Cypher/Numenera

How does Veeky Forums feel about the Cypher system? I never see it discussed. I recently ran a quick one off in the Numenera setting and really liked the elegance of the core mechanics as well as the flexibility of the system as a whole

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=II8MpLIEh20
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I feel it does a poor job of representing my RAEP-MONKEY fetish, and doesn't adequately satisfy my autism on the subject.
Could also use more Vore mechanics.
Overall, I'd just suggest Pathfinder as the superior fetish d20 system. Starfinder if you really need that Laser Blast/Guro fetish that I know a lot of you are into.

I'd rather avoid the full autism power creep of Pathfinder.
From what I can tell it is less autistic than most d20 systems but has enough complexity to make it fun

Whatever. Any system that won't let me sexually ingest nor be sexually ingested by a Dragon isn't worth Shit.

Don't all systems allow that?

Only by RAW counts. None of this bullshit fiat.

its ok. Stops the stockpile of magic items that happens in other games, which I like

Yea, seems to make balancing easier. Weird that it's never discussed since it seems like a very good system but I suppose it's flexibility makes it less focused to discuss

OP, could you please stop asking for Veeky Forums to validate your opinions. You remake this thead every other day at least. Sack up. It's too small to have a general here and it's not one of the mainstream 2 (5e and 3.x) so almost no one has real experience.

If you want to talk about it, make a normal damn thread and share your experiences. Hide the posts from the people who haven't played it and enjoy what you enjoy. Accept criticism and think about how to improve it.

I'm a long-time Numenera GM, I love inverting the death spiral to make the PCs stronger as they are closer to death. There are many other good house rules to enjoy, talk about yours.

...this is literally the only time I've ever made this thread. Also GURPS has dedicated threads and isn't the main two.

Anyway, what kinds of house rules do you use to improve the system? I thought about allowing non-damage cyphers to not take a full action

No, they all lack the support from third-party supplements that explicitly details every mechanical aspect of every sexual fetish. Numenera more than most because all mechanics can be described as 1-10 × 3, which is so utterly bland and boring I usually think about the Cypher mechanics in order to stave off a climax as I'm masturbating during my Pathfinder sessions.

Lol. The difficulty system does take a bit of the detail out of things but I think that is balanced out by the resource management effort mechanics

Nice trick, thank you for the tip.

You're right about the GURPS thing because you don't know how to read.

There's also subtlety in changing DL for certain aspects of enemies. And for spending their hp as effort if you house rule it so.

I DON'T masturbate to those mechanics either. It's needlessly simple.

Yea, I wondered about using effort for enemies. Didn't even think about the hp. I guess enemy effort could easily be intrusions. Or just use an intrusion to make the creature beef up

I like the mechanics, using your health pool to fuel hard actions is cool to me, even if it is a little clunky. But the setting are awful I have to admit (even if I did like the videogame) and that combined with the clunkyness makes it a turn off to most.

I think the Numenera setting is pretty cool. A bit schizophrenic but it has plenty of possibilities.

In my one off a village elder had the party check on scouts who went to "The Ladder of the Gods" to see if it was safe for a pilgrimage. They had to travel half a day through a mountain region and fought bioengineered mimics and floating robots that carve out brains and use them as fertilizer. Once they got to the holy site they noticed it was an orbital space elevator. Inside the ground station a weird doglike beast was feeding off the energy of the geothermal generator. They killed it and plugged the power cable back in then figured out how to work the controls to start moving up to the orbital station.

The Numenera setting provides a fun sandbox for this type of fantasy/scifi mix

Yeah, but I just wish it felt more estabished. Maybe ver 2 will be better. My campaign was the conquests of the Israelites from the pov of everyone else. A horde of people invading that can't be defeated as long as they believe in their god. I was gonna reveal that all their success came from psychic assassins in the high priest's employ that fixed their odds, and that their 'god' was actually a physical centralized point of the the datasphere that the great old ones were using to destabilize the world for their take over. It fell apart before I could even introduce them though. :/

Numenera setting is shit, full of D&D-isms coated in a thin layer of sci-fi and plot holes the size of Grand canyon because "muh mysterious past".
The system has the appeal of very simple yet interesting character creation, but in actual play it doesn't go anywhere.
If this didn't have Monte's name on the cover, nobody would have given two shits at it.

