The city my group is in is under attack by orcs. I left off last session with them on the walls, low on spells and hp...

The city my group is in is under attack by orcs. I left off last session with them on the walls, low on spells and hp, watching about 200 orcs charging toward the gate. My question: what kind of cool stuff can I give them besides battering rams ram and ladders? I'm already thinking some alchemical stuff to bust the gates down, but any other cool contraptions you guys can think of for these orcs to have? They need to breach a 20 foot wall with a 15 foot high gate made of wood reinforced with iron bands.

Depends on their siege tech and their access to magic. How about a siege beast? Sounds cool and can be their “mini boss”

They had a sorcerer but he died. I'd say they have a few mid to low level clerics. I already three a siege beast against them earlier in the battle so I'd like to avoid anything creature. Sorry shoulda specified that in the OP. Just any good devices that might help them breach the walls. I'm looking at real world siege equipment.

There’s not a lot you can do in one wave other than ladders and rams. If this siege has been going on for awhile or the orcs have been preparing for this attack you could throw a siege tower at them

Honestly those orcs doesnt seem to have enough manpower for siege engines. I mean only 200? Its not really a siege, is just a straight attack at the city. on the alchemical stuff you can perhaps copy Lord of The Rings movie/Helms deep battle. on cool shit to use maybe ballistas/siege hooks. If it was a more organized siege, they could encircle the city and build siege towers, throw bodies inside and shit like that.

Some sort of monster ram, like a rhino, would be in keeping with some of the orc stuff.

Something like pic related, filling the same role as a ladder but you can't just push it over.

I like this. Thanks. More pics like this would be appreciated. I will bookmark thread so that I remember to check back and read the whole thing. Thank you anons everything you are doing is helping a DM.

Also is it dick dm territory if they have been fighting the same faction since level 1 and one PC in particular has been insanely effective against them, killed multiple high ranking members of their group, and when they encounter some powerful minions of this group, said minions attack said PC first? He is the most dangerous by far but the player got pissy over it. Sometimes I feel like they don't even want to be in combat because all but two of them get pissy when they take damage.

If a pc has been actively taking out military leaders I’d say that merits special attention from the enemy. You could also put a bounty on him, could start some interesting RP moments

>and when they encounter some powerful minions of this group, said minions attack said PC first?

that would be fine, and could be handled in a way that makes the player smile. The key is to feed the players ego. His character has become known.

Give the PC a name from the orcs since they likely would not know his true name or identify with it. Something cool sounding.

In an encounter if the orcs are weaker than the PC, then they notice the effective character first - look at each other - utter his (not real, but orc given) name and run. So if a lone orc runs in to him he stops, stairs in fear, utters his orc name, and runs. That sort of thing.

If they are more powerful they yell his orc given name along with lines like 'now you pay' or some such and attack. Orc leaders should point him out, name him, and encourage orcs to target him with 'make him pay' type oaths.

They should act in a manner that makes since from the orcs point of view. During stealth and infiltration moments have the players hear the orcs talking about the PC. Sometimes it should be boasting about how the orc will slay him, sometimes it should be fearful talk about 'I heard he was in the area', other times talk (likely exaggerated or fictional) about some horrible/awesome thing the PC did.

Anyhow, try that, make the player feel like he is a bad ass and most likely all will be forgiven.

>Anyhow, try that, make the player feel like he is a bad ass and most likely all will be forgiven.
Shit I've done this, I've even had scenes with him listening to enemies in the next room talk about how much they want to kill him. Even with me pointing out that he is such a threat that they specifically target him he is mad for taking damage despite having the most HP in the party.

Tell him that is how the world works. Honestly, sounds like a snowflake. Perhaps suggest he play some sort of supportive player class that can get away with being a delicate flower.

War Elephants.

Kamikaze petardsorcs. They just carry them like boulders, and gets flung by the few catapults/trebuchets they have. They were to light the fuse mid-air for airburst damage.
And before you ask, yes, these are also berserkers with so much DR they can withstand the explosion.

easy

Honestly just going up in a 6-8 orc cluster might do it, if two have axes to chop a hole through and the others have tower shields. Unless they have flaming oil or something, they might have to drop to the battlefield.

Also your orc slayer's issue with taking damage needs to be addressed. That mentality is usually obnoxious and occasionally contagious.

Giant growth spells

I read that as 'Giant Growth Snails'.
Then I thought why they would bring battlesnails - they have radula that can grind down fortifications.
Only they're slow as fuck tho.

An enormous woolly siege rhino covered in armor that they walk up to the gate, turn around, use chains and hooks attached to the rhino to hook onto the gate and literally just pull it off.

Gives a good center point for the siege.

You need to have a final ending where the players are forced to have sex with the Orcs in order to escape.

His orcs might all be super hench, but 200 guys is pretty meagre when taking on a whole city with 20ft walls. A frontal assault against fortifications tends to cause horrific losses for the attackers.

Stone to flesh and they eat their way through

So orc it hurts.

Do it OP

I mean, if the snail was big enough it would move pretty fast... but it'd have have to be a ridiculous size

Or... they could just roll the snail while it's in its shell, right towards the offending wall. PERFECT

>four orcs rolling a pissed-off giant snail like a dung beetle rolling a turd

Now that's fantasy roleplay.

Petards are only kamakazi when you fuck up - depending on the orcs, that's entirely likely, but petards used as they should be is fine too.

Miners might be a good way of making small fights while still part of a general invasion.

A covered ram could be good, and it's surprisingly common for the ram to be replaced with burning pitch or something to splash on the gates

They could use tunneling goblins (or some other digger race)

Leg-up jumping onto the battlements

See pic