Hard at work

Whats the most work you've put into a setting, and was it worth it? I read the old testament for my campaign of future not!Israelites invading the land in the name of their new god. And it fell apart before they were introduced

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1rG0Fz_CLtXHqZ2tBPCKbI19H_W0gLLWi8fpSp6M00Ts/edit#heading=h.9z9so3jozxoz
docs.google.com/document/d/1rG0Fz_CLtXHqZ2tBPCKbI19H_W0gLLWi8fpSp6M00T
atmarpg.blogspot.com/2017/09/guia-do-cenario-atma-ser-atualizado.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I translated all the demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon into Delta Green for a modern fantasy witch hunters style game.
It was not worth it. Campaign died after 3 sessions.

It's pretty much never worth it. Unfortunately, I find the best way to run a campaign now is to just have a passive interest in it, play and watch games or films that are similar in theme/sense, lift a few bits from there for the first session or two until I can adequately gauge player interest. Then I let my autism loose with what I already have.

To be thread relevant:
I built a full city block in Tokyo for a Vampire game. It involved a clan of Korean vampires seeking reparations for the Korean War via business takeovers, assassinations and sabotage. It ended when my players blew up a skyscraper after about 6 sessions.

Tons, and no.

No details?

Have been working on the same sci-fi setting, on and off, for a decade. I dunno if I'd call it a 'lot of work' exactly, but it's been satisfying work. So, worth it.

What's it about?

Playing straight older tropes and being loosely noblebright, mostly. The main thrust of the theme/tone is contemporary species and civilizations coming to terms with existing in the shadow of their priors, who may or may not have been their creators, or at the very least guardians at some point.

Have a notepad document: docs.google.com/document/d/1rG0Fz_CLtXHqZ2tBPCKbI19H_W0gLLWi8fpSp6M00Ts/edit#heading=h.9z9so3jozxoz

Without the random heading selected, even. docs.google.com/document/d/1rG0Fz_CLtXHqZ2tBPCKbI19H_W0gLLWi8fpSp6M00T

Pretty good. Like stars without number and bright eclipse phase.

I am vaaaguely familiar with the actual setting for SWN. Eclipse Phase was a big inspiration for a lot of things, yes.

The role of the modern GM has changed. No longer do we waste time fleshing out vibrant worlds built upon centuries of lore. Instead we create 2D stencil worlds that we can make in a night. This way it allows us to be more flexible regarding player action. Players will only see the setting as a vehicle for adventure and nothing more. Sure, if players roll History checks you might need to dig up some lore for them, but there's always a very good chance they wont. Only other DM/GM's will appreciate the world you made. Consider yourself blessed if one is in the party for he will lead the party's exploration on your behalf.

So no, it's almost never worth it.

If you plug this in to SWN it will fit. It's setting neutral. In fact I'm stealing this.

I've been running a game in it using Eclipse Phase. And we've started working on a game for it ourselves as well.

If you want to run something in it, by all means. Pop into our discord from the doc and we can help you out with it even.

It would give me an excuse to run SWN I bought the revised edition book and it's just sitting on my coffee table.

Lucky me, my whole party (3 to 12 or more player in blue moon) is so lore friendly that we passed once 4h strait visiting a temple in the highest mountain of the world.
I never drank so much water in a game (still not as much as the New Eve play)

I made a whole set of WWI rules for D&D because one of the planes of the afterlife is eternal war at the technological level of WWI. It ended up being too frustrating to actually play so I just kind of threw it out.

Ah man. I thought about scraping together the cash for that, but I never even ran the old edition. I do use a lot of the generation tables and stuff though, so, sound investment?

Flattered in any case. Definitely not every day someone wants to use my stuff for a game.

I havent done a deep dive but revised seems to be worth the money I payed. And your setting will fit perfectly, maybe a scale down to a solar system or system cluster.

That's a solid idea. I intend to flesh out a given star cluster somewhere as the core book setting when i get that far. The thing as a whole is a little much to use all at a go.

I'm reading this and the gulcha look just like mi-go is that on purpose? Also neo-dolphins are cool. Would you like to see some tables of the revised edition?

Simulating St. Petersburg in Shadowrun, down to dozens and dozens of restaurants and bars and hostels and shopping centers overlaid in a map to the current city for street-by-street representation of the city brought into the cyberpunk future. Combined with new rules for an automated police force, various tweaks and fixes to the rules themselves, learning enough Russian slang to spruce up dialogue with locals, some work on rules for more detailed representation of Awakened blizzards and even just mundane snowstorms for combat visibility and movement through the city. A full-on analysis of the local Vor families as far as what various black trades who was involved in, a dozen or so small-time gangs that operated out of various parts of the city, the various international criminal elements. The interplay between the two major AAA corporations with strong Russian presences, invented Russian corps, and the weaker foreign players. Rules for going back to the old school division of Shaman and Mages, discarding UMT to make the two feel more unique as well as generally dampening the relative strength of the two compared to mundies. And even learning to cook a shitton of Russian food, because I've always been a fan of making food when I host games in order to offer up another layer of immersion.

But fuck me, modern Shadowrun is a miserable system. I still make blin a shitton, though?

