/edhg/ EDH/Commander General

Big and Blue Edition

Last time on /edhg/: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
Have you played commander versions of other casual formats (Planechase/Archenemy/2HG/Emperor/etc.)? How has it worked out for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manaboi-omnath/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-is-a-good-edh-deck/
youtube.com/watch?v=5clkFgVhmj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Have you played commander versions of other casual formats (Planechase/Archenemy/2HG/Emperor/etc.)? How has it worked out for you?
Planechase is just silly in EDH. Some of the planes just totally buttfuck entire games out of nowhere. Would not recommend but I would also highly recommend.

Planechase is fun.
2hg is meh.
Archenemy isn't really fun.
Emperor is trying too hard.

>How has it worked out for you?
i had fun with choas (theres an app on the android store) and planechase
archenemy and 2HG both pretty much require people to not try to go infinite
emperor sounds fucking cancerous

>Have you played commander versions of other casual formats (Planechase/Archenemy/2HG/Emperor/etc.)? How has it worked out for you?
I've played Planechase before, and Emperor and Secret Partners for 6 player games. From experience, Planechase usually ends up either doing absolutely nothing, or it entirely warps the game and gives 1 player a HUGE advantage. I can't say I'm a fan of Emperor, it usually ends up with a combo player stuck in the middle and makes for some really unfun games.
I like Secret Partners for 6 pods though, makes things more interesting and adds another political and bluffing element to the game. Our group has been trying out the rule of "if you kill your partner, you die" and that's been interesting because it's preventing people from just going ham and killing everyone and being like "oh lol you were my partner? Don't worry you still won!"

Tried to improve this. Do I have chances in a multiplayer game?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manaboi-omnath/

needs significantly less equipment and significantly more draw power
no point in being able to play multiple cards a turn if you only ever have one land in hand any given turn

Can straight boros aggro work in edh?
Alot of people say it's shite, but i've drafted a boros attacking deck that likes killing people (but also just kills you sometimes with kiki jiki/ splinter twin + zealous conscripts)
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-is-a-good-edh-deck/
here's a rough draft

>Another Omnath ramps mana deck

>Thread question
Yes at my lgs we played a 16 person game of planechase. It was fun but we ended up on the plane that doubles damage and the dude to the left of me dropped nekusar then passed. The next two dudes thought it would be a great idea to drop wheel of fortune and it put everyone at 12 life. The selvala girl ended up comboing off a next turn but I would do it again in a heartbeat

I did a Two-Head Commander set the other day. It was fun, despite the fact that we had the rules all wrong but that inadvertently allowed me to win Game 2, so whatevs.

>First time playing Planechase
>Told we auto roll at the beginning of our turn
>First Place is Academy at Tolaria West
>Nobody Planeswalks or has to discard their hand
>My turn to roll
>Roll a one
>Discard my hand
>Draw Warstorm Surge, 5R
>Pass
>Next player Planeswalks
>No lands for the next 7 turns

That was my first experience with Planechase. Much better times now that we actually understand the rules, but still, that shit was a terrible introduction.

Planechase is good shit. 2HG is overrated. Archenemy is played in all but name for most games I'm in.

>People in my playgroup all run chrome moxes, mox diamonds, and mana crypts
>Shit talk me for throwing Glissa Sunseeker in my Sisay deck
>Break all of their crypt and moxes in a single turn just to fuck with them

Nobody shit talks the best elf waifu and tutorable artifact hate.

Planechase is fun
Archenemy is 90 percent of my games without the extra deck
Never did two headed
Emperor is like playing 40k. You need to schedule 5 hours for it.

>be careful who you make fun of in middle school edition

I will never understand the appeal of this over Rhystic Study even in a competitive sense.

Mystic Remora is better than Nezahal though...

>1CMC
>3CMC

>cumulative upkeep

I suck at deckbuilding. I'm too pussy to have Omnath killed all the time, hence the many artifacts. Usually one or two work but I want them on turn 4-5 tops.

I've been playtesting and I can get consistent growth on turn 5-6 as is, but card draw may be better.

>He thinks you have to pay the upkeep for it to be good

Cumulative Upkeep + counter manipulation

>no one casts anything out of spite
>your clever plan is now foiled

>casts a creature

>Foiled
>I just Time Walked for U

>auto roll
>wonder why you have a bad experience
It can be fun, if you happen to make your choices. No one is forcing you to roll. It's not like there's a card that states "at the beginning of each player's precombat main phase, that player rolls the planar die"

>casts a creature
Nani?!

Remora is only good in hyper competitive playgroups. Anyone who says otherwise is a brainlet who wish they could play high level.

inb4 "n-n-nu-uh in my super casual battle cruiser meta it's an absolute game changer"

anyone know good cardstock for printing proxies? i want to use alternate art for a card that’s just real enough to put in a sleeve. before anyone bitches, i do own a legit card that i’ll show my group first.

