Rabbitfolk Thread

Because I'm curious; the ratfolk thread (whenever it pops up) proves that ratfolk can be made to fit Veeky Forums. But what about rabbitfolk? How can you work them into your setting?

Also, given the various bunny-monsters that've popped up in fantasy, where do you draw the limits? Jackalopes? Al'miraj? Skvaders (flying rabbitfolk)? Wolpertingers (flying carnivorous rabbitfolk)?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/tg/thread/37640707
warosu.org/tg/thread/S37669413
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_World_RPG#System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Actually... what stats would a rabbitfolk race in D&D have?

My kneejerk thoughts would be +2 Wis, +1 Dex, Small, 30ft speed, enhanced jumping ability, and Keen Hearing (Adv on hearing-based Perception), but not sure what else to give them.

I mean, my setting's rabbitfolk would probably get free Survival/Animal Handling proficiency and proficiency with firearms, but I'm talking generic here.

Al'miraj folk would take what I have above and add a horn gore attack and Misty Step 1/encounter.

So... nobody have anything? Even the ratfolk thread had anons bitching about the perceived furry infiltration of Veeky Forums...

Actually, honest question, how would you give a race - rabbitfolk or otherwise - an enhanced jumping ability as a racial feature? Always count as having a running start, or something more than that?

Well, if is an indication that you're using 5e, then you could just steal the jumping aspect of the Thief's Second-Story Work and put it as a racial feature-adding the dexterity modifier to determine jump distance.

Huh, I'd never noticed that feature. Thank you! Hmm... how does this look?

Rabbit's Leap: When making a Long Jump, you cover a number of feet equal to your Dexterity score from a standing start, and equal to your Dexterity score + your Dexterity Modifier from a running start. When making a High Jump, you cover 3 + Dexterity modifier feet from a standing start, and 3 + double your Dexterity modifier feet from a running start.

So, they don't halve their jump distance from a standing start, but use a different stat, and are naturally capable of very high jumps? Looks good, definitely seems to fit what you're going for.

That's what I was going for, yeah. I was worried the wording might be confusing.

If you're worried about that, you can always include a line like "instead of (regular rule), this race can (racial trait rule)." Helps avoid flipping back and forth between different rules in order to figure out what's different.

As for what else you give them, how about Halfling Nimbleness? Lets them move through the space of any creature bigger than themselves.

Sounds great, thanks. I'm honestly surprised to see just the one other user posting here, but thanks a lot all the same; you really helped out with the mechanics.

Happy to help. I don't see rabbit people in fantasy very often, so it's kind of interesting thinking about how'd they'd work, mechanically. And I looked up wolpertingers, which is a plus.

I mean, fun questions come down to, should Burrow just be considered a flavor; like dwarven tunnels, or should they have a represented burrow ability of a low quality; like, 5 foot burrow speed

I think it works better as flavor, personally. They can do alright for themselves with jumping and dashing around.

I have Rabbitfolk as one of a bunch of beast races in my setting.
There aren't many mammalian non-humans, and the ones there are are near universally bumfuck savages, at least in the part of the world that's important.

The Rabbits essentially fill the goblin-niche on the surface. They breed very quickly, and often supplement their foodstocks by raiding civilised farms and border settlements.
Occasionally there's a population boom, which is bad for everyone. Even more occasionally, a particularly cunning or charismatic prince will unite a bunch of warrens and march on the lowlands, which is bad for everyone who doesn't have floppy ears.
Warren Princes can be distinguished by their antler headdresses, mimicking a mythical prince who was born with antlers and who supposedly united all Rabbitkind.

They're stealthy and make pretty decent guerrilla fighters, which is supplemented by a tradition of illusion-based hedge magic. They're essentially a less unified Viet Cong with whiskers, complete with death-trap tunnels

It's a shame, too. There's interesting things you can do with them. Like the Shin'hare, who're basically a distinctive rabbitfolk take on Oriental Skaven.

Personally, I think a low Burrow ability is a good, strong but flavorful racial ability, depending on what else you've given the race.

Hmm... actually, should I post my thoughts on what the different rabbitfolk race possibilities might look like?

Go right ahead.

