Why doesn't Veeky Forums make very much OC anymore?

Why doesn't Veeky Forums make very much OC anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hkzUDT9r8g4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's a monstergirl OC homebrew thread running since last week

unironicly because all the questfags are gone
also Veeky Forums never really made that much OC to begin with, it's just more noticeable now
youtube.com/watch?v=hkzUDT9r8g4

generals choking out 70% board space means less room for other threads where OC would organically form

The generals are also the only place where you can find actually intelligent conversation, it's a mixed bag already

Folks corraled themselves into the game devs general for their homebrew stuff.

Too many newfags and people make homebrews only in their generals.

Because spastic tourists almost always start to REEEEE about their specific boogieman whenever someone makes OC.
I don't know why the fuck it is, or why people so blatantly not from here think they can dictate terms, but that seems to be how it is.

No.
No.

The reality is that we lack the people with the dedication to really push projects forward. I was in charge of a small group on here known as the FVGT, and several projects under that. As soon as I started focusing on college for a bit, the threads died without me prodding people along.
The same went with the Love and Krieg 2 thread. Batavi-user got busy, and the motivation for Writefags slowly ceased.
If you want to make Veeky Forums produce OC again, you've got to be that guy that pours all his passion into a project, and takes some pride in his work, because no one else will. Show Veeky Forums that you can have that sort of mentality around here, and NOT be cynical, jeering, or nihilistic all the time, and eventually others will follow suit.

Did it ever? Of course there are the big notable projects that the board has done, but was there ever a time when something like that had been consistently happening, as opposed to random spurts of creativity focused on one individual project?
People still do homebrew in a games general, there's still activity in the game design thread, there are still occasional projects such as the recent amazon and monster girl threads. Honestly I think that's simply a bad question.

Because the people in the board grew up and realized how cringey and poorly written it was

CALIFORNIA

The way it always went was:
>What system could you use for X
Or
>Let's make a X setting one post at a time
Or
>Let's create a WH40k faction
Followed by one or two threads before the two or three people who actually cared about it took it off-site to finish working on it.

Also, Veeky Forums has always been great at lore and terrible at mechanics.

no, they're more like circle-jerks where the same thing gets posted every thread, forever

>Veeky Forums
>good at lore

Because 4chin got flooded with newfags and it completely changed its dynamics.
Fuck the fappening, fuck gamergate, fuck elections. Maybe even fuck chanology. We had our own, comfy part of the Internet, but you just had to ruin it.

>tehehe comfay :3 XD

>Maybe even fuck chanology.
definitely fuck chanology

Shitposting takes less effort and provides much more (You)s.

it never did, there's just a large enough backlog of memorable OC that you can pretend like we didn't make ten thousand elf slave wat do threads in the past.

This is another problem, posters like these are a sign of a more pessimistic Veeky Forums. Say what you want about the board, the only thing you can definitively say is that it's gotten far more pessimistic over the years, along with the rest of the internet, which means you really have to stick to your guns and push forward no matter the criticisms. 9/10 times passion can turn an "ok" idea farther than a half-assed "great" idea ever could.

What do you intend to do about this?

Start making some shit, faggot. Inspire and/or disgust people. Keep going, even after you gain some fame/infamy. Make or hijack threads, expanding your ideas. Interested folks will join in; dullards will shitpost a few times and leave. Yours is the pen that will pierce the heavens!
If you do this, congratulations: Veeky Forums has at least one more neat OC.
Hell, look at that hammerspace dragon vorefag. I still think he's doing it ironically, or at least that everyone who talks about it is, but I can't deny the dude's written probably at least 50k words on the idea.

This too. People are afraid of being insulted for their interests. Fuck 'em, what's the point of an anonymous forum if you're watching your words all the time? To paraphrase a well-known likely Time Lord, take chances, make mistakes, and get interested!

>it never did, there's just a large enough backlog of memorable OC that you can pretend like we didn't make ten thousand elf slave wat do threads in the past.

I can probably point to at least a dozen finished and polished RPGs created on Veeky Forums between 2008-2013. How many finished and polished RPGs can you name that were created on Veeky Forums between 2013-2018?

>unironicly because all the questfags are gone
You're probably right.

Don’t keep us waiting then, user. Post them. Oh, and make sure you don’t forget the “polished” part.

NAYRT, but you reek of newfag.

Probably does, its just spread over different generals and mostly isn't relevant to your interests. Unless for some reason you crawl through all the generals for games you don't play just to collect novelties. In which case go outside ffs.

A lot of the projects started less about directly stating "lets work on/do X" than "hey Veeky Forums here is a bit of an offbeat idea I had, what do you think?" and it sparks enough interest to start the ball rolling a full out project. You're right about the actual details being hammered out off site. Imageboards are not the best place to organize that kind of thing, which is fine.

