/swg/ Gladiator Edition

Older retrofit: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB
Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
Other FFG Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Destiny and the LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
FFG Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the FFG RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ (embed)
Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.nz/#F!kJtCTR7Q!HNUwVc1B8KB2FrD4Twmb7g
The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png (embed)
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing
Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG (embed)
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Armada wave VII release article:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/1/launch-the-fleet/

Legion organized play:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/7/the-battles-to-come/

Force and Destiny Warrior Sourcebook announced:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/12/knights-of-fate/

What's your favorite ship in the 300-600 meters range?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hbbhrETs-5k&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What's your favorite ship in the 300-600 meters range?

Can't go wrong with the ol' Nebulon-B.

Vindicator!

Imperial II ISD.

It fills the entire 300m-600m range.

What are the rarest Armada cards to come by? I'm a few months into playing and just want to stock up so I don't have to worry about it in the future. I play both sides.

Also, do you guys think there will ever be a third faction, like the Zahn Consortium, in Armada?

I love the Gladiator looks wise, but the Vindicator/ Enforcer Picket just does everything it does but better.

(I am wondering how Thrawn's Revenge 2.2 is going to differentiate the two models, the Enforcer's supposed to have been an "Accidental upgrade" the Pentastar engineers discovered when converting damaged interdictors back into Vindicators, but in TR2.15 they're not really any better and since they carry no fighters vs the Vindicator's two squadrons they end up being inferior overall.

Dreadnaught

Interdictor, it's a potent tool for any policing force

We're onto your German 'its totally a battlecruiser bro' trickery!

The Enforcer is basically a budget cruiser in some aspects, they threw out all the shit which costs a lot of money, takes up space and then just jazzed up the engines, made it pretty shooty and figured it'll do.
Course the downside of that is its not as flexible, but if you need a fast, heavily armed cruiser in your fleet it's a good pick.

Price difference. IIRC, the Enforcer was a few hundred credits cheaper than the Vindicator. Although the pop points made the Enforcer pointless compared to a fleet of IVPs.

I will always have a love affair for the KotOR Hammerhead cruisers.

Tartan Patrol Cruiser. Although redundant compared to the Lancer and Carrack, it cleared out all the Consortium bombers

Incidentally, I finally got around to getting a good copy of Rogue 1, and I realized that the Hammerhead which rammed the ISD never detached. It rode the ISD all the way through the shield station and (presumably) crashed into the planet along with the Imperial ship. You can see it stuck in the ISD's flank as the ship rams the shield station.

The Thranta-class from SWTOR are also pretty nice.

And also one of the very few things in SWTOR that took inspiration from KotOR.

The escape pods do launch though, so most of the crew is fine

Or as fine as they could be if the rebel fleet managed to scoop them up. Otherwise it was straight to the prisons on the death star.

The MC40 deserves more love.

It was a pretty desperate (if bold) move.

>bold

Is it me or is r/Star Wars hostile and discriminatory against anyone that doesn't embrace Canon and or likes Legends?

the star wars reddit is an absolute mess

Any attempt to discern a concensus there is a useless gesture at best

In other words
>reddit

Man you asked this elsewhere and got the answer. Reddit is an echo chamber. How is this shit hard to grasp?

Is it me or is /swg/ hostile and discriminatory against anyone that doesn't embrace Legends and or likes Canon?

I dunno, I'd also call

>Any attempt to discern a concensus there is a useless gesture at best

Also a good example of just 'Star Wars Fandom'

Is there a decent sub for SW talks that accepts TLJ sucks (other than ones about fixing star wars)?

It's more split than you think. A poll was run a week or so back, and 50% of the thread liked TLJ. You'd just never know it because the people who didn't like are convinced it raped their sister, mother, and childhood all at once and like to inform others of this CONSTANTLY.

youtube.com/watch?v=hbbhrETs-5k&feature=youtu.be

I just realized that the fucking Raddous in TLJ is just a smaller Viscount. Goddamn the one good capital ship design in TLJ is Legends

extremely

much less so, though the TLJ/New Canon Fans from /co/ are the second worst group in /swg/ first being Impfags who aren't aware of the New Order's issues like Papa Pellaeon

Anyone know what this super star destroyer in the middle of this image is?

Is it an Assertor or Megador-Dominion type?

I think this is also a matter of two different artists having the same base idea: scale up the mon cal ship design

I like the raddus more because of the pointy nose, like early mon cal concept art

I see Pelleaon mentioned a lot, and I'm still a total greenhorn when it comes to the EU.
Tell me, /swg/, why is Pelleaon so based?

