Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Deadfu edition.

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread:

You may have a point, although I think that fighting vrykuls stands more straight than Mystics. Need to check it.

>tfw used to think Warcraft lore and worldbuilding was deep.
>tfw watched Legends of the Galactic Heroes.

Lads, Raynor stole Yang's Flagship

It might just be the t-pose that is throwing me off, since that's Hodir's default stance. And I don't mean that it's their back that's hunched, it's that their necks project out almost perpendicular to their spine.

Well, the body of the Drust King is a construct, so I wouldn't be surprised if he used the animations of a Titan Keeper-sized being like Hodir. Actually, the proportions seem more in line with that of a Watcher than a Vrykul.

By this point I am not even sure if Hymdall is a Watcher or one of Stormforged Valarjar.
And Harbaron might be a Constellar.

Constellar and Vrykul use the same animations. Hymdall is a Vrykul.

Why did the nightborne join the Horde?

marketing demographics

next question

why did blizzard feel the need to invent the vrykul and that pantheon of demigods

It may seem that Harbaron is a mere mystic, and yet...
Adventure Guide
>The mysterious ferryman of souls stands at the helm of the Naglfar, gathering the damned and bringing them to Helya's domain. His connection with the fallen queen of the val'kyr is unclear, but when the breeze catches Harbaron's cloak, an expanse of shimmering stars unfolds beneath. Strange.
>Void Snap — Creates a ripple in the void at their present location, inflicting increasing Shadow damage to all players.
>Cosmic Scythe — Creates a cosmic faultline in a targeted direction, inflicting 219375 to 230625 Arcane damage to any enemies struck.
>Nether Rip — Conjures a rip the Twisting Nether at a target's location for 30 sec, immediately inflicting 237500 to 262500 Shadow damage to enemies within 4 yards of the impact point. This additionally defiles the ground, inflicting 75000 Shadow damage every second.
>Xal'atath whispers: It was thought his kind was incorruptible. A lesson from my brothers I suppose. (at Harbaron)

Playable Vrykul when? Blizzard please pander to my giantess fetish.

Which one? Google gives nothing.

I'm not a writer, but how else would one plan m y s t e r i e s o f t h e n o r t h?

Why did nightborne join the Horde?

>Raynor's Flagship is the Hyperion
>Yang's Flagship is the Hyperion

Well, he might be a Constellar. Or an ex-Constellar, considering that he seems fleshy.

Horde beeds more players and players want pretty elves.

>57922697
Because the Horde is explicitly an Elf faction now, or more like a Troll/mutant Troll faction.

Why do the void elves exist?

Only his living form, the rest are regular fights. Anyway, I meant in ICC itself.

dunno, didn't play Legion

I've been considering the topic of void elves and how potentially one could make a Helf to Velf Hunter convert. The most valid concern with Void Elves (barring the hardcore reeing of anti-Belf Helffags) is that RAW they couldn't have been part of anything in the story pre-Legion. But on the other hand canonically a High Elf would never want to or need to dabble in the Void, so the conversion doesn't make sense. But what if it wasn't voluntary? Pic related for a plausible backstory.

You could of course do the same thing but with a Belf swapped out for a Helf, but then you really kind of would be a double traitor. Also you miss out WoD and Legion, but that's not really a big deal. No-one cares about WoD and Legion wasn't any good for hunters anyway.

Void elves and lightforged are the most retarded thing to come out of Legion.

Personally, I believe it's just something they pulled out of their asses to prevent the utter torrent of rage that would erupt from both sides if the Horde ended up with more elves than the Alliance.

For some reason they don't want to add high elves. Maybe they're planning on making them a cosmetic option for blood elves some day, maybe it's just the spiteful ghost of Kosak haunting their offices, who knows?

To troll people who wanted high elves since vanilla and who got pissed Horde got the belves.

They even admit as much in /silly

>"I know what you're thinking, "Oh goody another elf", well I bet you weren't expecting a void elf, now were you?"

>High elves as a cosmetic option for blood elves
The butthurt I will personally generate will be pretty great.

>why can't we have blue-eyed blood elves in the Alliance?

The Horde would be completely barren if High Elves were playable.

Why are alliance players so butthurt that the nightborne went horde?

Because they wanted the pretty new elves. Simple as that.

aid in the end the alliance escaped because thalysra was a fucking commie bitch

and Tyrande was right.

