Spesific East Asia Class

The most common ones are Samurai/Bushi (equivalent of Fighter), Ninja (equivalent of Thief/Rogue), Omnyōji (equivalent of Mage), and Monk (equivalent of Cleric/Priest).

Is there any other type of class other than above? Especially the combination class?

dog cook

You could make a musket weilding class.
I'm not enough of a weeb to know how to call them, but it could be a thing.
IRL Samurai, Ninja and peasant footsoldiers would use muskets, so they were not a class in on themsleves.
Maybe some Ainu based class as equivalent to Druids.

Kek

Isn't that Ashigaru?

Sohei. Probably best treated as a paladin equivalent.

Strategist.

Geisha/"artist".

And these are the most common where?

Monk, Samurai and Ninja yes, but after that something like Wu Jen or another type of mage inspired by the I-Ching and its elements is far more common than some relatively generic Omnyoji thing. Since this is East Asia and not just Japan, you also get Polynesian style classes like tribal Maori Warrior types, aswell as the ever popular Guan Yu/Zhang Fei knockoff polearm wielding big boys. Mongol Warriders/Skirmishers also appear, and some form of Taoist Philosopher is sure to pop up aswell.

Ashigaru are merely trained footmen. They're not of the samurai class. They're plebs. As such honorless weaponry like firearms were given to them, as Samurai tradition didn't include or train in the use of firearms or accept them as honorable means of combat.

Ashigaru come in all forms from Bow to Spear to Rifle.

>as Samurai tradition didn't include or train in the use of firearms or accept them as honorable means of combat.

I want this garbage meme to die already.

Everything you said is wrong except the very last sentence.

The samurai were a professional warrior class, and by the time of the Sengoku Jidai, the ruling clans were locked in a brutal whirlwind of strife & betrayal. Disregarding an extremely useful weapon like the musket just because of DISHONORABU was a good way to get relegated to the trash heap.

>"In 1563 the Amako of Izumo province won a victory over the Kikkawa with 33 of their adversaries wounded by tanegashima,[14] as a result, in the year 1567 Takeda Shingen announced that, "Hereafter, the guns will be the most important arms, therefore decrease the number of spears per unit, and have your most capable men carry guns".[15] Oda Nobunaga used tanegashima in the Battle of Anegawa (1570), and again against the powerful Takeda clan in the Battle of Nagashino (1575), 3,000 gunners helped win the battle, firing by volleys of a thousand at a time. They were concealed across a river and used breastworks to effectively stop enemy infantry and cavalry charges while being protected.[16] The defeat of the powerful Takeda clan brought about permanent changes in battle tactics.

>Japan became so enthusiastic about the new weapons that it possibly overtook every European country in absolute numbers produced.[10] Japan also used the guns in the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592, in which about a quarter of the invasion force of 160,000 were gunners.[17] They were extremely successful at first and managed to capture Seoul just 18 days after their landing at Pusan.[18]"

Japan was well on its way to developing native pike & shot tactics - and then the civil wars ended, the Tokugawa shogunate was established, and military science came to an effective halt - more accurately, went into reverse - for the next few hundred years.

Musashi's praise for firearms as an essential element of the battlefield ecosystem is well-documented, and shouldn't need to be repeated here.

The funniest part about the Nagashino myth is that people will write in the same fucking paragraph how the Takeda completely changed their doctrine to increase the use of firearms then turn around and say how the Takeda were defeated by guns like they weren’t also using them and never once question what they’re writing.

Takeda didn’t lose to the Oda because of guns, Takeda lost to the Oda because Katsuyori was one of the worst generals and statesmen of the period.

>Japan was well on its way to developing native pike & shot tactics
They weren’t “on the way,” they were using them.

>Ainu based class as equivalent to Druids
This interests me greatly. What Ainu myths/traditions can we use to build on this?

Does southeast asia count? All kinds of jumping off points there

Has anyone ever just made a "Pacific Ring" setting, featuring all the cultures that touch the Pacific? Shit would be cash.

I want to see more Sohei. They probably fall more into the traditional paladin role than the a monk or cleric role.

Yamabushi, if you combine Ninja and Monk.

A Ring of Fire setting would be sweet. It'd be a huge map of mostly water if we just used the Earth as is; I'd recommended condensing areas.

Including American West Coast?

>East Asia
>Polynesia

Basic four :
>Bushi [武士] (Fighter), focuses on Strength and Defense
>Onmyoji [陰陽師] (Mage), focuses on Offensive, Defensive, and Manipulation Magic
>Ninja [忍者] (Rogue), focuses on Dexterity and Agility
>Buddhist Monk [僧] (Cleric), focuses on Healing, Buff and Debuff Magic

Hybrid class :
>Bushi + Ninja = Kengou [剣豪] (Swordmaster)
>Buddhist Monk + Bushi = Sohei [僧兵] (Buddhist Warrior Monk)
>Ninja + Buddhist Monk = Yamabushi [山伏] or Shugenja [修験者] (Mountain Hermit Warrior)
>Onmyoji + Bushi = Housoushi [方相氏] (Exorcist)
>Ninja + Omnyoji = Sennin [仙人] (Hermit Sage)
>Omnyoji + Buddhist Monk = Fugeki [巫覡] (Shaman)

Basically, you should start with Ronin [浪人] (Wanderer/Freelancer) before develop into specific class

>ctrl+f
>miko
>0 results
>fujo
>0 results
not angry.
disappointed.

