>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/
What are wizard schools like in your setting? Do they even exist?

riposting since the last thread ended.
I plan on playing a Native American inspired ranger who only wears armor constructed from animals he’s hunted (so Deer hide when he starts off) and wields a long bow and a handaxe as his backup weapon.
I want to put a bit of an Ahab twist on his back story and character flaw and have him pursuing a large dangerous beast that rampaged through his village. The beast would have been heading towards the underdark which is why he’s there now.
Any suggestions on what his “white whale” should be? Also does anyone have a resource on westernized Native American names?
Would it be worth investing for mechanical/flavor reasons into rogue for the scout archetype?

I allow people to get feats through training themselves and roleplaying a ton. For instance, I had a player get GWM recently after spending over a half-dozen sessions, most of his gold on instructors, and all of his free time roleplaying learning and practicing rather than shopping or making money. He even practiced using GWM in battle instead of more optimal stuff, which I had him roll to see if it would succeed. It was good fun and gave him something tangible to work towards, both as a player and as a character.

>Anime/JRPG OP
He's back...

I play low-magic games. Wizards are rare, schools don't exist, and if they do they're so reclusive that are so reclusive they'd be harder to penetrate than any dwarven fortress.
Wizards effectively shape reality at high levels. The sheer concept of a wizard being able to mass-manufacture or drop meteors on towns makes them an enormous thread. If someone learns of a Wizard who can cast pretty much anything above 7th level, they've immediately got a target put on their head by some person with the funds to throw at it.
But in my setting it's also similar for high level Clerics, etc. The people who make all their money off poverty, suffering, etc, would gladly spend a small portion of their finances to ensure that there's no one going to come along who can suddenly end world hunger or make it so every disease can be easily cured.
Additionally, people who train schools of warriors for a living, are in charge of martial armies, etc, wouldn't be able to afford having wizards run rampant and clear out entire armies with only small packs. It'd effectively make martial warfare completely moot and everyone would just be dropping orbital bombardments on each other with meteors and sunbeams before cavalry can even reach a small group of decent wizards.

Has anyone ever actually played with the Plot Point system from the DMG?

Joe Windwalker should be hunting the legendary Roc or some other giant birb

So I want to create a person who was cursed to be a skeleton.

Aiming for a skeleton bard.
Is wearing a mask and all dressed up like a masquerade looking guy with a mask and hood and everything.

I’m new to this and have no idea where I would start, can I even play a skeleton?

He's always here, waiting for a chance to make his threads.

He never left, he just spent hours shitting on Mystics and Psionics.

I'm not him, how is this anime? It's just a picture of an Asian woman

Your DM might let you refluff another race as being a skeleton of that race instead. Worst comes to worst you could also go for a Revenant and just say you're particularly bonier than most.

The OP copy pasta is correct, thankfully. No troll links.

So I'm presently working on a 27 point buy sorcerer, is there a decent suggestion for where to put what?

Anything anime/jrpg styled is a no go.

The campaign is set entirely in the underdark so unfortunately I don't think a bird would work.
One user suggested a purple warm but that's a monstrosity rather than a beast. Is the Rnager's favored enemy that important or should I expand what could have fucked up his village?

Have you decided on a race yet?

>Any suggestions on what his "white whale" should be?
First thing that popped into my head was a Beholder.
How high level are you expected to be before he finally gets to confront it?
ask your dm first

Do people tend to use UA stuff as it comes out? Is there a general consensus on it overall? On a case by case basis?

Which version of Zephyr Strike do most people run with? Does it really matter?

Or is this all just shit I should ask my GM?

Lately Paizofag's had proper links but still posted anime OP.

Well I guess I'll pick a better OP pic next time sorry y'all.

Max cha, have 12/14 in dex /con.
Your choice in the rest

XGtE Zephyr Strike is best Zephyr Strike, I don't know why anyone would use the UA version.

What fantasy race would be the first to make jazz? Half elves?

This OP picture doesn't seem nearly as egregious to me as the stuff he usually posts.

There's a single overarching Wizard organization but most wizards are trained by older, skilled masters who are incentivized by the organization offering access to their libraries. The better you train an apprentice, the more access you get.

There are only ever 7 Archmages on the Council and they swap out every 100 years or longer depending on if there are viable candidates. They're very hands-off though. If a wizard comes asking for help, they're just going to tell him to hire some mercenaries. Unless that help will bring wealth to the group but, if they send out assistance, they get 90% of any wealth that would be accrued. So most wizards just join up with adventurers or hire mercenaries for assistance.

Technically there's a Knightly Order of wizards but that's just the in-setting location from which Bladesingers originate.