Well, for standard rabbitfolk, you can probably mess around with stats and features to suit your own taste, but in my setting, this feels appropriate:

Quietus Rabbitfolk - "Haffuns"
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 30 feet, Burrow 5 feet
Vision: Normal
Rabbit's Leap: When making a Long Jump, you cover a number of feet equal to your Dexterity score from a standing start, and equal to your Dexterity score + your Dexterity Modifier from a running start. When making a High Jump, you cover 3 + Dexterity modifier feet from a standing start, and 3 + double your Dexterity modifier feet from a running start.
Keen Hearing: You have Advantage on Perception checks based on hearing.
Nimble 'n' Quick: You can move through the space of any creature of a size larger than yours.
Haffun Weapon Training: You have Proficiency with Sidearms.

For a Jackalope-folk... not sure; I'd just go with a Rabbitfolk with the Lucky feat, personally. Or maybe borrow the Goring Horn feature from below?

For an Al'miraj-folk... take the above profile, minus the Haffun Weapon proficiency and Burrow speed, and give it the following traits:
Goring Horn: When you use the Dash action during your turn, you can use a bonus action to make a horn attack. This is an Unarmed Strike that inflicts 1d4 + Dexterity modifier Piercing damage.
Blink Bunny: You can cast Misty Step on yourself with this trait. Once you have used this trait, you must complete a short rest or a long rest before you can use it again.

For a Skvader, replace Burrow and HWP with:
Fluttering Wings: You take no damage from falls, so long as you are not paralyzed, stunned or incapacitated. At level 3, you gain a Fly speed of 15 feet. At level 7, your Fly speed increases to 30 feet.

Wolpertinger... not sure; I see them as a more vicious, predatory analogue to Skvaders, personally. You know, like how Al'miraj are supposed to eat bears?

Why Lucky in particular?

I... don't really have an explanation. The last time this thread existed, some user mentioned a jackalope god being worshipped by rabbitfolk as their God of Luck/Fortune.

Huh. That's kind of neat. Do the al'miraj and skvader have divine origins as well?

I actually don't have them in my setting. Jackalope-folk, yeah, as haffuns touched by the Father (their divine patriarch), but the others? I just statted them because I figured anons here might find some interesting ideas/potential in distinctively unusual branches of the rabbitfolk family tree.

I mean, heck, the Al'miraj has been in pretty much every single edition of D&D. Surely anons can figure out something to do with a race of humanoid, teleporting, carnivorous bunny-unicorns?

So, anybody think the Haffun looks too powerful? I took the term "Sidearms" from the "5e Modern" article on WoTC's website, but it basically means (referring to the DMG) "Pistol, Revolver, Shotgun and Hunting Rifle".

Not especially. Extremely slippery, but not stupidly broken in combat or out of it.

Slippery? What do you mean by that?

Just that they're very agile. Clever players will probably be able to make good use of that.

You know, personally, I really like the idea of a rabbitfolk "gun fu style" monk. Anything incompatible with that in my Haffun profile?

On the contrary, seems like it feeds into that very well.

What sort of death-traps do they favor? Anything especially nasty?

I guess I just need to figure out a Gun Fu Style subclass for Monks, then...

Honest question: do folks think it's weird to have rabbitfolk who are adept at gun-shooting, even if their culture is based on being cattle ranchers and frontier farmers?

Bumping this and seeing if it'll survive the night.

Reskin halflings and you're done.
The ones in my setting tend to be gardeners or couriers, it's not an uncommon sight for an adventurer to see a pair of long ears before they see the rabbit waving the letter around trying to get their attention.

Bumping for the night.

I fucking hate furries. Can't you jack off *before* you get on Veeky Forums ?

Mystara gave us Lizardfolk, Kobolds, Gnolls, Phanatons, Lupins, Rakasta, Hutaakans, Aranea, Tortles, Enduks and Manscorpions.

Forgotten Realms gave us Saurials and Lythari.

Spelljammer gave us Xixchil, Giff, Grommam, Dracons, Rastipedes and Hadozee.

Dragonlance gave us Minotaurs.

Dark Sun gave us Thri-kreen, Pterrans and Aarakocra.

Beastfolk races have been part of D&D since the beginning. We have more right to be here than you do.

>We have more right to be here than you do.
You know you're just going to encourage more shitposting with that comment, right?

Yeah, I know. But come on, beastfolk races are fucking ancient news in D&D. There's nothing inherently furry about them.

Anyway, let's talk about rabbitfolk. Surely, there's gotta be something we can discuss for them. Heck, there's always that random user with the midwest settler rabbitfolk setting.