>fujo
What are these /y/fags have to do with tabletop character class?

I actually meant Kannushi, but brainfarted. I haven't slept in a long while.

>spesific

Since Miko and Kannushi counts as Shaman, they're equated with Fugeki like in here

I see.

If you mean Jap specific:
>Fighter
Bushi
>Rogue
Gokudo
>Cleric
Monk
>Wizard
Omnyoji
>Barbarian
Ronin
>Paladin
Sōhei
>Druid
Kannushi
>Sorcerer
Fugeki

Yes! Belligerent monks who are angry, angry about heresy!

Might want to be a little more specific there. I mean I don't want to be the typical "not all Asians are alike" asian but... There are devils in the details.

It's why plain DnD would work better if you want to run one set throughout all of east asia because The Fighter, the Rogue, The Wizard, and The Cleric all encompass a crapload of archetypes common across cultures.

Otherwise, I would say as races go, something I might suggest is that rather than have non-humans necessarily be non-humans, they're simply of human-hybrid bloodlines.

For example, refluff dragonborn to be noble houses who claim lineage with heavenly dragons, half-orcs are the hybrid spawn of men and oni, instead of elves you get the descendants of fox spirits (wait, would this mean kumiho descendants would be refluffed drow?)

What's a Gokudo?

Also, isn't Ronin technically a Mercenary?

>isn't Ronin technically a Mercenary?
samurai without lord
basically a wanderer

Oh ok. Still, why lump it with Barbarian class? Pirate (海賊) or Bandit (山賊) is more fitting.

Hw much of the traditional Japanese values are real and how much of it is just post-sengoku meme?

What about Taoist Hermit?

There were proper Mercenaries in Japan. The Saika Mercenaries were highly sought after riflemen and for a period swung every major conflict they participated in in favor of the side that hired them.

Pirates = Ninjas
Quite literally Ninja did all the Pirate and Banditry kind of activities you'd expect, and spend a surprising amount of time on sea. In fact, Hanzo Hattori died on the sea, killed by the second most famous ninja, Kotaro Fuma.

>Yes! Belligerent monks who are angry, angry about heresy!
Ikko Ikki then.

Belongs to the Chink class

>The Saika Mercenaries
Huh. I thought them as rebellious ashigaru.

He charged his cavalry across a river into a fortified position defended by pikes and guns. He was indeed a shitty general. Pretty much everyone by 1570 was massing gunners because gunners were objectively better than every other form of ranged weaponry.

>Hanzo Hattori
not a ninja

Both, Samurai and also Ninja, I say. The only full ninja are Fūma Kotaro and the legendary Sandayu Momiji.

>Pirates = Ninjas
Not Ninja, the Ronin. I mean why put the Ronin in Barbarian class? If they are wanderer, then they are pretty much best as a starting basic class.

Why? 'cause he was Spymaster for the Great Shogun and not some anti-establishment guy? He was the most succesful ninja.

Daoist is kinda rare in Japan.

Kind of?

Yeah. China has chunks of them of course, even until now.

Barbarian should be Emishi warrior

>Strategist

What perks do they have? INT? Then Omnyōji should already fill the role

What's the difference between Emishi and Ainu?

In reality, they were most likely merchenaries and shrine dependants who were angry about their rights to make a living off their institution's economy being infringed.

>Pirates = Ninjas

Pirates usually recruit from sea lord stock while the regions historically associated with ninjas were sworn brotherhood-communities that refused to submit to the Daimyo.

They're very different.

Add Ranger class equivalent : Sashu [射手] (Bowman) or Teppotou [鉄砲頭] (Rifleman)

What is Asia equivalent of Bards?

Biwa hōshi [琵琶法師] for men, Goze [瞽女] for women.

Komusou

May or may not also be assassins in disguise

Oriental Alchemist (錬丹術師)

4e had the moral boost classes right? Think a soldier/cleric class with Int based party buffs or debuff abilities, as well as being the skill class. Someone who lives martial theory and battle history as much as actual combat training.

This would be a cool idea. Oriental medicine and alchemy are often tied to ki and martial arts, and obviously magic, so you could could use it to round out holes in the classes you make.
>healer
>support/grenadier
>melee with support
Whatever you need.

You could just call the class Soldier, or run soldier into google translate if you want all the names to be poorly pronounced by your group. Give them a focus in spears and muskets, maybe defensive burst damage or the abilities to boost/defend allies.

Gokudo (極道) is not fitting as a thief class, they more like Yakuza brawlers or bouncers

>Barbarian should be Emishi warrior

or ranger

Doot doot