Plot holes in a setting?
user, do you know what words mean?

>bwah-ah he was mean to my game

faggot.
The modules in the very first book have a premise that is bases on "nobody knows because MYSTERY" which make no sense.
Feel free to be anal about my word choice, but the game is still shit.

How does people not knowing a thing make something a plot hole?

I'm genuinely curious what mental defect makes you think this, since you are claiming to know what a plot hole is.

>no one knows how this ancient dungeon was built
>Plot holes!!
Man this whole thread is shit.

>Montefags in full damage control mode

>Poster count stays the same
>Bumps thread with desperate samefag
I'm sorry that I made u so mad.

I'm quite interested in Cypher, looks like something halfway between Fate and D&D, which might be a good middle ground for my players. Not too crunchy, not overly narrative.

I've read some comments here and there about the fights becoming boring, but that can happen with every system if the DM and the players are not into narrative ideas and interesting setups.

I skimmed Numenera when it came out. Anybody care to give me a rundown on what makes cyphers so interesting? They just seemed like limited use magic items.

>halfway between Fate and D&D
What? To me that sounds like "halfway between a bicycle and a jet plane." There isn't a lot of room on that spectrum for something to exist in and still be functional

There is really nothing narrative in Numenera. It's just what hardcore Monte fans thinks is a narrative game.

That's basically what they are, plus you can only carry a limited number for some reason

I think people get confused because its got attrition based mechanics and character features which have fluffy names, which does not a narrative game make.

They are. Cyphers are items, scrolls, gadgets which are not too hard to come by if you are the adventuring type, and players are encouraged to use them as often as possible, since they'll obtain an other one soon.

So bacically you can shower the players with one-use magic items to keep the game interesting and constantly flowing. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a nice touch IMO.

Artifacts are cyphers on steroids with multuple use or recharge.

Why is that so revolutionary?

So its just what a good GM does in any high-magic campaign, codified. Thats something I guess.

Personally I felt the rules were too loose in Numenera, which is both a blessing and a curse.
Never ran it though, I don't think the people I play with are interesting in the setting, as intriguing as it is.

I ain't really keen on the system. All the strange equipment you got was fun and all but the basic mechanics felt bland.
From what I remember anyway, it felt like you weren't getting stronger but rather you were always just gaining more "stamina" for your actions.

Then again, I may have colored opinion on this because the campaign I had was quite uninspired.
There were so many side quests that I actually had a mental breakdown in one session. Pic related.

Honestly the setting is what took me out of it. Its a game with no tone.

Yeah, the whole game is based on resource attrition, which means how easy or hard things are is entirely dependent on how many things you try to get done in a day.

Ultimately, the game is the worst kind of game possible: It's one that fails to achieve the goals it sets for itself.
It advertises itself as being a game that rewards discovery and exploration over combat. Guess what? It provides no interesting or solid mechanics to do that, and shoots itself in the foot besides that, so what you have is a system that is bland at combat, bland at everything else, and barely succeeds as a game.
The Cypher system is even worse. Numenera is at least a gimped system that has mechanics that sort of fit the setting. Cypher basically says "hey, my game is so utterly bland, I bet I could run other things and it would work just as well."
Well, guess what? Now you have a system that sorta runs other generic stuff, and then has this clunky Cypher mechanic that is supposed to support the theme of the game, and instead is completely distracting from it.
Overall, it's a game that lacks focus, and detail, and design integrity, and it's the reason why you have to have these "what does Veeky Forums think about Numenera?" Threads over an actual General. The system doesn't hold up under pressure, and thus can't maintain any sort of playerbase.

You're probably wrong. It's more likely due to the metacurrency that lets you effect the story.