I like the idea of rabbit folk being similar in size to goblins/kobolds. They're a pest of a race that consumes crops and multiplies like crazy.

If anyone here's first response to rabbit isn't to play them like Watership Down then yall have some reconsidering to do. The whole belief system and everything is laid out perfectly.

It's weird, but, honestly, even in a setting where they aren't evil, I kind of agree. I don't know why, but rabbitfolk being smaller than humans just seems to make sense.

Which is odd, because in Redwall they're one of the biggest races after the Badgers and foxes.

You could always have two races, Hares and Rabbits, with Hares being roughly the same size as Humans/Elves, and Rabbits being roughly the same size as Halflings.

Weird thing is, "harefolk" kind of make sense to me as what you get when a human and a rabbitfolk interbreed; it's the human blood that gives the hares that added stature and aggressiveness.

Bumping to see if this will still be around when I get back.

Didn't Veeky Forums make a setting where there was a plague that turned people into rabbitfolk?

Holy shit, I'm not the only person that remembers that. I have some of the art if you want it.

I loved those threads, they were adorable and comedic.

knowing Veeky Forums it was probably /d/ rated

I remember those. Fun and cute.

only if you have a hugging/tf fetish, since that's how it was transmitted. And everyone that got infected feel happier. Someone have the pic with the depressed bunny trying to be depressed?

I gotcha.

Or maybe this.

I forget the name, but there was a Hearthstone knockoff a while back that had BEST KOREA rabbitfolk with the usual backstabbery.
What made it interesting is they were allied with a bunch of creepy dead fucks someone accidentally dug up.
High birth/death rate + strong nationalism + Necromancer buddies = Endless, endless fodder for necromancer buddies to raise.
Rest of the setting was pretty shit.

As someone who loves the shit out of Watership Down, not everyone wants to play WHFRP: Woodlands Edition.
Would loot the hell out of the mythos for a game, though. Already loot "But first, they must catch you" at any opportunity.

Maybe have them be a variant of the ratfolk? much like how the kenku are birds of different species, even if rabbits are not rodents per say they would fit the bill for most of the racial perks the ratfolk have so i don't think this is something that would require much thought beyond that.

If they also used blood magic to the point of both having a caste of dark druidesses who used magic to produce unnaturally huge/quick litters and to the point of breeding babies by the dozens just to use them as blood sacrifice, then those would be the Shin'hare of Hex.

It's been a while, but yes, that's them. Only other thing that really stuck out was being angry at the orcs for some reason.

I also like that they didn't sacrifice making them hella adorable, even while also making them so grimdark Imperial Commissars would go "Damn, son, that's fucked up."

Agreed, that is one of the things I like about them. Would you consider the Shin'hare an adequate rebuttal to anyone who insists that rabbitfolk cannot fit a D&D setting, as they are "impossible to take seriously"?

So, what is wrong with gun-toting, Midwest Settler-themed, matriarchal, druidic rabbitfolk taking the place of halflings, anyway?

such a good mantra
"all the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies"

Those threads are still archived:

Part 1: warosu.org/tg/thread/37640707
Part 2: warosu.org/tg/thread/S37669413

Y'welcome.

Bumping this for to see if it survives.

yeah, but that plague doesn't work too well in an actual trpg setting. The pervasiveness of their curse borders on MGE, so it's mostly for comedy.

>only if you have a... TF fetish
High tier fetish desu

What do you think how being herbivores would have impact on their society? Perhaps they would have hostile relations with meat-eater pumped up by fear and religious aspect.

I could go for some religious Zealot rabbits

Here's the thing, herbivores can actually still digest meat - it's easier to break down than vegetation, ironically. They're just not equipped for predation. So, give a bunny the ability to use a bow and arrow, it's really not implausible that their diet would expand to include meat.

That would change the shape of their teeth over time.

Not so much; remember, they have tools and the ability to use them. Molars grind up meat - especially cooked meat - readily enough, and even more so if you cut it beforehand.

Am I the only one who thinks that Concubunnies have both a stupid name and a pretty neat theme?

You're definitely not alone on the name thing. Kind of funny that it requires you to exhaust another troop, though.

Well, yeah; it's a sex joke. With a race of bunnyfolk, that's low-hanging fruit.

Rabbits are cute.

They also eat their own poop.