A Purple Worm makes sense for your "white whale" as they can often appear on the surface but are mostly found in the Underdark. And, Gloom Stalker Ranger/Scout Rogue would do quite well with an Underdark style campaign.

Black Humans

reposting from other thread:
>New player joins group
>player new to dnd
>highest stat is a 14
>half Avariel/half wood elf
>picks PHB beast master ranger
>picks barn owl as companion
>I offer to rebuild there character to a hunter ranger with barn owl familiar
>Nope I like it as it is
I am going to enjoy watching her burn to the ground.

probably

Although I flavour my guy as an axe-fighting/throwing Viking, this build would likely work perfectly for you. I don't like the theme of mine using a bow, but Kensei works perfectly with a longbow which would fit what you want (since Native Americans used both axes and bows), and Ranger means you can choose a favoured enemy that fits your theme.

Your white whale could should be a Roc like that one poster said, or some kind of creature that prowls through the deserts. Probably something huge with a burrow speed. Heck, based on the conversation a few threads back, you could even make it a Brass Dragon or something who has gone against his 'good' nature and is just slaughtering villages mindlessly.

15 in Dex, Con, Cha
8 in Str, Wis, Int
Non-variant human.

I'm not sure, our DM tends to like to set up long term threats in our campaigns. I'll have to ask him I guess.
Thanks

You could've at least pushed her towards Revised Ranger.

Okay apparently I know nothing about 5e
The build I had planned was just Hunter Ranger with Tunnel Fighter/PAM, but looking at Gloom Stalker it's actually crazy strong

Is GWM or PAM better for use with a glaive on ranger? I don't actually know.

she wouldn't go for "exact same character but doing 1d8 more damage a turn." A total rewrite with revised would never happen.

15 (16) Cha, 15 (16) Str, 14 Con, 10, 8, 8 whatever. Take Spell Sniper (and your first level in Fighter for martial stuff) if you want ranged Booming Blades/GFB with a glaive, or Warcaster if you use concentration/melee cantrips as reactions.

I was planning on a human, like suggested.

Thank you for the suggestion.

How strong would a Ring of Blur be on a melee fighter?

What are you suppose to do on sessions 0?
>no bulli am new

On Ranger, especially Deep Stalker, it's definitely GWM. You get advantage so easily it's not funny. First turn there'll always be something you can smack a million times to add up the modifier + have guaranteed advantage on, or if you fight in darkness you'll always have advantage, and with Zephyr Strike you can also guarantee advantage at least once.
GWM still lets you use your bonus action and Ranger already has plenty of bonus action options, so you don't need PAM for a consistent bonus. The modifier with advantage will add up far more anyway.
Glaive Ranger was the first build I made when Deep Stalker was shown, it's fun as fuck and works insanely well.

So joined a new group, 8th level. DM has a homebrew rule you can train during downtime/timeskips for a feat. Allowed me to use variant human and told me to pick an uncommon magic item.

My choice is a 8th level totem warrior, winged boots, and picked up the mobile/great weapon master feats. I decided I wanted to use a pike because they seem fun.

How fast is my new DM gonna get tired of me doing drive-bys with my 50 ft fly speed?

Recently got into D&D with a group of friends who are also new. I was stuck with being the DM, and wondering how exactly do I improve outside of sessions? I feel like I'm lacking a bit in improv character moments; I can't help but feel I'm too mechanical in my narration. Combat is a bit tough too, since we're using roll20 and it's too easy to fall back on the strategy rpg-esque map making combat souless.

That said, I feel like my players aren't the best at this either. Despite all of us having the exact same experience with it, I'm basically the only person who did any research whatsoever, so I have to explain every single rule. Which is frustrating especially when some of them don't even pay attention (leading to multiple explanations) or interrupt me. It also doesn't help that one of them watches popular groups like CR and felt the need to say how I should be more like Matt Mercer

I mean I really think I like this, especially DMing, but after our latest session I just feel drained.

Set up the players for the group meeting up. Give them reasons to work together.

What's the most fun Uncommon magical item?

+1 weapon

>Non-variant human.
Retarded.

You're gonna get a 'variant is too OP xd' in response

The goggles of infravision or whatever they're called. They let races without infravision get their solid snake on.

>Half-Drow are now a mix of creole jazz singers, jive talkers, James Brown soul, or straight up Prince with Little Richard on top.
I could dig it.

Serious question. Should players pick their classes and races before finding out the adventure they will play?

I say this as a group of friends and I bought CoS for our friend that likes to DM. We just hit Lv5 and because there are six PCs, the encounters have been manageable; however, because everyone sort of knew what we were getting involved with, we have a Paladin, Cleric and Sorcerer that are heavy optimized for undead and it feels like some of the shit our chaotic stupid bard has gotten us into should have killed us but haven't been too dangerous.