I think the current problem is less about people not having interesting ideas, or an inherent change in the people using Veeky Forums, but in how people use Veeky Forums now. The catalog brought with it some good stuff, but browsing in catalog view really changes how people interact with the site, and it especially hurts creative threads who's activity is usually under the surface. Browsing in classic view lets you see the some of the most recent posts, which can be radically different than what the OP is, or more exciting or whatever. It lets people drive by respond to a recent post without even opening the thread, which can hurt, but also allows some great creative input from people who wouldn't have normally even opened the thread.

I think Veeky Forums's creativity as a whole has been hurt as the place slowly transitioned closer a normal forum in use. Generals and the catalog are just a symptom of people not "getting" imageboards and how they're used, resulting in a diminished experience for those who do or at least remember how things were.

I bet I know how this is going to go

Engine Heart
>cringe

DtD
>reddit

Joints & Jivers
>SJW shit

Busty Barbarian Bimbos
>numale SJW shit

VeloCity
>see above

Net Gain
>never heard of it, probably shit

and on and on and on

A combination of factors.
Quest fags leaving took a lot of the more creative types with them.
Nu-Veeky Forums fags are too pampered and bitchy to cooperate long enough to do oc.
As shit as things always have been we're at eachothers throats more than ever it seems, and that also kills cooperation.

What are you talking about? I see tons of ideas of new rules, races, settings, and houserules in various threads. Why do people pretend that Veeky Forums doesn't make OC and whim about muh quests instead of actually looking for it.

The generals are what make OC about specific games and settings, you absolute fucking retard.

I think you nostalgia fags are the real issue; I've not seen this massive decrease or decline in quality despite being here for many years. Why aren't you looking for and making OC instead of just bitching and make a meta shitposting thread? Fuck you.

The issue seems to be that you got "too many chefs in the kitchen" situation going on to get anything concrete going. Like, is talking about the Monstergirl thread, which has made some advancements (there one system built from the ground up and two hacks, Warhammer and Dungeon World that are being made) but majority of that thread is people bitching because it's not Monster Girl Encyclopedia or their favorite aspect isn't being represented enough. On top of the trolls, waifu fawners, magical realmers, and WH40k guys who want to make it RIP AND TEAR Edition all clogging up the thread. And that isn't a Veeky Forums or even Veeky Forums issue. I've tried to make a game before on other sites, RPGnet and Penny Arcade, and it's the same thing. Basically, it comes down to this: It's easier and less drama to just make something yourself or if you use a Team, you make sure that someone is leading said team and making the final calls. Otherwise you might get lucky and get concepts that you could use in a game, but you aren't going to get anything constructive out of it.

So you are saying you had your own safe space?

this. we was hard af niggas STRAIGHT. nobody ruined shit

Veeky Forums sucks because of a driving away of content creators by overstrict moderation, followed up by a massive change in board culture caused by a massive influx of newfags and normalfags aping their idea of /v/ /b/ and /pol/ which resulted in a very self serious toxic environment that finds shitting on other people's fun more entertaining than actually having fun themselves, because having fun is "cringe" or "beta" or "soy" or whatever the new buzzword is
None of the Old Veeky Forums memes or creations could happen now. If Engine Heart tried to get created today the thread would get one post about white genocide then fall off the board. Angry Marines would get called reddit and ignored, Wal-Mart Apocalypse would turn into international shitflinging, etc. It wouldn't be so bad if anything had arisen to replace them and fill the void but it really hasn't because a lot of newfags are trying too hard to look cool and get imaginary internet ideology points and being enthusiastic about anything is gauche now

>people believe this

>It wouldn't be so bad if anything had arisen to replace them and fill the void but it really hasn't because a lot of newfags are trying too hard to look cool and get imaginary internet ideology points and being enthusiastic about anything is gauche now
Pretty much. Cringe culture killed it all by making a bunch of deeply insecure people terrified that someone, somewhere might be laughing at them for having fun the wrong way, and then it all devolved into hipster posturing and smug irony

Both of these....

This is what its like with most shit. There is a vague idea that a lot of people are interested in but everyone has their own specific ideas that they are extremely attached to.

>It wouldn't be so bad if anything had arisen to replace them and fill the void but it really hasn't because a lot of newfags are trying too hard to look cool and get imaginary internet ideology points and being enthusiastic about anything is gauche now
I get this feeling a lot these days when I see a pointless shitpost that isn't humorous or even particularly well-timed. It really does feel like a large percentage of the userbase is shitposting like they expect anyone to be tallying up their score.