Yeah, this. I thought TLJ was pretty good.

But every time somebody asks "what did everyone think of TLJ?", and I mention that fact, I get at least 3 replies telling me I'm wrong. And that's now, imagine how it was when it came out.

Assertor I think

Bellator is best boy

You're right.

He's Corellian, which basically makes any character somewhat based by default.

BIG JOBS?

He was the only honorable grand moff.

meant for

Am I the only one who thinks that all the ships larger than a standard ISD are overkill?

In the old EU he was one of the few high ranking imperial officers to have a good head on his shoulders in the madness of a post endor galaxy. He played the solid and dependable Watson to Thrawn's calculating Holmes.

He was also the only one with the right mindset to properly end the war and broker peace when he realized the gig was up.

He also had a pretty sweet mustache. Always a fast track to fanboy adoration.

Oh very much so, but gotta stat out all the weird funky shapes from the background of Dark empire my boy.

Are any Assertors ever seen in the books or lore?

And was the Yevethan captured "Aramadia" an Assertor?

I remember that one being an odd super star destroyer as I think all the other ships in Black Sword Command were slaved to it.

He doesn't screw around with backstabbing and power politics like a lot of other high-ranking Imperials. He's a Lawful Neutral type who genuinely believes the Empire is capable of doing good for the galaxy, but is willing to discard with some of its eviler/stupider aspects in order to make that happen.

Considering the enemy is basically a bunch of yahoos running around in stolen frigates, converted passenger liners, corvettes and GR-75s.
Yeah, its a massive waste of resources.

isn't kidding about the moustache. Look at it, that is some fine facial hair right there. Take a moment to truly appreciate it.

If you ask me, the Tarkin Doctrine is a big part of why the Empire lost the war. Instead of putting their resources into useful stuff like Interdictors, TIE Defenders, and Missile Boats, they wasted everything on pointless superweapons and oversized mega-battleships that were completely unsuited to the kind of war they were fighting.

They're a command ship, but don't think they directly slave systems into it. They where basically made-up and stuck in the Essential guides back in about 2011-12 or thereabouts and technically I don't ever recall them being considered canon, just cool random shit made up for the heck of it.

Well it depends.

I think they are meant to be both functional and intimidating.

Ideally in the hands of a compotent commander, an Executor can be a dangerous threat.

Just one can apparently destroy a planet's civilization and I think at one point, Vader was poised to wipe out the entire Rebel fleet with his Executor till it was disabled by an Imperial commander's ill-fated micro jump, which crashed three star destroyers into the Executor's shields, causing disruptions.

An ISD was already an overdesigned mess of a spaceship so anything bigger is dumb as hell

It's a shame Griff's strategic thinking wasn't as good as his fashion sense.

ISD-Is are acceptable. ISD-IIs getting their point defenses stripped down after Yavin is just stupid.

Didn't the Ravager in Aftermath suffer defeat at the hands of what amounts to a jurry rigged, built out of junk battleship that was much smaller?

I guess in sort of a way, Tarkin was a product of the Clone wars and the CIS did seriously slap the shit out of the Republic with its mainline warships when it'd turn up to gun fights with a carrier or whatever they could cobble together in a hurry. So while the CIS was gone and done, the learning process of that might have simply carried over to their doctrine over the years, regardless of having no real obvious threat- you plan for the what-ifs in a contemporary sense. In this case, the post clone wars, then build up a fleet which is capable of defending itself against such a threat again.
In hindsight, yeah- its fucking dumb, but I'm willing to concede a little to the military thinkering that happens after a severe beating.

Big Wunderwaffenfings are useless though, but Palps likes them and its a little hard to say 'no' to Palps or you'll end up getting wrecked.

Reddit being cancer is business as usual.

After the rest of the rebel fleet focussed fire and blew up the engines

Then it was dragged down, and started a chain of ships throwing eachother around

That's because TLJ is shit from a writing perspective. I would think that someone from Veeky Forums can see the plethora of plot holes and tonal inconsistencies that plague the film.

People can like things and understand there are problems.

>Am I the only one who thinks that all the ships larger than a standard ISD are overkill?

Not at all. I think it happened because people focused on the "Destroyer" part of "Imperial Star Destroyer" in such a way that they felt it was a ship classification. If this was a "destroyer", then there must be "cruiser" and "battlecruisers" and "battleships"...and since all of those are bigger than "destroyers", obviously they must be fuckoff-huge ships.

