/mtg/ modern general

>/mtg/ modern general

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is unbanned.
Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned.
Effective Date: February 19, 2018

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/february-12-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-02-12?/

How do you feel about the unbannings? How will they impact the format? Which decks will most benefit from them? Will they spawn new decks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_jBLyIQvNf0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ub-phylactery-artifacts/
youtube.com/watch?v=gnYhG_ekoH8
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-16-gruul-land-destruction/?cb=1518473763
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How do you feel about the unbannings?
Salty af. I want pic related back!

>thread theme music
youtube.com/watch?v=_jBLyIQvNf0

also

>playing
>hating
>brewing

Cause user was too lazy to put them up

Never again

Fuck off
>>playing
>>hating
>>brewing
>impliying someone cares

So what non-jund budget/semi budget deck can I make with the blood braid elves I have?

>best planeswalker ever printed is fine
>janky ramp spell is not
This format is terrible

Bloodbraid elf cascading into value?

sounds like someones jimmies are rustled

>They unironically think that SFM is more unhealthy for the format than JTMS

How's Grishoalbrand looking these days?

tell me how a 4 mana brainstorm is an automatically i win button for all blue dekcs, and how there are no answers for it

Just top 8'd GP Toronto, if nothing else it's definitely playable.

How's Temur looking these days?

>Kommands her and the butterskull
heh,,,2 for oned kidoo......

Neat. Too bad it's Legacy levels of expensive.

Have fun getting fate sealed

>A card needs to be an unanswerable "I Win" button to be unhealthy
You're a fucking retard
Jace pushes a TON of varied wincons out of the format entirely, pushes every single control deck and half the midrange decks towards being the same homogeneous sludge.

>getting fate sealed
>in burn-storm
lol faggot, nice try

>A good card would push mediocre/bad cards that only see play because you couldn't use good cards before
Go back to standard

The thing is that JtMS has a set power level that doesn't change regardless of what they printz. With SFM whenever they print another super powerful equipment card it could fuck up Modern because of the interaction with SFM. It limits design in a small way so they keep it locked up just in case and so they don't have think twice or a hundred times every time they design a new strong equipment.

>bought a playset of BBE after EMA for $3
>now ~$35 a playset

is this how CFB feels

It's not like they'll ever print something better than Jitte even if SFM remains banned.

I see average price for a single copy at 12 dollars. A playset is worth way more than 35.

>With SFM whenever they print another super powerful equipment card it could fuck up Modern because of the interaction with SFM. It limits design in a small way so they keep it locked up just in case and so they don't have think twice or a hundred times every time they design a new strong equipment.
While this is technically true, it's very very unlikely they ever print something on the level of Batterskull or Jitte ever again. Equipment are even being phased out now in exchange for vehicles.

That card will never be unbanned because T1 wins

>BBE cascading into Ancestral Vision
It's looking alright.

So is Wizards just doing this to push Masters 25 packs? Modern was in the best state it's been in years, I can't see any other reason for something this monumentally stupid.

Playsets on ebay for under 40, sold listings closer to 35, so I was going off of that.

>Jace pushes a TON of varied wincons out of the format entirely
The only wincon he's pushing out of the format is Celestial Colonnade.

They did list M25 as a reason, but Jace really doesn't seem format warping to me.
No blue deck other the UW Control variants are going to use him

i imagine all the nonexistent games that you already played testing JTMS against the rest of the field took you to the conclusion of it being over-pushed. tell me more faggot

I wanna play them together. What deck do you guys recommend?

>Jace is just a 4 mana brainstorm

(you)

some shitty casual superfriends deck

Splinter twin

>will it impact the format
Yes.
>who benefits
Control players jeskai especially
It won’t ruin the format but it makes control much more threatening

Progenitus Superfriends EDH

>he can't say how jace is super overthe top cons because he is just pushing a meme opinion

I'm not saying jace is over the top, I'm just saying he is more than a 4 mana brainstorm.

Maybe go Temur for Oath of Nissa?