Decanter of Endless Water is uncommon I think

Why the fuck would you let the players know what you're going to run?

new players are so cute, actually wanting to play characters instead of just MINMAX MOTHERFUCKDR

what a cunt

I have a massive list of fun build ideas that are against the normal but still optimized and viable. I don't like making characters that just do the most deeps because it's boring as shit, but I love to make builds that revolve around very specific things (Spirit Guardians, Deep Stalker's darkness stuff, SCAG cantrip shenanigans with things like Swashbuckler, even dual-wield Monk). I take these concepts and just put RP ideas into it based on the adventure I actually take them into.
I don't make builds specifically for what's expected to be found in the campaigns I'm in, but I'm also not going to pick retarded options just for the sake of it.

Best class to go RIP AND TEAR?

>implying you can't both have a fun idea for a character and also minmax so that it's actually viable even if it's weaker option than something else

session 0 is optional character creation in group

in other words
>oh you're playing a ranger I guess I'll be a warlock
>should we have a tank?
>I don't think it matters
>I'll be a cleric anyway
>hey you're doing Sailor background? I'll do that too and we can have been shipmates
>anyone want to be my little sister, I'm playing a tiefling
>no fuck off
>wait I always wanted to be a little girl, I'll do it

that kind of shit.

Uh, Druid/Monk I guess? Become something with claws, slash shit with a bunch of attacks

>even if it's weaker
you can't even see yourself for what you are can you

also nice dubs, you totally deserve 2s

barbarian dummy. or Fighter 2/Barb X with dual weapon fighting and dual wielder. slap some shit with two battle axes and rage damage bonus

I'm playing a BM Fighter/AT Rogue whip user. I don't put out insane amounts of damage but the sheer amount of battlefield control I bring to the table makes my build extremely useful.

Trip, Menace, Distract, Disarm w/ 5 superiority die per short/long rest AND Mage Slayer + Magic Missile to deal with casts plus Magic Initiate for more cantrips and Shield for sticky situations.

I was worried I'd fall behind at later levels when it comes to damage but we're almost 14th level right now and I'm putting out almost as much DPR as the Brute Fighter.

As always the GETS don't lie

Because we are a group on friends since elementary school now in our 30s.

And we had two different homebrew campaigns and the guy that likes DMing asked us which module we would like.

So we, as a group, bought the DM the CoS book for Christmas.

>for what you are
Why the fuck do I have to play something objectively weak just because you think low stats and bad characters = roleplay? I said weaker than something else because if you're playing niche builds, you are generally always weaker than another option, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
I can play a Charisma Fighter that relies entirely on supporting Battlemaster abilities + Inspiring Leader, playing as the equivalent of a Sengoku-era strategist, which I have, but I can still make sure my stats aren't worthless and that what I'm doing isn't a detriment to my team, as opposed to just picking random shit for the sake of random shit.
>dubs
Go home

So essentially I want to fish for advantage and use the GWM -5 penalty buff thing?
And I get advantage against creatures who haven't acted yet
And I can get advantage while fighting somewhere dark
And I can get advantage off Zephyr Strike

So what am I doing with bonus actions? Just a lot of casting Zephyr Strike? What other spells are worth taking?

Most DM's inform players what the style/setting for the campaign will be so the players can make mechanically and thematically fitting characters.

My group is playing Curse of Strahd and they want to adopt a dire wolf.

How do I go about this? I kinda want to let them. But not just give it to them.

>my group wants to have a wild animal/monster as a pet
Why is this so common? Anyway just have it repeatedly be hostile because animals are supposed to be tamed BEFORE maturing

With your bonus action you use Hunter's Mark, Zephyr Strike, or GWM's bonus action attack when you crit/kill something (you'll be doing both relatively often).
Generally I always used Hunter's Mark first turn so that with my three attacks I'm getting 3d6 extra damage, as opposed to fishing for a crit or wanting a kill, and afterwards I just hit shit over and over again until it died from modifiers.
I used Zephyr Strike when I wanted to run through a bunch of opportunity attacks to get to a specific target, and then still have movement to kite away from that enemy with my 10 feet range.
Otherwise I just hit shit until it died. You generally always had a use for every part of your action economy

If it's an adult, they have to brute-force it into following them. If it's a pup, then there's less of a need for brute-forcing it unless they fail some animal handling checks while raising it.

Alright, cool

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I initially dismissed Gloom Stalker because I recalled Deep Stalker was weird Underdark stuff that didn't fit my character idea, but Gloom Stalker's altered flavor fits just fine.