Instead, they should have focused on the PHRASE "Star Destroyer". As in, "thing so badass it could probably destroy a star." No, not literally destroy a star. It's a phrase meant make the ship class sound badass. The way that sci-fi franchises have done forever? The same way as a "Battlestar" is not actually a sun that beats people up.

Incidentally, the SSD had a similar problem. People focused on Ackbar saying "Super Star Destroyer" and thought - for some incredibly autistic reason - that "Super" was describing a classification. So they got named "Super-class Star Destroyer" by the otherwise well-meaning idiots at WEG, and that trickled into canon. Instead, Ackbar is saying it's a "SSUPER Star Destroyer" - as in, "it's more impressive than a normal ISD", in much the same way Wile E. Coyote describes himself as a, "SUPER Genius."

IMO, SSDs are as large as SW ships should be, period, and anything near that size should be vanishingly rare. The Star Wars universe loses nothing by making the ISD essentially the "biggest ship out there you're ever likely to see", and that gives a nice size spread between CR90s and ISDs. It also makes a nice cap to keep people (mostly authors) from making ever-bigger ships designed to compensate for personal inadequacies

>People can like things and understand there are problems.

Not if they're shit from a writing perspective. If they're written badly and you like them, then your opinion is wrong.

It's an assertor, yeah.
I like fractal's designs, but MAN do I hate the associated saxtonian powerlevel/scale wank

>your opinion is wrong.

every

fucking

time

Stop being wrong and you won't have to get butthurt when people call you on your wrongness.

>anytime somebody says they like [thing that I dislike], I must post that their opinion is wrong

ITT: quality discourse

Anons, anyone got good warehouse/factory maps I can procure? The kind of place you would see at the end of an 80's action flick where the bad dude would have a final confrontation

Hey

hey shipfag

shipfag

hey

gigatons

>ITT: quality discourse

It's /swg/, not a hugbox.

In fairness, and are pretty quality posts. You could respond to one of them if you wanted discourse. But you don't come here for that. You come here to be mad about shitposts.

Tell me about your Wave 7 fleets, /swg/.

>gigatons
I DON'T NEED NO GUN!

AND I'll KILL YOU NOW!

>Or as fine as they could be if the rebel fleet managed to scoop them up. Otherwise it was straight to the prisons on the death star.
Or onto the planet. In which case those pods better not be charlies. Because that was one hell of a wave.

(And according to the marvel comic the damage is a lot more severe than the tidal wave of rubble would indicate. There's a big fucking hole all the way through and a quarter-planet wide.)

I want to catch up because I was told two-tubes was pretty cool (and to see the "badass wedge" moment that people hyped to me), but man the new artist they have on the main line is bad

Get out of here stalker
I agree with everything you are saying; I figure that there should be maybe 50 SSD-sized ships *in the whole galaxy*,

Does anyone have an official layout for the inside of a YV-560? Our party uses one in EoTE, but I'm wondering if there is any real consensus on how it looks internally.

Also; whats a good first upgrade for a ship like the 560 or an EotE ship in general?
>Recently in shoot out with a couple cloakshape fighters that ambushed us on a delivery.
>Take some moderate damage due to some crazy good shots from their blasters.
>Overcharging the shields for protection and trying to stay on target.
>Last ship explodes but the debris disables our turret temporarily.

So right now, our ship is sitting at the dock and we haven't had any time to repair it. So I thought it would be a good time to pitch making some mods to the captain as we're out adventuring.

In every franchise that has a large amount of supplementary content, there's always a fairly large faction that has a colossal obsession with what is or is not canon, regardless of how much better or worse either is. It's extremely strange, because they only accept what is officially labelled as canon, and not only deny, but shame, anything that is not, with what I can only describe as religious zeal. I don't really understand it.

And this is coming from someone who was a gigantic canonfag for Star Wars five or so years ago. I don't know why I did it, but over the past few years, I realized how nonsensical it was to care about what is or is not canon in any franchise/setting. Picking and choosing what I like is much more fun, even if some fuck-ass mad faggots disagree with me.

>Does anyone have an official layout for the inside of a YV-560?

I don't know if it's official, but this is not a terrible one.

It should probably use a little more cubage for non-habitable space, but as SW ships go, it's not too bad about it.

Guys, I think I accidentally made my Age of Rebellion character into Carrie Fisher. Have I done something wrong here?