If you want just red blue, counter burn tempo.

Serious question, does ChandraToD see play in Modern?

>janky
Nigger that shit is straight up broken, fuck you.

What's the T1 win? I know it gets easy T2 after a turn 1 Amulet.

As much as ppl dont want to hear it... this is right on point.

If I’m correct, Skred Red runs it.

JTMS doesn't do shit to me, I play Tron. Just seems like a dumb decision to fuck with the format by unbanning a card that has traditionally warped entire formats around it, especially when Modern is the best it's been in years.

Sometimes in Jund SB, used to be 4 of staple in Sun and Moon and skred but those decks suck

I don't think there is a turn 1 win with it, the earliest I've ever gotten or seen with it has been turn 2.

I see her in MonoRed prison and Skred

Noone would risk the health of a format just to sell a few overpriced boxes, r..right?

you can quit playing modern whenever you want faggot, wizards won't cry if you leave

One of the most annoying things are the people replying to this point with "Well OF COURSE they did it to make money, they're a business!" like that somehow suddenly makes it a good decision for us, the players

what the fuck is going on in those people's heads?

Yeah, sure, calm down mark.

>what the fuck is going on in those people's heads?
they understand that getting mad at a children game is for autist, and that the point of any company is generating money

To somewhat defend WotC M25 was gonna sell out anyway and it's a limited run set. So this won't actually "boost sales."

However to turn around and give WotC a well-deserved kick in the balls, what it will do is make stores hike up the price of M25 packs and possibly make it harder to actually draft the fucking thing.

It doesn’t completely fuck over players. It’s a way to get more people to buy the set as well as make it so modern babies have to actually think instead of mindlessly windmill slamming their creatures and walkers with no thought of interaction. Jace will make people remember how to play magic properly.

i can't wait to brainstorm and put the cards i want to company on top.

>What's the T1 win?
Exile simian spirit guide -> Amulet of vigor -> play bounce land -> summer bloom -> play bounce land 3 times -> hive mind -> summoner's pact
Yes it's fucking retarded but it does work

>if you complain about anything you're an autist!

Also I don't see any kids playing this game, senpai. Just overweight men in their 30s.

Oh shit, forgot you can bounce a bounce land off of itself and was thinking of something where you needed more lands in hand. Was also looking for some sort of Prime Time win since I forgot Hive Mind was part of the deck.

If you're a consumer and defend any decision of a company that negatively affects you then you are literally a cuck. You are literally, by definition, arguing against your own interest while gaining nothing.

>Just overweight manchild
heh i just asume autism is a defining aspect of the average mtg player
>that negatively affects you
Prove ho it negatively affects me

>Modern is the best it's been in years
it isnt the most diverse nor does it generate interactive games so i disagree

Need advice for making this OP

So far I dont get consistent swamp draw to play Phylactery lich.

>Modern is the best it's been in years
20 different ships passing each other in the night.

I mean, Jace doesn't limit future design space as much as SFM does. SMF means they have to be really careful with printing equipment in the future, where Jace only really does what his card says he does.

I think unbanning Jace is a mistake either way since modern is in a good place. But who knows, maybe he isnt as bad as people think he could be.

Add in some discard since that's what Black does best. Remove a lot of evasion. Add dual lands/fetches, and bias more towards black since you need only one blue source. Add removal.

Thing is, wizards doesn't really print good equipment anymore. When was the last time they printed a good equipment?

>SMF means they have to be really careful with printing equipment in the future
I promise you, SFM does not need to be legal in Modern for them to print nothing but shit equipment.

Captain's hook was absolutely crazy in limited.

I meant to put in a bit about how they could just ban Batterskull since they dont print good Equips anymore. But Who knows, maybe standards power level goes back up in a few years. Either way the fact is that it does limit design where jace doesn't, even if R&D already chooses to limit itself.

Even /v/ was talking about this (thread deleted).
They seem to be talking about the same things except with more Legacy discussion.

>In limited

>in limited
Wow, who gives a shit?

