other than flanking and that's a specific situation that has nothing to do with the individual class.
>I bet you think martials are all S tier classes.
Zero basis.

You don't realize that outside of Fighter ones, 90% of DPS builds I know you'd compare to Monk don't even function without multiclassing, so you're not even talking about individual classes, and the Fighter is only ahead because of feats that specifically give modifiers

If you still want to give advantage on stealth checks, look up some camoflaged birds.
Otherwise give an Cloak of the Eagle advantage on perception or a Cloak of the Parrot deception or persuasion.

Have the "wizard" they're looking for being held by Nezznar who's torturing him because he wants that valuable spellbook.

Plot Twist: The wizard is actually the apprentice of a now-dead wizard who was just trying to take his master's spellbook back to his master's wife and hoping she'll take him under her wing.

After Lost Mines, BAM, you've got a hook. The apprentice can teach a full caster how to make scrolls while they're traveling and they get to have an adventure returning the book to the wizard's wife and potentially some good loot.

I don't get the armor categories in 5e when they all lead to the same AC. It seems to just mean that STR and capped medium armor users need to spend gold to catch up with the guy in light armor whose AC keeps going up without spending anything.

By level 4, light guy spent 45 GP to get AC 16, med guy spent 50 GP to get 16 AC with disadvantage on stealth (or 400GP! for 16 AC with no disadvantage) and heavy weapons guy spent 75 to also get 16 AC with disadvantage.

By level 8, light armor gives the guy 17 AC for 45 GP, medium guy needs to spend 750 to catch up with disadvantage and heavy guy spends 200 to have the exact same shit as medium guy.

Never mind that sorcerers, monks and shit have caught up without spending anything.

Sure, the money spent is peanuts in 5e, but it feels like medium armor is inherently worse than the other two and heavy armor only gets to claim some level of superiority with it's plate armor for 1,500GP. And in the end, if they all lead to pretty much the same AC score, what is even the point?

As the game is, characters start out as follows - 14 AC on characters that start with light armor, 15 to 16 on naked characters (obviously, being naked is better than wearing light armor) and 16 on medium and heavy armor guysthis is assuming none of them is a dumb ass who can't into creating their character. Then, they all become the same AC a few levels down the line. And it's not even like they are spending any long amount with those gaps, level 4 comes absurdly quickly during play.

Is there any optional rules system that remedies this in any way?

A fighter that chooses defense style, and has a shield can comfortably sit at 20 AC on first level

Isn't a high level pc just strictly better, though?

>Sure, the money spent is peanuts in 5e, but it feels like medium armor is inherently worse than the other two and heavy armor only gets to claim some level of superiority with it's plate armor for 1,500GP. And in the end, if they all lead to pretty much the same AC score, what is even the point?

Primarily? Stat investments and abilities. While they end up at largely the same AC score, heavy armor characters can focus on their offensive score or con, rather than dabbling in dex. Meanwhile, dex characters get defense and offense from their stat so that they don't need to become watered down MADhouses that can't do much.

>14 AC on characters that start with light armor, 15 to 16 on naked characters (obviously, being naked is better than wearing light armor)

I'm not really sure how you're arriving at the conclusion "obviously, being naked is better than wearing light armor" and getting AC values of 15-16 for everyone. It's better for classes that thrive on that - barbarian and monk, and everyone else pretty much wants armor.

>absolute top of their role for any individual thing and saying that it invalidates that Monk can do multiple things others can't and gets eDPS for all of them.
So you're saying 'monks are the best at DPS' and then saying 'how dare you compare monks to the highest DPS characters'
Make up your mind. While you could say monks are easy to build, they are incredibly easy to build wrong as well. If a monk doesn't have good dex and doesn't up their dex on ASIs for example they'll start losing damage at a fast rate, among other ways they can fuck up their damage.
>Why even have a party of anything other than four CBE SS Fighters? Because they can just destroy every encounter
Because damage doesn't solve everything?
And monks aren't made for damage.
>Citation needed
Familiars are a wizard class feature.
Paladins have things like vengeance's channel divinity, or devotion paladin's effect is even stronger than that.
Rogues get it from familiars, mage hand, attacl-before-enemy-moves, bonus action hide, multiclass (barbarian multiclass is very strong), etc. There are plenty more ways, warlocks getting invisibile familiars also and fighters having battlemaster manoeuvres, EKs having familiars, so forth. But that's not all, grappling is a very easy thing with the rig- Oh no, I'm running out of post space, sorry.
>Zero basis
>needs multiclassing
You seem to have a lot to explain for yourself, really, because everything you're saying is against what we here at /5eg expect.

>comfortably having 200g at level 1 to throw at Splint

Don't even care if I get fuckin banned, just need to gloat about the fucking shad shitposter finally get btfo. Thank you to whatever mod responded to me and anyone else trying to resolve the situation.

Has Sildar not been asking them to find the dwarf and glassstaff? Did they even rescue sildar? The main quest is almost all there is so it's not too unreasonable to get things pointing back to it, maybe the Black Spider sends someone to steal the book, needing it to get something in the mines. Maybe the party runs into hobgoblins/goblins who flee in the direction of Cragmaw Castle. Maybe the bandits track them down and/or Glassstaff actually comes out for a confrontation? Maybe someone they know and trust is run out of town by the bandits? You don't always have to seed the plothooks, the heroes should be naturally interested in at least figuring out the dwarf situation so it should only take a couple of hints about that to get them back on track.

Why can't you be a high level PC and a lich? It takes some DM finagling anyway.

Got me there but by 5th level theres no excuse

Do what said. There are plenty of wizard villains in LMoP, who could be the spell book's owner, an apprentice thereof, or just a rival trying to find the book for themselves. Remember that the final objective of LMoP is the Forge of Spells, which is in the same dungeon as the study of a dead wizard (Mormensk if I recall) and is still haunted by his wraith. You could have one of Nezzar's doppelgänger henchmen disguise itself as a powerful wizard and offer to translate the book for them. Perhaps the Black Spider needs it to complete his plan, because the spell book contains instructions for a ritual that can restore the Forge of Spells to its former power. You have plenty of options.