>Incidentally, the SSD had a similar problem. People focused on Ackbar saying "Super Star Destroyer" and thought - for some incredibly autistic reason - that "Super" was describing a classification. So they got named "Super-class Star Destroyer" by the otherwise well-meaning idiots at WEG, and that trickled into canon. Instead, Ackbar is saying it's a "SSUPER Star Destroyer" - as in, "it's more impressive than a normal ISD", in much the same way Wile E. Coyote describes himself as a, "SUPER Genius."
And then pretty much just to piss people off by shitting on the hard-fought battle to have the line called the Executor Class they LITERALLY NAME THE SUPREMACY A MEGA-CLASS STAR DESTROYER.

What spec and species?

You gotta give the details to a bold claim like that

Thanks, that doesn't seem too bad. I'll print it out and run it by the GM and rest of the crew as a general idea of where everything may be.

>I don't really understand it.

Coming from BattleTech - a setting with a similar scope of supplementary material to Star Wars - I've considered the same thing.

Autism aside, a reason that canon is important to so many people is that it's the shared language fans have to communicate with each other. Many people all seeing the same events happen is a major part of the entirely concept of "belonging to a group". Everybody who's part of the group "Army" has gone through Basic Training, so they're part of the group. Everybody who's part of the group "hockey fan" has seen hockey games and has some understanding of the rules, so they're part of the same group. And SW fans have canon.

So a couple of things result from this. The first is that somebody who doesn't share what you've seen as canon *isn't part of your group*. That is, they didn't experience the same Star Wars that you did, so on a sheer emotional level, they aren't part of your group. The second is that it's really, really important to determine exactly what canon actually IS, because that's the language you use to determine who's a part of the group in the first place. As an example, if you hear somebody say, "yeah, I love Star Wars! It was awesome in Revenge of the Jedda when Palpatine dropped the German terrorist off Nakatomi Plaza and saved Christmas!", you can probably be kinda sure they aren't actually a fan of Star Wars. You're using canon to determine their status as part of your fandom.

So somebody who is mucking up canon and what is or isn't canon is actually hitting people on a gut level, cause it's messing with their ability to determine group membership. IMO this is a big part about why people get extremely pissy about canon arguments; it's kind of a gut-level defense of thier social group. Which isn't an *excuse* for being asshats, mind. It's just a possible reason.

>there's a side conversation equating semi-canon material to "fake news", for which I don't have post space.

I always assumed that they have some features like better communications or houses something useful which smaller ships can't have. Fleets might be traveling through deep space so I presumed that they have something. Either that or it's just the Empire wanting to have the bigger dick.

Corellian Human Ace/Hotshot. I just wanted to play a funny, crass older female character with substance abuse problems who was also really sweet on the inside, but someone pointed it out last session and I can't stop feeling these feels, please help me.

Nobody ever says explicitly what the Megador and Dominion are. They could be Executors, they could be Assertors, they could be Mandator-IIIs or the could be as small as a Bellator.

Are Executors and Star Dreadnoughts larger than Battleships from 40k?

And could an Executor handle a Space Hulk on it's own?

So it's basically a nerdier form of tribalism?

Interesting. It actually makes sense. It's essentially the same as Veeky Forums's "muh secret club" mentality.

>Are Executors and Star Dreadnoughts larger than Battleships from 40k?
They're about the same length, though 40k ships are quite a bit taller.
>And could an Executor handle a Space Hulk on it's own?
Yes, depending on whether the officer was smart enough to pack a couple bomber wings.

SW Imperials might generally be better trained than your average 40k Imperial Navy Corpman, who could very well be just some galley slave hoisting shells into a mega bolter with a rope. The Emperors Navy leaves much to be desired quite frankly.

There are quite a few fluctuations in sizes in 40k, but for the most part, most Imperium battleships are going to be larger than an ISD, especially in tonnage, but smaller than the Executor.
So, could the Executor take on a Space Hulk on its own?
Destroy it? Sure. The Executor would have enough firepower and fighter wings to shatter its loosely-packed form.
Board it and take it from within? Maybe.
Space hulks are enigmatic things that come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. From the size of battleships(because they are literally the hulls of ancient battleships that have been drifting in the Warp for ages) or the size of a moon because they've become an amalgamation of dozens if not hundreds of ships all smashing into each other in the warp.
Then getting infested with all sorts of nasty things like Tyranids, Orcs and Daemons.
And the standard Galactic Empire soldier is roughly on par with a typical Imperial Guardsman from 40k.