Allow me to strap on my Nostradamus cap and predict somthing
BBE will stay unbanned and enjoy a spot in jund decks and will also have a deck built around her like her cousin shardless agent in legacy

JTMS, on the other hand will teeter on the precipice of banned-unbanned status, but will be the one thing vital to control decks that have blue in them until they get to strong and JTMS gets to sit on the banlist again

at least he gets to talk with his old friend Stoneforge mystic

>t. the ultimate cuck

Living Weapon has already broken SFM as badly as it's ever going to be broken, user. The reason SFM got stupid in Standard/Extended was because it got Batterskull.

Any other equipment that would "break" SFM in a format would have to be strong enough to break the format in and of itself.

I just can't help but feel like JTMS won't have that big of an effect on the meta. I'm not looking forward to seeing him everywhere though with people trying their best to abuse him but can't.

Most equipment aren't "good" when held up the standard of Swords and Batterskull or god forbid Skullclamp.

Heck Bonesplitter is an almost objectively good equipment aping one of the best cheap Auras ever printed and it still doesn't impress next to those broken pieces of shit.

same
there have been plenty of unbanned cards that people have sworn will break modern but havent
I don't see a 4 mana card with no immediate payoff except a bounce or a brainstorm breaking anything

>sword of body and mind is an objectively good card
>totally shit when compared to batterskull and the rest of the swords

desu the only playable modern equipments are the 0 ccms ones.
yes, i do think cheerios is a viable deck, only kill t1 enabler in this shitty format

This. Equipments are unplayable unless their o good they have to be played. Take the mirrodin swords for example which are good but not broken and sees zero play in modern.sfm would actually make equipment playable.

>phylactery Lich
>dies to path and dismember
>Doesn't even have evasion
>fucking BBB

>mean, Jace doesn't limit future design space as much as SFM does.

JTMS is automatically better than any other jace ever printed or that they will ever print, nobody will ever run any other jace but him, in the decks he fits in.

>JTMS
>Instantly get reminded of this cringefest
youtube.com/watch?v=gnYhG_ekoH8
MtG Pros, ladies and gents

>Just reading now
Haha. WHAT!?

I never thought I would see the day Jace was unbanned. Especially before Stoneforge.

Bloodbraid, yeah, that was a matter of time.

Exactly why it should be unbanned.

viridian longbow + deathtouch creatures could be a thing in the format desu
i've made a deck around this last year and got 2x 5-0 at MTGO, and puntolive even highlighted it on his vids and got a sweet 4-1 with my baby
// FORMAT : Modern
3 Swamp
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Narnam Renegade
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Marsh Flats
3 Liliana of the Veil
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Hissing Quagmire
3 Grim Flayer
4 Gnarlwood Dryad
1 Glissa, the Traitor
4 Gifted Aetherborn
2 Forest
4 Fatal Push
1 Collective Brutality
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Viridian Longbow
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Woodland Cemetery
2 Thoughtseize
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 1 Lost Legacy
SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 1 Golgari Charm
SB: 1 Garruk Relentless
SB: 1 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 1 Duress
SB: 1 Abrupt Decay
SB: 1 Thoughtseize

Isnt that just a 1 for 1 since sfm replaces herself?

Well, not zero play. They're just too slow and janky to do the job reliably. Even in ye olden days when Bant midrange was a top deck pilots gave up on swords because they just weren't as good on a Geist as a 2cmc enchantment.

>youtube.com/watch?v=gnYhG_ekoH8
Jesus.

Also wasted two turns doing nothing, so at least it's a nice tempo play.

this video is why i play elves

Real talk, where the fuck is my white four ability planeswalker?

you cascade into stone rain.deck
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-16-gruul-land-destruction/?cb=1518473763

Better?

I have no clue how to build solid decks and when to stop changing things.

With a second Amulet you can surely get a T1 with Titan, too. Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion and Slayers' Stronghold make for exactly 20.

UR Foretold Turns already uses Chandra as the wincon, so just throw in Jace for consistency?

Could be cool for when Elspeth returns.