Sure, but isn't constantly spawning little minion tokens a pretty key element for shin'hare decks? The fact that they took the obvious joke and turned it into an important racial mechanic is pretty hilarious, at least to me.

I want to put rabbitfolk in my setting, basically filling the same role as halflings. I'm afraid players would think they were Magical Realm though. They'd be right.

Just like many other animals. Pre-humans probably also ate own poop before they become sapient, so I am rather sure rabbitfolks don't eat their own poop.

Adding a race purely because they're far up your proverbial alley probably isn't a good idea, but if you put the effort into making them an interesting part of the setting (and avoid doing things to make your players rightfully suspicious), you can probably get away with that. I've heard people complain that gnomes and halflings are too similar before-mixing up the racial roster a bit might not hurt.

Listen to - heck, the DMG for 5e actually says you could easily portray halflings as plucky mousefolk without altering their stats in the slightest and that this would definitely add some uniqueness to your campaign.

Gnomes & Halflings get as much flak as they do because they both have rather weak fluff as "small humans" - gnomes at least have their magic, but halflings traditionally are pretty close to their hobbit roots. Replacing them with rabbitfolk at least puts a fresh coat of pain on the archetype.

Hell, I use rabbitfolk in my setting as halfling-analogues. Gun-toting, Midwestern-accented, druidic, neo-Frontiersmen halflings, but still, halflings.

I was just gonna take out halflings and gnomes and add a race that's similar but has cute rabbit ears and noses and is extremely fertile

That's not so bad. Barring highly specific circumstances, your players probably won't have any particularly egregious exposure to that element.

Agree with and, besides, halflings are actually supposed to tend towards pretty big families as it is, going back to their roots in hobbits.

>Gnomes and halflings too similar
1. Trade out the speak with animals SLA for something not stupid.
2. Make them two subraces of little cat people, ala Felynes.
You've got your brave, lucky ones and your spoopy magic ones. Heck, make them two 'phenotypes' of the same people to make it more interesting.
Back to rabbits, I wouldn't say a complete rebuttal, but only because what 'fits' is pretty much entirely a subjective bone to pick. They are definitely a credible threat, which helps.

Anthropomorphic races really should be used more often in general.
>Y-you just want to fuck them!!!
Welll yeah, but i want to fuck the elves dwarves and halflings too, you can't win against me so just give up.

Well, I jacked Pooka from Odin Sphere wholesale and gave them an ability to make morale-boosting meals. Once per long rest, as long as they have ingredients to make a meal, they can choose between one of the following: +2 to all saves for everyone who eats, +1 to attack and damage rolls for everyone who eats, or a bonus of an extra level's worth of temporary HP for everyone who eats. The meals last in effectiveness for 5 hours, and in the case of the temporary HP, it temporarily raises the Max HP instead of just tacking it on. So it CAN be restored by healing spells until the effect wears off, at which point their max HP goes back to normal.

not in DnD but in the Japanese tabletop game Sword world here is a Rabbit folk - like pc race called GrassRunner.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_World_RPG#System

I don't care about wanting to fuck them but I'm triggered by people who keep using "anthropomorphic" to mean "furry". Anthropomorphic means human-shaped, humans and all other typical fantasy races are anthropomorphic.

I have not seen anyone try and put a great deal into the different breeds. You could try something more than, just having the rabbits be similar.

You could have the average size rabbits with lops/dutch etc and most regular breeds. Then throw in some surprisingly large Bruisers and formidable rabbits from the larger Giant breeds. I would probably say making them more interesting and less cute. Rabbits while being prey animals and shy. At times will rip the living shit out of one another, or something that is encroaching on their territory. 2 rabbits really fighting will usually end up with one or both severely wounded.

Which means furries want to fuck them. Hence, furry.

Hmm... I wonder... given that rabbits have a certain association with stage magic, does rabbitfolk as the "small, playful, magic-loving race" that gnomes normally fill make sense to folks?

Or just the halfling-esque "bucolic and peaceful farmers"?

Just trying to bump this.

Well, it's hard to figure out the mundane breeds would really be different. At least with things like jackalope-folk or al'miraj-folk, you have the magical monster elements to blend in and make them stand out.

You'd be surprised.

So, serious question; what abilities could one give to jackalope, skvader or wolpertinger-based rabbitfolk?

Bumping this.

also intrested in more artwork or information