Most are around the same as an Apocalypse-class, somewhere in the 7000-12,000m size, few of the really 'full retard' ones go up to 17km like Eclipses.
They're basically window dressing and background in most games I've run as we don't have the 5hrs to spare for me to figure out how and where its batteries are firing. A few have a superlaser in them, which will fuck all kinds of shit up, but that was back in ye olde days of canon being re-conned and even back then it was too much for anyone to bother with.

>It should probably use a little more cubage for non-habitable space, but as SW ships go, it's not too bad about it.

How would you change the deck layout?

That "language" comment made me draw the comparison of people who get really up in arms over words not being used properly - like people using "literally" to mean "figuratively".
They go overboard with it, but they're doing so because they want language and communication to be maintained in it's set of rules and definitions so it doesn't lose meaning and we can all be on the same page when we talk. Canon's sort of similar in a way - it's the framing device in which all these conversations happen, so some people are really particular about where to draw the lines in the same way some people are really particular about only using words in the way they're defined in the dictionary.
Is that an acceptable analogy for my autistic ass to understand, or does it fall apart somewhere?

It's okay, user. We all miss her.

The one actor of the original bunch to die is the one in canon to still be alive. Didn't see that coming.

>Canon's sort of similar in a way - it's the framing device in which all these conversations happen

YES. That's exactly the way I was trying to say it, but I'm watching Olympic hockey and couldn't get the brain to say what I wanted.

It's actually very much the same as the people who say that conversations about RPG rules should only ever include RAW, because there's no way for anyone but your own group to account for RAI or houserules. Likewise, there's no way to account for where somebody else is coming from in a conversation if you can't even agree on the broad strokes of the events of the storyline (such as, to risk derailing the thread, framing the entire OT trilogy with the Empire as the "good guys"). And while there *is* something to limit the conversation to RAW only and keeping intent and nuance out of it...it also leads toward completely retarded conversations and absurd conclusions. As a rule-centric example, I'll point you toward D&D and the Giant in the Playground forums and rest my case there.

1) Delete both of the #2 cargo bays; that space is used for engines, life support, and the landing gear.

2) Delete 75% of the cockpit corridor and make that space a room of some sort, ideally moving the scanner stations from #18 to that new space (and using the #18 space for gross motor systems for the top-mounted gun and gimbal system; everyone underestimates the space required for gross motor systems). Corridors are INHERENTLY wasted space and should always be deleted when possible - we see lots of corridors on sci-fi TV shows because corridor sections are cheap and easily movable. Go look at an IRL ship and see how little space is actually used on corridors; corridors are deleted or minimized whenever possible.

I still miss her. She was a sweet heart.

It's funny in a sad way. Maybe they'll bring Hammil back and make him a force ghost that hangs around through out the whole movie.

>Maybe they'll bring Hammil back and make him a force ghost that hangs around through out the whole movie.

The bright side is that we know Force Ghosts can interact with the physical universe now (technically we knew when Ben's ghost sat on the log, but that's been claimed as a mistake and so TLJ reinforced the point that it's possible).

Which means I can still have hope of seeing Ghost Luke Force-bitchslap both Rey and Kylo.

Admonition with The Twins (Caitken and Shollan) on board is goddamn terrifying.

That would explain why the Monstergirl thread never manages to stay on track for very long, they're trying to depart from a canon without actually having anything concrete except a weird zeitgeist of popular ideas.

>Corridors are wasted space, sci-fi has them because they're cheap sets
But... Star Wars comes from that same vein, we see the Millenium Falcon having corridors, we see Star Destroyers having corridors. The Death Star as well but that's not exactly a ship.
If it's seen on-screen, shouldn't you be able to bend the rules a little to have things reflect that? Or is it just that there is too damn MUCH corridor on deckplans?

It also means we might get a Jedi Ghost army, which would straddle the line perfectly between "dumb" and "so dumb it's awesome" for me. Jumps the shark entirely and it'll be filed under the same branch of canon as Trioculus for me, but goddamn will that be a spectacle.

If they bring back Luke as a force ghost I'm going to be extra pissed at TLJ for killing him. Like... why did you even do it in the first place if he's going to come back and do stuff he could have done whilst alive?

>why did you even do it in the first place if he's going to come back and do stuff he could have done whilst alive?
Probably because they didn't plan for him to be around for part three, but now that may be needed

and also so you could bookend his journey with twin suns in the way it began. You know, poery.

I'd take it as an admission that killing him was a mistake, but an army of all the prequel jedi, Luke an Anakin side by side... I want it...