I mean, I'd say there's just as many Horde players going "OH GOD NOT MORE ELVES, GET THE FUCK OUT YOU SKINNY FAGGOTS".

Like everything else related to the faction war, everyone is butthurt for different reasons.

Why do people defend Golden so much?

They're a really shitty writer.

I don't think anyone's defended any of the Warcraft writers.

I think the consensus is that Lord of the Clans and Rise of the Horde were good, Arthas had okayish writing but awful retcons, and most of the rest ranges from mediocre to terrible.

People that usually complain about Nightborne joining Horde instead of Alliance clearly ignore what other Elves did for Nightfallen, and what they did not.
>Thalyssra was quickly befriended by Liadrin, who saw similarities between Nightborne and Blood Elves
>Liadrin does her best to not simply liberate Suramar, but to also bring hope to its people, by making them know that Horde is on the way to help them
>Tyrande is there out of duty, and does not even try to be friendly to Thalryssa
>Vereesa is just tagging along with her High Elves
Any Night Elf that is friendly towards Nightfallen are either Moon Guard (which had no contact with other Kaldorei for 10 000 years), Valewalker Farodin (who is so ancient he were actually a student of keepers that belonged to pre-druidic traditions, which made Arcan'dor with aid of the first elven magi), fresh refugees from Val'Sharah (which are more local than related to main Kaldorei faction), and some druids, which mostly attacked Felsworn outside of public view, and released Su'esh.
Tyrande wasn't even trying to be friendly to her, didn't even suggested that her people may need presence of Priesthood of Elune, which is most likely gone from Nightborne society after 10 000 of years of not seeing the Moon, and instead suspects Thalryssa of becoming next Elisandre or even Azshara.

No bloody surprise they joined the Horde instead of Alliance.

You are asking for lore reasons or gameplay reasons?

I've definitely seen far more butthurt about red nightborne than I have about "World of Elfcraft."

I liked King's pre-Legion book a lot.

Alliance should have gotten Dark Iron Dwarves, High Elves, and Vrykul.

Like, comment, and subscribe if you agree.

And if I don't agree, because high elves are gay and Vrykul are mechanically impossible?

>Vrykul are mechanically impossible
Just make smaller Vrykul. Tauren are supposed to be 10+ feet tall in lore.

>smaller vrykul
So humans?

So you want humans and blue-eyed blood elves as allied races?

...why?

>Vrykul are the same as humans
>Vrykul are just taller humans
Clearly neither of you plays the game, if you say that.

Because they'd be more interesting and grounded in lore than piss-Draenei and purple Elves introduced literally yesterday.

>links a val'kyr
That's...that's not a vrykul, dude.

Personally, I think all 4 are retarded.

Why not Jinyu and winged Arakkoa?

Fuck it these threads suck.
Do better next week please.

You are aware that Val'kyr are made from vrykul women?

Yeah, and it's no more a vrykul than this forsaken is a human.

>Half naked Vrykul woman with eyes-concealing helmet and wings
>Not being closer to vrykul than a rotten human from a human
I would gladly post art of vrykul women, but it happens to be dominated by Val'kyr

You apparently suck at google searches, then.

Because he forgot the part where val'kyr are incorporeal

First of all, that's Veeky Forums not thicc of what is usually identified as thixx (fat, like Kul Tiran women). Second of all, that's not art.
Traits in what vrykul are different from humans:
>Taller
>Accent (and voices)
>Religion
>Culture
>Magic traditions

Things in which High Elves are different from Blood Elves
>Eyes are blue instead if green
>Does not try to sustain their mana needs by sucking demons imprisoned in crystal from their energy, which is the reason why Blood Elves have green eyes now
And that would be all.

>that's not art.
You may disagree that 3d modeling is art and requires the fine hand of an artist, but that doesn't change fact.>>Taller
>>Accent (and voices)
>>Religion
>>Culture
>>Magic traditions
So a different culture of humans.

'Kay

Given the only human kingdom that had different culture than that of Stormwind is now Worgen, which can look like regular humans, and we are yet to look into Kul Tiras, for a lorelet a tauren-sized vrykul may indeed appear to be nothing else than a different flavour of human.

But, on the other hand, the Kaldorei saved them from the Legion twice. Back during the War of the Ancients and then again, now. The Nightborne didn't help during the former case, and their bubble wouldn't have saved them.