>anyone know good cardstock for printing proxies?
Basic lands + acetone.

thats right nerd

Just print on real cards after you remove the surface.

>white

>non-whites

Remora
>Costs 1 to drop
>Requires a payment of 4 so if you expect noncreature spells you'll actually draw cards. Early game, this means leeching draws off everybody else's rocks/ramp fairly easily.
>Can be kept around for 1 cycle fairly painlessly or just allowed to die to have drawn cards on the cheap
>Since it could just go away, people can misplay around it by holding their shit back, letting you get an advantage on board, especially if you pay the 1 to dick them out of a second turn

Study
>Costs 3 to bring out
>Triggers on every spell, even creatures
>But the tax is only 1
>Be honest, most people pay the 1 unless they need that mana to win
>This does put you ahead on board...
>But you probably pissed away a meaningful turn or portion thereof to do it
>Since everyone knows it'll stick around until removed, someone will just put it out of its misery

Neither card is bad, you just need to ask yourself what you want, a 1-mana variable draw spell, or a 3-mana "Stone Rain everybody else" spell

>le 33.3% face

>Everytime you cast the top card of your library, draw a card
Hear me out.

However inb4
>Show everyone all the cards in your deck and when you have counterspells like an autist

This is for more storm like strats, like Mizzix

130+ IQ post.
Sub-80 IQ post. Apply yourself.

everyone already knows this card is fantastic

What are some anti-johnny cards? Only ones I can think of are Timetwister, Time Spiral, Ruric Thar, Chains, and Mana Drain.

I want to punish some 2-card combo Johnny shitters.

Everyone in my lgs thinks the card is a joke, even in Mizzix.

I'm just looking for confirmation from an image board.

Arcane denial
Eidolon of rhetoric
Torpor orb
Almost anything stax

Future Sight sticking on a board is one of the more powerful things in EDH that doesn't instantly devolve into a degenerate trashfire.

>Didn't realize until now that if you have an infinite draw engine you can kill everyone with Collective Brutality

How does this card only keep getting better? And here I thought all modern Standard cards sucked.

>I want to punish some 2-card combo Johnny shitters.
My good sir, have you heard the word of our lords and savior Sheoldred?

how do you think this works?

Is roon stax basically derevi with a different commander?

Escalate doesn't work how you think it does user.

>Snapcaster Mage was reprinted at Mythic
>Cavern of Souls was reprinted at Mythic

I can at least understand Snappy but fuck them for reprinting lands at Mythic.

I recall that when Mythics first came out, Wizards explicitly stated that they would not be printing lands at that rarity.

Welp, nevermind I guess.

>believing wizards lies
>ever
theyre a money making machine, its all they care about

>ooga booga gibs me dat 2% annual growth

>Planechase
Planechase commander is best commander. I actually run fractured powerstone in some decks just for hope of a group being down to play.
>Archenemy
Archenemy is tricky. Easily becomes unenjoyable.
>2HG
Best way to tackle 2HG is 3+way 2HG, which makes any table of 6 or more far quicker and more engaging.
>Emperor
Emperor is a mess because you're stuck assigning seating randomly and getting frustrated by people being in unfitting chairs, or assigning it purposefully, and it being a nearly solved game.

Reprinting any rare that existed post-Alara or whenever Mythics started as Mythics in supplementary sets like Masters is fucking retarded in general.

The whole point is to reduce the cost of shit like Azusa will when the new Masters set comes out. Not that Mythics can't drop the price Mana Drain is now like $55 but Snapcaster Mage being so heavily used and Cavern seeing play in non-rotating formats meant a reprint wasn't going to do shit. It naturally went down it's own for a while but now with Jace coming back you know blue will pick up and more people will want Snapcasters. The cunt better be in the new set too.

My bae, or it's little brother Jester's Cap

Also Horobi

>unfitting chairs

Unfortunately, Sadistic doesn't function as a tutor. Many a time, I have fetched board wipes or sneaky counterspells with Council.

Oh, oh my.

Well, I suggest Suture priest. You can also run Talent of the Telepath if you get really lucky. I like Kira Great Glass Spinner as part of the 99. Phyrexian Revoker/Nevermore put in work. Stax is kind of low-hanging fruit, but trinisphere in particular makes them cry.

>Unfortunately, Sadistic doesn't function as a tutor. Many a time, I have fetched board wipes or sneaky counterspells with Council.
I had to read that shit like 3 times to understand what you're talking about. Holy fuck, I can just fetch ANYTHING. If it let you cast your mana as any colour it would be stupidly broken.

>guy at my LGS pulled the Masterpiece version of this recently

I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's internally

>your playgroup unironicly fetchlands
heh nothing personal kid

Like I said, we didn’t know the correct rules. But we’ve played with the right rules several times since then, and have had a great time.

Superb taste. One of my personal favorite cards. It's not that good, until you completely shit on that guy playing Zur and he doesn't know why.