More and more I'm realizing UA ranger actually has a shitton going for it
Like, it feels almost overloaded how much I get just because

Have them find a pup or go the RE4 route and have them rescue the dire wolf from a trap or something and then for the wolf to show up 1d4 days later and begin following them around from a distance, coming closer as they offer it food and succeed animal handling checks.

it's one thing to want to not min/max, it's another to be a PHB beast master ranger with a beast who does 1 damage on a hit.

Is it possible to play a kensei monk with the wandering swordsman/kurosawa ronin feel to it without going full on weeb?

well, 3 damage because +2 for proficiency.

I essentially ignored Deep Stalker's underdark 'flavour' much like you can ignore the flavour of any class as long as what you're doing still makes some iota of sense. I just take the subclass if it fits what I'm going for.

UA Ranger's only potentially overloaded stuff is the level 1 bonus - but if you take the 'ignore difficult terrain, advantage on initiative rolls, advantage on first turn of combat' of Natural Explorer and spread it across the first three levels of the class it's removed any semblance of issues. Even then, compared to Hexblade and Divine Sorcerer, the Revised level 1 dip is utility dip at best.

depends on what you consider weeb

How do you go about creating a PC class as a boss without being underpowered?

Fuck, rewatching. To answer your question, yes. There's nothing wrong with a weeb character so long as you just keep it in-game though.

What do you mean?

You mean "how do I make an enemy which is a certain class?" then look at the various ones already designed in the MM and Volo's, and use as a basis.

Make it a level 20 half elf dragon sorcerer/warlock just blasting everyone from afar with lots of utility spells and if he somehow doesn't win before he finishes spells make him go full weeb and teleport around while striking from behind

Multiclass really hard, use multiple PC bosses to match the party, make him a paragon (ie. he acts on two different initiatives each turn), give him a decent magic item that the PCs will get after beating him (if he doesn't get away, or something), etc.
Whenever I make a PC boss I level up the character to be PC's current level + x, where x is the number of people in the party, give him a feat like Lucky (you usually get at least four levels due to the number of people in the part, so a free feat) to deal with DCs, and you're generally fine.
Sometimes I just throw my juggernaut character at them that is basically made to solo campaigns through being impossible to kill while having Spirit Guardians/Shield and healing and just battle of attrition the party.

Multiple rounds of initiative, more health. I had the party fight an Oathbreaker Paladin who they were sent to retrieve a stolen artifact from. Rolled twice for initiative and gave him double hit die as well as good magic items such as a shield that maintained Shield of Faith on him, earrings which let him cast Shield twice and a +2 vampiric longsword.

I'm not sure what other people would consider weeb.
He'd be from not!japan but otherwise has the personality of a hero from old spaghetti western/samurai films.

IMO Kurosawa is definitely not weeb. In fact, he's one of the last bastions of old school Japanese ideals.

>without going full on weeb
Just don't wear a hundred belts or teleport behind people. Just be a mercenary/sellsword-type character who travels from monastery to monastery offering his services to people who can't afford real bodyguards. While on a journey to perfect his swordsmanship, he offers his services in places least likely to be defended, but also most likely to be pillaged or attacked. He gets seen as a generous soul, helps out those in need, but is still on his main goal to be a master swordsman.
There were knights who had the same type mentality as well just because it's human nature. Just because you wear clothes appropriate for your job/what you do, it doesn't make it weeb

GIMME PALADIN TIPS IM GOING IN FIRST TIME PLAYER

>teleport behind people
To be fair if your DM hands you something that gives you Misty Step or Steel Wind Strike, do this once. Just once and make it count!

smite
crit smite
thing dies

First, what Oath are you going?

Smite things a lot and make sure people are inside your auras.
Pretend saving throws don't exist once you get your aura that gives saving throws
Make sure you have some Charisma
Don't be lawful retarded and tell the party they're not allowed to kill people or tell people to fuck off

>new to this
>i want to play a silly snowflake annoying char

Just play normally

YES THIS IS GOOD
ANCIENTS
I WILL DO THESE THINGS BUT I DONT WANT PEOPLE TO BE KILLED IF THEY ARENT ALL THAT BAD

I WILL BE VARIANT HUMAN FOR MY GLORIOUS BARDICHE POLEARM MASTER FEAT

GIMME SOME GOOD SPELLS TO LOOK AT

>archer pulling back bowstring, with no arrow knocked
he deserved to die.

With a halberd, PAM and Sentry how do I become the wall?

dont let any mexicans get past you,

>no text or pictures on the phb

Fucking shite shoop job IMO

Divine Favor smacking things
Smite spells for why the fuck not
Shield of faith for tanking
Cure wounds so that your party can bitch at you for not healing

just push your party into crippling debt and then never show up