I don't know if it is or not actually. The guy that made them is a big fan of more lovecraftian stuff, so maaaybe? And nah, appreciate the offer but I've already got more tables than I know what to do with.

Post what you found to the shadowrun general. Or here for more (you)'s

He's still on so I gave him an ask. His answer to that was a somewhat confused "no."

I don't really see a resemblance other than they're both gangly critters with wings

The Gulcha are meant to be more like some kinda not-avians with some cetacean thrown in

Why does he feel the need to LIE?!

Care to share your notes then? I'm sure its good salvage at the very least.

I suckered my years-long GM into meeting me at Waffle House at 8pm for a night that lasted until 6am and contained a receipt with 2 meals for the each of us an tons of coffee refills that resulted in a still-on-going campaign.
I'd say I did my due diligence.

Neo-dolphins are also one of the most fun groups to write for in the setting. Being so irreverent and silly and such. Plus, they give the Solarians another species to play off of, since aliens don't go to the human coreworlds that much.

Also, I like the novelty of "plucky neo-dolphin gravitics engineer from Alpha Centauri" being a completely viable character choice in-setting, lol

I'm sorta new so I've only ever used modules to run games except for my first live session (I usually game through Roll20). But I still used the Forgotten Realms so it's not like it was anything unique.

One of my players has his own game that just wrapped up session 2 with a custom setting / lore, and it was just a mess. He lost his campaign notes sometime before the game night and was just fumbling through it. Not saying that a custom setting is bad but you have to be on your game.

Besides, my players (well, half of em anyway) wouldn't appreciate me putting in the effort. I'd only want to write a custom world with radical events and real-time consequences if the party was willing to meet me halfway and write characters that are apart of the world, rather than disjointed stat sheets in a video game. If I can't even get them to commit to reading the player's handbook, what hope is there that they'll also take my story with any sort of seriousness?

So I've got to ask. Is there interest in running a game where players play themselves as their characters? It'd be a custom system, similar to a 3.5/pf, but more low fantasy.

More details?

Can you be my GM, user? This sounds incredible, any place you keep all this info?

Players play themselves. Low magic game, at least initially. Custom world, magic system, more emphasis is placed on the exploring and actually surviving the world. Things like food, crafting would actually matter. Wouldn't be overflowing in gold, so making some copper or silver would actually mean something.

Not the GM, but I've been working on the setting for seven years now. He uses it on a number of tables, including mine. His actual contribution towards the "official version" is like 20%. We incorporate the player and their characters as much as possible. I post this version in a blog in portuguese.

Worth it.

Give a gist? Cuz I dont speak Portuguese

Unique things about it:
>Sacrophysics justifies:
>Underdark-sized cave networks
>leyships.
>Anything with a single name can acquire a soul, from people to cities.

>dwarven geomancy allows for the cultivation of geodes into city-sized chambers
>international corpse smuggling fuels the war machine of the first lich and his crawling undersea necropolis, partially made of rotten flesh.
>imperial bureaucracy uses around 30.000 seers to find out the worth of your taxes a month from now
>a nation of megatherium herders based on gaucho romanticism
>universal Soldier-esque frankstein-like steampunk cyborgs opress the populace serving a titanic analogic computer
>sea and moon goddess is a giant mermaid whose fins generate the sea currents. She spawns spell pearls and her bellybutton is a maelstrom leading to inseide the moon. It is hollow.
>orcs are unplayable bone-scarred necrogenic apes
>the war god's avatar is made of 300 soldiers acting in perfect unity
>Slavery is legal
>spontaneous combustion is diagnosed as a disease
>two gods don't exist 364 days of the year
>Repetition muskets
>a prison made from chained ship hulks in the midst of a lake
>therapeutic curses
>giant snakes made of corindon
>sea centipedes with fins instead of legs
>sultans are djinns and the superior caste of their land
>mountain dwarfs build citadels of pykrete
>two unique races
>the above invented handheld rocket launcher baskets
>dwarven war shovels and steel bows
>samurai use firearms, just like they did in real life

I love this. Especially the psychic taxmen and war god. Post the whole thing so I can look at it poorly translated through Google.

Thank you for the kind words.

Here is the guide:
atmarpg.blogspot.com/2017/09/guia-do-cenario-atma-ser-atualizado.html
Despite being a blog, I make it work kinda like a wiki.

It was spread out over a combination of notebooks, print-outs, and a custom-made GoogleMap overlay. I've probably lost most of it, and the rest is scattered in various sources. It was mostly just frustrated. It wasn't the setting that burnt me out, but the asinine rules instead. I might go back and recompile that shit and just strip out the magic and retarded terminology that Shadowrun shoves into the setting, like "the Vory." Making up new AAA's shouldn't honestly be that hard, and then I can run a slightly more grounded game without the inherent pink mohawk that comes with Shadowrun.

I've been running a game for two contiguous years of 4 hour weekly sessions. ~400+ hours gametime, probably triple that in basic setting development and rewriting.

Thanks to my players involvement, it flourished from a pile of memes into a full world. I have a blog, organizing it all, forcing me to contribute weekly.

Grimwyrd
Kendelyzer.wordpress.com

Why do those 2 gods only exist for a day a year?