Also, it's pretty much designed to stop maelstrom.

>not using fetchlands if you have them and they're not in decks

Letting cards rot in binders is for retards and brainlets who want to keep EDH "fun" because they think mana fixing goes against the "spirit of the format"

Think of Council like a tutor, combo disruption AND sneakthievery all in one!

Protip: If you see a Flayer Husk in the deck and it looks like it has no reason to be there, it's probably the key combo piece.

Alright, you've gotta explain this one senpai.

Flayer Husk produces a creature and an artifact at 1CMC. It is very easily tutorable and slapped directly onto the battlefield with shit like Tezerret, so it's often a key instant win combo piece for a lot of artifact strategies. Blasting Station & Salvaging Station is the most common combo it's used with.

Planeschase is just absurdity, which can be fine if people understand that's what they're getting into

Tried adding Magic Cataan to commander games, not the same level of fuckery as Planeschase but a nice mana-sink that encourages some more interaction. Cute, but not worth purchasing for.

Look at the artwork you dingus.

Man, I had a really fucked up bad decklist that was based on things with a Sadistic Sacrament effect that I made when Lantern was getting popular. Too bad I lost that when my hard drive died.

It had that in there, too. What fun.

Oh oops, confused my Modern general tab. Sad that they don't talk about great jank like Psychic Surgery.

The fact that you can't run Invoke Prejudice in Oros has always bothered me.

Remora is 90% of times a "draw 1 or more cards for U". People with a three digit IQ aren't going to lose a turn just to spite you, even more considering that its cumulative upkeep it's very affordable for the first or second turn, so often it stay around for two or three turns. And in a 4 player game it's usually 3 or more cards for U. Its value is absurd.

2-card combo is Spike, not Johnny

>Mana Drain

Speaking of Mana Drain I will never understand why brainlets always want it banned and why the gigabrains behind French commander banned it in their "format".

It's a great card and I'd argue the absolute best counter spell in EDH because it's a great way to punish people late game and only a mongoloid would use it early game to get a few extra mana. Also it's banned in Legacy because allowing it to be a four of would be insane so in a singleton format it's fine. I think idiots see something banned in Legacy and think it should be auto-banned in EDH without thinking about the fact that it's a singleton format.

In GB, say I can only use 1, should I use Explosive vegetation or Cultivate?

You Mana drain early and blow people out with blightsteel user. Either way, most people don't understand magic, let alone the banlist.

As someone who runs it, it's fine. Strong, but you're only really using it in a monoblue deck, and there are remarkably fee degenerate things you can do with it. Lab man and foodchain are ban worthy, Mana drain is just a one of.

Whoops, didn't mean to quote.

Because it's a ridiculous tempo swing in 1v1.

Alright /edhg/, you have two slots open for blue CA effects. Remora and Study are already in -- what do you pick?

>all these looking through opponents library cards
I fucking love em
It'd kill my Johnny/Spike friend.

Is there a name for my friend whomjust plays everything for laughs? I guess he's a Timmy but it's more chaos without the commitment to an actual chaos deck.
He loves stuff like Death by Dragons and Fractured Identity.

Cultivate. Costing 1 mana less it's more important than putting both lands in play.

Cultivate, it's cheaper

Top card, shit art.

Not really. Spike only cares about winning, it doesn't matter if it is through 2-card combo, or a single 1/1 goblin.

m8 if you tried casting something big when a blue player has 2-3 mana open and cards in hand it's your own fault. You deserve to get dumped on.

Alright then, how about this for a Boros legend ability:

"At the beginning of each opponent’s upkeep, if that player controls more lands than you, you may tap target land that player controls. It doesn’t untap during its controller’s next untap step.
Sacrifice a land: Add RW to your mana pool."

I just want a Boros legend that isn't combat-based or Brion Stoutarm.

There's Johnnys and than there's Scumbag Johnnys and Scumbag Johnny doesn't care if his combo isn't infinity billion pieces a combo is a combo.

>finally got an LED for Bomberman combo
>consistently dump all over everyone around T3-T4

In EDH, the by far easiest way to win is through a 2-card combo that goes infinite or leads to an instant win such as with labman.

Johnnies prefer unconventional, creative and challenging ways to win. They don't just want to combo for combo's sake.

Geez guys, haven't either of you read the psychographic profile article?

>singleton format
>2cmc counterspell
isochron scepter

>consistently dump all over everyone around T3-T4
Cool but when do you want to start playing edh?

If your favorite commander deck had a theme song what would it be?

Marchesafag here

youtube.com/watch?v=5clkFgVhmj4

Playing again next week, friend

post more memes like this, I laffed

How much hate does Ashnod's Altar draw?
Do i want to run a Buried Ruin to protect it?
I have other sac outlets, but Ashnod's is obviously lucrative.

What's the most fun card in your deck?