They should have, logically, remained a neutral faction. They owed both factions a great debt, and the night elves are the actual kinsmen. There are plenty of Kaldorei that had been to Suramar before it closed off, and it's honestly really fucking weird for the Nightborne to now be after their blood, especially less than a year after they came to help liberate them. It's silly that they'd pick either faction instead of remaining in the middle.

For a more personal complaint, it's been really annoying to walk around Orgrimmar and have the spread be 40% Nightborne, 40% blood elves, and the majority of the rest undead.

>Given the only human kingdom that had different culture than that of Stormwind is now Worgen
I mean we don't necessarily know that.
Dalaran was probably different from Stormwind just by virtue of being a mage city and Stromgarde was closer to its Arathi roots.

>octopope

How many popes are we up to now?

Things in which High Elves are different from Blood Elves
>Eyes are blue instead if green
>Does not try to sustain their mana needs by sucking demons imprisoned in crystal from their energy, which is the reason why Blood Elves have green eyes now
And that would be all.

Yet then Alliance got Void elves:
>They are blue instead of having normal-ish colors
>suck voidcock instead of felcock

Can you just stop disliking Void Elves and start liking them?
ALL your problems will be over. It's a switch. Flip it.

Arakkoa and Ethereals.

High Elves vs Blood Elves:
>Blue Eyes
>Alliance gear
>Didn't ever do fel

Void Elves vs Blood Elves
>Blue eyes
>Blue skin
>Echo voice
>Tentacles
>Alliance gear
>Used fel as a gateway to void
100% more differences makes them a better deal for the same buck.

Alliance gets Mag'har.
Horde gets Vrykul.

Which faction is more butthurt?

How about a toast to democracy?

I was hoping that Void Elves were High Elves in the AEF who, shit, I don't know where I am going with this. They resorted to using whatever means necessary to defeat the Legion and now they have to live with their decision and go home in shame.

Don't they have good racial passives?

Me. I play both.

>it's been really annoying to walk around Orgrimmar and have the spread be 40% Nightborne, 40% blood elves

>those percentages

You serious?

>Ctrl+F "blue"
>at least 5 posts about "lol High Elves are just blue-eyed blood elves so they wouldn't work"
Yeah, it'd be pretty dumb to just have the same race on both sides, except one has different colored eyes. It'd be like if they made pandas for both sides and they looked exactly the same.

Wait...

How many femboys make up the Horde and Alliance?

That sounds like a rehash of Illidari. In fact Velfs as they are tap into Illidari as well.
As corruptive as the Void is they've only ever done victims of its power well in Mac'aree and Pandaria. I for one would prefer a new race born from vulnerability rather even more "needs the power".
So many NPC's get taken over by the Sha yet somehow the player just shrugs it off. If anyone feels like playing their Velfs as former Helfs, just say they're Sha victims.

Their passives are pretty sweet. The active racial isn't the worst out there but I can't figure out how to make it useful.

Have their cultures progressed to that level?

You have a point there. Perhaps they just wanted to give up and the Void was there?

I too would like to know this, but I'm not too surprised if it turns out to be true. Blizzard kind of screwed over Orcish pride with the direction they took the story. Hell, they kind of screwed over every race in the Horde that wasn't an Elf.

By shitting on all the story development they had in Warcraft 3, and shitting on Grom with his AU doppelganger, they've trashed what made Blizzard Orcs Blizzard Orcs.

I liked the Illidari a lot more when they were just a bunch of spiteful evil fags who hated everyone. Turning them and Illidan into CN by-any-means-necessary antiheroes cheapened them.

Not him but that sounds about right. I don't think there's as many undead as he suggests; they were never more popular than orcs. But the Horde has been the Elf Faction since TBC and Nightborne just made that worse. If I had any drawing skills I'd make one of those "looking down from heaven pics" where Orgrim Doomhammer looks down on Elves dancing on mailboxes in Orgrimmar.

They get reduced transmog prices. Blizzard knows exactly who wants to play them.

Literally what is interesting or connected to the current narrative when it comes to high elves? There is nothing unique or likeable about them. They're every other sort of elf that's already in the game, minus any traits that make them identifiable, likeable or unique. Even high elf feels like an incorrect name for them, they're just "elves," without any defining features or reason to like them more than any other.

