New Campaign Ideas

>Haven't played DnD in 3 months
>Everyone is eager to play
>Players are unimaginative and give little to no feedback when I ask for ideas of what kind of game they want to play
>I can't come up with a single interesting campaign idea myself
>Online generators aren't helping
>Not much free time to spend reading through various modules/adventures until I find one I like
>Been staring at a blank piece of paper for 2 hours now

Help fix my autism/writer's block

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>3 Months

Motherfucker.
Everyone I know has different work schedules, kids, and lifestyles.
I haven't played any tabletop in

10 FUCKING YEARS

>I can't come up with a single interesting campaign idea myself
The party is a warband of vikings, seeking riches and fame in the foreign land.

My condolences

I can come up with broad, macro-level ideas like this, but can't come up with any playable ideas

Fantasy-version of any zombie movie you want?
Including Dead Snow.

>but can't come up with any playable ideas
Dungeons and Dragons is a game about dungeons. Think of a place your players can dungeoncrawl in, fill it with enemies and create a plot around it, not the other way around. After you create a couple of dungeons, interconnect them with each other in some way. Or don't.

The usual suspects are crypts, temples, caves, pockets of Feywild or Shadowlands, keeps and castles, apocalyptic visions, deepwoods, sewers and the like.

What are you doing here?

Just play a prewritten module, most games have decent ones for GMs in a situation just like yours

youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs

Look up One Page Dungeons and build from there.

These guys are both offering solid advice. I used the One Page Adventure model to start with my friends, then did what suggests and strung it into another with a couple of threads.

If you're doing 3.5, the old outdated WOTC site will still have the free docs for some level one adventures- the one I'm remembering has a Wizard's tower and a Calzone Golem and the doc for White Plum Mountain, which I think is Level 5ish.

Remember that most monster manuals have stats for Dinosaurs. Have at from there...

I've compiled and thought of a lot of simple quest hooks. Here is the pastebin /JBKfP6H0

The current one I'm running is, a neighboring kingdom has found a technological prodigy and had begun to produce armies of clockwork and warforged units.Other armies are holding against them but are growing weak as their manpower shrinks every day

Why is "warforged" such a cool word

OP here, I'll have to check that one out. Some ideas I've been throwing around involve a society where clockpunk automatons are common.

Problem is every time I look for One Page Dungeons, I end up spending way too much time pilfering through to find one I actually like or that matches the setting I'm trying to run.

Think an only fighter meathead party in fantasy garage band metalocylips, amassing their fame and money, generally being BRUTAL, lots of booze and drugs, and Bill & Ted tier interactions against the forces of EVIL

go find the 3.5e book Elder Evils. It basically tells you how make an overarching campaign plot complete with several big bads and their minions. It's surprisingly well made.

how do I get to this pastebin? I can't find it

You are unfit to be the DM.

Help me get Veeky Forums to DM senpai

Just add '.com' after 'pastebin' then delete the space before the slash.

I have the exact opposite problem, I can always come up with cool setting ideas but I can't wrap my head around a system and get really bad anxiety whenever I even think bout running a game.

B-but he's the best they got!

thank you

You simply can't. I'm serious, if you can't come up with a dungeon you're fucked. We're not talking about how to make a story about a clerk in inner city interesting and exciting.

Who are the PCs?

I'm good at coming up with mechanics and system ideas.
We should team up to become an unstoppable force.

I'll help you out if I can, do you know what your players are intersested in? what kind of setting they've enjoyed before? what play style they prefer? stuff like that should be taken into account when coming up with a setting

So far the ideas we have are:
>Central Asia/China-inspired
>Blackpowder guns
>Magitek/Clockpunk constructs are common
>Spirits roam the world, drawn from various planes of existence
>Lesser, unnamed spirits are common
>Greater, named spirits are rare but extremely powerful
>Magic is actually harnessing the power of these spirits or summoning them
>PCs vs Mythic Wilderness, living on the frontier

Your players were hired a mercenaries to try and help the king of a neighboring empire win a civil war. Their army was smashed and they were forced to flee through hostile territory.

In order to evade pursuers, they sought shelter in an abandoned stronghold. The name of this city was Mespila, and it was once inhabited by the Medes. The foundation of its wall was made of polished stone full of shells, and was fifty feet in breadth and fifty in height. Upon this foundation was built a wall of brick, fifty feet in breadth and a hundred in height; and the circuit of the wall was twenty one miles.

They find it easy to enter the silent city, abandoned in the wastes. They find it very hard to leave.

Make up a reason why, and boom, there's your campaign.

I like the idea of spirits roaming the world, maybe make the focus on a huge forest covered part of the land that seems to be the source, they are coming from a gate/portal in the bottom of a desecrated temple set up by a lich or something

of course to defeat a Lich you have to destroy/disable their phylactery, this would be in another dimension accessible via the gate/portal

Just run a premade

>Westworld
>Instead of wild west, it's fantasy quest
>Set in a dungeon
>PCs remember every (10th) death [only the ones the players played]

I'm running one like that right now, and it's GLORIOUS

>Monsters are the clients

>that picture

the whole point of bows is to not have to get your hands dirty

Elves are drama queens in every setting. She might've smeared her hands with his blood to make for a more tragic scene

>alternatively
Elves care little for humans in every setting, as well as being drama queens.
She may have hunted the human down just to have this trajic picture painted, but she forgot that particular detail and is being teased relentlessly for it

Elves might be drama queens, but there's no elves in that picture.

It's concept art from a game called Banner Saga. The only races of importance are humans, rock monsters, and horned giants.

Huh...

The high cheekbones, bow, and woodland environment had me going for a while.

How about:
>Tried to remove the arrow from his eye (it was an accident), but just made it worse
>He managed to sneak up on her so she stabbed him with an arrow (blood splatter on her face supports this theory)

iirc he turned against their group and tried to take her captive, she was forced into archery at exceedingly close range

They're all big game wranglers for a magic shop. While out killing/capturing monsters they come across an ancient ruins with a prophecy, a prophecy describing the daddy of all monsters and it just so happens in 3 years it's due to wake up.

Don't play D&D, NO WAIT COME BACK!! Just listen okay?

If you're at a total block about what to do, run something new and a bit easy. A radical departure from the norm is great for your creativity. If your players have no strong feelings then you can run that more niche system you always wondered about, Dogs in the Vineyard, The One Ring, Modempunk or Machine Hearts, Traveller or Time Wizards.

Just taking a hour or two to leaf though through sorts of books might give you a great idea, don't see it as a dilemma see it as an opportunity.