>Discovering and exploring provides character advancement
>Fighting doesn't
Isn't that the definition of promoting them over combat?

>Design integrity is guaranteed replies
Also, GURPS here, what do you have against bland generic systems?

...cars, trains, helicopters, etc.

Work's kept me too busy to shitpost, but log in after nearly four months and find this thread still here. Same picture. Same basic bullshit premise.

Must you shill your bullshit here, Monty? It's bad enough that you inflicted Invisible Sun on us, do you have to keep reminding us that Numenera is a thing?

Yes but how does the game mechanics provide support for that method of character advancement? It doesn't. It's a pared down "I'm not D&D" system that's built around the same tenets of D&D, then they add this advancement mechanic over the front and acts like that fixes it.
Essentially you have a combat rpg that doesn't want to be a combat rpg.
As for generic systems, I've got nothing against them. It's bland Shit I have a problem with. I'm a Genesys-fag myself, and before that I was a Savage Worlds and BRP Shill, and I have a great amount of respect for GURPS, the specificity with which you can go to in the system is staggering. It's far too crunchy for me to ever find the time or players patient enough to actually run something with it, but I have a great respect for it nonetheless.
No, Cypher's problem is that it was made to run one kind of game, and does it in the most predictable, boring way possible, and doesn't even succeed at it. Running it is like trying to run a Modern Setting using 5e.

Paranoid much? This is the only Cypher thread I've ever made. Monte is prob a cuck since he wrote the whole handbook from a female perspective so don't compare me to him

Are you sure your brief skim of a summary of the mechanics on Veeky Forums was enough for you to speak about the system?

I'm not sure why you think this is a combat RPG, is it because it has rules for combat? Do you think Dread is a combat Rpg?

Of course. This just happens to be a thread using the same image, the same image name, the same title, the same "Oh, I never see this, what do we think? How do we feel?". Total coincidence. Nobody is going to buy this shit.

Go suck a cock.

Cont.
Apologies, I forgot to address that once again, you get exp from discovery and not from combat, which is the definition of the mechanics supporting it.

But you can always house rule differently, it's your game

>invisible sun
>google invisible sun
>find interview
>"Monte: Yeah. Right. And so you’ve got the Planescape cant and this sort of Victorian London but in the multiverse thing going on, and when Planescape really works, I think, is when it’s truest to that. Invisible Sun has something different. It’s sort of more… I don’t know quite how to describe, but there’s an elegance to it. There’s a sophisticated kind of… an intelligence that doesn’t talk down to players. Invisible Sun assumes that you’re smart, which I personally always love. I like it when creators, you know make something that assumes that I’m smart and they’re smart and"

What.

>"Invisible Sun is adult. It’s imaginative. It’s intricate. It’s a challenging game, not because it’s difficult to play (it isn’t) but because it’s deep. It’s not for everyone, but for those of you who want something deep, lush, and intelligent, it’s what you’ve always been waiting for."

WHAT.

Stuff numenera. Let's talk about this lunacy. Does anyone have a PDF?

Y so triggered by an innocuous question?

It's delayed, and if anyone were to link a pdf it would out them as a playtester.

Assuming your players are smart instead of the stupid, stupid reality is literally what Ivory Tower means. Here we go again.

Not even here we go again. Shame about the delay. This sounds like teenage angst, the game. I want a copy.

They're releasing a video session sometime really soon. So you can see what 5 spineless SJWs roleplay.

youtube.com/watch?v=II8MpLIEh20

Oh god why.

>it's DnD, but not!
Besides rolling a 20 sided die there is pretty much zero similarity

Yeah, for one, it strips out all of D&D's redeeming qualities.

And the bad ones too. Then added their own good and bad qualities

>Takes the bait
>Wrecks his trolling
Not how I saw that going.

I struggle with the numenera concept, it feels too... alien?
But I like the simplicity of Cypher - great for winging sessions . I am putting togther a Feng Shui game using cypher, since I don't like having to prepare stats for every thing in advance (I can only do so much game stuff when I am supposed to be working)