You've got access to four exciting and different flavors of ice cream but instead you kick and scream because you don't have vanilla. You're called in to critique four different artists but you don't like any of their artwork, because the only sort of art you like is a blank canvas. You're offering four glossy yet tasteful options when it comes to a paint job for your car but you throw a tantrum because you don't want any paint to defile its bodywork at all. You can do nothing exciting or interesting as Quel'dorei that you couldn't do as Kaldorei, Sin'dorei, Shal'dorei or Ren'dorei. When someone asks you "what sort of elf you want senpai," you shouldn't answer "as bland as a glass of tap water."

Eh, Quest-Name puns are probably the least bad way to put a reference into WoW, it only barely effected the actual gameplay it just said than "These quests are about Imps, some of whom are invisible."

Naga elves.

That's possible. They were separated from the Sunwell as well, right?
It depends on how far back you want to go, do you want to start as a Velf from BfA or have been a Void Elf from BC onwards? Different options, different characters, different relationships with the Alliance and other elves.

Don't need an advanced culture to magic your hips bigger.

You're double right because if anyone wants the most vanilla option they can just pick human.
Helffags aren't just "I want vanilla!", they're "I want vanilla but with 0% chocolate!"

To be fair to the whole Nightborne being Horde, in universe lore both factions are not currently at open war. Just because you are a Horde or Alliance citizen (or even soldier) doesn't mean you automatically attack all members of the opposing faction. It's kind of like when a tauren meets a night elf, they probably won't kill each other without a good reason to. Some factions don't mind other ones much at all.

Alliance players in general enjoy traditional heroic fantasy tropes. This isn't me trying to shit on the Blues, they often make this very clear. They like knights, dorfs, Elven rangers, all that shit. And high elves are the only such generic fantasy staple which isn't available as a player element even though they exist in lore. They don't want purple wood elves, edgy Mana addict "blood" elves, or the walking Nightwish AMVs that are void elves. They want their heroic blue eyed high elves.

Personally I don't care. In fact I would have preferred it had Alliance actually gotten them instead of the Horde. Way I see it, if you're not all in with playing a le stinky lok'tar ogar race then you can't really call yourself a Horde player.

They were separated from the Sunwell, most probably lost family and friends in the Third War, effectively became stateless persons legally and persona non grata socially, etc.

>the walking Nightwish AMVs that are void elves
Void Elves are only as emo as you play them to be.

So they're going to be CRAAAAAAAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN 110% of the time?

I wish subraces were a thing instead of the allied race system. I want to be a Blackrock or Dragonmaw grey orc

Way I see it, if you're not all in with playing a le stinky lok'tar ogar race then you can't really call yourself a Horde player.
Skwobu.

If you're not playing a Void Elf as every scene kid emofag stereotype rolled into one you're doing it wrong. I only wish ripped black jeans and Asking Alexandria t-shirts were available as transmog options so I could really go whole hog.

Solution. Build up the High Elves from MoP, have them using shit they took from the Throne of Thunder, call them Storm Elves, make them highly militaristic, and give them all pale hair, standing on its end, and lightning blue eyes. Maybe give them some Mogu influences to make their arrchitecture and gear unique. Make them Jaina and Vereesa's followers, being one of the more aggressive factions of the Alliance, and make sure they properly obsess over how the Blood Elves are tainted but they remain pure as Storm Elves. An obsession with purity is a must.

Basically, give them blonde hair blue-eyed nazi elves.

I mean if you feel like it sure.
I don't play on Argent Dawn so I don't go around judging people how they RP and then complaining about it on Veeky Forums.
Bottom line is Void Elves may deviate from heroic traditional fantasy tropes, but they're not Nelves wearing Alliance gear and have distinctive facial animations. That's good enough for me.

Alternatively, they're cocksure and defiant TTGL-style trailblazers. They've mastered the most corrupting, corrosive force in the universe, who the fuck gave you the right to judge them for it?

A LOT of blues clearly like their purple wood elves.

Where do you place the douchebag UD rogue of vanilla legend?

Retard. You know helffags would complain about those too?
They want 0 baggage.

I'm running a murloc game of WoW RPG set on kul tiras, the story is pretty much, "Tribe gets sick of a human mage stealing young in attempts of domestication. Murlocs decide to start genociding humans for these constant offenses to them"
First session went really well, but I'm painfully low on artwork of murlocs, where's a good place for non-tadpole/murky artwork?

Mate.
That's not how the players who'd want to play as them will play as them.

Nope. Needs to be vanilla, needs to have no previously established personality. Only the most bland and traditional D&D-style elves allowed.

hearthstone cards, probably, but I imagine they get more meme-y as new expansions came out